Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FINAL COUNTDOWN: ELEKTRON(Octa or Digitakt)

I have Digitakt here in box.

Octa is en route.

One stays one goes.

Last thread on this.

Overbridge?

Does it work with each?

Pros or Cons?

Other fact to keep in mind in deciding?

BOTH IS NOT AN OPTION! LOL

I also have a new mixer w Fx if I keep Digitakt as a side note.

And a Volka keys.

So I either go with OCTATRACK

or

DIGITAKT, NEW MIXER w FX, and VOLCA KEYS

HELP ME DECIDE!

Comments

• I can’t help but gosh, you’ve got some fun ahead!

• Really depends on what you want to do with it. Do you want it as a drum machine? Or a more general purpose sampler/looper/mixer/other weird things?

Aside from the fact that they both work with samples they really aren't that similar. Digitakt is definitely easier to use/quicker to get started with. Octa definitely has much more flexibility, but can be somewhat daunting.

Personally I can justify having both as they do such different things. I use the Digitakt as a drum sampler, which it excels at whereas the Octatrack is a bit more clumsy to use for; and the Octatrack acts as the "hub" of my setup, adding effects to live inputs (effects on the OT are more flexible and can be applied to live inputs, but the delay and reverb on the Digitakt sound better), capturing loops from my hardware/iPad, and doing atmospheric sample type stuff.

Really hard to say which you should keep if both really isn't an option. Personally I'd keep the Octatrack as it can do a lot of what the Digitakt does, just with less immediacy, and I find the OT a really inspiring device... but it's a hard choice.

Octatrack does not, and never will, support Overbridge, if that influences you at all!

• So

I am gonna be using the following:

Circuit
    MonoStation
    3 iPads
    5 Midi controllers
    MacBook Pro Ableton and DJ software

I have an audio interface or 2.

I am looking to compliment the existing items and glue them together.

I feel like the OCTA could simplify (after learning) the multiple pieces and connections into maybe like the Circuit, MonoStatinon Audio into Octa along with the iPads and then the MacBook as a independent complimentary item.

Yeah, price is in back of my mind but obviously if I bought all them or have them in route I can AFFORD, yes.

But want to get what I need.
    "
    I do feel the OCTA in my heart may be what I want but just trying to be frugal

but that is stupid, it's Christmas.

ONE ISSUE I HAVE:

I see how the DIGITAKT screen is better and over bridge doesn't work well with OCTA and little things

But in big picture does that matter for the benefits of OCTA?

I would love to eliminate all but 1 iPad in reality anyway and a well....I guess I am answering my own question

BUT LOVE YOUR HELP AND THE FRIENDLY CONVERSATION!

• @kinkujin said:
    I can’t help but gosh, you’ve got some fun ahead!

LOL

Thanks MATE

• edited December 2018

Depends what you need it for?
    Are you planning to use it for one-shots like Patterning? DT is enough.
    For loop mangling as well like Egoist/SECTOR? OT
    Overbridge - OT never going to have OB support. DT will eventually, but it's late for 2 years, probably won't be out for another half year.
    To avoid disappointment IMO choose for what they are <-> what they might become eventually. I think OB is bold move from Elektron, definitely a useful feature, but never worked as expected, and will require a lot of patience - it WILL get broken with every major OS update, it WON'T work properly with every DAW, and likely to get broken with major DAW updates too.
    PS: OT can be used as 4in/4out (mono) mixer with p-lockable fx.

Edit: Have you read posts on the other thread you created? At this point there isn't much new can be said about them...

• @RUST( i )K said:
    I see how the DIGITAKT screen is better and over bridge doesn't work well with OCTA and little things

OT never was and never will be supported for OB.
    The screen is definitely better on DT, but the one in OT is likely to last longer.

