Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New App from Future Moments gives Super-Recording

We (Future Moments - MicSwap, AudioMaster, AudioFix) just released a new app that would be great for capturing samples in the real world, among other uses. Our new app 'Hear Boost' super-charges your microphone so you can record up to 200x what your mic normally delivers. It's pretty fun to have super hearing. :-)

https://itunes.apple.com/developer/future-moments/id895157892

Comments

• Cool.
    And cheap, too.
    Wait, kinda scary.
    :)

• @CracklePot said:
    Cool.
    And cheap, too.
    Wait, kinda scary.

Scary if when wearing headphones - someone creeps up on you while you're on 200x volume boost - and screams CAN YOU HEAR ME! into your mic.

• Dang, when you try this app, and you crank the boost, turn down your headphones.
    I got crazy feedback using headphones, with the iPad volume up past halfway.

But yeah, my headphones kinda suck. :D

• edited December 2018

@CracklePot said:
    Dang, when you try this app, and you crank the boost, turn down your headphones.

I’m using some Sennheiser HD580s and it’s full of feedback with those too. Helps if you move the device further away, but it doesn’t really sound any more sensitive than recording using AudioShare with the advanced measurement setting at 100% mic gain.

• @skiphunt Are those Sennheiser HD580's open ear on the back, meaning the speaker might be open to feedback more than closed ear headphones. I use Grado's for mixing and they're also open eared on the back and they feedback when near a microphone more than my closed ear headphones. They're good for mixing, but not recording for that reason.

• Snake oil alert! What you can hear from a microphone doesn't really depend on how much you boost it, but on its dynamic range (and that of the components like the pre-amp, etc.). Now if you connected a high-quality microphone to a high-quality pre-amp which is connected via a high-quality audio interface to your iPhone, then you might be able to get "super- recording"... but if not, I highly doubt it.

In any case, even if you have all the necessary hardware, it would still be technically better to use a multi band compressor than to just boost the input.

• @skiphunt said:

@CracklePot said:
    Dang, when you try this app, and you crank the boost, turn down your headphones.

I’m using some Sennheiser HD580s and it’s full of feedback with those too. Helps if you move the device further away, but it doesn’t really sound any more sensitive than recording using AudioShare with the advanced measurement setting at 100% mic gain.

I think it is a little more sensitive, but not that much. Definitely noisier. No IAA, AB, or AU integration, which is kind of a bummer. It would be nice to be able to use this with Brusfri or a limiter, or any other FX you might want to throw on the signal while recording. AudioShare has it beat in that way, for sure.

• edited December 2018

You can amplify a mic to whatever level (leaving the feedback problem out of the equation for the moment), but you can't squeeze any more details beyond the mic's signal-to-noise ratio.
    That's a fixed technical item and about 60dB for what is built into current IOS devices.
    (quite a remarkable figure for such a tiny thing, btw)

But since current models have a mic array you may improve the performance by clever programming, so the signal stands out more clear.
    That's probably what this app is about.

• I’m really hoping this will take the place of my hearing aids..
    Oops I’m on the wrong forum!

• @CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:

@CracklePot said:

I think it is a little more sensitive, but not that much. Definitely noisier. No IAA, AB, or AU integration, which is kind of a bummer. It would be nice to be able to use this with Brusfri or a limiter, or any other FX you might want to throw on the signal while recording. AudioShare has it beat in that way, for sure.

I couldn't tell it was any more sensitive. I set an egg timer in the kitchen and with it almost all the way up I could hear the ticks and a lot of noise. With AudioShare set for 100% mic gain and the level all the way up... I could also hear the egg timer ticking, but much less extra noise.

@garygary yes, open back. good point. will try others later. Even so... it's good for recording some feedback to mess with. ;)

• edited December 2018

@SevenSystems said:
    Snake oil alert! What you can hear from a microphone doesn't really depend on how much you boost it, but on its dynamic range (and that of the components like the pre-amp, etc.). Now if you connected a high-quality microphone to a high-quality pre-amp which is connected via a high-quality audio interface to your iPhone, then you might be able to get "super- recording"... but if not, I highly doubt it.

