Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 official thread

Comments

• edited December 2018

@Monoboy said:
    Is it possible to add audio tracks into the timeline? Apologise if this has been mentioned already.

My turn!

It will be an IAP released around June I believe.

• @AudioGus said:

@Monoboy said:
    Is it possible to add audio tracks into the timeline? Apologise if this has been mentioned already.

My turn!

• @Slam_Cut said:

@iansainsbury said:
    Hope to see some of you over at the new NS2 forum when it launches.

That is my normal internet home. I usually just lurk here to get the scoop on new apps.

I’m pianoyan over there. Might use my real name in the new forum.

• @Cib said:
    This GUI just looks very sleek. I´m also already a big fan of the color cheme.
    Now i want to know more about Obsidian. I hope an extended video to showcase the different synthesis types is not far away....so i can start to think about what i will do with it in 3-4 months :)
    We need Dan Worrall on NS2.

Working on it as we speak. Will put up a bunch of instructionals. Hopefully an overview of Obsidian will show up today. Will let you know!

• edited December 2018

@StevePAL said:
    Working on it as we speak. Will put up a bunch of instructionals. Hopefully an overview of Obsidian will show up today. Will let you know!

:+1: :+1: :+1:

• @iansainsbury said:

@Slam_Cut said:

@iansainsbury said:

That is my normal internet home. I usually just lurk here to get the scoop on new apps.

I’m pianoyan over there. Might use my real name in the new forum.

I remember that name. It is a bit confusing to figure out who's who on the various forums. I'll be changing my lame name to something better for the new forum.

• @StevePAL said:

@Cib said:
    This GUI just looks very sleek. I´m also already a big fan of the color cheme.
    Now i want to know more about Obsidian. I hope an extended video to showcase the different synthesis types is not far away....so i can start to think about what i will do with it in 3-4 months :)
    We need Dan Worrall on NS2.

AWESOME!! You go Steve!! Whoohooo!

• @AudioGus said:

@Monoboy said:

My turn!

:D :D
    Made me giggle

• edited December 2018

Just preordered. I need some very clean UI midi studio in my workflow. Other daws are good but a bit outdated display wise compared to what we can expect on a gen 3 ipad pro.

• edited December 2018

@StevePAL In case you will show use case of unison, eventually mention Rand > Osc Phase modulation, it makes huge difference in unison character

• @dendy said:
    @StevePAL In case you will shoot something about unison, eventually mention Rand > Osc Phase modulation, it makes huge difference in unison character

So analog drift....nice.

• edited December 2018

More like free runing oscillators :). By defaul oscillators are phase synced, if you want free running, you use rand modulation on phase... rand mod means basically random value for every new voice

my personal invention :smiley: , was first one (including matt) who got idea to use rand mod source this way :)))

• I'm looking at this, as I recall that the original NanoStudio was as popular for its on-board synth and sampling capabilities. But I also remember that it was basically a groove box that either had little or no ability to deal with external audio (been awhile), so it was sort of in the same boat as something like Gadget...an "almost DAW".

But I basically tuned out of the news on this because it seemed like a "Chinese Democracy" kind of thing, and then suddenly it's here.

As I read up, however, still no audio tracks on release? ....Why? As much as I'd love to purchase this as a new toy and to support the creative efforts of the developer, I refuse to call something a DAW if the only way it can work with external gear is by importing .wav files. Yes, I understand there are hundreds, maybe thousands of great iOS apps, all of which could cover every sound imaginable from my decidedly budget-to-mid-range gear (Minilogue, DrumBrute Impact, Volcas, Pocket Operators, MicroBrute, etc.). But that isn't the point. If you play guitar, or you like using music hardware of any kind, a groovebox/sequencer - no matter how good the sounds and no matter how intuitive the workflow - is not going to be your final destination. I'd still end up at Cubasis, MTS, or Auria Pro.

Also, I understand that they are going to add audio tracks as an IAP later on, but I struggle to think of a good example of when "audio track as a bonus feature" ever turned out as good as hoped. Not the case with Gadget - the interface is too convoluted, and they were so far down the hole of triggering everything with preset bar-length patterns that the audio tracks in that worked fine for adding loops or repetitive patterns, but would not work where long, improvised stretches of audio would be the focal point of a track.

It's an exciting release that will make a lot of people happy, but I need to further assess what it is and what it does before spending on it.

• edited December 2018

@StormJH1
    audio tracks

they’re sheduled for summer 2019... matt already needed to release it (and people asked for it a lot) .. there is already some preparation for audio tracks inside code, so definitely its one of most important milestones for next year... difference ween ns1 and ns2 is that with ns2 audio tracks (and many other features which will one day come) were part of plan from very beginning of app developement, so app is ready for such improvement. Which was not the case with NS1

Just be patient ;) And enjoy enormous amount of greatness which is in NS2 now :)

tw NS2 is not called “DAW” in appstore description but “music production enviroment” ... and for niw, for sampling hw synths you can use same workaround which worked in NS1 - sample them to Slate (next generation TRG) pads .. works perfectly, i have too some hw gear which i love and use with NS ;)

Also, I understand that they are going to add audio tracks as an IAP later on, but I struggle to think of a good example of when "audio track as a bonus feature" ever turned out as good as hoped.

