Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nanostudio 2 update

Comments

• A Klee painting named Angelus Novus shows an angel looking as though he is about to move away from something he is fixedly contemplating. His eyes are staring, his mouth is open, his wings are spread. This is how one pictures the angel of history. His face is turned toward the past. Where we perceive a chain of events, he sees one single catastrophe which keeps piling wreckage upon wreckage and hurls it in front of his feet. The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them. The storm irresistibly propels him into the future to which his back is turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. This storm is what we call progress.
    -Walter Benjamin
    (Ninth thesis in the essay “Theses on the Philosophy of History”)

• edited December 2018

@peanut_gallery
    If they are at least on par with what was in NS1, then they will be among the most intuitive and easy to use in the iOS environment.

You are speakimng about drag handles ? Yeah, unbeated way of precise moving of clips pr notes inside clip or automation points... Unbeated. With turned off quantisation and correct zoom ultra precise

• @AudioGus said:
    I first tried over a year ago.

Seems odd. I remember an occasional new forum member during that time. Nonetheless you haven’t missed much since there are some AB regulars who do a thorough job of quoting Matt’s update posts here. The past year has really been just that on the NS forum.

• @Slam_Cut said:

@AudioGus said:

Seems odd. I remember an occasional new forum member during that time. Nonetheless you haven’t missed much since there are some AB regulars who do a thorough job of quoting Matt’s update posts here. The past year has really been just that on the NS forum.

Could be that the first email I tried, being on a low rent ma/pa server, spooked the registration bot as looking too suspicious.

• About the "feature requests" and such...

I just did never expect NS2 to drop things that already existed in NS1!
    Removing stuff is just a bad idea.

I can wait for the iPhone version.
    I can wait for Audio Tracks.

But I am not happy with the drop of IAA support.

That's just too much "future" for me.
    I have so much beloved IAA Apps.

And just cannot and don't want to wait for AudioBus support.
    This is essential for me.
    Without it, NS2 will be just one of those do-it-all-boxes, I fear.
    Time will tell.

• @AudioGus said:

@Slam_Cut said:

@AudioGus said:

Could be that the first email I tried, being on a low rent ma/pa server, spooked the registration bot as looking too suspicious.

I also tried several time - to no avail.

• @purpan2 said:

@echoopera said:

“And on that day the world changed...”

Does this mean the dev will be chained to a rock for eternity with an eagle eating his liver? It seems a little harsh.

dev creation = our fire
    Prometheus chained to rock = dev
    liver eating eagle = user comments requests

seems about right.
    ;P

Just remember that Prometheus was 'eventually' freed, unlike Sisyphus.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    A Klee painting named Angelus Novus shows an angel looking as though he is about to move away from something he is fixedly contemplating. His eyes are staring, his mouth is open, his wings are spread. This is how one pictures the angel of history. His face is turned toward the past. Where we perceive a chain of events, he sees one single catastrophe which keeps piling wreckage upon wreckage and hurls it in front of his feet. The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them. The storm irresistibly propels him into the future to which his back is turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. This storm is what we call progress.
    -Walter Benjamin

NICE
    (analogy wise -- bonus points for Benjamin. You musta went to the schoolz)

• @audiblevideo said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    A Klee painting named Angelus Novus shows an angel looking as though he is about to move away from something he is fixedly contemplating. His eyes are staring, his mouth is open, his wings are spread. This is how one pictures the angel of history. His face is turned toward the past. Where we perceive a chain of events, he sees one single catastrophe which keeps piling wreckage upon wreckage and hurls it in front of his feet. The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them. The storm irresistibly propels him into the future to which his back is turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. This storm is what we call progress.
    -Walter Benjamin

NICE

Thank you. I did read books and Mister Benjamin also, but was nudged in this case by the excellent Ms. Anderson. This piece has been in my Top Ten since first hearing and will still be there when dead etc.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@audiblevideo said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    -Walter Benjamin

NICE

Thank you. I did read books and Mister Benjamin also, but was nudged in this case by the excellent Ms. Anderson. This piece has been in my Top Ten since first hearing and will still be there when dead etc.

Love me the Laurie A. Visionary since the 80's, possibly greater than any IMHOP.

