Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New App - PolyPhase - Beta is open - not mine but seems very cool -

Comments

• @aplourde said:

@mekohler said:
    @Carnbot It's a MIDIBus documented issue. I am looking into migrating the MIDI to AudioKit and not using MIDIBus. I'm not sure if AK has the same issue when switching apps.

This may just be anecdotal, but I'm convinced that I get better performance (fewer hiccups) when switching to an app directly though the Audiobus switcher than by going through the iOS app switcher.

Intuitively it makes sense since the Apple method requires lots of animation and additional views.

I find that the new, weird, ios bottom swipe in an arc thing to go back and forth between apps to be pretty good. Once you figure out the gesture...

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@aplourde said:

@mekohler said:
    @Carnbot It's a MIDIBus documented issue. I am looking into migrating the MIDI to AudioKit and not using MIDIBus. I'm not sure if AK has the same issue when switching apps.

This may just be anecdotal, but I'm convinced that I get better performance (fewer hiccups) when switching to an app directly though the Audiobus switcher than by going through the iOS app switcher.

Intuitively it makes sense since the Apple method requires lots of animation and additional views.

I find that the new, weird, ios bottom swipe in an arc thing to go back and forth between apps to be pretty good. Once you figure out the gesture...

Yeah, it does work pretty well for navigation, but I believe I'm getting more MIDI glitches during the transition than with iOS 10; probably because the transition animation is more elaborate than before. I'll try out with "Reduce motion" turned on and see if that helps.

Also, it makes me nervous to swipe up unless the UI has a clear space as I've accidentally triggered things. I'm kinda hoping devs will start to leave a clear spot in their UIs on the bottom edge to allow a "safe swipe zone"!

• @mekohler

Man, this fast becoming my fav app. It’s forced, yes FORCED, me to keep my Analog Keys just for this app.

Few question after update:
    1) I assume midi learn is not there yet, ‘cause I can’t find it if it is.
    2) what are the icons on the left. Don’t recall those before. The chain,hand,globe...?

I’m also curious how YOU use this... Do you make the master track a bass track, melody track?

I end up in totally diff places depending on if I have master be an 8th arp top line and then derive bass and melody from it, vs a short, slow, bass track feeding faster slave tracks.

That’s what makes this so brilliant I think... It’s like chaos theory... small variations in complex systems over time yield fantasticly wild results that can often still be tied to the original idea... This thing is the closest to a musical fractal generator I’ve used. So many other generative systems are too fucking complicated to be creative.

This tool,s performance options are fantasticly musical. Not just scales and chords, but the mutation buttons.. the ability to break down or end a piece by turning off the master tracks generation, thusnlooping slave tracks, then applying prune over and over until there’s just a few notes kicks ass!

@mekohler said:
    I'll be working on the following items next:

• Audio and UI rendering optimizations (need to fix that hiccup)
    • CC control functionality and UI
    • Tweaking any minor layout issues for larger (11 & 12 inch) iPads
    • Adding sus / dom chords and moving FC toggle somewhere else
    • Adding exotic scales

I’d suggest maybe reducing the size vertically of the note tracks to give more ui real estate to the chord and bottom button area...

Maybe just do this as a midi only app? Then the audio issues take care of themselves! 🤪

• edited December 2018

I'm with MonkeyDrummer, this app is the bomb .
    I have done lots of recording with this live into Reaper (driving Kontakt sample libraries etc), and for the first time I have ever seen midi notes on screen that actually evolve.
    Most other generative apps, when the midi data is recorded, it is really easy to see the same patterns that are generated.
    This baby evolves, and all the tracks evolve separately, together - forever.

:| My new band mate

• Glad I found the code for the Beta test, amongst the many apps bought and now just dusting my ipad this is definitely in my TO STAY list, so is a buy from me when will be out. No crash so far to be a Beta, on my Ipad Pro 2016

• @MonkeyDrummer
    Few question after update:
    1) I assume midi learn is not there yet, ‘cause I can’t find it if it is.
    2) what are the icons on the left. Don’t recall those before. The chain,hand,globe...?
    I’d suggest maybe reducing the size vertically of the note tracks to give more ui real estate to the chord and bottom button area...
    I’m also curious how YOU use this... Do you make the master track a bass track, melody track?

• CC Control is not there yet, but it's being implemented
    • Icons on the left are explained in the Help menu under "Other Controls". They let you control all Track properties at once (globe), or move Track properties by discrete values (hand). If you have both enabled, for example, you can double the length or rate of all Tracks at once...among other things.
    • If I make the bottom bigger, then the real-estate for the Track properties becomes smaller :( . I will be making pixel-sized adjustments before release to make things as big as possible.
    • I don't do any planning when using it. I either let it run until I like something I hear, or randomize everything until I'm pleased. I made this so I could get easily inspired by an idea and not have to think! In painting, for example, you can splatter or smudge paint around until you see a form that suggests something or attracts your eye...you then build on top of that. With music it's harder as randomness usually ends up sounding like shit / noise...the human ear likes a delicate balance of structure and surprise. I built this to get around that, if that makes any sense.

