Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

So the OP-1 is kaput, no more available is that soooo?

little premature isn't it

Comments

• I sold my op1 within a month for my iPad pro, sold it for more than I paid 😂 suckers lolol, I hated that hipster synth....sorry I'm just venting but I think the op1 manufacturing stage is over with opz and whatever they make next

• I've heard some great music come out of those things.....
    if I had one I would have put it away in a drawer and never sold it

• I liked the idea behind OP-1 , looks like a lot of fun to use, if a bit overpriced. Was never impressed with the built in synth sounds though, too artificially limited and thin/chiptune sounding, which might be great if you're into that type of thing. I almost jumped on board a few times, but ended up ordering the Deluge instead.

I believe they ran into a shortage of the screens for them, so they might have to redesign it to use a different one before starting up production again. At this point, they may as well just focus on OP-2 .. It's almost a certainty that they'll continue making something similar, hopefully more powerful. It's their core product & biggest seller after all.

• This blows. I sold mine and regret it at least once a week. Was making some great hip hop with it. I’ll be grabbing another one some day when they get it together again. Just hoped to buy another sooner

• Don’t regret losing mine - it was a lovely thing, but very underused. I guess the worry now will be getting parts when they go wrong, but no doubt they’ll go up in value.

• Good grief, people already have used OP-1 listed for $1500 on ebay ... none available on Reverb either. I give it 1 year before we see a refreshed model, maybe even OP-2 released.

Monzo: Might be a good idea to stock up on a spare battery or two at least, supposedly they can be found for $12 each on Aliexpress.

Not sure what other parts might be prone to failure on them; I'd certainly want to be careful with the ports & try to minimize wear there. Looks to be built like a tank though & could last decades if cared for.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Teenage+Engineering+OP-1+Battery+Replacement/65563

• it was in production for 7 years. for a companys first product that is incredibly good. it still gets high praise from top people in the industry. definitely more than a “hipster synth” as said above...

• I doubt they will do an OP2 they don’t seem to be a company that repeats its achievements.
    They may possibly retool the manufacturing process if they can source an alternative supply of screens but if that does not happen I feel this will be the end of “new” OP-1’s.
    I’m pleased I still have mine as in my view the design of the unit and the OS are future classics, however if the prices go too crazy I may be tempted to part with it.

• @kobamoto said:
    I've heard some great music come out of those things.....
    if I had one I would have put it away in a drawer and never sold it

What else you got in that drawer now....huh....can I look in your drawers...... ;)

• edited December 2018

@sysexual said:
    it was in production for 7 years. for a companys first product that is incredibly good. it still gets high praise from top people in the industry. definitely more than a “hipster synth” as said above...

Never played one, but it's definitely a hipster synth just based on its marketing. Sure, it can probably go deeper, and you may have enjoyed it as much as any classic synth, but at its surface level it's undeniably a hipster synth.

I love Journey deeply and unironically, but for a bit there about a decade ago they were an ironic hipster band. No biggie

• @oat_phipps said:

@sysexual said:
    it was in production for 7 years. for a companys first product that is incredibly good. it still gets high praise from top people in the industry. definitely more than a “hipster synth” as said above...

Never played one, but it's definitely a hipster synth just based on its marketing. Sure, it can probably go deeper, and you may have enjoyed it as much as any classic synth, but at its surface level it's undeniably a hipster synth.

I love Journey deeply and unironically, but for a bit there about a decade ago they were an ironic hipster band. No biggie

I found it pretty limited to be honest, and the sound quality wasn't great. I loved the build, size and sampler though - lot's of fun to be had with that, but compared to what you can do with an iPad these days...

• I love it. Sold it twice, recently got my 3rd, which i intend to keep. My earlier frustrations were in trying to do self contained stuff in the tape machine. It can be done, and my earliest videos are just that, but it is maddeningly frustrating. No quantize, quirky sequencers etc. Now where it does shine is that it feels great, is super compact, crazy long life battery, you can assign most things to an internal gyro-motion thingamajiggy (tilt it while playing a string sound and vary the attack, filter etc). Just plain fun. Now i use it mostly tracking one sound at a time into my octatrack, external fx really opens it up. I sequence from the octatrack and bypass the internal sequencers i’m not crazy about. And it has everything, from chip tune to strings to samples of whatever i feed it. The arpeggiator is great and very weird. Has some very different fx’s. Drums sound great. Sometimes i just use it as a accompanying synth for a track that i built elsewhere and loaded into the octatrack and it’s just super convenient and fun to play and it’s so small.

When i take into account that it’s a drum machine and synth and sampler (pitched or rex-like), has all other quirky things AND is the best feeling mini 2 octave controller i have used, and has such a long battery life, $800-900 is not crazy expensive. Definitely wouln’t pay the $1500 or so people want to sell it for though.

• just did this last weekend, all sounds from op-1 except for some drum hit samples.

• @vpich said:
    just did this last weekend, all sounds from op-1 except for some drum hit samples.

Sound great :) Thx!

• @vpich said:
    just did this last weekend, all sounds from op-1 except for some drum hit samples.

Way too short! More, please.

• edited December 2018

@oat_phipps said:

@sysexual said:

:D c'mon Oats there's nothing more hipster than the surface marketing surrounding making music on the iPad, spread the love

p.s. what is hipster anyway?

