Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A Wavetable editor and Sampler AUV3/VST host - been done, good idea, or not?

edited December 2018 in Other

First off... apologies for not describing this very precisely. I don’t think one such app or program exists (though there are similar for mobile or desktop discussed below) but would love to be informed if there is something already out. If there isn’t and there is any need, please steal this idea and make it, devs out there! Just maybe give me a copy of the finished program. :D

Ok... the general idea is a program that both samples and/or creates wavetables from the audio fed into it. As an example.... think of some combo of Serum’s wavetable creation and Image Line’s Directwave VST which samples and acts as a VST host. I think the advantage of being a AU/VST host would be to directly sample multiple sources if need be. Sample files could of course also be loaded if desired.

But doing almost everything within the program itself would seem to be an advantage, ie “one-stop shopping”. And could be used for both keyboard and pads, synth and drum sounds... like Battery or Geist. Possibly could include some type of sample organization like Sononym or Algonaut’s Atlas... as long as we are imagining!

The possible use for such a program is rather simple. In creating all sorts of sounds with various synths and drum machines... one looks for different ways to capture the sound. Something that includes the various sample-synthesis techniques of waveforms and wavetables, PCM-type samples and multi-samples, granular, and loops. Resampling, effects, and additive re-synthesis, and so forth. Could be as simple or complex as desired.

There are countless other programs that do some or most of this, like Halion 6, Tone2 Icarus, VirSyn Audio Layer, PPG WaveMapper, UVI Falcon, Sugar Bytes Obscurium, and many others. Both the advantage and the tricky part is combining the features into one central hub. (For this, i would nominate either VirSyn or Sugar Bytes, for their presence on both desktop and mobile platforms. And for their forward thinking, innovation, and wonderful software instruments. Or maybe Bram Bos or Jordan Rudess’s Wizdom Music?)

Thoughts? Would you use such a program? What additional features would you recommend?

Comments

• edited December 2018

Not sure....for me f.e. it‘s just more easy to use 2 seperate tools ir more within one DAW and just layer them.
    Virsyn is vaporware (on desktop at least).
    Maybe Reaktor can do it all but i really hate to use it.

• edited December 2018

@Cib said:
    Not sure....for me f.e. it‘s just more easy to use 2 seperate tools ir more within one DAW and just layer them.

Yes, i hear what you saying about using multiple tools. That is the beauty and power of VSTs, DAWs, and MIDI. Create your own music machine. No one program is going to “do it all” even in a particular area. At least not without being an unwieldy monstrosity like Homer Simpson’s idea of a perfect car! :D Maybe streamlining the idea to something more like a expanded wavetable version of DirectWave. (Which I haven’t used, and foolishly passed on during the recent sale).

I wasn’t aware that VirSyn wasn’t focusing on desktop programs anymore. That would probably explain why there weren’t any Black Friday sales for them. And yea... Reaktor (or Max for Live) probably has some variety of synth or sampler imaginable... or one could just MAKE it using such. Still working on that part... :)

• @haulin_notes said:

@Cib said:

Yes, i hear what you saying about using multiple tools. That is the beauty and power of VSTs, DAWs, and MIDI. Create your own music machine. No one program is going to “do it all” even in a particular area. At least not without being an unwieldy monstrosity like Homer Simpson’s idea of a perfect car! :D Maybe streamlining the idea to something more like a expanded wavetable version of DirectWave. (Which I haven’t used, and foolishly passed on during the recent sale).

I wasn’t aware that VirSyn wasn’t focusing on desktop programs anymore. That would probably explain why there weren’t any Black Friday sales for them. And yea... Reaktor (or Max for Live) probably has some variety of synth or sampler imaginable.

Lol....from now on before i buy my next super hybrid do it all expensive synth i will imagine that Homer Simpson car.
    Doh´ :D

• edited December 2018

@Cib said:

@haulin_notes said:

@Cib said:

I wasn’t aware that VirSyn wasn’t focusing on desktop programs anymore. That would probably explain why there weren’t any Black Friday sales for them. And yea... Reaktor (or Max for Live) probably has some variety of synth or sampler imaginable.

Lol....from now on before i buy my next super hybrid do it all expensive synth i will imagine that Homer Simpson car.

