Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GeoShred 3 with AUv3 and iCloud Support

2»

Comments

• edited December 2018

@moForte said:
    @MobileMusic - Can you drop us a note at [email protected]. We'd like to talk about how to reproduce the plugin window issue that you noted.

@Fruitbat1919 - Can you drop us a note as well, [email protected]. We worked with Beta testers on some of the DAWs that you mention, but would like to chat with you about the ones you found challenges with. Specifically BM3. We worked with a user on BM3 and could not find a way for BM3 to route MIDI from the plugin (like what AB3 does).

Thanks, and we look forward to chatting with both of you.
    Pat Scandalis
    CEO/CTO moForte Inc.

From what I know, it’s unlikely you can sort it out from your end, apart form maybe some issues with the app not opening in NS2. The three that I say that your app does not record in, all have issues with AU midi, or do not have AU midi at this time. Only Cubasis and Auria Pro are able to record AU midi. It’s most likely this is the issue.

I will however get in touch :)

Contacted.

• edited December 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    My findings so far (Air2 latest iOS):

Cubasis - Loads and records.
    NS2 - Loads occasionally, does not record.
    BM3 - Loads but does not record.
    SL - Loads but does not record.

I keep being reminded why I keep Cubasis in my set up!

Cubasis’ implementation of AU, IAA, Audiobus, etc are rock solid - they nailed them. They keep updating these integrations with the latest APIs and libraries.

• @MobileMusic said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    My findings so far (Air2 latest iOS):

Cubasis - Loads and records.
    NS2 - Loads occasionally, does not record.
    BM3 - Loads but does not record.

I keep being reminded why I keep Cubasis in my set up!

Cubasis’ implementation of AU, IAA, Audiobus, etc are rock solid - they nailed them.

Cubasis may lack some features I would really like, but it always remains in my setup due to the reasons you state.

• Has anyone managed to get Geoshred Midi out working in AUM?

• @theartwebreathe said:
    Has anyone managed to get Geoshred Midi out working in AUM?

Yes, it works well. Even MPE works.

• @moForte It seems Geoshred AUv3 MIDI output has faulty timestamps (out of bounds for the current render cycle). Please take a look here: http://devnotes.kymatica.com/ios_midi_timestamps

• @j_liljedahl said:
    @moForte It seems Geoshred AUv3 MIDI output has faulty timestamps (out of bounds for the current render cycle). Please take a look here: http://devnotes.kymatica.com/ios_midi_timestamps

....this might be what's causing stuck notes for me

• i am also experiencing stuck notes

• @j_liljedahl @Carnbot @wellingtonCres @moForte I experienced stuck notes as well, hosted in AUM, 2 apps I tried synthmaster one and sunrizer. I am updated to the latests iOS on my iPAd pro 12.9. We shall see.

• @moForte I also just updated to the latests iOS and got less stuck notes but I also got stuck notes in stand alone mode when sending midi to Ableton Live.

• One thing I’m noticing is the amp vol returns to normal in GarageBand after I exit the au screen once I turn it down. The app is very loud as an au

• edited December 2018

@moForte said:
    @MobileMusic - Can you drop us a note at [email protected]. We'd like to talk about how to reproduce the plugin window issue that you noted.

@Fruitbat1919 - Can you drop us a note as well, [email protected]. We worked with Beta testers on some of the DAWs that you mention, but would like to chat with you about the ones you found challenges with. Specifically BM3. We worked with a user on BM3 and could not find a way for BM3 to route MIDI from the plugin (like what AB3 does).

Thanks, and we look forward to chatting with both of you.
    Pat Scandalis
    CEO/CTO moForte Inc.

Pat, I did not do anything fancy. Here is a screen recording on 12.9”:

Same issue on 11” too

• @MobileMusic Please drop us a line at [email protected]. We would like to talk about what you are seeing in Cubasis and want to figure out why GeoShred is rendering in only part of the plugin window. -Pat Scandalis CEO/CTO moForte inc.

• @moForte said:
    @MobileMusic Please drop us a line at [email protected]. We would like to talk about what you are seeing in Cubasis and want to figure out why GeoShred is rendering in only part of the plugin window. -Pat Scandalis CEO/CTO moForte inc.

Contacted

• edited December 2018

The sound generator works fine with other MIDI data, just no data from the keyboard getting through.
    Driving two Geoshreds from one in ApeMatrix works fine.

• edited December 2018

@tomato_juice said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I feel as though this is a big NS2 addition. Had it recording well in there, but only via the inhouse keyboard which kind of negates the slide hijinks...sure I just need to push the right button somewhere....