Believe me, it was not easy decision, and Matt was not happy, but actualy main reason was exactly to do it as good as expected. Or better than expected ;) To get enough time to do all things properly, not in stress and time pressure, and in same quality like all other parts of application.

• edited December 2018

@dendy Any word on MPE support plans down the road? (Not a “must have” for me - already pre-ordered, but it will be a very nice bonus if and when it comes...)

• Cool beans seeing it in the wild- Awesome.
    Will iPad Pro 11 inch be supported (early) January? I hope this is not much work to bring it to life in full effect on the huge display.

Can’t wait for the patches and preset showcases. Still searching for a friggin iTunes card discount where you pay 50€ bucks and get a solid 57,50. In the store today all 50€ cards were sold. AARGGLL

• @ohwell said:
    @dendy Any word on MPE support plans down the road? (Not a “must have” for me - already pre-ordered, but it will be a very nice bonus if and when it comes...)

i remember it was mentioned by somebody in beta team but because rhere was tons more important things to do, it was moved to "somewhere in future" list.. but i'm sure if more people will ask for it, it will be given higher priority for this task.. lets see.. if there will be MPE support maybe i buy seaboard too :smiley:

• edited December 2018

Ill be buying this at some point I’m sure, cancelled my preorder cuz I just need to focus on BM3 and Elastic Drums for the time being... buying more apps is starting to F up my productivity

• edited December 2018

@ohwell said:

I second this. Would be nice to be able to save MPE as automations for instance and record them.

• @Slam_Cut said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@AudioGus said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    First impressions, really solid in performance, like slick graphical transitions and nice choice of high contrast colour schemes. Everything sounds nice, AUs work as expected. First class file management and browsing. You can’t sample in or record any audio whatsoever as of yet but maybe that will change. No background audio. No scale lock in the piano roll. No patterns or scenes. So it’s not really a groovebox sampler BeatMaker or DAW. At the moment it feels like a midi workstation with a beautiful builtin synth/sampler engine and AU host.

Surely there must be a Background Audio setting?

Sh#t just found it! Not to worry, it’s under audio settings :D

HA! I thought you typed that just as a joke! Like the Apple App Reviewer who couldn't figure out that basic function.

Maybe if the day job doesn’t work out Apple would hire @LucidMusicInc.

• edited December 2018

@dendy That makes sense. Fully agree with the much bigger priorities like audio tracks and iPhone support.

One thought: MPE support will have benefits beyond meeting the short term demand for it. (1) There’s a vacuum with daws/sequencer with mpe support on iOS, and being the best thing to fill the vacuum would be great free publicity for NS2. (2) There’s less a vacuum for synths with mpe support, but so far, the tendency is for them to be very cpu hungry. MPE support with Obsidian would have the insane advantage of great performance on older devices. (Side note: the name of the game for synths that harness the power of MPE is powerful modulation routing (and workflow). Seems to me that obsidian already comes with all it needs to ace it.. ;) )

If I’m right, (1) + (2) might put NS2 in a position to be a lasting all star in the MPE game, maybe even cross platform...

• yeah i see the potential... we just need clone Matt. At least 10x :smiley:

• @dendy

Not so secretly though.

I remember somebody gloating at the beginning of the year! ;)

• The thing is simple.

I don’t use audio tracks.
    I don’t use IAA on the DAW context
    I don’t have BM3

So for me, no brainer

• @Norbert said:
    The UI looks very intuitive and nice. I will probably get it.

@Cib said:
    So samples go to RAM. That means i need one of those €2000 iPads with 1TB and 6 GB RAM which can‘t run AUv3 as good as older devices (at least until they solve the bug).
    I try to wait for the iPhone version but G.A.S. is coming in hard right now.

Never heared that.
    So I can be lucky with my iPad Pro12.9 2017 :)

Are all of the new iPad Pro are affected, or only the 1 TB version?

• @Slam_Cut said:

@iansainsbury said:

This is wrong.
    Any and all iOS music discussion belongs into this very forum.
    Even if NS2 not (yet?) supports AB.
    Just out of principle.

:D

• @tja said:

@Norbert said:

@Cib said:
    So samples go to RAM. That means i need one of those €2000 iPads with 1TB and 6 GB RAM which can‘t run AUv3 as good as older devices (at least until they solve the bug).

Never heared that.

I have all three 12.9 iPad Pro's and I can say first hand that the 1st generation units run AUv3 best... No idea why I keep buying them. I guess I keep hoping the situation will improve..

• @osc101 said:

@tja said:

@Norbert said:

@Cib said:

Never heared that.

I have all three 12.9 iPad Pro's and I can say first hand that the 1st generation units run AUv3 best... No idea why I keep buying them. I guess I keep hoping the situation will improve..

What problems did you experience with the newer versions?
    Or do we have a topic about this already?

• @osc101 said:

@tja said:

@Norbert said:

@Cib said:

Never heared that.

If it's truly the case, some people need to be fired at Apple. I would be ashamed as an engineer if what I build is worse after each iteration.

• @osc101 said:

@tja said:

@Norbert said:

@Cib said:

Never heared that.

Does the 1st gen run them better than the 2nd gen?

This discussion has been closed.