Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any way to use full version of app when open in audiobus?

To use a simple example, I’ll refer to ReSlice, when opened in audiobus, import button disappears as well as other things, another example, in mood synth all options are gone. I’d rather have audiobus open as a side window and use full featured apps than use them “within” audiobus.
I’m newish to iOS production, but not to audio/midi in general. Please tell me I’m an idiot and there’s already a way to do this?

Comments

• Usually to get the full app, you have to use the IAA version (aka standalone). Don’t use the AU version.
    Remember, you only get 1 instance per IAA app.

• ReSlice AU not having the import button is annoying. I usually load the standalone (Inter-App Audio) version when I’m building presets, then swap it out for the AU version for playing.

Mood has all the options of the standalone in the AU version. They’re just spread across multiple pages. Check the top of the app where you have links to the various pages. I think you will find most apps do have all the same options, just buried sometimes. Good hunting.

The problem with standalone apps, other than only being able to use one instance at a time, is not all of them save their “State” - which is all the settings of the app. If a standalone app doesn’t show “State” next to it in the selection list in Audiobus, then you need to remember to save the settings as a preset, then load that preset the next time you use it. AU apps save their state always.

• Thanks, yeah that does work for some stuff, now I know lol. Also, I think some audio apps just need an update badly, think I’ve lost like 70 bucks on random production apps/synths that basically don’t work or crackle badly and murder cpu load no matter latency/buffer/bitrate on 3rd gen IPad Pro. Kind of weird they let devs keep them in store with no warning about it not working w new devices/new iOS, I basically started refusing download anything unless updated in last 30 days.

• edited December 2018

Deadcircutgod Im feelin ya. Lots of good points. IOS is very new and evolving. It’s best to just explore and find what works for you (which will also change in time). This change also keeps things exciting, but can also be fustrating lol.
    Lately i luv standalone mode: the full featured screen, less swipping, routing, etc, full single app concentration and a lot more playing.

Lots of good info on this forum.
    -Enjoy

• @DEADCIRCUITGOD said:
    Thanks, yeah that does work for some stuff, now I know lol. Also, I think some audio apps just need an update badly, think I’ve lost like 70 bucks on random production apps/synths that basically don’t work or crackle badly and murder cpu load no matter latency/buffer/bitrate on 3rd gen IPad Pro. Kind of weird they let devs keep them in store with no warning about it not working w new devices/new iOS, I basically started refusing download anything unless updated in last 30 days.

Make sure to contact the devs. They might not know about the problems you encountered.

• @DEADCIRCUITGOD said:
    Thanks, yeah that does work for some stuff, now I know lol. Also, I think some audio apps just need an update badly, think I’ve lost like 70 bucks on random production apps/synths that basically don’t work or crackle badly and murder cpu load no matter latency/buffer/bitrate on 3rd gen IPad Pro. Kind of weird they let devs keep them in store with no warning about it not working w new devices/new iOS, I basically started refusing download anything unless updated in last 30 days.

In the case of the iPad Pro 3 it's not the fault/problem of the app's devs. It's a known iOS bug, which causes those iPad Pros to run realtime audio threads on the low-power CPU cores. I've heard Apple has located and fixed the bug and will release the fix in an iOS patch in the near future :)

• @brambos said:
    In the case of the iPad Pro 3 it's not the fault/problem of the app's devs. It's a known iOS bug, which causes those iPad Pros to run realtime audio threads on the low-power CPU cores. I've heard Apple has located and fixed the bug and will release the fix in an iOS patch in the near future :)

Cool, thanks again, you guys are on top of it thankfully lol, I have so much random stuff in my audio arsenal that I’m realizing I don’t need as long as I can get iOS to obey me. Recording analog synths through my audiofuse into AUM was actually impressive. I’ve had iPhones a while but no other apple stuff til this iPad, but apple sh1ts on windows all day for audio production, I can tell just from this iPad. If only apple did gaming more, I’d sell all my pc hardware in a second. 