In any case, even if you have all the necessary hardware, it would still be technically better to use a multi band compressor than to just boost the input.

This.
    If you want a boost, buy a lifter or similar.

• @skiphunt said:

@CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:

@CracklePot said:

I couldn't tell it was any more sensitive. I set an egg timer in the kitchen and with it almost all the way up I could hear the ticks and a lot of noise. With AudioShare set for 100% mic gain and the level all the way up... I could also hear the egg timer ticking, but much less extra noise.

@garygary yes, open back. good point. will try others later. Even so... it's good for recording some feedback to mess with. ;)

Dude that is crazy! I think I could hear your egg timer as well!
    :D

• edited December 2018

@Turntablist said:

@SevenSystems said:
    Snake oil alert! What you can hear from a microphone doesn't really depend on how much you boost it, but on its dynamic range (and that of the components like the pre-amp, etc.). Now if you connected a high-quality microphone to a high-quality pre-amp which is connected via a high-quality audio interface to your iPhone, then you might be able to get "super- recording"... but if not, I highly doubt it.

This.

;) It's the same as with the "Night Vision" apps. You don't increase the dynamic range (read: decrease the noise) of the image sensor through clever programming.

If Apple rejects NanoStudio 2 because it doesn't play any sound in the background :D then I do wonder why apps like these get approved.

EDIT: I would have "approved" the app if it did at least something remotely innovative, like using a spectral noise gate or as mentioned a multiband compressor with sensible controls etc., but with only a basic EQ on/off toggle, it's really kind of meh.

• @SevenSystems said:

@Turntablist said:

@SevenSystems said:

This.

;) It's the same as with the "Night Vision" apps. You don't increase the dynamic range (read: decrease the noise) of the image sensor through clever programming.

If Apple rejects NanoStudio 2 because it doesn't play any sound in the background :D then I do wonder why apps like these get approved.

EDIT: I would have "approved" the app if it did at least something remotely innovative, like using a spectral noise gate or as mentioned a multiband compressor with sensible controls etc., but with only a basic EQ on/off toggle, it's really kind of meh.

I suspect apps like this, and fart sounds are the perfect Apple eco system apps, the wider IOS audience are, after all is said and done, game playing, social networking, brain dead iZombies.

• Does it go to 11 ?

• Haha, well that guy won't be back

• @Mayo It goes to 12! With great power comes great responsibility. :--)

• @skiphunt I just used it and heard your egg timer!!

• Kidding aside from the "Super Hearing" etc. claims ;) I haven't tried this yet, but you do get an exaggerated and noisy recording that perhaps could be used creatively. I'm going to play around with it some I think. The amp'd quality of this does sound different than simply cranking up the levels and gain from my other recording apps.

• @Mayo said:
    Does it go to 11 ?

Dude, this one goes to 200.

• @SevenSystems said:

Yup. Whatever you do to the signal, you are stuck between the noise floor and distortion. The only thing you can really do to change what an iPhone records (without extra hardware) is to change the mix of the four onboard microphones. They are set up to provide the most intelligible sound for voice calls, not always ideal for recording samples, and this involves quite a bit of processing - and processing is distortion of it's own kind.

• Interesting idea to add IAA, AB, and AU integration. @CracklePot, would you want it to be used as an effect to boost an incoming track?

• @garygary said:
    Interesting idea to add IAA, AB, and AU integration. @CracklePot, would you want it to be used as an effect to boost an incoming track?

My thought was to add some FX and processing to the live recording, but using the boost in this app could be cool too.

• Thanks for the input @CracklePot. We'll probably add that like we have in MicSwap and AudioMaster. Thumbs up!

• Mic Swap Pro is amazing and they are adding new features in future.

Great stand alone app.

THEN THE BEST AUDIO APP FOR ME IS TWISTED WAVE.

Both on iOS and for my Mac.

Couldn't live without Twisted Wave.

You can literally add AU Fx to sounds on command!

• Thanks for the compliment @""RUST( i )K" !
    MicSwap Pro will keep being updated and added to. If you have any feature requests let me know!