Glad you guys are liking it! I finished adding more scales and chords, and I'm laying the foundation for CC controls today. I will probably submit a beta update that includes these new scales, chords and minor tweaks over the weekend.

• @mekohler : the app is very cool. I would like to see the ability in track setup to choose the MIDi device to target in addition the target channel. This would simplify setup when using different devices for different tracks.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @mekohler : the app is very cool. I would like to see the ability in track setup to choose the MIDi device to target in addition the target channel. This would simplify setup when using different devices for different tracks.

Yep, that will be in one of the first updates after release.

• @mekohler said:

• Icons on the left are explained in the Help menu under "Other Controls". They let you control all Track properties at once (globe), or move Track properties by discrete values (hand). If you have both enabled, for example, you can double the length or rate of all Tracks at once...among other things.

Yea, I read that in the instructions, but it's not real obvious how they work. I think I figured them out except for the chain icon.

My suggestion is to change the Hand icon to something else as a hand seems odd. As it's really a way to get larger steps, maybe a staircase icon?

Another question: The notes that show on the left of each track, are those supposed to be the "filtered" notes, or are they the "raw" notes? They go by so fast I've not been able to nail down exactly what's happening. Hopefully they are the filtered (scale+chord) notes.

Another idea if you do build in the "intelligent chord picker/filter":

1) Make it so there's an option/switch so that you can send in a single note via midi, and it will use that as the root for the chord.
    2) It then applies the scale filter to the incoming note, and picks or rotates through good/legal chords/voicings/inversions.

To see a REALLY good example of how this can work, check out ToneSpace VST plugin: http://www.mucoder.net/en/tonespace/

It's pretty much magical. :) Best auto-magic chord voicing plugin out there. Especially once you map midi controls to things like voicings, spreads, etc.

Granted, if you set it up so that all the chord buttons are midi mappable, that will be a pretty good stop gap.

Keep rockin' this apps dev. get it out by end of year and it's a Best of 2018 for me! :)

• The hand isn't just for length though. Using it with each property changes it's behavior, although length and rate are
      indeed double / halve

• The notes flashing by are what you hear, after all note filtering

• The same thing applies with the blue popup notes that show up when manually placing a step
    • There will be MIDI control of all note-filtering properties, and I plan on expanding the "smartness" of it little by little
  • @mekohler said:
    the human ear likes a delicate balance of structure and surprise. I built this to get around that

well said, and well done app. Thank you.

• @mekohler
    Few more ideas:
    1) allow the “repeat midi notes” option per track... slow pad tracks don’t need it, but fast lead or bass lines do. I think this is pretty important.
    2) have a high note and low note range for the master track. Then if using the master track as a bassline, it can be restricted to one octave, then other tracks can use their parameters to adjust pitch octave for lead, drone, etc.

Personally, I’d love to see this ditch the audio engine totally so I can have more cpu for AU/IAA synths in AUM...

Really needs link too... but you know that. 🤪

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    @mekohler
    Few more ideas:
    1) allow the “repeat midi notes” option per track... slow pad tracks don’t need it, but fast lead or bass lines do. I think this is pretty important.
    2) have a high note and low note range for the master track. Then if using the master track as a bassline, it can be restricted to one octave, then other tracks can use their parameters to adjust pitch octave for lead, drone, etc.

Personally, I’d love to see this ditch the audio engine totally so I can have more cpu for AU/IAA synths in AUM...

Really needs link too... but you know that. 🤪

• Having the Repeat MIDI option be per-Track is a good idea, I'll add it to the list
    • I thought about having the range of each Track be an option. I will eventually add a side toggle that will display advanced Track options for each Track, although I'm not sure what I will have there
    • I've started reading the Link documentation. It's an essential feature, I just haven't had the time and the docs are a little confusing :#

The update this week will probably be the last Beta and will include minor UI adjustments, new chords, new scales, and optimizations.

• Finished individual outputs:

• Sexy!

@mekohler said:
    Finished individual outputs:

• I don't see IDAM - but I imagine it is there (as it is on beta) - probably not connected?

• edited December 2018

@Mayo said:
    I don't see IDAM - but I imagine it is there (as it is on beta) - probably not connected?

What is IDAM? Inter device audio and midi? Nothing has changed for the port scanning...whatever is broadcast as an interface will show up. I have never had "IDAM", but "Network" is what refers to the WIFI MIDI interface, at least on my end. Either way, there is no underlying change to what ports will be available...you can just specify on a per-Track basis.

• IDAM only shows up if you enable your iOS device to use that using macOS's AUDIO MIDI SETUP. I just never turned mine on... I always use Network or route directly to an app. Yours will still show IDAM as an option.

