Gen 3 iPad pro users: Have you noticed significant CPU spikes?

1356

Comments

  • @brambos said:
    Good news: I’ve heard from another well-known dev-team (who have been looking into the issue together with Apple) that the guys in Cupertino have found and fixed the issue. I suppose we’ll receive the fix in an upcoming iOS update. :)

    Hurrah!

  • @brambos great news thanks for this !

    Could you confirm that this bug also happens on iPad pro's 2nd gen ?
    I made a test by restoring a backup from an iPad pro 1st gen to a 2nd gen, the CPU without being used with all synths+effects were a bit lower, while playing, almost the same while playing, but while switching spikes and glitches happens on 2nd gen but NOT on 1st gen !!!!

    iPad pro 12'9 1st gen
    CPU on hold: 36/38%
    CPU while playing: 43/57%
    CPU while switching back to AUM: 61% , no glitches

    iPad pro 12'9 2nd gen
    CPU on hold: 31/33%
    CPU while playing: 54/66%
    CPU while switching back to AUM: 89% (!!!) glitches !

    iPad pro 10'5 2nd gen
    CPU on hold: 35/55%
    CPU while switching back to AUM: 89% and glitches...

  • This particular issue is only on the 3rd gen pros. I own the 2nd gen 12.9” and I’m certainly not experiencing the trouble that’s plaguing the new ones.

  • @brambos I can tell you I can hear the glitches and got this issue :(

    Step to reproduce:
    1.Share an heavy AUM preset between 2 iPads 1st gen to 2nd gen.
    2.Check the CPU...
    3.switch apps to AUM

  • @crony said:
    @brambos I can tell you I can hear the glitches and got this issue :(

    Step to reproduce:
    1.Share an heavy AUM preset between 2 iPads 1st gen to 2nd gen.
    2.Check the CPU...
    3.switch apps to AUM

    I believe you, but the 3rd gen issue was much more severe. You don’t even need a heavy preset. Basically any audio app could bring it to its knees..

  • @brambos said:

    @crony said:
    @brambos I can tell you I can hear the glitches and got this issue :(

    Step to reproduce:
    1.Share an heavy AUM preset between 2 iPads 1st gen to 2nd gen.
    2.Check the CPU...
    3.switch apps to AUM

    I believe you, but the 3rd gen issue was much more severe. You don’t even need a heavy preset. Basically any audio app could bring it to its knees..

    Yep. One instance of Noir was bribing these nasty cracklings... good Apple did it finally

  • So iOS 12.1.1 doesn’t state any changes pertaining to this issue but I’m gonna upgrade and check back.

  • @YZJustDatGuy said:
    So iOS 12.1.1 doesn’t state any changes pertaining to this issue but I’m gonna upgrade and check back.

    Please do.

  • @brice said:

    @YZJustDatGuy said:
    So iOS 12.1.1 doesn’t state any changes pertaining to this issue but I’m gonna upgrade and check back.

    Please do.

    Seems to be the same for me using BeatMaker 3. To be fair I never had any issues with clicks and pops if the CPU went to high. The meter in BM3 never went over 60-70% in my sessions with 5-6 AU synths going (Zeeon, Model 15, KASPAR, Quanta etc).

  • I’ve updated and it seems a lot better. Three instances of model 15, one KB-1, and a few auv3 effects, and even at 128 frames it’s idling at 40-60% cpu. No pops or crackles.

  • I'm still experiencing intense spikes after the update.

  • Same as before...

  • This is getting increasingly frustrating. The same sessions that ran fine on my 2017 iPad are bringing my new pro to it's KNEES. Let's hope 12.2 comes sooner rather than later.

  • No changes after updating :/

  • Me neither...

  • In joined iOS Beta. They Need to much Time to fix this ...

  • It might sound stupid but what if we force the iPad to use its power cores by opening heavily demanding apps,such as photo editors first,then our music production apps.

    Will that make make the iPad use its full power cores in everything to handle the tasks,or it will just keep prioritising the way it already does and im just thinking completely outside of reality?

  • @JohnEcho said:
    It might sound stupid but what if we force the iPad to use its power cores by opening heavily demanding apps,such as photo editors first,then our music production apps.

    Will that make make the iPad use its full power cores in everything to handle the tasks,or it will just keep prioritising the way it already does and im just thinking completely outside of reality?

    I’ve tried that, it doesn’t help...

  • I definitely get CPU spikes on my new Gen 3 11-inch. In Cubasis, having one AU instance of Aparillo and one AU instance of iSymphonic along with Kleverb on the iSymphonic insert caused it to spike at around 100% when striking notes on the keyboard. I do hope this get's resolved soon.

