Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How Does One Import Midi Keyboard Sounds to an iPad?

2»

Comments

• Yes that’s right @McDtracy. I’m assuming @LinearLineman already has a way to connect his MP11 to monitors or is using headphones. Also the square end of the USB cable should be connected to the audio interface, not to the digital piano (as is shown in the picture).

• Thanks, @onkey, but if the USB goes to the AI, how is the keyboard connected to the AI?

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks, @onkey, but if the USB goes to the AI, how is the keyboard connected to the AI?

It's a feature of the UR22mkII (and other MIDI capable audio interfaces like the Presonus or Scarlett, etc):

It takes the MIDI in/out traffic from the 5-pin DIN cables and sends it over the single USB cable to the iPad. Cool huh? Then the MIDI events from the Ipad Apps can reverse the path over USB to UR22mkII and out 5-PIN DIN's to the Kawaii MIDI IN.

So, Apps can play the presets on your Kawaii too. Maybe the Kawaii can playback a bass track while you record and piano over it. Any audio recording would capture both instruments however.

• Thanks, @McDtracy, I think I am getting the picture.

• edited December 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    Thanks, @McDtracy, I think I am getting the picture.

You can also hook up a microphone and record a singer by unhooking one channel of the Kawaii to free an audio IN port
    on the UR22mkII.

This discussion becomes useful for someone following along or re-visiting the thread later. We can ask the new questioner to look for this thread and post any more questions to it.

This advice relates to anyone seeking to record external equipment with their iPad like hardware synths, drum machines and not use the internal mic or headphone jack to do it and get noise added.

• @McDtracy said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Thanks, @onkey, but if the USB goes to the AI, how is the keyboard connected to the AI?

It's a feature of the UR22mkII (and other MIDI capable audio interfaces like the Presonus or Scarlett, etc):

It takes the MIDI in/out traffic from the 5-pin DIN cables and sends it over the single USB cable to the iPad. Cool huh? Then the MIDI events from the Ipad Apps can reverse the path over USB to UR22mkII and out 5-PIN DIN's to the Kawaii MIDI IN.

So, Apps can play the presets on your Kawaii too. Maybe the Kawaii can playback a bass track while you record and piano over it. Any audio recording would capture both instruments however.

Nicely put!

• @McDtracy said:

@LinearLineman said:

This is a message I can approve :)
    What I originally tried to explain @LinearLineman, but it was the wrong time of day for me 😆