Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NEXT NEW HARDWARE VERSIONS: OctaTrack, OP1, Circuit, Volca?

Comments

• I agree, by sweet spot though I meant overall not just sonically , anyways if they add more outputs on the mk2 it definitely won't be a deal breaker for me :)

• Reminds me I must get my MPC 1000 tact switches fixed! Been neglected since I got the OT and then iOS. Were you
    using JJOS? I want to experiment using the MPC to trigger OT tracks set to plays free mode + using the individual outs of the MPC for kick snare etc. Then again, I want to keep live rig as small as possible!

• I think the sample playback engine is the same (sounds same if you turn off time stretch in OT), what makes it better sounding is the new fx section.
    I doubt we'll see OT3 ever, and the DT described earlier would cost more than OT.
    What makes DT good is the simplicity but IMO without OB it's overpriced for what it does.
    OT is still unmatched after nearly 10 years.

• edited December 2018

I think Volca ____ Mods. A modular volca would be great. Based on filters from MS20. They've proven they can slim these systems down. Something that could be standalone (ala Brutes) and something that can cv out to other small format modular systems. It would be a huge win.

Also Volca ______ FX. An effect box that covers the stuff that most sythesists want. More outputs and 1/4" so they can be used outside the Volca environment too. This would be cool as long as they weren't as noisy as some of the already built in fx. Though that may not be an issue for those who aren't recording them.

For me, these are the most FUN of all my hardware synths. I can play them in my favorite chair!

• @DYMS said:
    Sold Digitakt and a bunch of extra stuff that I wasn’t using to fund an Akai MPC Live. Seemed to fall nicely between the Digitakt (appreciated it, but we never got along) and the Oktatrack Mkii (very expensive here in Japan and more of a sample mangler from research).

I am excited to get it this weekend and hook it up to my blofeld and iPad. Hoping it is a good fit, and excited to autosample some of my ipad synths like KQ Dixie, Kauldron, Synthscaper, etc... :)

Pls keep me updated on your feelings of this experience....

• @kobamoto said:

@ElectroHead said:

@kobamoto said:

@lairdhenn said:
    If Elektron put out a poly Digitakt I’d be pretty happy.

(koolaids voice) Oh Yeahhhh

(ok now my regular voice) ... there will definitely be another digitakt before another octa, unless elektron are just crazy people who like to make things more difficult than they have to be for fun. Digitakt - stereo sampling, more sample storage, more samples per project, poly, batt for true mobility, more extensive sample editing features, maybe make it 16 tracks that can all be anything you want them to be instead of half audio and half midi...... would be one sweet machine

Stereo sampling - Octatrack
    More storage - Octatrack with 64 gb flash
    Polyphony - use a track per voice and bounce down
    Sod a battery - more outputs!

"elektron are just crazy people who like to make things more difficult than they have to be for fun"

Scenes on the Octatrack are among the most radical / fun features on any bit of hardware or soft I've tried. How would you make the implementation of scenes "easier"?

There's no gain without pain.

nah octa doesn't feel like the digitakt that's the core issue it's not just the feature set and the digitakt has it's own workflow, and character of sound that is pleasing... plus there will be overbridge, I'd rather have battery power than physical outs for how I'm using it.

often overlooked
    computers don't feel like hardware
    maschine doesn't feel like the mpc
    bm3 doesn't feel like the impc
    logic doesn't feel like ableton
    octatrack doesn't feel like a digitakt

I love feelings......

• What ever happened to this?

• either is a great addition to the ipad. both can be loaded with premade loops and be a self contained groove box, both can trigger midi in apps in aum or whatever. however the octatrack has an aux send (configuring the 3-4 outputs), which i have a reverb pedal on...which leaves me 2 extra fx per track. usually the filter (which sounds pretty freaking nice to me) and a delay (definitely useable, if generic), or the lo-fi (which i really like). sometimes i use another fx but normally not. i tend to either track in instruments with their fx or import processed stems, so my fx uses are usually just transitional or performance-wise. and scenes, as mentioned....so great. can be used to bring in/out tracks, radically change anything or everything. in 20-30 minutes i can add 8-10 scenes that make a track really flow and bring out so much magic from the stems. for my glitchy style this is great. to do what i do on a regular daw would mean tons of surgical automation, listening back, adjusting, etc. at the end it might even be better that way, but would take way more time and be more methodical, taking out the performance aspect and winging it and improvising. it would definitely be different. i stumble into a ton of happy accidents i would have never done otherwise. you might be able to configure something like this with ableton and push (i mean i'm sure it is more than possible).
    the downside with the octatrack of course is that you then only have a stereo file, no multitrack out,...i'm ok with this, for the types of projects i employ the octatrack for, but your mileage may vary.

