Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 official thread

Comments

• @brattcave said:

@gusgranite said:
    Yikes. The NS2 forum seems a bit unwelcoming. Nearly every bug and feature request gets challenged and in some cases ridiculed rather than logged for the developer to assess. I feel bad for the developer to be honest. NS2 is obviously an awesome achievement and open dialogue with users will only help it evolve.

Lol yep. Somewhat unfortunate - big release like this is bound to draw a lot of interest and surely it's normal to report potential bugs if you come across them. It isn't a slur on the developer! I've asked several times if anyone is able to use an external keyboard with a sustain pedal... pretty useful thing to be able to do IF it has been overlooked. No one yet simply able to say - "I've plugged one it and it works". Thanks to @StevePAL over here who at least had some suggestions.

I’m sure it will settle down. Lots of excitement after the long wait no doubt.

• @gusgranite said:

@brattcave said:

@gusgranite said:
    Yikes. The NS2 forum seems a bit unwelcoming. Nearly every bug and feature request gets challenged and in some cases ridiculed rather than logged for the developer to assess. I feel bad for the developer to be honest. NS2 is obviously an awesome achievement and open dialogue with users will only help it evolve.

Lol yep. Somewhat unfortunate - big release like this is bound to draw a lot of interest and surely it's normal to report potential bugs if you come across them. It isn't a slur on the developer! I've asked several times if anyone is able to use an external keyboard with a sustain pedal... pretty useful thing to be able to do IF it has been overlooked. No one yet simply able to say - "I've plugged one it and it works". Thanks to @StevePAL over here who at least had some suggestions.

Yeah. It’s only human nature for some to get defensive over a product. Sure if we keep calm and have a few laughs, all will be well in the land :p

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@gusgranite said:

I don’t really see it that way. There’s robust discussion between users and stuff is getting clarified and refined without the developer having to engage in every single discussion or to make decisions in a vacuum. Disagreeing is healthy for flushing out details.

Yes, some of the people who have been beta testing and waiting for this release a zillion years seem a little defensive and over-resistant to change. I kind of get that, even though I let my annoyance at that attitude get the better of me too often.

The developer, on the other hand is very open minded, and really just seeks clarification rather than taking any stance.

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@McDtracy said:

@anickt said:
    I doubt you’ll see IAA in NS2 ever.

You might because AB3 is tied to it and Matt may give users the AB features they request. It's being considered along with the other "requests". He's just not sold on the importance to the most users.

My admittedly uninformed opinion is internal support for hosting IAA apps will never be there. And I hope he sticks to that.

Yes, AB and IAA are joined at the hip, but there are two distinct aspects to IAA. Being hosted, and hosting. Personally, I hope that the developer does not open the door to hosting IAA internally, does allow NS2 to be hosted in AB (and IAA if needed).

Think of apps like GR-16 and KEW. They can be loaded into hosts, but host nothing themselves. I kind of hope that NS2 takes that approach (albeit with AUv3 internal hosting).

Clamoring for internal IAA hosting will be greatly reduced as long as it’s still possible to get the audio from IAA apps into NS2 live by other direct methods such as AB or IAA.

• @wim said:

@McDtracy said:

@anickt said:
    I doubt you’ll see IAA in NS2 ever.

You might because AB3 is tied to it and Matt may give users the AB features they request. It's being considered along with the other "requests". He's just not sold on the importance to the most users.

My admittedly uninformed opinion is internal support for hosting IAA apps will never be there. And I hope he sticks to that.

Yes, AB and IAA are joined at the hip, but there are two distinct aspects to IAA. Being hosted, and hosting. Personally, I hope that the developer does not open the door to hosting IAA internally, does allow NS2 to be hosted in AB (and IAA if needed).

Think of apps like GR-16 and KEW. They can be loaded into hosts, but host nothing themselves. I kind of hope that NS2 takes that approach (albeit with AUv3 internal hosting).

Excellent information and perspective. I'm with you on this but haven't paid for it yet. I'll use this for my excuse until a future credit card cycle. I just got busted for the Black Friday Madness.

"I bought myself Christmas Presents. No need to wrap them." She's still obligated to buy me something... so, "I'll take Bluetooth MIDI Keyboard for $129 Alex." Form your answer as a question.
    "What music hardware can you NOT live without in 2019?"

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@tja said:

@wim said:

@tja said:

@dendy said:

@Artmuzz said:
    I’m really enjoying NanoStudio 2 but is there a way to disable auto save on the projects?

