Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM audio track looping

So with photon probably being released in a few weeks we will have a AUv3 midi recorder/looper which will enhance AUM as a performance tool. What I love to see is AUM have a built-in audio recorder/looper which could be added to any track via a node. Second to that possibly an AUv3 audio /looper.

What are the chances of this actually happening in the next months?

Comments

• While it isn't an AU solution, Loopy, AUM and AudioBus 3 synergize incredibly well. See the recent thread about setting it up. Loopy is such a well-thought out, mature and well-executed app.

I only recently discovered the joys of using it with AUM to create live looping jams with up to 12 loops being created and used in realtime. Like magic.

@[Deleted User] said:
    So with photon probably being released in a few weeks we will have a AUv3 midi recorder/looper which will enhance AUM as a performance tool. What I love to see is AUM have a built-in audio recorder/looper which could be added to any track via a node. Second to that possibly an AUv3 audio /looper.

• edited December 2018

@espiegel123 said:
    While it isn't an AU solution, Loopy, AUM and AudioBus 3 synergize incredibly well. See the recent thread about setting it up. Loopy is such a well-thought out, mature and well-executed app.

I only recently discovered the joys of using it with AUM to create live looping jams with up to 12 loops being created and used in realtime. Like magic.

@[Deleted User] said:

So audiobus is required for this to work? I will definitely look into it ! Cheers

However I would like to just use AUM in an ideal world.

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@[Deleted User] said:

@espiegel123 said:
    While it isn't an AU solution, Loopy, AUM and AudioBus 3 synergize incredibly well. See the recent thread about setting it up. Loopy is such a well-thought out, mature and well-executed app.

@[Deleted User] said:

So audiobus is required for this to work? I will definitely look into it ! Cheers

QuantiLoop and Group the Loop work well in AUM. They’re IAA, not AUv3 though.

• @wim said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@espiegel123 said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Can you loop separate AUM channels via this method?

• @[Deleted User] said:

@wim said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@espiegel123 said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Can you loop separate AUM channels via this method?

Yes, but there is some small amount of work involved. One way is to set the looper on a send channel, then switch out which apps are sending to that channel. You then record your loops into the app play them back from there. In the screenshot below, BASSalicious is ready to send to Quantiloop but the bus send is disabled and the sound is allowed to go to headphones. The USB (Audio interface) channel is routed to Group the Loop (GTL), so it is the next up to be recorded into it.

Sorry, it’s kind of difficult to explain in the time I have right now, but hopefully gives the general idea. Basically, you play through AUM until you’re ready to loop something, when ready you engage the send to the track that outputs to GTL, record in GTL, then start the playback from GTL. Same basic idea for QuantiLoop, I think.

• @wim
    That is very cool.
    B)

• With Loopy, AUM, AB3, You basically can do everything without leaving AUM, including changing loop lengths. Automatically advances to the next available loop. Automatically plays back the loops as you record. And up to 12 loops.

GTL is an excellent app, but for this use-case I think Loopy really shines.

• You can do looping of audio channels in AUM using Kosmonaut, for example. Here is a demonstration: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28144/aum-kosmonaut-frippertronics-style-loopstation-setup-by-martinjneuhold

• @espiegel123 said:
    With Loopy, AUM, AB3, You basically can do everything without leaving AUM, including changing loop lengths. Automatically advances to the next available loop. Automatically plays back the loops as you record. And up to 12 loops.

When you say without leaving AUM, I assume you're using a midi controller to control Loopy right? Like loop length/multiple, etc. etc.?

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@espiegel123 said:
    With Loopy, AUM, AB3, You basically can do everything without leaving AUM, including changing loop lengths. Automatically advances to the next available loop. Automatically plays back the loops as you record. And up to 12 loops.

When you say without leaving AUM, I assume you're using a midi controller to control Loopy right? Like loop length/multiple, etc. etc.?

Icons for Loopy show up on the AB3 palette to change loop length and start/stop recording.

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago where I posted a tutorial:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/576741/#Comment_576741

And you can do those things with MIDI. But I am happy using the palette.

• I prefer Loopy and AudioBus. But the other options with only AUM are there for people that for whatever reason don’t want to use AB. (Even if they are sub-human and should be locked up on an island somewhere.)

• @wim said:
    I prefer Loopy and AudioBus. But the other options with only AUM are there for people that for whatever reason don’t want to use AB. (Even if they are sub-human and should be locked up on an island somewhere.)

😂

• edited December 2018

@wim said:
    I prefer Loopy and AudioBus. But the other options with only AUM are there for people that for whatever reason don’t want to use AB. (Even if they are sub-human and should be locked up on an island somewhere.)

I used to be one of those subhumans. The only reason was though, that at the time aum wasn’t recalling my AB presets correctly with IAA zombies would follow me everywhere. The other reason was to keep the CPU footprint low by using less apps possible.

Now, a good few months later and after a few AB updates, everything is running way smoother. Especially with AUM monitoring trick suggested by Janosax. I’m content.

• edited December 2018

@wim said:

Not everyone want modularity and interconnectivity... some of us have a happy living in our island.

Signed: the sub-human people.
    :trollface:

• @espiegel123 said:

New to iOS music but this idea is one I’ve long fantasized about: the ability to have basically an array of independently operating Boss Loopstations (loops recorded on the fly, synced to a beat but otherwise free to be any length, that can be added or substracted to the mix in any order). Is this something you’re able to accomplish? Any chance you could demo?

• Now, a good few months later and after a few AB updates, everything is running way smoother. Especially with AUM monitoring trick suggested by Janosax. I’m content.

@supadom what @Janosax monitoring ?

• @audiblevideo said:

Now, a good few months later and after a few AB updates, everything is running way smoother. Especially with AUM monitoring trick suggested by Janosax. I’m content.

Check a look at this thread, first post :)

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30845/ios-looper-audiobus-aum-loopy-blueboard-how-to-use-them-with-audiobus-preset#latest

• @Janosax said:

@audiblevideo said:

Check a look at this thread, first post :)

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30845/ios-looper-audiobus-aum-loopy-blueboard-how-to-use-them-with-audiobus-preset#latest

Thanks