Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Really digging garage band

So I've been using iOS to make music for a while now and I have pages and folders full of synths and effects on my iPad, but since I got this xs max I've really been digging just jamming out with alchemy in garage band, something about the way it fits the screen and is simple to get going with ideas, plus that stereo sound 🤤🤤 just has me hooked!
I know we all wish it was ab compatible or that we could load auv3s in it, and I do as well, but I think it's worth the effort to record and export the audio out to whatever we prefer to use, cuz man, alchemy sounds so good, and there a lot of free presets that really shine! Especially for arps/pads , I like jamming it better on my xs max than I do my iPad tho haha it just looks and sounds so good!

Comments

• edited December 2018

@reasOne said:
    I know we all wish it was ab compatible or that we could load auv3s in it...

Was that a typo?
    You know it can load Audio Units?

• @blakkaz said:

@reasOne said:
    I know we all wish it was ab compatible or that we could load auv3s in it...

Was that a typo?
    You know it can load Audio Units?

Yes it can. No Au midi though - but here GarageBand doesn’t shine. To me it’s so in-intuitive to load Au FX and to fine my way to these different screens... don’t like that. I know where I want to go, but I get lost to this screen 7 out of 10 times. NS2 made surprisingly quickly click in my brain 🧠 :)

• I keep giving GB a go now and then, but I really don’t feel comfortable with it’s flow at all. Damn those lovely sounds just a little out of reach lol

• Apart from a few 'missing features'(Editing of Recorded Automation being a BIG one) I do sorta like GarageBand.

• I love GB. It's great for writing tracks, and the built-in instruments are awesome.

• edited December 2018

After all it’s free (right After you bought the iPad ;))

• How is the battery drain on iPad/iPhone? On my New 10.5 pro its 1% every few minutes with low display brightness...lets say like every 4 min. Is that normal? Beatmaker 3 is Even worse...but its a new device thats was im so worried. Please Tell my you expierences especially iPad Pro users :/

• edited December 2018

@mistkerl said:
    How is the battery drain on iPad/iPhone? On my New 10.5 pro its 1% every few minutes with low display brightness...lets say like every 4 min. Is that normal? Beatmaker 3 is Even worse...but its a new device thats was im so worried. Please Tell my you expierences especially iPad Pro users :/

Battery drain here on iPhone 7 Plus is ok but more important than AUM for example and more or less similar to apeMatrix. When using lot of tracks and AU, using merge feature helps a lot to avoid heat/auto-optimization. A complex song work using many AU will give me approx a two hours battery life. Seems pretty in the norm to me.

• Oh wow I didn't even try to load an au I just thought it wasn't doable ! Rad !
    It may not be perfect but I just really wanna record alchemy there and then drop it elsewhere, love that synth !

• You can export relatively easily out of there now, stems are a bit of a chore but it’s a lot easier to get stuff out of GB than it used to be, for sure

• @reasOne said:
    Oh wow I didn't even try to load an au I just thought it wasn't doable ! Rad !
    It may not be perfect but I just really wanna record alchemy there and then drop it elsewhere, love that synth !

If you didn't know:

Enable merge recordings on your Alchemy track so you can record all your tweaks.

I often run Alchemy synths from my phone through outboard and record via audio trigger into BM3 on my iPad. An analog filter does wonders for iOS synths.

• Garage Band is so unintuitive to me

• @oat_phipps said:
    Garage Band is so unintuitive to me

It was for me, too. I kept coming back, and now I love it. Some parts are still a pain, though. Too many taps to do simple things, like open an AU.

• GarageBand is well documented, and I've always found it straightforward to use. Pretty versatile soundwise for me, and so simple to open up a project on the Mac. Editing capabilities are limited, but I'd still buy it if it wasn't free.

The only reason I don't use it more is due to there being so many other options, but if it was the only music app on iOS, I'd be happy to use it exclusively, especially with the ability to move everything to desktop. Within that workflow, Apple has created a big winner. The hardware is expensive, but the software is a steal.