• @recccp said:
    Depends what you need it for?
    Are you planning to use it for one-shots like Patterning? DT is enough.
    For loop mangling as well like Egoist/SECTOR? OT
    Overbridge - OT never going to have OB support. DT will eventually, but it's late for 2 years, probably won't be out for another half year.
    To avoid disappointment IMO choose for what they are <-> what they might become eventually. I think OB is bold move from Elektron, definitely a useful feature, but never worked as expected, and will require a lot of patience - it WILL get broken with every major OS update, it WON'T work properly with every DAW, and likely to get broken with major DAW updates too.
    PS: OT can be used as 4in/4out (mono) mixer with p-lockable fx.

Edit: Have you read posts on the other thread you created? At this point there isn't much new can be said about them...

I did and appreciate all the input.

I guess the overbridge was one remaining thing.

I almost wished I didn't have such ability to choose.

But I appreciate your help and it HAS HELPED ME FOR REAL.

I respect you guys in here a bunch.

• Wait, you're going to have both of them anyway in your house?

I guess a few hours of play with each will decide it for you.

• @GovernorSilver said:
    Wait, you're going to have both of them anyway in your house?

I guess a few hours of play with each will decide it for you.

Yes, this is the only way to decide without regret. And sleep one night before deciding.
    Hardware is not (only) about functionality, but about having fun in a way a touchscreen or mouse isn't.
    Some people prefer the Octa, some the Digi. People are different.

• No overbridge with octatrack your decision got easier

• Ot-seems to be more sample mangling than digitakt by far, but that comes with ancient system, ancient screen, and evil workflow...

I know that Dean from
    electronisounds has one as of recently but I think he still may be trying to get a workflow with it...you may wanna ask him about OT

• Digitakt is short mono samples, OT is stereo loops and longer recordings. I vote OT, it's not that hard to learn if you know what you want to use it for.

• @Tarekith said:
    Digitakt is short mono samples, OT is stereo loops and longer recordings. I vote OT, it's not that hard to learn if you know what you want to use it for.

I agree with Tarekith, OT is on another level. I’ve got both and have let my fiends borrow the digitakt because it’s rarely used.

You need to approach it with a particular use case in mind. I use mine as an on the fly looper, but now starting to transfer these loops into full songs using parts / scenes.

Stick with, search you tube for zhaomusic, the guys tutorials really helped me :)

• overbridge beta works pretty good for a lot of people, some want It released in it's current form already.... I'm waiting for the final release and do not use the beta... the digitakt is so good I don't care if they never release over bridge but it will certainly make things more convenient when they do.

• If you have a MacBook running Ableton in my opinion I’d definitely get the Octatrack. Man. All of Elektrons stuff is serious business but the Octa is a mind bending beast of a machine. You can do so much with it and I know you’re gonna kill on it. It’s the shit.

• edited December 2018

@Morgman73 said:
    If you have a MacBook running Ableton in my opinion I’d definitely get the Octatrack. Man. All of Elektrons stuff is serious business but the Octa is a mind bending beast of a machine. You can do so much with it and I know you’re gonna kill on it. It’s the shit.

For Ableton Live users, I'd recommend checking out:

• How to make the best use of Live's CrossFader (like in the OT)
    • Push 2
    • The Sonic Faction Tricky Traps
      I'm not saying this to argue against the OT - taking the time to practice using it can be rewarding.
      I say this because some compositional and random sequencing modules in the SF add-ins will certainly trigger emotions in die-hard Axon/Rozeta/Xequence/other RND users :smiley:

Also, Suite's included SF Probability Pack is worth a look:

• edited December 2018

Push 2 and Digitakt..

I have been going back and forwards on whether to get an Octatrack or a Push 2.

I already have a Digitakt and it’s definitely a keeper. I sold it once and bought again because I missed it haha.

I want to work with stereo samples though, and after some long hard thinking on the matter, the push 2 is light years ahead in the editing and time stretching features of samples. Sure the OT is deep as hell and you reasons for getting the OT may be different to mine. But the workflow on the OT is so dated and archaic, where as the Push 2 with its high Rez screen and Ableton 10 is smooth and fast. If I want to work standalone then I can use the Digitakt, then later pipe the 8 tracks through overbridge into Ableton. Then mangle and arrange, chop and skew, layer on stereo samples, etc with the Push 2.