I think you might have stumbled into one of those “Why isn’t AU MIDI working properly?” issues that got everybody’s blood up when NS2 arrived.

I had a similar thing with iFretless bass and ended up running 2 instances - one inside NS2 (sound module) and another one sending midi at it from outside (controller). It’s not ideal, but it’s a way to noodle and record without waiting around for a fix.

Hi @tomato_juice

Great idea... but can I ask:

• presumably you mean record the midi into NS2? (Rather than somehow being able to record the audio output of the sound module AU in NS2 - which would be amazing but I can’t see how that would be possible).
    • I don’t have iFretless bass but were you just running it as a stand-alone? And I presume it has midi out then?

I’m interested because I might try something similar with Volt.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@tomato_juice said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I feel as though this is a big NS2 addition. Had it recording well in there, but only via the inhouse keyboard which kind of negates the slide hijinks...sure I just need to push the right button somewhere....

I think you might have stumbled into one of those “Why isn’t AU MIDI working properly?” issues that got everybody’s blood up when NS2 arrived.

I had a similar thing with iFretless bass and ended up running 2 instances - one inside NS2 (sound module) and another one sending midi at it from outside (controller). It’s not ideal, but it’s a way to noodle and record without waiting around for a fix.

Hi @tomato_juice

• presumably you mean record the midi into NS2? (Rather than somehow being able to record the audio output of the sound module AU in NS2 - which would be amazing but I can’t see how that would be possible).
    • I don’t have iFretless bass but were you just running it as a stand-alone? And I presume it has midi out then?

Morning Matt,

Yes, I was recording MIDI into the timeline from a standalone instance, but hearing the sound of an AU instance hosted within NS2. I don't have Volt but I expect it'd be much the same.

Should probably mention that I had to change the pitch bend range. In iFretless I think it's set to 2 semitones by default, but when you're playing with 9 or 10 frets, it's natural to want the full slidey range, so that had to be bumped up to match. Volt might be different here, but FYI.

Happy noodles :)

• @tomato_juice said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@tomato_juice said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Hi @tomato_juice

Morning Matt,

Yes, I was recording MIDI into the timeline from a standalone instance, but hearing the sound of an AU instance hosted within NS2. I don't have Volt but I expect it'd be much the same.

Should probably mention that I had to change the pitch bend range. In iFretless I think it's set to 2 semitones by default, but when you're playing with 9 or 10 frets, it's natural to want the full slidey range, so that had to be bumped up to match. Volt might be different here, but FYI.

Happy noodles :)

Thanks @tomato_juice - much appreciated.

So pitch bend range is one of the things I’m having difficulty with. Exactly as you say, I want 24 or 48 for the pitch bend range and I know my Lightblock is sending that (presumably iFretless was sending something similar) - but I found that NS2 would only record a pitch bend range of up to 3. Did you find the same, or would it record a much wider pitch bend range? And did you find a way to configure pitch bend range inside NS2?

Any help on this much appreciated.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 No worries. As I understand it, it's an instrument-level thing, not an issue with the MIDI. Check in Volt (the sound generating instance) and see if you can widen the range there. If that's not working, you can try triggering an instance of Obsidian, where you can definitely widen the range (look for 'pitch wheel' in the mod matrix - it's already there in the Init patch).

• would any of the current DAWs allow me to have an instance/track of GeoShred which is acting only as a real time controller for one of the other tracks? E.G. GeoShred in track 1 with one of its MIDI controller presets on; a synth on track 2 receiving MIDI from track 1 Geo; I hit record and perform on Geo in track 1 and it gets recorded in/with the track 2 synth.

(many bonus points if an iPhone DAW can do it. Haven't been able to achieve in Audio Evolution or Stagelight).

• @JonLewis said:
    would any of the current DAWs allow me to have an instance/track of GeoShred which is acting only as a real time controller for one of the other tracks? E.G. GeoShred in track 1 with one of its MIDI controller presets on; a synth on track 2 receiving MIDI from track 1 Geo; I hit record and perform on Geo in track 1 and it gets recorded in/with the track 2 synth.

(many bonus points if an iPhone DAW can do it. Haven't been able to achieve in Audio Evolution or Stagelight).

Yes this was addressed in 3.6.1. There are now 2 AUV3 interfaces for GeoShred, one for the Instrument and one for the MIDI Controller. You can used the MIDI controller to control instruments in DAWs like Cubasis. We have not found a way for a MIDI controller AUv3 in GarageBand to control a software instrument.