Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nanostudio 2 update

Comments

• edited December 2018

From the sounds of it I will use ns2 and bm3 for sketching, sometimes both at the same time via link. In the end stems will likely be exported to desktop at which point bm3 will be synchronized with my desktop daw via 'good enough' midi clock playback triggering for overdubs along with modstep for additional sequencing. All just limbs.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Track lanes is the feature that’s got me most excited :)

Can you explain (in s i m p l e terms :) ) what that is please?

I may have used the wrong terms, but I mean having multiple versions of a track. Basically if it’s what I’m thinking it is, it means you can record multiple takes and choose which one to use, without having to delete the rest. I hope that’s what is meant anyway. It’s a feature that’s been on many PC / MAC DAWs

Thanks! Fingers crossed......not long now :)

• @Dendy, absolutely great effort on that answer! Super helpful.

• edited December 2018

@AudioGus said:
    From the sounds of it I will use ns2 and bm3 for sketching, sometimes both at the same time via link. In the end stems will likely be exported to desktop at which point bm3 will be synchronized with my desktop daw via 'good enough' midi clock playback triggering for overdubs along with modstep for additional sequencing. All just limbs.

Visions of the old days of behemeth workstation synths and samplers daisychained to midi sequencers!

Don't know if this counts for much but found working in NS2 brought me right back to those magic early days (yes, I know there wasn't much magic in SCSI or midi sync... the magic was in everything else!). Honestly, resurrected my love of music. May sound like shameless hype but it is in fact entirely true. Something about being able to create awesome stuff with such a simple and intuitive interface... it's something I didn't realize held me back from a lot more complicated setups (which I have, and have used a ton, but let collect dust over the years).

• What’s “Spectral synth”?

• edited December 2018

@Telstar5 said:
    What’s “Spectral synth”?

It's a unique sampling algorithm. The best way to describe it is like taking a sample feeding it through reverb and sampling reverb as a perfect loop, except it doesn't have all that reverbyness.

Maybe a bad description. Instead, think soundscapes at the press of a button, out of sampling nothing more than a dropped penny (though of course you could make use of it with any sample) ;)

• @StevePAL 'Spectral' is an option for sample looping right, like forward, reverse...? Do you know if there are any additional parameters for it other than loop start+end? Crossfade?

Also do you know if the looppoints are automatable?

Sorry for all the question, but you seem to have the inside scoop! Thanks!

• edited December 2018

@ocelot Spectral is its own unique looping option within the sampler. It creates a seamless loop by itself so it doesn't need to employ any other loop parameters (though there is an option to use the entire waveform as the basis for the loop or just the embedded loop/sustain within the sample itself... if the sound has high attack characteristics it could mean a considerable difference in sound).

The usual sample looping options are available: forward, reverse, forward and reverse, reverse and forward.

You can set the loop points easily in the sample editor or embed from an external editor into the wav file itself.

You can set the modification of the sample parameters in real time by setting a modulation to these options: Sample start, sample loop start, sample loop length, sample zone shift.

The real power in Obsidian (which, remember, includes the sampler engine but also all of the synthesis options) is it's extensive routing options. You can route an LFO to another LFO's rate to its own rate which can go to the oscillator phase, any env anchor point, filter, fx, back and forth and be modified by any macro control,etc... this is a tiny list of what you can do. It's frankly pure madness and as awesome to play with as it sounds.

My previous favorite synth used to be a little thing called "Massive" but now my goto is Obsidian because of ease of use mixed with mod capabilities (I do realize I sound like a hype man, but in fact I am just a fact man).

• @StevePAL said:
    @ocelot Spectral is its own unique looping option within the sampler. It creates a seamless loop by itself so it doesn't need to employ any other loop parameters (though there is an option to use the entire waveform as the basis for the loop or just the embedded loop/sustain within the sample itself... if the sound has high attack characteristics it could mean a considerable difference in sound).

The usual sample looping options are available: forward, reverse, forward and reverse, reverse and forward.

You can set the loop points easily in the sample editor or embed from an external editor into the wav file itself.

You can set the modification of the sample parameters in real time by setting a modulation to these options: Sample start, sample loop start, sample loop length, sample zone shift.

The real power in Obsidian (which, remember, includes the sampler engine but also all of the synthesis options) is it's extensive routing options. You can route an LFO to another LFO's rate to its own rate which can go to the oscillator phase, any env anchor point, filter, fx, back and forth and be modified by any macro control,etc... this is a tiny list of what you can do. It's frankly pure madness and as awesome to play with as it sounds.

