Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 official thread

Comments

• @dendy said:
    @StevePAL In case you will show use case of unison, eventually mention Rand > Osc Phase modulation, it makes huge difference in unison character

Great tip dendy! I still haven't tried this...

@dendy said:

@ohwell said:
    @dendy Any word on MPE support plans down the road? (Not a “must have” for me - already pre-ordered, but it will be a very nice bonus if and when it comes...)

i remember it was mentioned by somebody in beta team but because rhere was tons more important things to do, it was moved to "somewhere in future" list.. but i'm sure if more people will ask for it, it will be given higher priority for this task.. lets see.. if there will be MPE support maybe i buy seaboard too :smiley:

Guilty. I got no official answer on it, but could tell that it would have to at the end of the list and wait to see how much it actually gets requested. MPE is rare for DAW, but seems like the future off all apps must include MPE. One Day...

BTW, I call NS2 a DAW because it is a short-hand term that we all get the gist of: software to compose music. True Audio Tracks in NS2 would leave no one to doubt this term, but for me Audio Clips for now is close enough. People referred to Auria as a DAW before Auria Pro got MIDI. For me, no MIDI is not a real DAW. Semantics aside, those from a more traditional Audio Recording environment background just need to know that this app does not have the features you want just yet. There are plenty of apps that have audio recording into Audio Tracks - for many years now. NS2 was delayed and launched a year after expected. It does not make sense to make everyone wait until June just so that NS2 will have Audio Tracks and be formally eligible for the designation DAW. Many many users will primarily be using synths/samples & Audio Clips and not 'need' Audio Tracks. So maybe we can temporarily use the designation DaW for NS2 to denote baby audio and full grown Audio Tracks...?

• edited December 2018

@SpookyZoo Hell yeah, you found it :-) :+1:

That was my hidden yoke with point revealed just now :-)

• @tja said:

@Slam_Cut said:

@iansainsbury said:
    Hope to see some of you over at the new NS2 forum when it launches.

That is my normal internet home. I usually just lurk here to get the scoop on new apps.

This is wrong.
    Any and all iOS music discussion belongs into this very forum.
    Even if NS2 not (yet?) supports AB.
    Just out of principle.

:D

I can agree that it is nice to have a mega-forum where all iOS music production apps can be discussed, but it is such a massive site with so many threads that I really get lost quickly.

Normal M.O.:
    Hear about new app on AB Forum
    Check out Dischord
    Look for vids from Doug or Jakob or whomever
    Buy app
    Get busy and forget to use app (AKA "Rinse")
    Check back in on the AB forum (AKA "Repeat")

Staying on Nanostudio forum will make it easier for me to manage time and actually get around to using the vast array of apps I have. Nothing personal against you guys. (Yes, I do get that your post was joking. Wait? It wasn't a joke...?)

• I fully understand, @Slam_Cut ;)

• @tja said:

@osc101 said:

@tja said:

@Norbert said:
    The UI looks very intuitive and nice. I will probably get it.

@Cib said:
    So samples go to RAM. That means i need one of those €2000 iPads with 1TB and 6 GB RAM which can‘t run AUv3 as good as older devices (at least until they solve the bug).
    I try to wait for the iPhone version but G.A.S. is coming in hard right now.

Never heared that.
    So I can be lucky with my iPad Pro12.9 2017 :)

Are all of the new iPad Pro are affected, or only the 1 TB version?

I have all three 12.9 iPad Pro's and I can say first hand that the 1st generation units run AUv3 best... No idea why I keep buying them. I guess I keep hoping the situation will improve..

What problems did you experience with the newer versions?
    Or do we have a topic about this already?

Starting with the 2nd generation, Gadget, BM3 , Cubasis etc..would get random CPU spikes and/or buffer over runs resulting in clicks and pops. With each new iPad, I restore from backup, so the apps and data are all the same. This limits the variables for root cause. I've AB'd the same song data files on each iPad for audio anomalies...

As it stands now, I have to run BM3 with a 2048 buffer just to get it reliable enough for use on some projects. Same goes for Cubasis and Gadget.