• @kobamoto said:

@oat_phipps said:

@sysexual said:

:D c'mon Oats there's nothing more hipster than the surface marketing surrounding making music on the iPad, spread the love

Yeah the hipster slam could be used for anything really. Also are the cool new with their own style kids still hipsters? Seems like the 2010 hipsters would be married with kids and not cool anymore. Isn’t there a new term?

@greengrocer thanks man, didn’t bring this one around these parts because no ios this time.
    @ExAsperis99 kinda did it short on purpose, partly because i got lazy and partly because average watch times are always short so i wanted to “edit myself” a bit.

• As soon a I saw the Akai MPK Mini Play I knew that the OP-1's days were numbered:)

• surely you jest Dham

• It’s like Akai have lost their damn minds...

• @oat_phipps said:

@sysexual said:

"Hipster" or not like any instrument in the right hands WOW

• some things labeled “hipster” are pretty cool. dont let our human obsession to label things into a category ruin you for some cool stuff. personally i feel those who are labelling things as hipster are probably one themselves...takes one to know one they say...

• @kobamoto said:

p.s. what is hipster anyway?

Intellectual Definition:
    The hipster subculture is stereotypically composed of young adults who reside primarily in gentrified neighborhoods.[1][2] It is broadly associated with indie and alternative music and genres such as chill-out, folk, modern rock, pop rock, and post-Britpop. Hipsters also frequently flaunt a varied non-mainstream fashion sensibility, vintage and thrift store-bought clothing, generally pacifist, conservative political views, veganism, organic and artisanal foods, craft alcoholic beverages, and alternative lifestyles. The subculture typically consists of mostly white young adults living in urban areas.[3][4] It has been described as a "mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behavior".[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_(contemporary_subculture)

Slang Definition:
    Hipsters are people that try too hard to be different (and genuinely do think that they're being different), by rejecting anything they deem to be too popular.
    Ironically, so many other people also try too hard to be different that they all wind up being the exact same, so hipsters arent actually different at all, theyre just people that are snobbier and more annoying about their taste in "alternative" things, which are all popular now thanks to the other hipsters.
    Hipsters pride themselves on liking things that no one else likes, and normally only really like them because they think no one else likes them and that theyre being unique. This is being delusional because all the other hipsters also like the same things.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster

• @Dham said:
    As soon a I saw the Akai MPK Mini Play I knew that the OP-1's days were numbered:)

this is hilarious joking or not.

• edited December 2018

@oat_phipps said:

@sysexual said:

A cursory glance on YouTube or Instagram will yield an insane, eclectic array of incredible music made with an op-1. Don’t forget that it’s an incredibly capable sampler, and when synths are used judiciously in combination w/ samples and effects, the OP-1 can take you anywhere you want to go, unless your destination is merely “more options”.

Look at chess, then look at, say, “Final Fantasy Tactics”. In chess, there are exactly 6 types of pieces, each capable of one movement type. In FFT, there are 20 classes, 200 weapon types, 60 spells, flying, etc. etc. But chess will always endure the test of time, while games with far deeper rulesets come and go. Why?

Because the limited options in chess oblige you to craft stupendously creative tactics and techniques. There’s an elegance to working with constraints. It fosters creativity.

I’ll leave it there.

• edited December 2018

@Icepulse said:

@oat_phipps said:

@sysexual said:

A cursory glance on YouTube or Instagram will yield an insane, eclectic array of incredible music made with an op-1. Don’t forget that it’s an incredibly capable sampler, and when synths are used judiciously in combination w/ samples and effects, the OP-1 can take you anywhere you want to go, unless your destination is merely “more options”.

The same can be said about the Korg Volca Sample which cost only $100 and even 2 or 3 Volca devices for $200 or $300. What I want to say that it's not the instrument that makes cool and crazy stuff but the people that use them. And of course you can do cool stuff the OP-1 but you can do also do cool stuff with a device that's much cheaper. I rest my case.

• @Icepulse said:

@oat_phipps said:

@sysexual said:

Look at chess, then look at, say, “Final Fantasy Tactics”. In chess, there are exactly 6 types of pieces, each capable of one movement type. In FFT, there are 20 classes, 200 weapon types, 60 spells, flying, etc. etc. But chess will always endure the test of time, while games with far deeper rulesets come and go. Why?

Because the limited options in chess oblige you to craft stupendously creative tactics and techniques. There’s an elegance to working with constraints. It fosters creativity.

I’ll leave it there.

Final Fantasy Tactics? I get your large point, but take issue with your example. ;) I think it'll be one of the few classic video games that'll stand the test of time and still be played and remembered 50 years from now. Not sure about 1000 years from now like chess, but video games of that stature tend to survive long term in a different way, the concepts & innovations passed on to future games. People love complexity and deep rulesets in their games, which I think will stand the test of time just as well as games like Chess.

• @robertreynolds said:
    It’s like Akai have lost their damn minds...

:D

• You guys took a very surface level, and admittedly so, judgement too seriously. Sorry I made it in the first place and wasted your time.

• Don't feel too bad, nothing says hipster more than the OP-1 except final fantasy tactics. We never would have learned this without your judgement. 🧐

OP-1 was a lot more functional than I expected, but it that's not screaming hipster I don't know what is. Shame they are discontinued though, I sometimes think of picking one up again.