• @breilly said:
    Deadcircutgod Im feelin ya. Lots of good points. IOS is very new and evolving. It’s best to just explore and find what works for you (which will also change in time). This change also keeps things exciting, but can also be fustrating lol.
    Lately i luv standalone mode: the full featured screen, less swipping, routing, etc, full single app concentration and a lot more playing.

Lots of good info on this forum.
    -Enjoy

Yeah iOS is a really good platform, it proves itself over and over again so far for me. Once I get past figuring out what apps work best together and get rid of the problem apps, the workflow will be amazing. And yeah, some stuff just needs a desperate update and it’ll be fine I’m sure.
    Mostly using cubasis2 which is amazing so far, awesome work flow, and all of the audio damage stuff works great, studiomux works great to send audio into pc DAW. Also impressed with midi on iOS, this iPad lets me plug in a hub and connect whatever I want without hassle.
    My main issue so far is a loooooot of synth/drum/noise/generator apps pop and crackle no matter cpu load or settings, so makes a lot of stuff completely useless for the time being, but yeah mostly having fun throwing this iPad in the mix w analog synths and my pc. Touchscreen is super awesome compared to using a mouse obviously lol. Tried to buy a razor 4K touchscreen i7 laptop and I will tell you this iPad sh1ts on it for actual usability not to mention trying to scale vst plugins on a 4K monitor ends up sucking big time.

• @espiegel123 said:

@DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

Make sure to contact the devs. They might not know about the problems you encountered.

Yeah, unfortunately many apps listed on this website have issues in AppStore comments from a year ago with no response from dev and no update, it happens, apple just needs to make sure they aren’t letting people charge 25 dollars for apps that they abandoned, and someone should clean up the list of compatible apps on this site, it looks great that there’s so many to try, but it’s really hit or miss right now nooo joke. Maybe they could put a compatibility red exclamation point by the ones that may be abandoned by their devs. Just like look at all the ones that haven’t been updated for over a year and assume they aren’t going to be fully functional if not completely broken.
    Don’t get me wrong though I’m super happy w audiobus and glad it exists. And I’d be more than happy to make a list of broken or half broken apps, but I can’t keep buying them lol.

• @DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

@espiegel123 said:

@DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

Yeah, unfortunately many apps listed on this website have issues in AppStore comments from a year ago with no response from dev and no update, it happens, apple just needs to make sure they aren’t letting people charge 25 dollars for apps that they abandoned, and someone should clean up the list of compatible apps on this site, it looks great that there’s so many to try, but it’s really hit or miss right now nooo joke. Maybe they could put a compatibility red exclamation point by the ones that may be abandoned by their devs. Just like look at all the ones that haven’t been updated for over a year and assume they aren’t going to be fully functional if not completely broken.
    Don’t get me wrong though I’m super happy w audiobus and glad it exists. And I’d be more than happy to make a list of broken or half broken apps, but I can’t keep buying them lol.

Impossible. Apple introduces bugs in iOS upgrades that sometimes partially break an app, or hardware bugs in certain models that affect performance, or host apps introduce bugs that affect only certain apps. All of these are constantly in flux. What you see as an incompatibility might be a temporary bug that gets ironed out in a day, or never. It might only be in certain date-ranges of devices made, it might be a host of other things. Where you blame an app provider, it might not be their fault at all and be beyond their control.

Sorry, but what you're proposing is logistically impractical.

• edited December 2018

@wim said:

@DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

@espiegel123 said:

@DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

Impossible. Apple introduces bugs in iOS upgrades that sometimes partially break an app, or hardware bugs in certain models that affect performance, or host apps introduce bugs that affect only certain apps. All of these are constantly in flux. What you see as an incompatibility might be a temporary bug that gets ironed out in a day, or never. It might only be in certain date-ranges of devices made, it might be a host of other things. Where you blame an app provider, it might not be their fault at all and be beyond their control.

Sorry, but what you're proposing is logistically impractical.

