Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nanostudio 2 update

Comments

• edited December 2018

Ok, what can this do that BM3 can’t... and what can BM3 do that this can’t... in it’s present state (on release..)..

• Can the piano roll be locked to a key or scale?

• @RajahP said:

Ok, what can this do that BM3 can’t... and what can BM3 do that this can’t... in it’s present state (on release..)..

I don’t own BM3, but I don’t believe it has a highly optimised monster synth on board.
    It does have Audio tracks though, but Nano 2 won’t until next year.
    Someone has posted the Specs on here though, so you may be able to glean some better information there.

• We should start a new thread (so we can keep it unwieldly) upon release.

• @RajahP said:

Why do you keep asking this question? You just takin’ the piss?

• @Slam_Cut said:

@RajahP said:

@RajahP can ask any question he likes. If you don’t like it you can ignore the post.

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@Slam_Cut said:

@RajahP said:

Harsh. It’s a legit question. (Though it would be very difficult to answer meaningfully.)

• edited December 2018

@RajahP said:

in nutshell, aside of overall app architecture differences and completely different workflows

(which one may like other not and i think for lot people this is one of main reasons to prefer one of these apps)

and taking in account fact, that some details are hard to compare due to the deep difference between both apps paradigms - one is very much inpired by MPC / iMaschine approach, with banks and stuff like that, everything set around banks of pads - other is classic linear sequencer

I actually don't think these two apps should be considered as competition, they are more different than it looks... Whivh us great becsuse everyone can choose the one which better fits to his workflow

but ok, if you're adking, i'll try. Anybody feel free to correct me if i wrote something wrong or some missinformation...

what BM3 can and NS2 can't

• realtime pitchshift/timestretch in sampler
    • more than 3 layers in sampler (just 3 in NS)
    • automatic slicing of loops (transient detection)
    • audio tracks
    • IAA/AB support
    • "Live" like session view

what NS2 can and BM3 can't

• build in cpu efficient but complex synth, lot of synth types (va, fm, wavetable, pd, noise shaping)
    • LFO more shapes, some pretty exotic like FM
    • more flexible filter in synh/sampler (serial, parallel), more filter types (comb filter, vocal filter)
    • unique resynthesis mode in sampler, generates new harmomic loopable content from any complex audio material.
    • dedicated midi out instrument, with macros assignable to midi CC
    • unified AUv3 plugins patch librarian
    • tempo automation
    • time signature automation
    • ability to dragndrop clips between tracks (vertically)
    • cycled clips (if enabled, dragging end of clips causes repeating its contnent)
    • realtime visual preview in wuantisation screen before it is applied
    • track lanes (multiple instances of same track)
    • multiple clips in same track (i mean stacked clips in same position, clips which are playing simultaneously)
    • intuitive nesting of tracks (group) to many levels (groups of groups of groups ... ;)
    • dragndrop to reorganize trackd in mixer/sequencer
    • unlimited sends
    • unlimited groups
    • ability to save/load track insert chains
    • midi files import/export
    • 96khz export (just 44 in bm3 ? i didn't found option for that)
  • Damn Megathread!
    There goes my day!
    :D

• @dendy said:

@RajahP said:

in nutshell, aside of overall app architecture differenced and completely different workflows which one may like other not... i think for lot people (including myself) this is one of main reasons to prefer one of these apps...

also some details are hard to compare due to the deep difference between both apps paradigms - one is very much inpired by MPC / iMaschine approach, with banks and stuff like that, everything set around banks of pads - other is classic linear sequencer

I actually don't think these two apps should be considered as competition, they are more different than it looks... Whivh us great becsuse everyone can choose the one which better fits to his workflow

but ok, if you're adking, i'll try. Anybody feel free to correct me if i wrote something wrong or some missinformation...

• audio tracks
    • IAA/AB support

• ability to save/load track insert chains - this is pretty much possible by using the bank saves.
  • edited December 2018

@Fruitbat1919

That is not same thing, by saving bank you save also all stuff inside it, not just fxs, but also all assigned instruments inside bank, etc.. that is too complex thing, i'm speaking just about FX chain, like in traditioan desktop daws, where you can save for examle EQ>Ovedrive>EQ>Compressor chain and then you can add it to any other track without affecting rest of stuff on that track (existing inserts, instrument, send rountings, etc..)

• Since we are playing...

@dendy said:

Praise.

Not just slicing of 'loops' but big assed sound files of several minutes long. Also, you can select non destructive ranges and are not forced to crop. The ability to use samples as 'faux audio clips' is quite powerful and I think will have the advantage over NS2 .

• audio tracks

Super minimal though... hopefuly NS2 charging IAP for this will mean a much better feature set. Track freezing should come in NS2 at that point (just learned this, care of this very mega-thread) which BM3 does not have.

• more flexible filter in synh/sampler (serial, parallel), more filter types (comb filter, vocal filter)

Very very sexy.

• tempo automation

Huge plus.

Big love.

• multiple clips in same track (i mean stacked clips in same position, clips which are playing simultaneously)

I can do this in BM3 on the timeline, if I understand your meaning.

More big love.

• @AudioGus

i mean this

• @dendy said:
    @Fruitbat1919

Noy same thing, by saving bank younsave also all sruff inside it, all assigned instruments, etc.. too complex thing, i'm speaking just about FX chain, like in traditioan desktop daws, where you save for examle EQ>Ovedrive>EQ>Compressor chain and then you can add it to any other thrack without affecting rest of stuff on that track (existing inserts, instrument, send rountings, etc..)

