Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New App - PolyPhase - Beta is open - not mine but seems very cool -

Comments

• @echoopera This will be right up your street I think, great for Euclid sequencing. This app definitely inspires me. Midi learn or CC control of key parameters would be a winner in the future aswell.

• CC Controls of important parameters is a very good idea!
    I'll add those to control all of the Track properties (right side of a Track), important Synth parameters, and some CC's to toggle some of the randomization functions below.

• Had PolyPhase driving 3 AU inside AB3 along with Noir and a bit of Reverb!

Sounds fab.

Audiobus preset 'Elated Nut': http://preset.audiob.us/tOHpdTNC3GoNdtG

• This is great !
    A lot of thought and detail has gone into this.

Can't seem to change midi channels for each track output

• edited November 2018

The upper left WIFI Icon contains all of the Input / Output MIDI Settings, including MIDI Channels. Swipe up / down on a channel to change.

• edited November 2018

Just made a quick track feeding it into Audiobus running BS-16, Knonecker and Mersenne with Noir accompanying works great. Had a low bpm, and just switched around the random functions and scales etc.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @echoopera This will be right up your street I think, great for Euclid sequencing. This app definitely inspires me. Midi learn or CC control of key parameters would be a winner in the future aswell.

Cool. Will give it a look. 👊🏼™️

• @mekohler If the Synth was a after thought it sounds pretty good to me, good to see you added in filter, envelopes and FX, there’s gonna be a lot of people asking for IAA, AU etc just to use the synth inside a DAW etc.

I love apps that inspire and this one definitely does so instant buy once your release it from me.

• edited November 2018

@mekohler said:
    The upper left WIFI Icon contains all of the Input / Output MIDI Settings, including MIDI Channels. Swipe up / down on a channel to change.

Oooof, took me reading this thread to find the midi functionality of a MIDI application! Your synth is very nice and welcome and will keep the iTunes trolls from saying "... it doesn't make any noise!"

I'd recommend that you change the WiFi icon to a MIDI word or icon. Just from a user expectation standpoint it would be less confusing. You might also want to boost the sections of your app that aren't the active ones to something 70-80 of your background color (ie brighter). Such as the Snapshots section looks blank and it's just the title and not apparent that there is functionality there.

I know it would probably be a bit of work but consider using a modal or popup (see StepPolyArp) for the track editing section (on the right) the controls are sensitive (fiddly) and people with fat fingers might have more trouble than me.

Also, speaking of user expectations, usually the play stop button is the same place or next to each other, but in either case it doesn't just disappear.

Super nice app.

Everyone ignore the app marketing gaff. It's good. <3

• yeah, just had a quick play. it's really good and the built in synth sounds suprisingly good too, so hope it gets all the usual connectivity options. AU would obviously be nice.
    Think the layout perhaps needs some work but otherwise lots of fun :)

• edited November 2018

1) I agree on the WIFI Icon, I'll fix that for release. Snapshots being too dim is addressed in the next beta.

2) I wanted all settings and functions to be accessible so you can play it live, but that does result in some small UI. I'll definitely add a toggle to fold them away, so the sequencer takes up the entire space, or use a larger pop-up.

3) I'm used to the Elektron style transport where they are separate buttons, and I wanted Start / Stop to send out their relevant MIDI commands regardless of the state of my sequencer. I'll remove the dimming, however.

Lots of good suggestions so far :o

• edited November 2018

@mekohler said:

This forum is probably the best place to get good suggestions! A lot of good people here!! 😊
    Congratulations for your debut here! Great app!👍

• @mekohler said:
    1) I agree on the WIFI Icon, I'll fix that for release. Snapshots being too dim is addressed in the next beta.

2) I wanted all settings and functions to be accessible so you can play it live, but that does result in some small UI. I'll definitely add a toggle to fold them away, so the sequencer takes up the entire space, or use a larger pop-up.

3) I'm used to the Elektron style transport where they are separate buttons, and I wanted Start / Stop to send out their relevant MIDI commands regardless of the state of my sequencer. I'll remove the dimming, however.

Agreed great to have everything on one page was going to suggest Keys and Scales get front viewing !

• Took me a minute to figure this out....then again I’m a bit thick but after I did? This is amazing! Huge scope for happy accidents. When’s this bad boy out?

• And I’ll just stick my neck out and say it....even at this point it’s better than Fugue. Only my opinion mind you so put away the bloody pitchforks!

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@brambos said:
    Odd that it explicitly mentions a "rival" app in the introduction, which happens to be a well respected app. Not an approach I would take, personally :|

I took it more as a nod to a source of inspiration, but yeah, even in this era of Norm Destroying, it was somewhat odd.
    That said, as much as I enjoy Fugue Machine, it hasn't been updated in a year, and the developer has been deep into his next project, so fair game, I say.

