Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Permafrost - (and further thoughts about Nanostudio 2)

Now that I'm getting to know NS2 a little better (not that it takes that long to get to grips with it) I'm really enjoying working with it. It gets out of your way and really lets you just have fun and be creative.

It has the immediacy of working in Gadget, but with a much better timeline (with Gadget you are forced to work in loops/scenes, whereas in NS2 you can work in loops when you want, and more linearly when it's more suitable). The synth in NS2 is just about versatile enough to replace a lot of the synths and romplers in Gadget but it also has AU so the potential palette of sounds is really wide. Obsidian can provide quite a lot of sounds by itself.

Then there is the sampler (and sample synthesis), I'm just scratching the surface but it's really quite good. The only glaring omission is the lack of timestretching - I would really like to see that added just to expand the options of what's possible. But otherwise with the spectral sampling and the modulation options this things is going to be able to produce some really out-there sounds IMO.

Comments

• Yes, with just a few small things added and tweaked, NS2 would become my most productive music making app.

• I really like this track. Were you using some of the Acoustic IAPs here?

• encenc
    edited December 2018

Still on the fence wether to buy or not :s /

• Nice track. Very chilling. Are the bells samples or synthesis from Obsidian (FM maybe)?

• @tja said:
    nice!

@Eye0sStudios said:
    Like this!!!

@kitejan said:
    I really like this track. Were you using some of the Acoustic IAPs here?

The actual acoustic guitar part is from an old and discarded track I wrote ages ago (the guitar is sped up and put through Replicant 2 so it sounds more intricate than it really is). However some of the vocal samples are from the acoustic IAPs, although I changed them quite a bit.

• @Cib said:
    Nice track. Very chilling. Are the bells samples or synthesis from Obsidian (FM maybe)?

Thanks. The bells are a straight preset from one of the Acoustic IAPs: BellSharp. It's a sample based sound I believe.

• @richardyot More good stuff. Need to put some words on this one Mister. Sucker for the guitar marriage with the rest of it here, adds such another dimension....NS is something isn't it? Def. pushing my buttons.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    ....NS is something isn't it? Def. pushing my buttons.

Still trying to work out what that something is and whether it's a thing that I need in my life. See also, Stagelight

• @Jocphone said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Still trying to work out what that something is and whether it's a thing that I need in my life. See also, Stagelight

I guess it's all style/workflow/something or other. I will admit that I was fond (in memory mostly) of NS1, so that predicated me favorably towards its successor, but I also opened it and started making stuff right away. Now, I am also one of the least technical people on this board, so maybe being special I need special tools :)...

....by no means a pissing contest, I can see Stagelight has a lot going for it, I actually admire pieces of FL, I still use (and will continue to) Auria, Beathawk is often brilliant and I think Cubasis has much to offer and BM3 is in many ways out on its own...

BUT I just wanna write songs, and for all its other limitations Gadget was often a place where that got most successfully done (for me) but now, and while very different, NS2 has slid straight into that spot but also feels ten times more so (and I'm pretty sure there's a lot more coming...)....

• edited December 2018

Nanostudio 2 is a beast. Working on my first song for a few days now, there are already 16 tracks in it and it's been a blast during all the process. Never been so easy and fun to compose music on the ipad.

• edited December 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @richardyot More good stuff. Need to put some words on this one Mister. Sucker for the guitar marriage with the rest of it here, adds such another dimension....NS is something isn't it? Def. pushing my buttons.

Thanks! I'm taking a break from vocals, just enjoying blasting out instrumentals :)

• @Jocphone said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

As Johnny says, I think it's the workflow/process more than anything. The app gets out of your way, it's similar to Gadget but with a (much) better sampler and a linear timeline.

Sagelight is free to try though, so there isn't much risk in dipping your toes there. I haven't given it a spin yet, but I will sometime next year. I think it's main USP is the clip launching, but I tend to prefer working in a linear timeline.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Jocphone said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I guess it's all style/workflow/something or other. I will admit that I was fond (in memory mostly) of NS1, so that predicated me favorably towards its successor, but I also opened it and started making stuff right away. Now, I am also one of the least technical people on this board, so maybe being special I need special tools :)...

....by no means a pissing contest, I can see Stagelight has a lot going for it, I actually admire pieces of FL, I still use (and will continue to) Auria, Beathawk is often brilliant and I think Cubasis has much to offer and BM3 is in many ways out on its own...

BUT I just wanna write songs, and for all its other limitations Gadget was often a place where that got most successfully done (for me) but now, and while very different, NS2 has slid straight into that spot but also feels ten times more so (and I'm pretty sure there's a lot more coming...)....

I think I'm with you on the just want to write songs. I did use Gadget for that several years ago but found the limitations and lack of freeform squawking/noodling a bit of leash where I least needed it.

@richardyot said:

@Jocphone said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

As Johnny says, I think it's the workflow/process more than anything. The app gets out of your way, it's similar to Gadget but with a (much) better sampler and a linear timeline.

Sagelight is free to try though, so there isn't much risk in dipping your toes there. I haven't given it a spin yet, but I will sometime next year. I think it's main USP is the clip launching, but I tend to prefer working in a linear timeline.

Workflow is hugely important in my collection of doodles and scribbles. I tried Stagelight and did actually like it but still have a yearning for something simpler. May have to do a bit more recon on NS2..

• edited December 2018

@richardyot I like this track a lot! Making me want to buy NS2, but kinda spent a lot in the last few months on Korg and Fabfilter sales :( :s
    Love the chord progression - 1min - 4min - 5 min - 7 maj was it (Amin ;) ,Dmin,Emin,Gmaj)?

Loved the guitar strum backing! iOS or recorded guitar (wish I played!)
    Vocals are samples?

• @Jmcmillan said:
    @richardyot I like this track a lot! Making me want to buy NS2, but kinda spent a lot in the last few months on Korg and Fabfilter sales :( :s
    Love the chord progression - 1min - 4min - 5 min - 7 maj was it (Amin ;) ,Dmin,Emin,Gmaj)?

Loved the guitar strum backing! iOS or recorded guitar (wish I played!)
    Vocals are samples?

Thanks!

You've got the progression spot on :) It's in A minor ;) There's 3 bars of Am Dm Em G and then one bar of Asus2 Asus4 F C. The final bar add some nice tension and excitement with the suspended chords and the major chord resolution.

Vocals are mangled samples.

• @richardyot is that you playing acoustic?

• @Jmcmillan said:
    @richardyot is that you playing acoustic?

Yes, but the loop was sped up quite a bit and then run through Replicant 2, so it sounds a lot better than it actually was at the time :)

• Nice!!have yet to try ns2 but permafrost is a strain I have tried many times and even grew for over 6 years, every time i see that word I can just taste the PERMAFROST 😄🌈🎄🎄