    On the brighter side, Korg Gadget seems to be working flawlessly for me. My last track which I created on my Gen 1 12.9" had to have a couple tracks frozen to prevent stuttering. When I loaded that same project on my new iPad, all tracks are running live and it seems like I can add a lot more without any issues. I am hopeful that NanoStudio 2 will work this smoothly, at least when using the built-in synth and sound packs.

  • edited December 2018

    Does it happen only with AUv3 or with any audio app?
    Edit: The post before might answered it :)

  • @Cib said:
    Does it happen only with AUv3 or with any audio app?
    Edit: The post before might answered it :)

    All audio processes are affected.

  • @brambos said:

    @Cib said:
    Does it happen only with AUv3 or with any audio app?
    Edit: The post before might answered it :)

    All audio processes are affected.

    Ouch! I was hovering with my finger to order one again (because of NS2 and some nice AUv3) but that doesn‘t sound it is solved within 2-3 weeks.
    So no hurry here.

  • @Cib said:

    @brambos said:

    @Cib said:
    Does it happen only with AUv3 or with any audio app?
    Edit: The post before might answered it :)

    All audio processes are affected.

    Ouch! I was hovering with my finger to order one again (because of NS2 and some nice AUv3) but that doesn‘t sound it is solved within 2-3 weeks.
    So no hurry here.

    Apparently it has already been solved. Last thing I heard Apple was "looking for a vehicle to release the fix".

  • @brambos said:

    @Cib said:

    @brambos said:

    @Cib said:
    Does it happen only with AUv3 or with any audio app?
    Edit: The post before might answered it :)

    All audio processes are affected.

    Ouch! I was hovering with my finger to order one again (because of NS2 and some nice AUv3) but that doesn‘t sound it is solved within 2-3 weeks.
    So no hurry here.

    Apparently it has already been solved. Last thing I heard Apple was "looking for a vehicle to release the fix".

    12.1.2 with, "minor bug fixes" please and thanks

  • Somehow @brambos NOIR is making trouble. I have some no cracklings sessions going on and as soon as I add NOIR its gets crackly. Why is that?
    Anyone else experiencing this?

  • @david_2017 said:
    Somehow @brambos NOIR is making trouble. I have some no cracklings sessions going on and as soon as I add NOIR its gets crackly. Why is that?

    As stated above: iOS. Noir itself is very CPU efficient, and shouldn't cause crackles even on old low-end devices.

  • @brambos said:

    @david_2017 said:
    Somehow @brambos NOIR is making trouble. I have some no cracklings sessions going on and as soon as I add NOIR its gets crackly. Why is that?

    As stated above: iOS. Noir itself is very CPU efficient, and shouldn't cause crackles even on old low-end devices.

    This was and is still the riddle, its completely synthbased and no samples... oh boy hopefully apple will get its shit together soon, noir is my latest favorite plugin! Thanks, mate.

  • @genshi @brambos thank you both for getting actual answers on this; I'm glad to hear that the issue is being taken seriously by Apple and apparently has been fixed.

    It is a reminder that Core Audio is a complicated thing and Apple's reputation for "it just works" involves a whole lotta' sophisticated behind the scenes development and management of resources. It does make me wonder if all audio (not just music apps) is taking more resources than necessary on the Pro 11". Even simple things like keyboard click sounds are probably affected in a small way.

  • @Hmtx said:
    @genshi @brambos thank you both for getting actual answers on this; I'm glad to hear that the issue is being taken seriously by Apple and apparently has been fixed.

    It is a reminder that Core Audio is a complicated thing and Apple's reputation for "it just works" involves a whole lotta' sophisticated behind the scenes development and management of resources. It does make me wonder if all audio (not just music apps) is taking more resources than necessary on the Pro 11". Even simple things like keyboard click sounds are probably affected in a small way.

    Nothing is taking more resources than necessary on new devices. It's the cpu core management that needs to be fixed/adjusted. I imagine apple tested audio on the new devices for typical use - audio/video playback. For these non low latency applications high efficiency cores are fine, the reason music making community noticed the issues immediately is that for low latency apps to be able to operate high performance cores have to be used. I guess 2nd gen pros should benefit from this fix as well - I think those have high efficiency-high performance cores as well oppose to older devices.

    Optimisation from app devs will probably only cover the size difference.
    Would be great though if apple would allow some hack to enable multi core request for more complex apps like daws.

Sign In or Register to comment.