Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

HARDWARE LOOPER: What say you?

I love me some loopy and quanti.

How about hardware?

I am thinking in the $100-$250 range.

Comments

• It firstly depends on the following, of which you have yet to define at all:
    form factor: rack, table, floor, portability, etc
    input / output requirements: high impedance, low impedance, balanced, unbalanced, etc
    new vs. used: self-explanatory
    external control: MIDI, momentary foot switches, etc.
    power supply requirements: battery, AC adapter, AC mains,
    multi-effects options: times based effects, pitch based effects, straight looping only, etc

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @puppychumful said:
    It firstly depends on the following, of which you have yet to define at all:
    input / output requirements: high impedance, low impedance, balanced, unbalanced, etc
    multi-effects options: times based effects, pitch based effects, straight looping only, etc

A looper.

Open ended question so that was the reason for the price window.

I don't have vast knowledge on hardware loopers, hence the thread.

So, if you can enlighten me.

Ideal.

If not.

Splendid.

• @d4d0ug said:
    I’ve got a ditto x4 which I primarily got because it has a midi sync. Sturdy and reliable. Don’t use it much with synths but good with guitar.

TC, right?

Looks cool.

• I use a Boss 505 looper, it is quite good. It is about twice as much as your budget, but I mention it because even with the top of the line, flagship looper, the jury is out on whether it is vastly superior to Loopy and a midi foot pedal, patiently programmed. Quicker to get going, less moving parts, better visual feedback, but, harder to get iOS into it, harder to synchronize, harder to manage projects, harder to export audio, no Link, not as many tracks, less routing options, less customization possible.

• edited December 2018

The Boss Loopers are important if you want to include Amp simulations, FX and drum tracks.

For clean looping the TC Electronics Dittos are well made with good switches and clean recording electronics. Your should decide based upon how important 2 channels are (to maintain stereo in swirling pads, etc) and the specifics of the button behaviors. One of their low ends requires some "double-clicks" which makes you want to throw it away at times. I like the fact that my Ditto 4X can upload the loop(s) to my PC via USB if I play something worth archiving or re-using.

The Boss units do save/recall a lot of loops and that could be important in your workflow. Pick some features and compare them against your "must haves".

• edited December 2018

Boss RC202 is one of the best hardware loopers out there and I have tried quite a few

• The best straight up looper I know of is the Boomerang III, which does nothing but live looping. You can’t even save/load files but it’s the Rolls Royce of ephemeral looping imho.

I do wonder if you’re headed for an Octatrack.

• edited December 2018

@RUST( i )K said:

@puppychumful said:

A looper.

Ideal.

If not.

Splendid.

What knowledge of loppers do you have now? How would you expect me to enlighten you given you have not responded in kind to my more than helpful post? I can't help you if you are not willing to help yourself, that's what learning is about, as opposed to simply soliciting purchasing opinions.

Therefore you need to fully respond to my more than helpful post as per:

• @puppychumful said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@puppychumful said:

A looper.

Ideal.

If not.

Splendid.

What knowledge of loppers do you have now? How would you expect me to enlighten you given you have not responded in kind to my more than helpful post? I can't help you if you are not willing to help yourself, that's what learning is about, as opposed to simply soliciting purchasing opinions.

Therefore you need to fully respond to my more than helpful post as per:

I don't need a lecture on learning my friend.

Save the snark and the condescending chum.

I learned a long time ago to move along when dealing with people like you.

Thanks for your help on the topic.

BTW:

YES, threads are often about simply soliciting opinions.

EXACTLY the point.

If I wanted chapter and verse on the topic of hardware loopers I can very well do that. But that defeats the purpose of meaningful yet informal back and forth comments on the topic.

You must be a real joy in real life.

• @tomato_juice said:
    The best straight up looper I know of is the Boomerang III, which does nothing but live looping. You can’t even save/load files but it’s the Rolls Royce of ephemeral looping imho.

I do wonder if you’re headed for an Octatrack.

I do as well....

I have the DIGITAKT sitting in the box and before I open it I am contemplating just sending back for the OCTA.

....oh Santa.....

• @Processaurus said:
    I use a Boss 505 looper, it is quite good. It is about twice as much as your budget, but I mention it because even with the top of the line, flagship looper, the jury is out on whether it is vastly superior to Loopy and a midi foot pedal, patiently programmed. Quicker to get going, less moving parts, better visual feedback, but, harder to get iOS into it, harder to synchronize, harder to manage projects, harder to export audio, no Link, not as many tracks, less routing options, less customization possible.