• Blip said...

Yes, always when I go quiet it means I'm getting stuff done. Or frustrated at trying to get stuff done and having nothing good to report!

News is that I submitted it but it was rejected. I was half expecting this on first go anyway, given it's a fairly complex app with a lot of integration features.

However, it's there's a good chance it's a misunderstanding which won't need a code change, just some extra instruction on how to change some of the app's settings to test the behaviour they need. So I've supplied the extra instructions and I'm waiting to hear back. Turnaround seemed fairly fast - about 36 hours, so hopefully the next iteration will be faster than that.

I have no idea if that'll be the only issue, or if they stop testing when something fails and then I'll get to another hurdle. All part of the roller-coaster ride ...

Hopefully the shitheads at Apple stop blocking the app release already. 🙄

• @tja said:
    About the "feature requests" and such...

I just did never expect NS2 to drop things that already existed in NS1!

I seem to remember it a bit differently. iOS 9 broke AB for NanoStudio. IAA came out after the decision to start over on a new app. Or at least it took a while for apps to support it and IAA became a big feature for iOS musicians. Like I said, not totally sure on the time-line, but regardless. Apple screwed NS with iOS 9 so why would Matt trust Apple's IAA? Would they just change that constantly to make extra headaches for Matt?
    You can't just keep slapping code onto an app without causing problems, and the 32/64 bit thing was looming. So... it doesn't seem like there was a lot of reason to natively support IAA.

That's just too much "future" for me.
    I have so much beloved IAA Apps.

I have a lot of IAA/AB apps as well and I will continue to use them. NS2 doesn't need to natively support those standards in order for me to get those apps into my workflow. Importing from AudioShare and Dropbox handle things for my workflow. I see it as the future is now, and I'm not losing anything. I still use Alchemy. There's another example of Apple screwing iOS musicians, and something to complain about in another thread.
    :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic I'm sure it's just a minor blip. Not a Blip Major. I know... groan...

• @Slam_Cut said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic I'm sure it's just a minor blip. Not a Blip Major. I know... groan...

🙄 :lol:

• I don’t use iaa at all. I always felt it was shaky and unstable to be setting up for serious work. This is strictly not a fact for all people, it is only my opinion about iaa not fitting in my workflow. Audiobus and auv3 gets me where I need to go just fine, if other means work for others I’m super happy they do! The most important thing to me is the music. I work with 4 platforms...listed in order of importance to me... iMac LPX, Akai MPClive, iPad pro12 gen 1 (where do I even start...I use a lot), and finally IMac Reason 10. They all have their strengths and yes they all have their weaknesses. Sometimes a weakness is a strength though, also the opposite as well.

I will be buying ns2, I liked ns1, I don’t feel like ns2 or bm3 are the same tool at all. I’m not lacking space on my device nor the little dab of money to support great developers and their projects which in turn brings me happiness, exploration, and frankly mucho sanity at times. So my hat is off to all of you developers who, for almost no money at all, bring all of us very capable playgrounds of musical and artistic capabilities that I would sold my nuts for 20 years ago!

The solution to this has always been here all along ...if you don’t find interest in something, don’t buy it. More for me.

• edited December 2018

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Blip said...

Yes, always when I go quiet it means I'm getting stuff done. Or frustrated at trying to get stuff done and having nothing good to report!

News is that I submitted it but it was rejected. I was half expecting this on first go anyway, given it's a fairly complex app with a lot of integration features.

However, it's there's a good chance it's a misunderstanding which won't need a code change, just some extra instruction on how to change some of the app's settings to test the behaviour they need. So I've supplied the extra instructions and I'm waiting to hear back. Turnaround seemed fairly fast - about 36 hours, so hopefully the next iteration will be faster than that.

I have no idea if that'll be the only issue, or if they stop testing when something fails and then I'll get to another hurdle. All part of the roller-coaster ride ...

Thanks for the update.

• @kinkujin said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Blip said...

Thanks for the update.

Absolutely. Now that I stopped using Gadget (different thread), I am waiting for Nanostudio 2 to replace it as my main creation environment.