My previous favorite synth used to be a little thing called "Massive" but now my goto is Obsidian because of ease of use mixed with mod capabilities (I do realize I sound like a hype man, but in fact I am just a fact man).

@StevePAL Holy moly that's a lot more powerful than I thought Obsidian would be!
    Thanks for all of the detailed info! Keep it coming!
    My long-time favorite synth is Camel Audio Alchemy (pre-Apple), but Obsidian sounds like it'll be a challenger. Needs a Remix pad though. B)

• Yeah @StevePAL , thanks! So you’d rather use Osedian than Massive ? Wow, that’s aying a LOT!

• @Telstar5 said:
    Yeah @StevePAL , thanks! So you’d rather use Osedian than Massive ? Wow, that’s aying a LOT!

I realize it is saying a lot. But privately I've been saying it for quite some time.

For me, it's sampling + Additive (FM) + Subtractive that brings it up to par but then + ease-of-use that takes it over the top.

I'll say this. What you heard in the demo does not scratch the surface. Which, again, although awesome in and of itself it really means little if it's obtuse and difficult to work with. Which it is not. It's a pure joy (and when it's not, like all good sequencers, there's a panic button).

• I can give you guys a bit more than what you see in the video here, as you seem inquisitive.

In this shot I've highlighted (in purple) just some of the built-in shaping options on one FM operator, of only one ocillator. Remember, you have 2 other operators in this single oscillator, and 3 more oscillators to work with in a single obsidian instrument (but why stop there, it's super efficient and with midi you can stack and control multiples, but I'm getting ahead of myself).

As you can see here, without even going into the mod connection system yet, you can shape the sound right then and there (think an env filter without even using a separate filter... on every aspect of each operator).

At the far right of the shot is the mod connections which can further control all of these parameters we set here... along with just about everything else. It's only a small portion of the list (notice it goes off the edge at the bottom) for only a single control type shown here (in this case applied to "all oscillators").

• NanoStudio 2 is a powerful music production environment for recording, synthesis, sampling, arranging, editing and mixing. It’s the successor to the original NanoStudio, an app held in high regard by musicians for many years for its usability, quality and productivity.

With six years development behind it, NanoStudio 2 builds upon the same design principles that made its predecessor so popular and then takes a quantum leap with a massive range of extra features and a new audio engine delivering truly professional sound quality. Everything is optimized for CPU efficiency, so complex projects with many instruments and effects are handled with ease.

This is a complete in-the-box solution to production, enabling you to develop your initial musical ideas right through to a final master with an intuitive workflow carefully designed to get things done.

NanoStudio 2 is a fully featured host for external Audio Unit (AUv3) instruments and audio/MIDI effects. A library of all your AU instruments and presets is maintained so they’re in one place – tagged, searchable and just as accessible as NanoStudio’s own internal instruments.

This leads to Obsidian, NanoStudio’s synth, which is definitely no afterthought. Obsidian is a 3 oscillator 16 note polyphonic instrument with 7 different synthesis methods available for each oscillator, including analogue, wavetable, FM, multi-saw and phase distortion. You’re not limited to synthesis as there’s also support for samples and multisamples, split by note or velocity. Obsidian has 18 different filter types, including resonant analogue, super clean digital, formant, comb and waveshaping. Nearly every parameter can be modulated via the synth’s 5 envelopes, 5 LFOs and 10 configurable macro controllers, and modulation connections can be assigned with just a few taps. 300 factory patches are supplied with macros set up and ready to go. It’s easy to create your own patches and there are many more professionally produced patches available as IAPs.

NanoStudio’s second internal instrument is Slate, a sample/synthesis-based performance pad which makes it easy to tap out drum beats. Slate comes with 500 quality factory samples ranging from multisampled acoustic drums with natural variation through to cutting-edge electronic percussion and effects. Its samples are arranged in 50 factory drum kits to get you started, and it’s easy to construct your own drum kits using the factory samples or your own. Slate can also be used with samples of just about anything: vocals, guitar riffs, synth pads – you name it.

For composing and arranging there are powerful fully featured editors for songs, MIDI parts, automation and samples. All editors share a clean and consistent user interface which means you’ll be up to speed with them in no time.

The sequencer supports tempo and time signature tracks (including tempo ramps) and Ableton Link.

