Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Linear eq .... Is it possible

I have bm3, cubasis and various other apps and I have an audio file of a synth I recorded in AUM.
I love the audio in it, it sounds great... But there are parts where the high end of that arp are just too high that they destroy my ears lol....
I don't want to eq the whole sample, just wanna scoop in at certain points and cut the high end...
Is this possible on iOS or do I need to take it to Ableton...

Comments

• I’m not entirely sure, but I guess either Cubasis or Auria have plugin parameter automation, so there’s that...

By “linear”, I assume you mean linear phase? Not sure there if we’ve got linear phase EQs on iOS...

• @SevenSystems said:
    I’m not entirely sure, but I guess either Cubasis or Auria have plugin parameter automation, so there’s that...

By “linear”, I assume you mean linear phase? Not sure there if we’ve got linear phase EQs on iOS...

FabFilter Pro-Q 2...

• @SevenSystems said:
    I’m not entirely sure, but I guess either Cubasis or Auria have plugin parameter automation, so there’s that...

Ya I was thinking recording the automation might be the only way but was hoping for a more surgical approach and just drawing in some cuts on a sample laid out linear like in the picture... But maybe it's the only way

• ApeFilter should do this.

• @Samu said:

@SevenSystems said:

FabFilter Pro-Q 2...

Hmmm!!!!! So I can drop a sample in with it and get surgical??

• @JudgeDredd said:
    ApeFilter should do this.

Never thought about that but I dig just get the ol ape !

• @JudgeDredd said:

How do you get to that, sample player lol

• @reasOne said:

For that you'd need to do some heavy automation though...

With Pro-Q 2 you can easily during playback 'grab the spectrum' for adjustment and if W is enabled in Cubasis while the track is playing all the edits will be automated on playback.

All in all it's feels more like that what you're after is EQ automation and that is something most host can do.

• It sounds to me like a multiband compressor would be closer to what you are looking for: that way you only attenuate the problem frequencies when they get loud (just set the threshold appropriately).

• @reasOne said:

@JudgeDredd said:

I am not sure I understand the question. Just open your DAW of choice, load apeFilter as an AU or IAA cut the number of filters down to one the move the filter to the desired frequency, raise the Q to narrow the band, and adjust the gain as desired.

• @richardyot said:
    It sounds to me like a multiband compressor would be closer to what you are looking for: that way you only attenuate the problem frequencies when they get loud (just set the threshold appropriately).

Spot on.

As others mentioned, you can use automation on EQ but you might find that sudden drastic EQ shifts might stand out themselves.

• edited December 2018

@reasOne said:

@SevenSystems said:

Ya I was thinking recording the automation might be the only way but was hoping for a more surgical approach and just drawing in some cuts on a sample laid out linear like in the picture... But maybe it's the only way

What you see in the picture is level, not frequency. There’s no way I know of to just draw a frequency cut in a time based graph. You need to use something like Pro-Q2 with automation or a multiband compressor finely tuned.

• This has nothing to do with linear EQ either btw. Another vote for ProQ though, probably the best EQ option on iOS at the moment.

• A good EQ will solve the problem. ApeFilter is an EQ I can really understand and it's also:

1. an amazing Filter Effect, Delay, Reverb, Compressor-Expander
    2. a FX with LFO's to make the sound morph
    3. a sample manager (yes... there's a sampler in there to record)

So, many of these new FX tools are like Swiss Army knives and some of them have excellent sound engineering to improve a track and not just removing bits or add types of noise.

Play with ApeFilter on your favorite Piano Preset and you might find improvements to the tone. The RC275 Piano through the ApeFilter can make impressive improvements beyond just the RC's EQ/Reverb Controls.

I'm sure Pro Q2 performs similar magic for sound. I just have the $10 rule for Apps that I try not to break as a control on my impulsivity. The stuff I really want costs more and anything less than $10 I already have (generally). If Pro Q2 was 50% off like Korg's stuff was I'd be all over it because the $10 rule applies to discounts as well.

• @JudgeDredd said:

@reasOne said:

@JudgeDredd said:

I am not sure I understand the question. Just open your DAW of choice, load apeFilter as an AU or IAA cut the number of filters down to one the move the filter to the desired frequency, raise the Q to narrow the band, and adjust the gain as desired.

Ok I thought that was ape matrix, I do not have ape filter that's why I was confused, I was trying to find that within the matrix lol

• @Samu said:

@reasOne said:

With Pro-Q 2 you can easily during playback 'grab the spectrum' for adjustment and if W is enabled in Cubasis while the track is playing all the edits will be automated on playback.