• 1.8 (116) latest beta? look forward to the LINK option

• @alancodger said:
    1.8 (116) latest beta? look forward to the LINK option

Yep, I will submit the new one at some point this week.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    have a high note and low note range for the master track. Then if using the master track as a bassline, it can be restricted to one octave, then other tracks can use their parameters to adjust pitch octave for lead, drone, etc.

For now, I added a side toggle that will Limit the Master Track to the lowest 14 notes. This let's you use it as a bassline generator, but also limits the range of the sent notes to the Slave Tracks. The Slave Tracks can then be separated by using their transpose. It works nicely, good idea :open_mouth:

• edited December 2018

@mekohler said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    have a high note and low note range for the master track. Then if using the master track as a bassline, it can be restricted to one octave, then other tracks can use their parameters to adjust pitch octave for lead, drone, etc.

For now, I added a side toggle that will Limit the Master Track to the lowest 14 notes

That would be perfect. Right now it kind of moves around (the note range) a lot of times.

Another thought I had last night that I’m sure would be a future thing would be to have a way to do the same thing you’re doing for notes but for rhythms, durations, and velocity. What you’ve essentially done is create a stepped LFO module, so using the same idea for other parameters would be cool.

The unique approach you came up with that sets this apart from all the other generators on iOS is having essentially a type of genetic algorithm and the big one from a musical standpoint is the chord mask. I’ve checked out Riffer for example and it’s just too random if you have more than one instance running. Yours is nice and unified/related.

Finally, last night I was getting a lot of stuck notes on my AK. I doubt it’s your code as the AR kind of sucks with stuck notes, but maybe if the hood is up poke in the note on off code (ie while working on the note ties).

• You may get stuck notes on Elektron machines when Tracks share the same Channel...this is because they handle note-ons in a weird way. If you send 2 note on's in a row like: C1_NOTE_ON, C1_NOTE_ON, C1_NOTE_OFF, Elektron machines can't stop the 2nd C1 until you double-stop on the hardware...doesn't happen to any other hardware / software synths I own. This scenario is more likely when you have multiple sequencers (like PolyPhase) feeding it notes. I have a fix in mind for this, but it hasn't been implemented yet.

I submitted the next version, just waiting on Apple's approval.

• @mekohler said:
    You may get stuck notes on Elektron machines when Tracks share the same Channel...this is because they handle note-ons in a weird way. If you send 2 note on's in a row like: C1_NOTE_ON, C1_NOTE_ON, C1_NOTE_OFF, Elektron machines can't stop the 2nd C1 until you double-stop on the hardware...doesn't happen to any other hardware / software synths I own. This scenario is more likely when you have multiple sequencers (like PolyPhase) feeding it notes. I have a fix in mind for this, but it hasn't been implemented yet.

So the following version is not beta anymore?

• Seriously loving this sequencer! Driving it with link to midi works great 👍 @mekohler this plus collider make a solid pair. Thanks for all your hard work.

• Did the beta with the low note constraint drop yet? I'm staring at the current beta and thinking that I'm surely missing something obvious.

Agree with comment above that the chord mask is the the secret sauce with this app. Really nice work here! You might consider giving Doug at sound test room a copy before release so that he can do an intro video to extol the virtues.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Did the beta with the low note constraint drop yet? I'm staring at the current beta and thinking that I'm surely missing something obvious.

Agree with comment above that the chord mask is the the secret sauce with this app. Really nice work here! You might consider giving Doug at sound test room a copy before release so that he can do an intro video to extol the virtues.

Apple didn't approve my submission in time...it will come after the 27th ;(

@MonkeyDrummer I also finished the MIDI rework yesterday. This will look at the interfaces / channels the Tracks are using and ensure duplicate notes are not sent at each tick. This has stopped the hanging notes on Elektron devices. I was using it with my Digitone last night, finally.

I will post here when they approve the Beta. It includes individual interfaces per Track, more scales, more chords, Master Track range limiter, a toggle to hide Track Properties, improved MIDI, improved note generation algorithms, and improved randomization functions.

• @mekohler said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Did the beta with the low note constraint drop yet? I'm staring at the current beta and thinking that I'm surely missing something obvious.

Apple didn't approve my submission in time...it will come after the 27th ;(

Ah, OK. Thanks for letting us know!

• @mekohler said:
    You may get stuck notes on Elektron machines when Tracks share the same Channel...this is because they handle note-ons in a weird way. If you send 2 note on's in a row like: C1_NOTE_ON, C1_NOTE_ON, C1_NOTE_OFF, Elektron machines can't stop the 2nd C1 until you double-stop on the hardware...doesn't happen to any other hardware / software synths I own. This scenario is more likely when you have multiple sequencers (like PolyPhase) feeding it notes. I have a fix in mind for this, but it hasn't been implemented yet.

Yea, I think I mentioned a lot earlier that I'd always run into the AK getting stuck. I had hoped your secret majik to tame those unruly vikings inside Elektron boxes would fix it. :)

• Driving my hardware synths this morning. Absolutely loving this app 😜