Why is it bothering you ? You can always load your last manual save or even your last previous sabe.. watch the project info page in "Load" browser (that one with image) .. under image you see "Versions" - if you tap there you can choose what version you want open - autosaved, last manually saved, or previous manually sabe ..

That's an old topic.
    Many people just play around their things and would prefer to NOT have them saved automatically, but only when they press the save button.
    Like on a desktop.

On a mobile system, it seems that crashes and problems happen more often, therefor the strange idea of auto save.
    Xequence has nearly the best system implemented, just one option to toggle is missing.
    I did not compare how NS2 handles this.

I think you missed the point. In NS2 you have a choice when opening a project whether to load the last manually saved, auto-saved, or even the previous auto-save. What could be better than that? It seems to cater to everyone.

The point is, that it you have no choice at all.

It autoloads automatically.
    Sadly.
    And only after that, you can change the load.

Both (the regular) AutoLoad and AutoSave feature are generally a bad idea.
    I think we discussed this already.

Xequence has it nearly perfect, but also autoloads and misses a toggle for the save too.

But my point was a different, whatever nanostudio saves itself or not, it autoloads (which is already wrong, when this is not optionally) and also autoloads the wrong version!
    It does not load what I saved manually!

Those things are badly implemented nearly everywhere, without thought

Well, even though I almost never agree with you, at least we got you trained enough not to call something like this a “bug” anymore. :D B) o:)

• @wim @Fruitbat1919 right on!

I actually hope NS2 goes supernova and pulls every other iOS DAW up by its breeches. It looks like a great achievement so bring on the celebrations!

Oh, and all aboard the AU train! :wink:

• @wim, this is just because it is no bug :D
    Contrary to bugs we spoke earlier about ;)
    Anyway, have fun!

• @echoopera said:
    Been using AB3 to route some Rozeta goodness to NS2. Here’s the preset if interested:
    Audiobus preset 'nanoStudio 2 Setup': http://preset.audiob.us/X5ynnC9JvMN1GA3

You can load Rozetta plug-ins right into NS2.> @echoopera said:

C> @anickt said:

@echoopera said:
    Been using AB3 to route some Rozeta goodness to NS2. Here’s the preset if interested:
    Audiobus preset 'nanoStudio 2 Setup': http://preset.audiob.us/X5ynnC9JvMN1GA3

You can load Rozetta plug-ins right into NS2.

Yep. You just can’t record the midi data that is generated 😜

So this setup gets you over that limitation 👊🏼™️

Ah-ha! Good to know.

• @gusgranite said:

@brattcave said:

@gusgranite said:

I just read a bunch of posts over there and it seems like people are behaving like they’ve had too much coffee and too little sleep. Pretty spikey for now.

• @gusgranite it’s getting out of hand over there.

• edited December 2018

@hansjbs said:
    @gusgranite it’s getting out of hand over there.

Aww, they’re just having fun...

• @brattcave said:

@gusgranite said:

Hey guys. I understand, it's been a rather hectic week for many of us in NS2 land. Hard to keep up but everything is being noted whether or not directly acknowledged. And certainly know nobody intends to come off brash or unappreciative.

Honestly the AB guys here have been among the most connected and helpful from what I have seen. That includes suggestions and notes for improvements.

• DCJDCJ
    edited December 2018

I made it to the end of the thread! what do I get what do I get?!

• @DCJ said:

That's not the end of the thread... this is. You get what's behind curtain #3.

• edited December 2018

@DCJ said:

• @wim said:

@Slam_Cut said:

@wim said:
    I've never seen an app of this magnitude released on iOS with so few bug reports! The closest to a "bug" I've read is dislike of the way some AU's scale in the default view. Amazing.

Just wanted to add that the AUv3 apps aren’t behaving well due to lack of detailed documantation from Apple and inconsistent implementation by devs. These problems are part of the growing pains of the AUv3 standard and should be minimized over time as devs bring their apps into a more consistent standardization. Or so I hope.

Yes, but between you and @dendy it seems like too much buck-passing in that respect. If all the other hosts out there can do it as well as they have, then Matt can and should do it better. IMO you two should stop being so defensive about it and start contributing suggestions about how it could be done better rather than promulgating the useless stance that the rest of the world needs to adapt to NS2. Either support AUs well or not at all.

I don’t expect miracles from Matt. He’s already delivered more than I can believe. But your defensiveness is neither needed, nor particularly helpful.