Not to mention mixing/mastering and arrangement. Break out of the Elektron pattern based workflow with Ableton.

Just my 2c

• make that 4c, on computer there is just nothing like ableton + push , this combination holds the key to many a universe.

• The Octatrack is an all-timer. It can do so, so much stuff. All in its own quirky way, but put in the hours and you’ll find a way that works for you!

• O C T A
    .......R....
    .......A....
    .......C....
    .......K....

• @Morgman73 said:
    If you have a MacBook running Ableton in my opinion I’d definitely get the Octatrack. Man. All of Elektrons stuff is serious business but the Octa is a mind bending beast of a machine. You can do so much with it and I know you’re gonna kill on it. It’s the shit.

Do you use OT w Ableton?

How so?

Justwondering.

Thanks

• edited December 2018

@rs2000 cheers for posting that. This thread started getting me to wonder what I’m missing in hardware. Use to have a multitude of it then since Ableton v2 I’ve been way more productive mousing things in. Do have a Push though and this subject also got me to think how I could replicate similar then you answered it. Have what you mentioned in Max but kinda forgot about it so thanks.

• I've been able to get on with the Octatrack because there were some very specific things I wanted to do with it, and I focused just on learning those specific thing. Once you get it and browse through the manual, the features can seem overwhelming if you're not settled on a particular thing.

If you're not sure what you want out of either machine, a few hours of play on both plus a good nights sleep should help you decide. I've found over time that specs are not as important as physically working with the machine and figuring out if it works for you as a creative tool, or seems to fight you at every step.

• @bounce said:
    @rs2000 cheers for posting that. This thread started getting me to wonder what I’m missing in hardware. Use to have a multitude of it then since Ableton v2 I’ve been way more productive mousing things in. Do have a Push though and this subject also got me to think how I could replicate similar then you answered it. Have what you mentioned in Max but kinda forgot about it so thanks.

You're welcome :smiley:
    I know how easy it is to forget what we already have, in the shadow of something new and bright ;)

• Ok not to hijack this thread but since it’s about making music and gear I’m just gonna leave this here:

But fwiw, I’d send the OT back, keep the DT and order an OP-Z and be done for the year 2018. 🤪

The OP-Z seems like a fantastic little sequencer in a very small footprint.

• OT is almost like a vintage sampler nowadays... apart from P Locks - its all getting a bit dated.
    I had one for about 8 months, tried so hard to love it, but in the end the whole thing just felt like a trick box - with a stupidly unintuitive OS = Not worth further time investment for me.

It's really only a matter of time that we get more modern designed software / or hardware with PLocks that can be played by IOS or external midi controllers.

Yeah - get an OP-Z / or have a holiday :#

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Morgman73 said:

Do you use OT w Ableton?

How so?

Justwondering.

Thanks

@RUST( i )K said:

@Morgman73 said:

Do you use OT w Ableton?

How so?

Justwondering.

Thanks

• @RUST( i )K I don’t own OT. Wish I did. When I have the cash it is going to be purchased. I run Live 10 and ive owned a Machine Drum and The Sid Station since they came out. I know how completely powerful and fun these machines are. I love making music on iOS. It’s the shit. But I. The last year I find myself back in front of my MacBook for some reason? Faster, less buggy, and as deep as you want to go. You know this. But of course making tracks on my phone and iPad is fun and super convenient. And of course the fact that we can buy everything that’s worth buying without tripping on the cost at all is kinda what keeps me glued to my iOS devices. It’s challenging. Ableton, not so much. It does what I need it to do without any gnarly problem solving. Anyways, I have spent a bunch of time on my best buds OT and it’s so insane that when I think about it not being readily available to mess with when I feel like it, man that makes me sad. This is how I know that it’s a absolute must have. Dude. It’s beyond fun and it’s constructive in a mind blowing way.