Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How would I use audiobus 2 for this?

What I’m trying to is this:

Apogee Jam signal sent to Auria limiter to remove 2 dB peaks of dry guitar signal with built in limiter (if possible)
Have that signal sent to Auria FF Pro-Q2 (low cut/high cut)
Have the above signal sent to ToneStack or JamUp
Have ToneStack / JamUp signal sent to Auria FF Pro-Q2 then out to Master output.

Comments

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

You don’t need AudioBus at all for this.

• in Auria make an audio track with the Apogee Jam as the input.
    • In the channel FX turn the compressor to LIM, turn it on, and adjust accordingly
    • Load Pro-Q2 in the first FX slot
    • Load Tonestack or Jam Up in the next slot
    • Load another Pro-Q2 in the last slot
  • edited December 2018

@wim said:

• In the channel FX turn the compressor to LIM, turn it on, and adjust accordingly

🙏🏻 I am so grateful for your response. No need for subgroups then correct? Step one you mean put guitar sim in channel insert?

• Just need it to shape the sound going to tonestack and out to pa speaker

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@mino said:

@wim said:

🙏🏻 I am so grateful for your response. No need for subgroups then correct? Step one you mean put guitar sim in channel insert?

No problem, us guitarists need to stick together around all these synthesizer weenies. B)

No, step one means just make sure that the audio input coming to the track is from your apogee one. Press the Arm button and make sure that you’re getting input from the Apogee one.

Maybe the screenshot below will help. I don’t have Pro-Q2, so I’m using zMors EQ instead.

• edited December 2018

I did all that. The odd thing is that IAA ToneStack and JamUp Pro only output in stereo, the FabFilter Pro-Q2 will allow mono on a bus or mono track. Just leave all three in a stereo track/strip? The guitar interface is mono - Apogee Jam as is the output going to a PA speaker from iPad Pro (set to mono in settings)

I’m am trying to make my guitar simulators sound more realistic (as much as can be done) I still don’t know how to find the trouble spots.
    There is also three versions of ToneStack and JamUp. I don’t know which to use.
    ToneStack, ToneStack & Tonestack(inst)
    JamUp, Jamup(tracks), JamUp Pro — Only bought one version...weird.

• I couldn’t get bus 1 to output. So I did it the way you suggested the first time. Just don’t know if apogee jam (mono)—>EQ (Stereo) —>ToneStack (stereo)—>EQ (Stereo) —> out L/R? Don’t know how to keep signals mononaural and I’m getting really damn annoyed at not being able to figure it out. Maybe I should spend 30 on the EQ app and just use Audiobus.

• Oh, you didn’t mention you’re using this for output to a PA. Humm... I don’t think I’d involve Auria in a live setup. If you’re set on using Pro-Q2 and don’t want to spring for the AUv3 version, then a lower cost eq like zMors seems like plenty to me. I’d just load those up in the FX chain in AudioBus or AUM and forget Auria Pro altogether.

Or, there are EQ’s in Tonestack and JamUp Pro that could be placed before and after the amp in the FX chain right in the app.

If you want to use Auria Pro then you might want to try creating a mono audio track instead of a stereo audio track. It should all be fine that way, though I don’t have time to try it out right now.

• I can’t get my PRS solid to sound good with Behringer f1220. Muddy and makes me not want to pick it up.

• Picked up Pro-Q2 AUv3, zMors also and Audiobus 3. Those used with Tonestack at 64 buffer should be pretty lag free yes?

• If the iPad will hold up at 64 buffers without crackling, you should be fine. I manage at 128, but that’s just me.

• I wouldn't use Auria for this. There are plenty of AUv3 limiters out there to replace auria's built in limiter. Or, if you have AUM, you can use its built in limiter.

Nothing wrong with Auria's limiter; just that for a live situation, loading an entire DAWs worth of features (== ram, cpu, etc) seems fraught with peril. Keep it as simple as possible.

/synth weenie who occasionally still makes bootie calls to his guitars