LOL! I just bought Halion 6 (was on sale, couldn’t resist that state-of-the-art wavetable editor and sampler) and I’m starting to get that Homer feeling when using it. More buttons and knobs than the USS Enterprise. Great sounds, for certain. So deep, which is wonderful... but also allows for the possibility of drowning. Someone throw a life-preserver! S.O.S. :o

• @haulin_notes said:

@Cib said:

@haulin_notes said:

@Cib said:

LOL! I just bought Halion 6 (was on sale, couldn’t resist that state-of-the-art wavetable editor and sampler) and I’m starting to get that Homer feeling when using it. More buttons and knobs than the USS Enterprise. Great sounds, for certain. So deep, which is wonderful... but also allows for the possibility of drowning. Someone throw a life-preserver! S.O.S. :o

I have the same with Falcon. I never use it really these days. I much prefer now simpler tools and mostly they also are better in special areas. Since most modern DAWs save FX chains and midi FX and chains of instruments as single performance etc. my DAW is just my kind of modular tool.
    It´s also often more easy for me to use the same control/macro/GUI for different tools.
    I mean there is no right or wrong.
    Now i´m waiting for NS2 for iPhone, Dune 3 VST/AU and Arturia is teasing as well something for the 11th of December. Not mention that i love to collect Kontakt libraries.

• edited December 2018

Scythe Synth has a nice wavetable editor IAP, unfortunately the app is not AUv3 and you can’t export the wavetables to other apps. You can import audio files, edit them in the wavetable editor, then use them as oscillators in Scythe. I would love for the Sycthe Synth developer to release the wavetable editor as a standalone app so you could export wavetables to other apps which use wavetables like VirSyn, PPG apps, GrooveRider, and SynthMaster One.

PPG WaveGenerator allows you to import images, resize them, and convert them into wavetables. VirSyn Poseidon synth allows you to import audio, trim it, and convert it into a wavetable. Unfortunately PPG only provides a way to share them between PPG apps and Poseidon doesn’t provide a way to export the wavetable to other apps either.

KEW doesn’t have any wavetable Import, only IAP.

Would definitely like to see a developer fill this gap for DIY wavetable creation.

On a side note, the St Just in Roseland Organ app uses wavetables to model a specific church organ rather than using a load of samples so the app is only 19.5 MB rather than GBs in size and can even run on iOS 9.2 on an iPad 2.

• @Cib said:
    >

I have the same with Falcon. I never use it really these days. I much prefer now simpler tools and mostly they also are better in special areas. Since most modern DAWs save FX chains and midi FX and chains of instruments as single performance etc. my DAW is just my kind of modular tool.
    It´s also often more easy for me to use the same control/macro/GUI for different tools.
    I mean there is no right or wrong.
    Now i´m waiting for NS2 for iPhone, Dune 3 VST/AU and Arturia is teasing as well something for the 11th of December. Not mention that i love to collect Kontakt libraries.

Cib,
    As the recording engineer once said to Jimi Hendrix- thanks for the feedback! ;)
    And thanks for the heads up about Arturia’s new software synth. Looks like a wavetable one, based on what I could find. I would try Falcon, but my computer can’t handle VSTs without multicore support. But like Halion, it’s a whole world in itself.

• @InfoCheck said:
    Scythe Synth has a nice wavetable editor IAP, unfortunately the app is not AUv3 and you can’t export the wavetables to other apps. You can import audio files, edit them in the wavetable editor, then use them as oscillators in Scythe. I would love for the Sycthe Synth developer to release the wavetable editor as a standalone app so you could export wavetables to other apps which use wavetables like VirSyn, PPG apps, GrooveRider, and SynthMaster One.

PPG WaveGenerator allows you to import images, resize them, and convert them into wavetables. VirSyn Poseidon synth allows you to import audio, trim it, and convert it into a wavetable. Unfortunately PPG only provides a way to share them between PPG apps and Poseidon doesn’t provide a way to export the wavetable to other apps either.

KEW doesn’t have any wavetable Import, only IAP.

Would definitely like to see a developer fill this gap for DIY wavetable creation.

On a side note, the St Just in Roseland Organ app uses wavetables to model a specific church organ rather than using a load of samples so the app is only 19.5 MB rather than GBs in size and can even run on iOS 9.2 on an iPad 2.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, there is a need for wavetable editors in iOS. Scythe’s editor sounds interesting. Have the app, but have not been overly impressed with the general lo-fi sound of the oscillators. Could be wax in my ears, though. That’s compared to PPG, Nave, and Serum, so maybe that’s not fair. Like the features and 3D view of the WTs however, and it’s fun to use. One would think SynthMaster or Korg’s Wavetable would get some kind of editor eventually.