• @ElectroHead said:

Reminds me I must get my MPC 1000 tact switches fixed! Been neglected since I got the OT and then iOS. Were you
    using JJOS? I want to experiment using the MPC to trigger OT tracks set to plays free mode + using the individual outs of the MPC for kick snare etc. Then again, I want to keep live rig as small as possible!

ran jj free more than anything else, it was the leanest and was the os with the least issues for program transfer issues with iOS etc

• @recccp said:
    and the DT described earlier would cost more than OT.
    What makes DT good is the simplicity but IMO without OB it's overpriced for what it does.

and yet there still seem to be a lot of people who splurge for two digitakts rather than get one octatrakt for a lot less

• @kobamoto said:

@recccp said:
    and the DT described earlier would cost more than OT.

and yet there still seem to be a lot of people who splurge for two digitakts rather than get one octatrakt for a lot less

Makes sense if your primary use is one-shot samples, and need more than 8 audio and/or midi tracks. Less options -> Faster workflow
    While OT can be set up for nearly same quick one shot sampling, its real advantage over other similar boxes is loop mangling. But it can be so many different things even at once that it can cause headache. I know I struggled a lot and it wasn't the learning curve - IMO it's very logically built up, deep but everything makes sense once you get the basics - it was struggle to find its right place in my setup. For OCD guy like me, if something isn't running at its full potential than I go crazy over it. :smiley:
    I mean people still coming up with new ideas after nearly 10 years of use.

Now I'm using it for max two tasks at a time.
    Was thinking about selling it couple of times because many things I prefer to do on iPad these days. But I think it'll stay with me until it dies.
    Probably going to pick up a second hand DT as well once OB is out.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@lairdhenn said:

Hence my true question
    Get Digitakt or Octatrak

Fearing new Octa in next year

Thinking all that DTak and Dtone revenue should expedite Development.

Not sure though ....

Had an OP1; enjoyed it, sold it. Had a Volca Sample; enjoyed it, sold it. Had a Digitakt; enjoyed it, sold it. Bought a Mk1 Octatrack and genuinely think I won't be able to part with it, it's that good.

My advice is buy one now and enjoy it for what it can currently do; it's already endless.

• edited December 2018

For me the OT is the one that got away. i kick myself for selling it every day. That fader and scenes can transform 8 bar loops into full songs. Stuff like one side of the fader being the bare loop and the other side filtered,reverbed,chopped onto another track and the chops selected by an LFO that’s modulated by Nother LFO etc etc. it’s crazy.

• @BroCoast said:
    Whatever the final Volca will be, it better have some hack points like the rest of them.

Is Korg planning on not continuing the Volca series after this one? Source on that?

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    For me the OT is the one that got away. i kick myself for selling it every day. That fader and scenes can transform 8 bar loops into full songs. Stuff like one side of the fader being the bare loop and the other side filtered,reverbed,chopped onto another track and the chops selected by an LFO that’s modulated by Nother LFO etc etc. it’s crazy.

the way you and rcppp talk about it makes it sound delicious but my meager experiences with it were far from the mountain top..... I do however like the idea of the challenge

• Yeah I had to spend 3 months of daily practice before starting to have fun with it. It’s a very difficult machine

• Yeah, it's far from instant gratification. I went through manual twice before I bought mine. It's detailed but very dry. There is one very useful guide I think Merlins Guide which goes through some practical use, just to give you few ideas, that helped me a lot. I think if someone knows what he needs OT to do in his setup it's not too difficult to learn it quickly, but there is depth behind every function it has and it begs for experimentation, so it's really hard not to get lost at the beginning :)

• edited December 2018

@recccp said:
    I think if someone knows what he needs OT to do in his setup it's not too difficult to learn it quickly, but there is depth behind every function it has and it begs for experimentation, so it's really hard not to get lost at the beginning :)

Exactly. It can do so many different things, each in different ways... you get overwhelmed.

• @aquasloth said:

@BroCoast said:
    Whatever the final Volca will be, it better have some hack points like the rest of them.

Is Korg planning on not continuing the Volca series after this one? Source on that?

I'm not sure. At whatever trade show Korg were last at they had the full Volca suite on display with a space for one more and hinted at a "final" Volca coming to complete the set.

I would be happy if they made more but 8 in total seems fairly complete.

Lately I've been digging into the Kick, I never gave it much thought but I got it as a gift and it's amazing!

• @noodldoodl said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@lairdhenn said:

Hence my true question
    Get Digitakt or Octatrak

Fearing new Octa in next year

Thinking all that DTak and Dtone revenue should expedite Development.

Not sure though ....