Maybe I need to spend more if that is what you guys think.

Seems that way on all things anymore! LOL

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Boss RC202 is one of the best hardware loopers out there and I have tried quite a few

Another vote for BOSS

• @d4d0ug said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@d4d0ug said:
    I’ve got a ditto x4 which I primarily got because it has a midi sync. Sturdy and reliable. Don’t use it much with synths but good with guitar.

TC, right?

Looks cool.

Yup that’s the one. I got so I could sync guitar loops with my volcas. Different functions can be triggered with midi cc values. I guess it depends what you want to use it for, but it’s a good bit of kit. For the price I couldn’t find any others that could midi sync at the time (a couple of years ago). These days I’m less into looping, but I like to dig it out for a play now and again. There’s vids out there which demo what it can do.

I saw a couple diff models I assume you mean the 4 click floor one.

TC is a great company.

• The Digitech Jamman pedal is built like a tank, performs as advertised and you can save your loops to memory cards. I learned on it and still add loops/phrases when the moment grabs me.

• Those Digitechs look great! So do the BOSS and TC pedals...so many choices these days...
    These pedal-based loopers seem to be pretty inexpensive and easy to use.

I sold the Octatrack twice since I'd forget all of the button combos after a few days. It was frustrating learning 70% of it, then forgetting half of that after not using it for a week.

Anyone use the Electro-Harmonix looper pedals?
    https://www.ehx.com/browse/delay-loopers

• @Ben said:
    The Digitech Jamman pedal is built like a tank, performs as advertised and you can save your loops to memory cards. I learned on it and still add loops/phrases when the moment grabs me.

Not heard of this...

Great more options......

• The octatrack needs a usb midi hub and a footswitch, which adds to the price too.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Ben said:
    The Digitech Jamman pedal is built like a tank, performs as advertised and you can save your loops to memory cards. I learned on it and still add loops/phrases when the moment grabs me.

Not heard of this...

Great more options......

The Boss RC300 has always intrigued me. Essentially 3 loopers in one pedal. It’s more like a small multi track. Priciest of the group though. I had the Boss single looper initially (don’t remember model) and went to the Digitech for the ability to store on memory cards.
    Wasn’t impressed with the EH. Tried it and sent it back.

• Ditto for the Ditto.

The Headrush is also an old favorite, but is probably too limited for your purposes.

• A lot of people use loopers to build up a normal song, track by track - this approach has been called the "multitrack looping" approach. I agree that the Headrush might be too limited for that by today's standards, unless your song is super simple.

I use looping more to create ambient textures and experimental stuff - not to than to build up a pop song. To that end my Octatrack has served well. Note that is only has 80 MB RAM and that is where all the live looped audio is stored - that's not a lot of RAM for live looping.

I got the Headrush on sale for $80. I used it as a backup looper when I messed up my Octatrack by storing too many projects on its CF card.

• I am probably going to buy an Electro Harmonix 360 or 720 today because of high quality sound and the ability to record and store 11 loops. Plus the price is $90 or $140 which seems a bargain.

It’s annoying because I have a POD HD 500X and a TC Helicon Voicelive, each of which have extensive looping capabilities but a measly 48 or 60 second record time. How expensive is RAM vs. having a usable loop length?

• Ya know I got loopy hd... and I lost all desire to look into hardware loopers. That’s just my own opinion of course.

I spent my $100 extra on a midi pedalboard. Done.

• @Hmtx said:
    Ya know I got loopy hd... and I lost all desire to look into hardware loopers. That’s just my own opinion of course.

What pedalboard do you have?

• @Hmtx said:
    Ya know I got loopy hd... and I lost all desire to look into hardware loopers. That’s just my own opinion of course.

Do you have a way to visually see what is going on, on your midi pedal, or do you have Loopy open on the iPad screen, where you can see what is going on? Or just fly blind?

The one thing that gets me down about midi is visual feedback that what you are doing is working, it can feel like a return to the dark ages of guitar pedals, before they put lights in them, so you could tell if they were switched on or not.

• edited December 2018

@Ben I use this little guy: https://line6.com/foot-controllers/fbv-shortboard-mkii/ The line 6 FBV mkii. It is class compliant USB, so easy to use.

@Processaurus Yep, the best way to run it with Loopy HD is to have Loopy up on the iPad screen so things don’t get confusing

• Hardware: rc505, ehx 68000 or Pioneer djs1000 (with pedalboard/midi mixer)
    Software: Ableton live or Traktor (remix decks with pedalboard and F1/D2)
    Apps: Loopy, GTL or Stagelight.