• @Slam_Cut

Normal M.O.:
    Hear about new app on AB Forum
    Check out Dischord
    Look for vids from Doug or Jakob or whomever
    Buy app
    Get busy and forget to use app (AKA "Rinse")
    Check back in on the AB forum (AKA "Repeat")

Mine is the same except I sometimes buy the app and then check out Dischord / vids etc - which is completely wrong way lol

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@osc101 said:

@tja said:

@Norbert said:

@Cib said:
    So samples go to RAM. That means i need one of those €2000 iPads with 1TB and 6 GB RAM which can‘t run AUv3 as good as older devices (at least until they solve the bug).

Never heared that.

I have all three 12.9 iPad Pro's and I can say first hand that the 1st generation units run AUv3 best... No idea why I keep buying them. I guess I keep hoping the situation will improve..

Does the 1st gen run them better than the 2nd gen?

Less buffer over runs on older iPad Pro 12.9... random CPU spikes aside, CPU utilization is lower on average in newer unit.

• @osc101 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@osc101 said:

@tja said:

@Norbert said:

@Cib said:

Never heared that.

Does the 1st gen run them better than the 2nd gen?

Less buffer over runs on older iPad Pro 12.9... random CPU spikes aside, CPU utilization is lower on average in newer unit.

Thanks

• @osc101 said:

@tja said:

@osc101 said:

@tja said:

@Norbert said:

@Cib said:

Never heared that.

What problems did you experience with the newer versions?
    Or do we have a topic about this already?

Starting with the 2nd generation, Gadget, BM3 , Cubasis etc..would get random CPU spikes and/or buffer over runs resulting in clicks and pops. With each new iPad, I restore from backup, so the apps and data are all the same. This limits the variables for root cause. I've AB'd the same song data files on each iPad for audio anomalies...

As it stands now, I have to run BM3 with a 2048 buffer just to get it reliable enough for use on some projects. Same goes for Cubasis and Gadget.

You disabled 120 Hz, Background Activity, Notifications, Animations and other stuff already?
    I did not yet do much things on the 12.9 and did not compare to my 9.7 Pro.

To stay relevant, I will compare NS2 on both Pros!

• edited December 2018

@osc1 is his happening also if you use just AUv3 plugins and no IAA/AB ?

• edited December 2018

Why won't you release ns2 !!! Take the money now

1. December, 00:04 and NS2 does not seem to drop
  • @tja said:
    07. December, 00:04 and NS2 does not seem to drop

Did it say 2018?

• edited December 2018

@dendy said:

@ocelot said:
    Are there sample-playback options for disk streaming? Or are all of the samples loaded into RAM? Thanks.

No disk streaming currently, everything loaded to RAM.

Thanks. Once audio tracks (which require disk streaming) are available next year, I wonder if Matt will add a disk-streaming option for samples in Obsidian and Slate?

And did I read that correctly? Individual notes can be modulation sources in Obsidian?!
    Like C3, C#3...or is key-tracking a mod source?

• @RajahP said:

@tja said:

Did it say 2018?

:) :D :)

• I wonder if Matt will add a disk-streaming option for samples in Obsidian and Slate!

That would make sense, definitely good idea in my opinion. But i'm just poor beta tester and content maker, decision is always on Matt ...

• edited December 2018

C'mon you guys. I've been out all over Austin fighting the rush-hour-in-the-rain traffic; no one else bragging about their installation yet?

• @Slam_Cut said:

@dendy said:
    @StevePAL In case you will show use case of unison, eventually mention Rand > Osc Phase modulation, it makes huge difference in unison character

Great tip dendy! I still haven't tried this...

@dendy said:

@ohwell said:
    @dendy Any word on MPE support plans down the road? (Not a “must have” for me - already pre-ordered, but it will be a very nice bonus if and when it comes...)

i remember it was mentioned by somebody in beta team but because rhere was tons more important things to do, it was moved to "somewhere in future" list.. but i'm sure if more people will ask for it, it will be given higher priority for this task.. lets see.. if there will be MPE support maybe i buy seaboard too :smiley:

Guilty. I got no official answer on it, but could tell that it would have to at the end of the list and wait to see how much it actually gets requested. MPE is rare for DAW, but seems like the future off all apps must include MPE. One Day...