Had an OP1; enjoyed it, sold it. Had a Volca Sample; enjoyed it, sold it. Had a Digitakt; enjoyed it, sold it. Bought a Mk1 Octatrack and genuinely think I won't be able to part with it, it's that good.

My advice is buy one now and enjoy it for what it can currently do; it's already endless.

Great

Mind swirls....

Thanks serious though

• @RUST( i )K
    My MPC Live arrived this evening after a delay at the delivery service.
    Only played with it an hour, and I am pretty excited.

Within 15 minutes I was able to auto sample any app on my iPad that has Bluetooth Midi.

Simple set-up (video coming if I can find the time)

• Plug Bluetooth midi unit into MPC Live (I use the Quicco sound M1)
    • Connect Quicco to iPad (I use Midimittr)
    • Open favourite synth App
    • Set midi channel in App
    • On MPC Live create a midi track (sequence? Not familiar with terms yet)
    • On MPC go to recorder and auto sample
    • Repeat

I had success in my initial tests with Zeeon, Qr Dixie, Groovebox, Kauldron, and SynthScaper.

I think it might be a keeper.

Already much happier with it than I was with the Digitakt.
    Thinking I might sell my circuit and Sp404sx as they feel redundant... but will wait a bit until I spend a bit more time with it and let my choice-supportive bias wear off :blush:

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Octa: ____________.
    OP1 replacement _____________.
    Circuit______________-
    Volca ____________.

I'd say Circuit is most likely.

Tats, the genius behind Korg's analog renaissance left the company a couple of years ago. He's working on some granular synth or something. So, in short, more Volcas are unlikely.

Octatrack Mk3 very unlikely. Elektron couldn't update the Mk2 to work w/ Overbridge. I think they'd have to redesign the whole thing from ground up.

OP2 also very unlikely. TE is dealing with a bit of a PR mess about whether OP1 is discontinued. But they seem really committed to resuming OP1 production even if they have to replace a part or two.

• Just did some research and found a recent episode of the Korg podcast (Microkast?) and lo and behold, there was talk of another Volca on the way! Apparently it is going to be analog, and they are very, very excited about it, figuring that many people will be eager to get it. I'd love a divide-down string machine Volca, personally: Volca String? It'd be cheaper than the Streichfett, that's for sure! Individual knobs or sliders for different string registers (Bass/Cello/Viola/Violin), switchable phaser and/or ensemble effect? What about individual chord memory setting per sequencer step?

• @aquasloth said:
    Just did some research and found a recent episode of the Korg podcast (Microkast?) and lo and behold, there was talk of another Volca on the way! Apparently it is going to be analog, and they are very, very excited about it, figuring that many people will be eager to get it. I'd love a divide-down string machine Volca, personally: Volca String? It'd be cheaper than the Streichfett, that's for sure! Individual knobs or sliders for different string registers (Bass/Cello/Viola/Violin), switchable phaser and/or ensemble effect? What about individual chord memory setting per sequencer step?

I just got my first Volca in mail......too small for my swollen hands and fingers......

• @RUST( i )K said:

@aquasloth said:
    Just did some research and found a recent episode of the Korg podcast (Microkast?) and lo and behold, there was talk of another Volca on the way! Apparently it is going to be analog, and they are very, very excited about it, figuring that many people will be eager to get it. I'd love a divide-down string machine Volca, personally: Volca String? It'd be cheaper than the Streichfett, that's for sure! Individual knobs or sliders for different string registers (Bass/Cello/Viola/Violin), switchable phaser and/or ensemble effect? What about individual chord memory setting per sequencer step?

I just got my first Volca in mail......too small for my swollen hands and fingers......

Less salt in the diet will help. And a midi controller. I hear ya though, they are teeny - luckily i have skinny fingers.

• @kinkujin said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@aquasloth said:

Less salt in the diet will help. And a midi controller. I hear ya though, they are teeny - luckily i have skinny fingers.

I kind of said it in jest.....I have a couple Pocket Operators.......

But I did think they had a little more substance than it does.

Still may keep not sure.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@kinkujin said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@aquasloth said:

Still may keep not sure.

What's neat is you can get bigger knobs for the most used options. Plus add more fun color! I really love them. What Volca did you get?

• @aquasloth said:

Some kind of micro Lambda/Poly Ensemble would be cool. Ditch the sequencer for a touch strip for vibrato and you'd have quite an expressive string synth.

I can't help but laugh at people wanting stringer reboots though. There are so many giveaway organs that do the stringer thing and more, with great ensemble/vibrato. I get not having space for them, but they have that sound.

• @kinkujin said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@kinkujin said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@aquasloth said:

Still may keep not sure.

What's neat is you can get bigger knobs for the most used options. Plus add more fun color! I really love them. What Volca did you get?

Keys.