Even if keeping things running smoothly is impractical, I'm not going to agree that its right to charge money for these apps with no warning, no disclaimer, and then say "too bad, it'll never work, and we dont care". Thats a good way to stop people from bothering to spend money, knowing that its the norm that you may be paying for something that may NEVER work. Be mad, but any normal human being with any self respect isn't going to just let themselves be ok with being ripped off. When I pay money for something, I worked for it, and its nonsense to just say "too bad" and expect it to be fine. Add a damn disclaimer in description in app store, it isn't that hard, not sure why it's being made into some impossible feat, just to add a warning.
    I appreciate your response regardless.
    @brambos, your apps all work great, so maybe we aren't referring to same issues? Why do all your apps work flawlessly so far for me? I think I have every single one :) and thank you for them!!

• @brambos said:

@DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

Yes, I can confirm that the crackling/high CPU usage issue is fixed in iOS 12.1.2 beta 1 (I have it installed on my 11" iPad Pro).

• @balph said:

@brambos said:

@DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

Yes, I can confirm that the crackling/high CPU usage issue is fixed in iOS 12.1.2 beta 1 (I have it installed on my 11" iPad Pro).

Ahh, I need to try beta update, thank you sir.

• @DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

@balph said:

@brambos said:

@DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

Yeah the public beta is out now too. I think you can safely install it, it's running without any issues on my iPad.

• @balph said:

@DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

@balph said:

@brambos said:

@DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

Yeah the public beta is out now too. I think you can safely install it, it's running without any issues on my iPad.

Yay, it is there, the one time I didn't get a nag badge to update, installing now, I'll post any performance differences I notice.

• @DEADCIRCUITGOD said:
    Even if keeping things running smoothly is impractical, I'm not going to agree that its right to charge money for these apps with no warning, no disclaimer, and then say "too bad, it'll never work, and we dont care". Thats a good way to stop people from bothering to spend money, knowing that its the norm that you may be paying for something that may NEVER work. Be mad, but any normal human being with any self respect isn't going to just let themselves be ok with being ripped off. When I pay money for something, I worked for it, and its nonsense to just say "too bad" and expect it to be fine. Add a damn disclaimer in description in app store, it isn't that hard, not sure why it's being made into some impossible feat, just to add a warning.

Just to be clear, I wasn’t saying it’s right to charge money for things that don’t work. I was saying that maintaining warnings and lists on the App Store such as you describe is impractical. On the other hand, Apple has a refund policy in place for such things, just like any other merchant.

• @wim said:

@DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

Just to be clear, I wasn’t saying it’s right to charge money for things that don’t work. I was saying that maintaining warnings and lists on the App Store such as you describe is impractical. On the other hand, Apple has a refund policy in place for such things, just like any other merchant.

So, I shouldn't expect devs to own current device and post real quick that there are issues? In 2018, it's super hard to update an app description lol. I've had no money refunded, weeks after trying, just saying. If you were in my shitty shoes, it would also smell like shit to you lol.

• OK. I have better things to do. Peace.

• @DEADCIRCUITGOD said:
    In 2018, it's super hard to update an app description lol.

In fact Apple will only let you update the app description when you update the app itself too :)

• @wim said:
    OK. I have better things to do. Peace.

Peace to you as well, not trying to be rude, just frustrated with situation/s

• @brambos said:

@DEADCIRCUITGOD said:
    In 2018, it's super hard to update an app description lol.

In fact Apple will only let you update the app description when you update the app itself too :)

huh, thats silly, guess my thought on compatibility warning was extremely bad, seeing as it's impossible.. ehh lol. Thanks for that info, makes whole situation clearer.

• If the App Store reviews aren’t working well enough to help avoid unfortunate purchases, you can always ask here before buying. You’ll get more opinions than you need or want, probably. ;)

• @wim said:
    If the App Store reviews aren’t working well enough to help avoid unfortunate purchases, you can always ask here before buying. You’ll get more opinions than you need or want, probably. ;)

Ya, in a way it’s more my own fault, just read a few reviews and downloaded a bunch of stuff, was blissfully ignorant when I saw all the apps that I couldn’t ever have on iPhone, buy, buy, buy lol. Thanks, should have come here in first place.