BTW, I call NS2 a DAW because it is a short-hand term that we all get the gist of: software to compose music. True Audio Tracks in NS2 would leave no one to doubt this term, but for me Audio Clips for now is close enough. People referred to Auria as a DAW before Auria Pro got MIDI. For me, no MIDI is not a real DAW. Semantics aside, those from a more traditional Audio Recording environment background just need to know that this app does not have the features you want just yet. There are plenty of apps that have audio recording into Audio Tracks - for many years now. NS2 was delayed and launched a year after expected. It does not make sense to make everyone wait until June just so that NS2 will have Audio Tracks and be formally eligible for the designation DAW. Many many users will primarily be using synths/samples & Audio Clips and not 'need' Audio Tracks. So maybe we can temporarily use the designation DaW for NS2 to denote baby audio and full grown Audio Tracks...?

I rather call NS2 a groovebox at this moment. It's more in the line with the Korg Electribes and Groove Rider than real DAWS like Auria and Cubasis.

• edited December 2018

@tja said:

@RajahP said:

@tja said:

Did it say 2018?

:) :D :)

Yes, it does say 2018...

Y’all let me know how the midi recording measures up.. it sucks in BM3..

• edited December 2018

@ocelot said:
    And did I read that correctly? Individual notes can be modulation sources in Obsidian?!
    Like C3, C#3...or is key-tracking a mod source?

few mod sources, watch “note”, that is what i was talking about

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    C'mon you guys. I've been out all over Austin fighting the rush-hour-in-the-rain traffic; no one else bragging about their installation yet?

PantsOfDeath on iPad Musician FB page...

• @mannix said:

I rather call NS2 a groovebox at this moment. It's more in the line with the Korg Electribes and Groove Rider than real DAWS like Auria and Cubasis.

Sorry, it is nothing like electribe or GR. It’s a full fledged linear sequencer. Electribe and GR are pattern chainers.

Just because NS2 doesn’t have audio tracks doesn’t mean it’s a groove box.

• @drez said:

@mannix said:

Sorry, it is nothing like electribe or GR. It’s a full fledged linear sequencer. Electribe and GR are pattern chainers.

Newbs :)
    Everybody who used NS1 knows about the workflow. That’s the main selling feature. There was something about those drag handles that made you come back to it over and over.

• Come on someone post some videos!!!!!! 😁😥🎊🎉💕

• @drez said:

@mannix said:

I agree, it’s a sampler/sequencer although not having time stretching/pitch shifting was shocking to find out. It’s certainly not a DAW.

• edited December 2018

@Trueyorky said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

PantsOfDeath on iPad Musician FB page...

I AM READY.

• Super impressed with the mixer and fx. Loaded up a demo track with a stack of tracks and heaps of fx on each channel.. uses 23% of cpu on my iPad mini2!! 😍

• Also really like Slate and response when hitting the pads is excellent.
    Look forward to doing some sampling later

• Program is slick too. Smooth and looks great. Do some real testing over the weekend with keystep and tascam audio interface plugged in

• @[Deleted User] said:
    I agree, it’s a sampler/sequencer although not having time stretching/pitch shifting was shocking to find out. It’s certainly not a DAW.

Yeah, all that is coming, IMO. Based on what he was saying in the forum, he’s built it with an open framework in mind, fully knowing he couldn’t get everything he wanted done, but building its core functionality first. Now he doesn’t have to focus on a mixer, effects chains, routing, all those things people would be asking for anyway with audio tracks. He’s not not doing audio tracks or time stretching...he just hasn’t done them yet. He’s already said that he still has to focus on making sure that stretching audio on audio tracks with tempo changes works correctly. As in, if i’m At 120 BPM for measures 1-24, then I do a BPM increase to 140, the audio has to change accordingly. He can apply much of the same code to the audio editor and only have to work on it once.its smart coding.

He’s just an extremely detailed guy that doesn’t like to release whatever people want because they want it. That’s why he’s releasing it this way because he purposefully built it to release this way. Modular functionality that isn’t bolted on, but a planned phase approach.

Also, a lot of the NanoStudio following don’t necessarily care about audio tracks. I could care less, for example. So I think he is making the hardcore NS1 fans happy first, and then he’ll make the rest of the world more happier a little later.

This discussion has been closed.