Hey wim! I’m sorry you feel that way I appologize if I have come off as defensive. I hope you will believe me that I was really trying to be helpful, not defensive. I’ve re-read my post several times and I don’t get what offended you about it. If you care to explain more, please do. Your opinions about AUv3 are valid, and so are mine. There was a lot of time spent working with Auv3 apps and a lot of headaches involved. I’m not defending or accusing anyone with what I said, just noting different implementation (problem starting with Apple’s poor documentation - I blame Apple!) causing headaches for the host. I don’t see it as passing the buck but I respect your opinion about it and won’t push it. Since I failed to add anything useful with that post, I’ll just pipe down and add no more about AUv3. Or NS2. I was only posting on this forum in an attempt to be of help, but now that the app is out, my help isn’t needed. It is really no matter to me. I don’t need to post on forums and will be dropping off of this one for the most part. I’ll try to check back on this thread to see if you are not satisfied with my appology. Do I need to buy you a beer or something? I’m game. I live in the LA area. Any chance your local?

• @Slam_Cut You’ve been really helpful. Thank you, and sorry to see you go if you do.

• @AudioGus said:

@anickt said:

@AudioGus said:

@syrupcore said:

@AudioGus said:
    Is AU automation for instruments limited to setting up macros? I can't record automation via the AU UI?

Correct.

Back to scrolling through lists of parameters... a shame given the otherwise sweet workflow. Synthmaster One has 800 parameters, heh, ahh well.

If it gets AU automation recording via UI for instruments and fx I will be a really happy camper.

It’s quick and easy to assign parameters to knobs. No shame there from what I see.

yes, it is quick and easy for Obsidian but not for AUs that have 800 parameters to sort through in a list. Plus it seems like you would have to set it up for each instance in each new project. Not the end of the world but disappointing in terms of workflow Nirvana.

I'm late to the party here so you might already know this but you can actually save a set of AUv3 Macros as the default for a given AUv3. It's in the hamburger menu somewheres.

• @Stiksi said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    What’s the quickest way to shorten or lengthen a part in the part editor or song editor? Can’t work it out!

Select the part in the song editor and use the rightmost handle.

Yep. It'll adjust by the unit you've set it GRID. If you want to freely adjust it, turn off the "grid snap".

• @Samu said:

@Stiksi said:

@Samu said:
    How easy is it to 'convert' a track or part of a track using either built-in sounds or an AUv3 to a sample/audio-file?

As I've understood it all recorded samples are kept in the currently active sessions folder so if it's crap it's easy to do housekeeping.
    (I've yet to take the plunge, waiting for 'Santa' to deliver more store credits).

That would be by doing a mixdown. It’s pretty straight forward.

Quite a 'chore' for sampling a few notes from an AUv3 compared to BM3 ;)
    I was hoping for a 'long tap' on the selected part on the time-line and 'render to file' or something similar.
    While Obsidian looks tempting I'm more into 'sampling stuff' coming from a tracker background.

It's pretty fast in practice. Tap and "Render to file" is a cool idea though. Maybe mention it at the NS forum?

• @Pummelfee said:
    What iOS Synth is closest to Obsidian? Thor? Sunrizer? Nave? ...?

Maybe Thor but that's a bit of stretch. I picked that one because it's one of the few other iOS synths that offer multiple, diverse types of oscillators.

• @wim said:
    I've never seen an app of this magnitude released on iOS with so few bug reports! The closest to a "bug" I've read is dislike of the way some AU's scale in the default view. Amazing.

For reals. It's not all that unlike NS1 in that way.

It was sorta funny (ok, and a bit disheartening) reading angryish posts from people complaining about the release delay as if anyone on earth wanted it to be released more than Matt did (other than his family, maybe!). It's a massive project and seems he's just thorough af.

• edited December 2018

@Telstar5 said:
    What’s the best way to use it w effectrix which doesnt have auv3?

Think you'll need to mixdown whatever section you want to put through effectrix and then use something like AB3+Audioshare or AUM to both process and capture the processed version to bring back into NS.

Or just automate the built in FX in real time like Effectrix does. ;)

• @syrupcore said:

@Telstar5 said:
    What’s the best way to use it w effectrix which doesnt have auv3?

Think you'll need to mixdown whatever section you want to put through effectrix and then use something like AB3+Audioshare or AUM to both process and capture the processed version to bring back into NS.

Or just automate the built in FX in real time like Effectrix does. ;)

FWIW, automation lanes (and/or subsections of them) can be copied and pasted. You could make a send or insert track with a stack of effects similar to effectrix and then create some automation patterns on the timeline to automate them. Then, you can copy and paste those patterns as needed to stack up different effects into a pattern you like. Then... you can experiment with that same rhythm applied to different effect parameters just by copy and pasting.

