Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

2018 BATTLE OF THE DAWS!!

Comments

• @Jeezs said:
    Beatmaker III for me:

If it wasn’t what feels like abandonware it would definitely be on top of everone’s lost . However supposedly it’s supposed to still be in development

• GarageBand on iPhone for multitake/comping/audio edition, solid AU/AB/IAA, reliable rendering, MPE, loops mode... If they add AU midi and AU automation it will be even better/perfect for me.

• Cubasis, Beatmaker 3, and Stagelight.

• @Telstar5 said:
    Ok let’s say these 3 were the same price as desktop and you could only but one. Which one? And why? I have omitted Auria Pro because of the Fab Filter advantage and most people use it for mastering. It’s not really a midi DAW in the same way that these three are :Or better yet, rare them in order of your preference .
    The contenders

1-Nanostudio 2

2-Cubasis 2.7

3- Stagelight

4-Garageband

I don't have any of those on mine so can't really pick - though NS2 is winking at me for future spendage.

My problem with MIDI is CPU usage - having to have a load of apps loaded up to play it back just kills my Air2, so I tend to render the fat down to audio.

What I do use though is AUM, with a bunch of AU's that are triggered by a bunch of MIDI sequencers such as Riffer, Steppolyarp and Rozeta, so that would be my preference - even though it's recorded as audio.

• edited December 2018

What's the point of this? There is no such thing as "best daw" even on desktop ...

There is just "This daw best fits my workflow and my needs" .. which is totally subjective point of view ..

• edited December 2018

@Janosax said:
    GarageBand on iPhone for multitake/comping/audio edition, solid AU/AB/IAA, reliable rendering, MPE, loops mode... If they add AU midi and AU automation it will be even better/perfect for me.

@Janosax : With all your expertise on the other DAWS it’s STILL GB for you? Interesting!
    I thought you were into Stagelight for some reason.

• @dendy said:
    What's the point of this? There is no such thing as "best daw" even on desktop ...

There is just "This daw best fits my workflow and my needs" .. which is totally subjective point of view ..

That’s what I mean. “best DAW “ for YOU. I thought that was implicit . > @SMKArtist said:

Cubasis, Beatmaker 3, and Stagelight.

• @SMKArtist said:
    Cubasis, Beatmaker 3, and Stagelight.

@SMKArtist :Now THAT’S a combination I haven’t heard of . What’s Cubasis do for you that Stagelight doesn’t , and vice versa? I don’t have to include BM3 into that question because I already know, as a sampler it is without peer .

• Just make (another) poll....

• @Pierre118 said:
    Auria Pro

As Insaid Auria Oro is no fair . W the FF’s it’s TOO Pro!

• https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30317/ios-maker-types#latest

This should be considered here. I know it’s pretty tongue in cheek, but it does show the vast variety of DAW / Host uses - There simply can’t be one to rule them all because one simply can’t please them all!

• AUM
    BM3
    Auria Pro - I don’t have the FF so is it allowed?

@Telstar5 said:

@Jeezs said:
    Beatmaker III for me:

If it wasn’t what feels like abandonware it would definitely be on top of everone’s lost . However supposedly it’s supposed to still be in development

Say what? BM3 is still being frequently updated, are you thinking of BM2?

• @1nsomniak said:
    AUM
    BM3
    Auria Pro - I don’t have the FF so is it allowed?

@Telstar5 said:

@Jeezs said:
    Beatmaker III for me:

Say what? BM3 is still being frequently updated, are you thinking of BM2?

Wasn’t there supposed to be a major one months ago though? 3.1?

• edited December 2018

@Telstar5 said:

@Janosax said:
    GarageBand on iPhone for multitake/comping/audio edition, solid AU/AB/IAA, reliable rendering, MPE, loops mode... If they add AU midi and AU automation it will be even better/perfect for me.

@Janosax : With all your expertise on the other DAWS it’s STILL GB for you? Interesting!
    I thought you were into Stagelight for some reason.

I think the best way to describe it is: I just like it!!

No shame, I dig GarageBand!!!

It has to do with workflow and personal needs. There are also habits. For example, on laptop I use Live but I can’t spend more than 10 mn on Bitwig even if they share similar concepts. I can’t work in Cubase or Reaper too, I have difficulties with traditional DAWS.

On iOS, GarageBand lacks this and that, everybody agrees it. Some hate it, others love it. The fun thing is I don’t use that much its internal sounds. I consider it as an AU host, audio and midi arranger/sequencer including for my other apps, just like a DAW in laptop world.

As I said GB does AU/AB/IAA really well. One important thing to me is reliable rendering, GB does it perfectly. It does MPE well too, iFretless bass/Geoshred(rendering will be fixed)/Volt/Roli works so well in GB. Multitake is a huge thing in that DAW, you can really record audio or midi in as much passes as you need, select the best part, arrange your solo, copy paste trim split quickly. I find it touch friendly for that. I can sync via IAA apeMatrix/Rozeta, AUM, Gadget, Blocs wave using if needed Midi Link Sync, there is RouteMIDI to send midi to ApeM for example, and there is ApeM AU send Receive for busses routing. Audio editing allows for easy Apple Loops pitch shift/ time stretch, so you can do nice and creative drum or synth parts editing for example. Volume automation is the only one you get but you can copy/paste portions, and with AU send receive you can do cool automation stuff. For more automation movement/life, ApeM LFO’s synced to GB all the way or new 4pockets Filtermorph. Loops view works greatly with pre-lenght audio loops (even Ableton don’t do that with audio clips). Easy copy paste of multiple loops between scenes. You can even copy paste trim split reverse time stretch pitch shift individual Apple loops IN loop VIEW, which is a crazy good feature. All audio edition is non destructive, same thing for quantize. When looping in arrangement view midi clock will stay in sync, which is another important thing.

