Running AudioKit Synth One on a Mac? Sure... using an emulator in Xcode
I was listening to Matt Fecher's interview about AudioKit Synth One and he said anyone could install it in an emulator on their Mac. Really? I should try that:
- Download Xcode
- Create GitHub account (probably optional step needed to save projects)
- Import AudioKit/Synthone repository into Xcode on Mac
- install CocoPods
- run pod install in synthone project folder
- Select a hardware device to emulate (I went with the 12" Pro iPad)
- Hit "RUN" button
- App appears sideways in portrait mode
- Use Simulator Menu for Hardware -> Rotate Right
- Press a key on the App and the synth plays. Wow. Thanks Matt. Empowering.
MIDI IN and Bluetooth MIDI settings don't seem to work so no driving the Synth from external sources like Logic Pro X, etc. But it opens the door to maybe building an App using AudioKit's code for the really hard parts and Apples code for the GUI stuff.
Needed to watch a Youtube video to get the Xcode project details but it wasn't hard to do but I've used GitHub before so somethings were familiar if not Xcode itself.
I'll probably start with the Swift Code examples to learn how to make my own Apps.