I'm pretty sure those patterns can also be exported and imported as MIDI files but don't quote me on that bit. At the very least you can save the whole thing as a template for later reuse.

• @Telstar5 said:

@Samu said:

@Cib said:

I've read thru the NS2 manual but seen no urgent need nor desire to get it...

Blasphemy :)

LOL, I'm serious. I can't keep on spending >$100 monthly on apps it's too much.
    Next year I will keep my app-spendings to a minimum so I can at some point get me a new iPad...

The way it keeps your auv3’s organized though!

This, for me, is solidly in the "Big Deal" category. It makes using AUs (and saving/browsing) their sounds a delight. I'm hoping 1) all AU developers get on board with reporting their presets to the host properly and 2) (a huge stretch) they considering using the NS2 tag set to categorize them so we don't have to do it. :star:

• @david_2017 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@david_2017 said:
    I went 4 hours to work again and we have another 96 posts!? This will be more than a mega thread.... oha...

What do you guys think about an Obsidian SOUNDFEST in January ;)
    I will try my best, but right now I am a bit overwhelmed by the synth. Its feels like Thor but even more. So good.

I think it’s too early for such a synth for my own opinion - will take me a while longer to really get to grips with it. I know others will be up and running in no time though lol

Hehe, it’s massive. The question is, can we share user created presets/patches?
    I haven’t dived in too deep into NS2 for now. Hopefully more tomorrow.
    But a community soundpack for our new fav App would be cool 😎

I'm one of the biggest NS fans around so please forgive me for adding this: NS2 doesn't support Audiobus and Obsidian isn't an AU synth that could be hosted in AB. Much as I love Obsidian and NS, I don't think it's appropriate to make Obsidian the focus of an AB Forum Soundfest. Don't shit where you eat, etc. /2¢

• I want to hear the filters in action....anyone?

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@Slam_Cut said:

@wim said:

@Slam_Cut said:

@wim said:

Just wanted to add that the AUv3 apps aren’t behaving well due to lack of detailed documantation from Apple and inconsistent implementation by devs. These problems are part of the growing pains of the AUv3 standard and should be minimized over time as devs bring their apps into a more consistent standardization. Or so I hope.

Yes, but between you and @dendy it seems like too much buck-passing in that respect. If all the other hosts out there can do it as well as they have, then Matt can and should do it better. IMO you two should stop being so defensive about it and start contributing suggestions about how it could be done better rather than promulgating the useless stance that the rest of the world needs to adapt to NS2. Either support AUs well or not at all.

I don’t expect miracles from Matt. He’s already delivered more than I can believe. But your defensiveness is neither needed, nor particularly helpful.

Hey wim! I’m sorry you feel that way I appologize if I have come off as defensive. I hope you will believe me that I was really trying to be helpful, not defensive. I’ve re-read my post several times and I don’t get what offended you about it. If you care to explain more, please do. Your opinions about AUv3 are valid, and so are mine. There was a lot of time spent working with Auv3 apps and a lot of headaches involved. I’m not defending or accusing anyone with what I said, just noting different implementation (problem starting with Apple’s poor documentation - I blame Apple!) causing headaches for the host. I don’t see it as passing the buck but I respect your opinion about it and won’t push it. Since I failed to add anything useful with that post, I’ll just pipe down and add no more about AUv3. Or NS2. I was only posting on this forum in an attempt to be of help, but now that the app is out, my help isn’t needed. It is really no matter to me. I don’t need to post on forums and will be dropping off of this one for the most part. I’ll try to check back on this thread to see if you are not satisfied with my appology. Do I need to buy you a beer or something? I’m game. I live in the LA area. Any chance your local?

Thanks for your response @Slam_Cut.

Offended? I never was even close to offended. I was annoyed at what I see (not from Matt however) as repeated sidestepping of the issue and the unrealistic suggestions that other AU developers should and will somehow adapt to NS2’s unique design constraints, when their apps work well in most or all other hosts. I’m confident Matt can and will make AU support in NS2 as good or better than other hosts. It just isn’t there yet (other than reliability, which is top-notch).

I apologize for being overly harsh. I should not have let my frustration over the direction of those conversations get away from me. I don’t take any of this personally. It’s just a debate, plain and simple. I forget too often that others do take this stuff personally. I’ll be more careful going forward.

• Hey @syrupcore, are you Will over at the NS2 forum?

This discussion has been closed.