With iOS 12 the app is less sluggish, and I like the fact that most options are hidden. When you know them you will be fast, and the GUI is more clean and minimalist visually that way so I can focus on sound, like in AUM for example.

GB allows me to keep modular iOS music making experience in a DAW.

StageLight lacks most of that, and I need all of this for my workflow and my music to be made. Just try to copy a loop in loop view, you need to do it one by one. Or scrolling in arrangement by buttons instead of swiping whole screen. It’s more a desktop DAW with lot of buttons I have often to tap twice because they’re so small on iPhone. It’s very capable and is an amazing DAW with a nice team, it will improve that’s for sure and I can’t say I will never switch. But the fact is I don’t feel it and I haven’t finished a song with SL yet at the same level I’ve done in GB.

Feeling, personal needs, every iOS musician has its own workflow. There is no best app. This is just why I prefer GB for ME. Great for my saxophone needs, and the way I do tracks.

In desktop world, it’s a very commonly admited fact that there is no best DAW, each musician has its own one.

• @Janosax : That’s one of the best comments I’ve seen on here ever, thanks for that . , I ha ent used Harageband too much but that exporting stems thing or lack there of is scaring me off whereas in NS2 it’s SO much easier .

• I recently deleted StageLight. I was only using it for making basic beats using the copy to timeline from loops. Problem is that if you then take the timeline midi out to another app, it is different than the linear timeline.

I thought it would be an easy way to get some basic structure then have that midi elsewhere for apps that I prefer to work in - it doesn’t work though.

• AUM / Audiobus 3 / Cubasis 2.7 for me...

• Reaper on ios would be great

• @Janosax and @Fruitbat1919 : Have either of you played with “Sampleverse “?

• I find that it’s VERY easy to compress and overdrive individual drum sounds on Stage light .. Making them punchy , etc...

• @Telstar5 said:
    @Janosax and @Fruitbat1919 : Have either of you played with “Sampleverse “?

I couldnt spend an awful lot of time in SL because it hurts my head due to the colour scheme. I was just going to use it as a quick in out for beats, but the export of midi didn’t work for me, so ditched it for now.

SL has an awful lot of promise, but not for me at this time.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Telstar5 said:

I couldnt spend an awful lot of time in SL because it hurts my head due to the colour scheme. I was just going to use it as a quick in out for beats, but the export of midi didn’t work for me, so ditched it for now.

@Fruitbat1919 : Yeah, I know what you mean about the color scheme but it isn’t so bad once you leave that main grid . And the resizing works really well. Couldn’t you have done this (basic structuring /midi) w NS2?

• @Telstar5 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Telstar5 said:

@Fruitbat1919 : Yeah, I know what you mean about the color scheme but it isn’t so bad once you leave that main grid . And the resizing works really well. Couldn’t you have done this (basic structuring /midi) w NS2?

Do most basic song structure in NS2 now. I just quite liked the different feel of SL to start with - not worth making my head worse though - I have enough trouble with my head as it is.

• @Telstar5 said:
    That’s what I mean. “best DAW “ for YOU. I thought that was implicit .

Ah ok. Then Nanostudio 2 :-D Far away, no competition at all :lol:

• Been using GB but never seemed right - though I can see all its plus points and advantages. Bought NS2 but audio is a must have for my trumpet lines! So, I bought Cubasis yesterday. Feels at home with it immediately though could be because I’ve been a desktop Cubase user for years when I have been writing and recording.

• @Telstar5 said:
    Ok let’s say these 3 were the same price as desktop and you could only but one. Which one? And why? I have omitted Auria Pro because of the Fab Filter advantage and most people use it for mastering. It’s not really a midi DAW in the same way that these three are :Or better yet, rare them in order of your preference .
    The contenders

1-Nanostudio 2

2-Cubasis 2.7

3- Stagelight

4-Garageband

Auria for much due to FAB FILTER iAP.........can't touch them.

Cubasis for laying out tracks and refining the original jam melody concepts in a more structured way

Stagelight for jamming and experimenting with new sounds via IAP for inspiration. Not workflow official until sync available.........

NS2......don't have. Not sure on what I think if I will get.....well I will buy....not sure when.

BM3.............Love Hate.............love hate.......loves me....loves me not.........

THE REAL QUESTION IS WHEN WILL DEV JUST COPY ABLETON ALREADY........FROM GUI TO FX AS INDIVIDUAL APPS....TO EVERYTHING ABOUT IT?

I DON'T GET IT.

THE FIRST DAW ON IOS TO DO PROPER CLIP LAUNCHING LIKE LAUNCHPAD APP OR ABLETON IN A CLEAR CONCISE WAY WILL DOMINATE.

Frankly I am good on DAW

WHAT I WANT IS MODSTEP 2.0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MMMMMMMooooooooDDDDDDDSSSSTTTEEEEPPPPPP!

• Auria Pro, even for MIDI, and Garageband for the Drummer and smart instruments.

• @theconnactic said:
    Auria Pro, even for MIDI, and Garageband for the Drummer and smart instruments.

I would pay $50 for Garageband as an input instrument/generator.....