Everything’s brought together by a mixer with unlimited tracks, arbitrary track grouping and audio/MIDI sends. Tracks can have an unlimited number of insert effects and there are 11 effects to choose from, including reverb, sidechain compressor/expander, EQ with spectrum analysis, look-ahead limiter, delay, exciter, chorus, flanger and phaser. You can add AU audio/MIDI effects to the chain and use them just like an internal effect.

There are many mixdown options available with quality settings up to 32 bit/96kHz and support for file formats including wav, aiff, ogg and M4A. You can mixdown track stems in a single operation or select just a region of the song - great for resampling.

Sharing options include the iOS Files app, Dropbox, AudioShare, iTunes File Sharing, AirDrop, email, and importing from your iTunes music library. It’s a breeze to share multiple files in a single operation as NanoStudio automatically handles zip files for you.

There’s also a built-in WebDAV server for full control and backup of your files using any desktop computer or WebDAV client.

• Christmas has come early. Exciting times.

• Hey beta testers, does this bad boy do global tuning and or have fine tune controls on the instruments?

• edited December 2018

@StevePAL said:

@Telstar5 said:
    What’s “Spectral synth”?

It's a unique sampling algorithm. The best way to describe it is like taking a sample feeding it through reverb and sampling reverb as a perfect loop, except it doesn't have all that reverbyness.

Maybe a bad description. Instead, think soundscapes at the press of a button, out of sampling nothing more than a dropped penny (though of course you could make use of it with any sample) ;)

You had me at „soundscapes“ and „sound of a dropped penny“ really excited about this too... ;)

• So is the synth alone gonna be worth the purchase? And will I be able to get it out to another DAW?

Sorry if duplicate but this is a tl:dr thread and those are two simple yes/no questions.

• edited December 2018

@StevePAL
    You can route an LFO to another LFO's rate

You can even route LFO to modulate OWN rate and amount of this modulation :) I used this trick for stopping LFO after certain amount of time so it works effectively as another envelope :-)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • "NanoStudio 2 is a fully featured host for external Audio Unit (AUv3) instruments and audio/MIDI effects. A library of all your AU instruments and presets is maintained so they’re in one place – tagged, searchable and just as accessible as NanoStudio’s own internal instruments."

If this works well it seems like a major game-changer.

• @dendy

You seem to be a clued up and helpful chap :)

Could you give us an idea of what happens when you open the app - does it automatically load the last project or let you choose from options?

I know in some ways it’s pointless asking lots of questions as we shall all have it in a few days lol, but the curious excitement is like wanting to peak at Christmas presents before the day arrives :D

• @Peter321 said:
    "NanoStudio 2 is a fully featured host for external Audio Unit (AUv3) instruments and audio/MIDI effects. A library of all your AU instruments and presets is maintained so they’re in one place – tagged, searchable and just as accessible as NanoStudio’s own internal instruments."

If this works well it seems like a major game-changer.

It does - it is.
    There are some issues with varying implementation of AUv3 by different devs. The AUv3 ‘standards’ aren’t quite nailed down across the iOS dev community yet, but so far so good.
    Being able to create patches in an AUv3 instance and save that patch to your User folder inside NS1 is super cool.

• @d4d0ug said:
    Apologies if it’s been asked before, but does the sampler do trimestretech / pitch shift?

at the moment no.

• Good morning dendy!
    I’m off to sleep now.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Fruitbat1919 said:

Could you give us an idea of what happens when you open the app - does it automatically load the last project or let you choose from options?

By default autosaved version of track is opened (for example everytime you close app it does autosave before quit)
    But in load screen, yo can choose from 3 versions when you load song manually

• last autosaved version
    • last manually saved version
    • previous manually saversion (yes, app remembers also your PREVIOUS save)
  • @Slam_Cut said:

It does - it is.
    There are some issues with varying implementation of AUv3 by different devs. The AUv3 ‘standards’ aren’t quite nailed down across the iOS dev community yet, but so far so good.
    Being able to create patches in an AUv3 instance and save that patch to your User folder inside NS1 is super cool.

Awesome, now if only all the KORG instruments I've bought where AuV3 instead of IAA I would probably jump on this, but kinda hard to leave all the investment I've made for Gadget behind :neutral: (I know I can still use Gadget, but I prefer to mainly use one tool for composing). Kinda just wanna buy this to support the dev. since Nanostudio was "my first" - but I may hold of the initial launch and get it later - does look extremely tempting though :smiley:

• edited December 2018

So @dendy and @StevePAL you guys must be bets testers? And all this time Dendy I thought you were an excited evangelist, (like me but with the facts).

This discussion has been closed.