Yep that reminds me of the racks I used to make in a PC DAW years ago. Nice feature to see, just hope it doesn’t lead some to bad habits lol. It becomes a bit easy to be lazy a bung on an fx app that you’ve made instead of working the fx more individually for the sound at hand. Obviously this is down to the person and I am in no way saying this is a bad feature because some may use it inappropriately.

I think this app will be just another great choice. I for one, will add it to my selection and can see many loving this one.

I would suggest to the original question though that looking at a list of features will never really explain the subtleties of each app, so as @dendy said, the workflow fit will be the reason most of us choose to use one more than the other.

@RajahP if you already have BM3, I would bet you probably will try out NS2 anyway :D

• I’m excited about obsidian synth! Looks great! Super clean! Looks like one of the libraries is acoustic instrument library...niiiice. Will definitely be getting this!

• @dendy said:

@AudioGus

i mean this

Oh wow, cool cool. 8)

• Can someone explain the how NanoStudio and Stagelight compare. I'm getting more and more excited by the possibilties of Stagelight. If NS is a sort of Stagelight on steroids that would be interesting to me.

• @mannix said:
    Can someone explain the how NanoStudio and Stagelight compare. I'm getting more and more excited by the possibilties of Stagelight. If NS is a sort of Stagelight on steroids that would be interesting to me.

StageLight is worth having just for making quick drum tracks on IMO

• Can NS lock to a key/scale in the piano roll?

• —-> @Eclipxe said:

Can NS lock to a key/scale in the piano roll?

I’d love this too.

• edited December 2018

@dendy said:

@RajahP said:

in nutshell, aside of overall app architecture differences and completely different workflows

(which one may like other not and i think for lot people this is one of main reasons to prefer one of these apps)

and taking in account fact, that some details are hard to compare due to the deep difference between both apps paradigms - one is very much inpired by MPC / iMaschine approach, with banks and stuff like that, everything set around banks of pads - other is classic linear sequencer

• audio tracks
    • IAA/AB support

• build in cpu efficient but complex synth, lot of synth types (va, fm, wavetable, pd, noise shaping)
    • unique resynthesis mode in sampler, generates new harmomic loopable content from any complex audio material.
    • dedicated midi out instrument, with macros assignable to midi CC
    • unified AUv3 plugins patch librarian
    • tempo automation
    • ability to dragndrop clips between tracks (vertically)
    • cycled clips (if enabled, dragging end of clips causes repeating its contnent)
    • realtime visual preview in wuantisation screen before it is applied
    • intuitive nesting of tracks (group) to many levels (groups of groups of groups ... ;)
    • unlimited sends
    • unlimited groups
    • midi files import/export
    • 96khz export (just 44 in bm3 ? i didn't found option for that)

Thanks Dendy.. I know I will get it.. As I got Cubasis, Auria Pro and seldom use them..
    was hoping for a clip launcher.. but let’s see how it plays..

Thanks..

Edit.. what about MIDI import and Export?

• @AtticusL said:
    —-> @Eclipxe said:

Can NS lock to a key/scale in the piano roll?

I’d love this too.

The Gadget implementation is the best on iOS - the piano roll scale fold, with robust chord, scale, and arp on all synths = amazing.

• @RajahP
    it.. what about MIDI import and Export?

almost last item on my list above ;)

• @dendy said:

@RajahP
    it.. what about MIDI import and Export?

almost last item on my list above ;)

Got it.. well it’s mine ..

• Track lanes is the feature that’s got me most excited :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Track lanes is the feature that’s got me most excited :)

Can you explain (in s i m p l e terms :) ) what that is please?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Track lanes is the feature that’s got me most excited :)

Can you explain (in s i m p l e terms :) ) what that is please?

I may have used the wrong terms, but I mean having multiple versions of a track. Basically if it’s what I’m thinking it is, it means you can record multiple takes and choose which one to use, without having to delete the rest. I hope that’s what is meant anyway. It’s a feature that’s been on many PC / MAC DAWs

• Yay.. Looks like app is all set for release !!!

• edited December 2018

@[Deleted User] said:

@Slam_Cut said:

@RajahP said:

@RajahP can ask any question he likes. If you don’t like it you can ignore the post.

@wim said:

@Slam_Cut said:

@RajahP said:

Harsh. It’s a legit question. (Though it would be very difficult to answer meaningfully.)

Yes, he can, and asked before on this thread. I don’t know if he read the rezulting discussion - didn’t aknowledge and continue with a follow up question. He just asked same question again. I also am free to ask questions, and did. Just trying to get at his point: stir the pot or get real info. Fortunately there is another poster with lots of info on BM2/3 that was willing to spend a lot of time breaking it down for him. Anyone can go to the AppStore and list out the features of BM2/3 and compare to the feature list of NS2 (either on this thread or the other one), but dendy went above and beyond. Excellent.

My question of him was fair. He didn’t take offense to it - I didn’t intend any. Dendy was gracious enough to offer him a lot of insight. We all good then? That question is done?
    Will we all go over to BM2/3 threads and ask the reverse of those fans? Let’s not. A little bit of politeness goes a long way.

I know someone is really gonna take the piss now by asking more comparison questions. I’m laughing already.

• I don't care about sports or tribalism. the only reason I ask questions about features is to visualize which app I will use when and where.

This discussion has been closed.