• I really dig Gadget and am a big Korg fan. But I’m afraid when NS2 lands everything else will center around it.

• @kinkujin said:
    I really dig Gadget and am a big Korg fan. But I’m afraid when NS2 lands everything else will center around it.

I wonder if you purchased everything Gadget-related including IAPs, Gadget-compatible apps, and all IAPs within those, like I did. I was a major fanboy Gadgethead until this yesterday. https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/29984/korg-module-updated-premier-vintage-organ-has-been-discontinued#latest So as to not derail this thread, do read that one to see why I stopped using Gadget.

• edited December 2018

@tja said:

i understand ... removing too much for me crucial features caused that BM3 is for me literally unusable, althought i did lot tracks in BM2, 3 is no go, total showstopper

Holding fingers crossed that other awesome features will for you overcome missing IAA/AB support !

Just out of curiosity... what's your common workflow wih IAA ? I used to work with IAA a lot in BM2, and my workflow was alway

• load synth
    • create some melody
    • record it to audio track or to sampler
    • unload IAA

because in my experience IAA is totaly broken unreliable unstsble protocol, holding more IAA realtime within project always ended for me by some crash..

Worflow like this is not complete no go even if NS2 doesn't support IAA directly. You can still

• run synth from within AudioShare
    • send midi notes / cc events from NS2 to synth, record audio
    • use "open in nanostudio" or export and save audio directly to any NS2 subfolder you want (because both apps are supporting apple Files, you can directly access whole NS2 files structure from AudioShare ;)
    • load audio to sampler

yes, it's one step more but its functional workaround, if you really need sounds from some app, it can be done.

• @MrSmileZ
    ns2 or bm3 are the same tool at all

very good point !! Very different apps targeted for very different group of users.. Althought they share some similiarities, still in many areas not competition at all... Which is good for both users and developers :-)

• tjatja
    edited December 2018

@dendy I rarely render to audio, I mostly stay in MIDI and load different Synths to produce sound that I can then compare and mange and try different things in both MIDI and the Synths itself.
    With this, I don't care if a Synth is IAA or AU and I cannot say that I have problems with IAA.

I often even revert from AU to IAA, if possible as the interface is much better in many cases and also there are fewer problems with the sound. For example with Ravenscroft and BeatHawk.

So, for my work low this means that I cannot use IAA at all, unless I am really ready to render to audio - which I normally not do. So, very bad for me.

I need to finally buy a used iPad Mini 4 with iOS 10...
    Until then, I will try to use NS2 with IAA Synths over MIDI.

• edited December 2018

New info about approval process. Looks Apple employs really "competent" people :smiley:

http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/11997?page=2#comment-35497

You're not far off. It's been rejected because it claims it supports background audio, yet the audio stops when the app is put to the background. This is because it's a setting in the app which is defaulted to off to reduce battery consumption unless the user needs it.

Many music apps behave in the same manner (eg. Apple's own GarageBand). I've sent a reply to say what they need to do and made an appeal against the rejection but it now seems to be stuck in limbo and I have heard horror stories of appeals taking a month or longer.

I do have a contact at Apple. I'll let it take its natural course for another day but if it's still not moving then I will speak to them to see if anything can be done about it. I've got other prep work to do with the forum and website so it's not holding me up right now.

• Arghhh. Thanks for the update @dendy .

• edited December 2018

Yep, the first "tier" at Apple review really seems to consist entirely of "the average joe from the street". I've had every music-related app rejected for that very same reason on the first attempt -- background audio.

To be fair though, as soon as they recognize that the developer is not a "let's copy&paste some code yo d00d" idiot and the app in question is sophisticated, they seem to assign a different, fixed reviewer entirely, because after that first rejection, I never got the same app rejected again, ever.

• So bottom line NS2 should be out within the fortnight?

• I don’t know how you guys do it. Put in all that hard ass work only to have some N0oB rubber stamp you out the door.

• I could cry with the waiting ... can't imagine what Matt (dev) feels like. Has to be torture.

• Loving the reviewing process! :smile: :smile: :smile:

• Strangely enough there are already Audiokit SynthOne clones infested with ads etc. on the AppStore which passed the review process

This discussion has been closed.