Agree. FM was cool for the time, but it's such a lonely island sandbox... No midi control of anything. Not even transposition via midi. developer is totally AWOL, etc. etc.

• @Mull said:
    Took me a minute to figure this out....then again I’m a bit thick but after I did? This is amazing! Huge scope for happy accidents. When’s this bad boy out?

Thanks man! The next 2 weeks I'll be implementing any quick fixes / features from the forums and I'll release it right after that (late December). Just from the edits I made today from user suggestions, it already feels nicer B)

• @mekohler said:

@Mull said:
    Took me a minute to figure this out....then again I’m a bit thick but after I did? This is amazing! Huge scope for happy accidents. When’s this bad boy out?

Thanks man! The next 2 weeks I'll be implementing any quick fixes / features from the forums and I'll release it right after that (late December). Just from the edits I made today from user suggestions, it already feels nicer B)

Good stuff! I found it way easier to get something musical from this than I did with FM even though it’s a great app in its own right . Polyphase you just randomize and tweak and it just throws out stuff constantly that u just go ‘ shit I can use that’ and that’s the big advantage.

• I really like what I see, and hear, internal synth sounds quite nice.
    Can’t wait to put this in my workflow :)

• @mekohler Welcome and good luck to you!

• @mekohler said:
    CC Controls of important parameters is a very good idea!
    I'll add those to control all of the Track properties (right side of a Track), important Synth parameters, and some CC's to toggle some of the randomization functions below.

Awesome!! This is what I was going to request... And be able to send each sequence out to a different channel or cc of the same or different synths.
    Really loving this so far! It's fun and really does a good job at generating useful sequences...

• @mekohler Loving the machine you’ve built! You have a customer at release.

• Really nice little app. Here’s something i did feeding it into Groovebox

• edited November 2018

Felt great playing with it for an hour. So many cool moments to capture and expand on.

• @waynerowand said:
    Just jumped on the beta for this. It’s much more of a Turing Machine. It’s way different from Fugue. Loads of generative options.

Did you ever give Dhalang MG a spin? It's interface is a little cryptic, but I think many give up on it too soon. I ask because it has lots of incredible generative options within the app and has midi out for all of it too. There's also lots of ways to control the parameters of what's being generated. If you can warm to the interface, I think you'd dig it for that alone... even if you never used any of it's synth portions or effects.

There's also a couple different ways to set up generative instructions to play for a certain amount of time pointed at external synths, then kind of morph into another set of generative parameters, etc. Kind of a generative sound mode of sorts.

• @skiphunt said:

@waynerowand said:
    Just jumped on the beta for this. It’s much more of a Turing Machine. It’s way different from Fugue. Loads of generative options.

Did you ever give Dhalang MG a spin? It's interface is a little cryptic, but I think many give up on it too soon. I ask because it has lots of incredible generative options within the app and has midi out for all of it too. There's also lots of ways to control the parameters of what's being generated. If you can warm to the interface, I think you'd dig it for that alone... even if you never used any of it's synth portions or effects.

There's also a couple different ways to set up generative instructions to play for a certain amount of time pointed at external synths, then kind of morph into another set of generative parameters, etc. Kind of a generative sound mode of sorts.

Yea.....never gave it much thought. Didn’t know that scene morphing, so to speak, would be an option. Gonna give the lite version a go. Thanks for the recommendation!

• Hours of FUN !!!!
    @mekohler - having trouble with the small transpose / Len etc numbers disappearing under my finger, hard to adjust when the numbers are under your finger. (can they enlarge when adjusting?)

What I have not worked out is how to use the random settings on only certain selected track.
    Is this possible? - or is everything effected?
    I am wanting to extend notes on only one track, random chance on another etc.
    How do I do this?

I am getting SO much great output from this driving Kontakt.
    Congrats on a killer app :p

• edited November 2018

@Mayo said:
    Hours of FUN !!!!
    @mekohler - having trouble with the small transpose / Len etc numbers disappearing under my finger, hard to adjust when the numbers are under your finger. (can they enlarge when adjusting?)

What I have not worked out is how to use the random settings on only certain selected track.
    Is this possible? - or is everything effected?
    I am wanting to extend notes on only one track, random chance on another etc.
    How do I do this?

I am getting SO much great output from this driving Kontakt.
    Congrats on a killer app :p

Yes I know that small UI needs work, not sure what to do about it yet. Even though the UI is small, once you press your finger down on a value and start moving up / down, you can move your finger over a little to the right so you can see the values and not have it under your finger. Not ideal, I know!

You can toggle the lock icon on a Track. This prevents it from being affected by the bottom functions.

• Happy Accident Central ... I likee.

Going to dig into this one and try to break it, my mission for the weekend is to find at least one bug or crash the thing. :)

• @mekohler - thanks for the lock tip.
    Can you explain the phase function - is it like a step delay from the master track?
    What is happening?