All in all it's feels more like that what you're after is EQ automation and that is something most host can do.

Ya I think automation maybe the way to do it but was hoping to be more precise, but maybe it's not possible to do it the way I see it in my head lol

• multi band compression is too smart for me 😂😂😂
    I have aufx peak I think it's called, but I opened it and was lost

• @McDtracy that sounds pretty good, ape filter seems to get a lot of love, and yes I'm having a hard time paying 30 for fab filter because I'm not that good at eqing , I know it's worth the price, but I probably wouldn't get my money's worth cuz I'm not skilled....I mean I can do equing, but that seems like a pro tool and I'm just a dude that likes to press keys 😂😂
    maybe the 6$ for fab is all I need at my level

• haha see, grab the spectrum, I'm already lost hehehe ! I wish I wasn't but I am 😂 I might pay for mastering and mixing for my album cuz I just spend the little time I have jamming and never really spent time learning all these tools....

@Samu said:

@reasOne said:

• @reasOne said:

@Samu said:

@reasOne said:

Ya I think automation maybe the way to do it but was hoping to be more precise, but maybe it's not possible to do it the way I see it in my head lol

What do you mean by more precise than automation. I haven't done automation in Cubasis, but in Auria Pro, you can manually set up very precise automation.

• @espiegel123 said:

What do you mean by more precise than automation. I haven't done automation in Cubasis, but in Auria Pro, you can manually set up very precise automation.

That is what I mean, ie. adjusting the various plug-in settings for different sections/locations of the file.

In the OP's example there was some annoying high-frequency content they wanted to get rid of so in that case it would be roughly adding a narrow band-pass filter to cover the annoying frequencies and then automate the gain of the chosen frequency band. Or maybe even run it thru a multi-band compressor.

If/when the Pro-Q 3 drops for iOS it will be able to dynamic EQ which could ease the process a bit.

• I personally think an EQ would be all that's needed to fix this the easiest way possible, not sure I'd recommend someone new to production that they use a multi-band compressor myself. Much easier to mess up things you're not trying to fix by mistake.

Either way, looks fairly simple so I'm sure the OP will be able to sort it out :)

• If you're interested, I'm not sure, but GotoEQ might be what you need. The middle two filters are dynamic EQs, not static ones. And in BM3, you can have as many as you need in a channel (depending on what your device can handle). Could be the fix you're looking for.

Also, once Fabfilter gets their duckies in a row, the Pro-Q3 AU will also have dynamic EQing. Pretty sweet.

(In case you wonder, Dynamic EQing is sort of like multiband compressing in a way, but instead of defining sections to be compressed, you use it like a regular EQ instead. This should help explain....

)

• I appreciate everyone's help here ! I wish I knew what eq to get haha they all look so good ! Fab filter makes great stuffs, that go to eq looks amazing... And I have a couple others that I use for mixing like zmors and siq,...
    If anyone wants to hear the file and maybe fix it I would be forever thankful or maybe even show me how you did it via screen capture....
    I'm still not sure, I've tried to do it with peak q cuz I have it but not much success without killing all the high end

• Dynamic eq will do as described a few posts above, where you operate like an eq but there's a compressor aspect in there too so it's only eq'ing when thiae frequencies go over the threshold you set.

I'm wondering if youre asking about spectral editing, where you see a picture of the frequency plot and you can edit by frequency rather than the waveform (which is volume and time). Look up izotope rx to see what that is and if it is what you mean. Nothing on ios that does that as far as I know (although I think I saw spectral something or other mentioned in the nanostudio thread). On the computer you'd be looking at izotope rx mainly, but I also know reaper has spectral editing as well. They're may be other programs too.

• the original question

... But there are parts where the high end of that arp are just too high that they destroy my ears lol.... I don't want to eq the whole sample, just wanna scoop in at certain points and cut the high end...

reads as if the problem starts with certain notes (exceeding a certain range) played - so EQ engagement might be based on note value. No idea how to translate that atm.

• @Telefunky said:
    the original question

... But there are parts where the high end of that arp are just too high that they destroy my ears lol.... > I don't want to eq the whole sample, just wanna scoop in at certain points and cut the high end...

reads as if the problem starts with certain notes (exceeding a certain range) played - so EQ engagement might be based on note value. No idea how to translate that atm.

Me either haha I need a pro to handle the audio for me I've given up, just gonna have to scratch the track and try again