Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New App - PolyPhase - Beta is open - not mine but seems very cool -

Comments

• Odd that it explicitly mentions a "rival" app in the introduction, which happens to be a well respected app. Not an approach I would take, personally :|

• Agree> @brambos said:

Odd that it explicitly mentions a "rival" app in the introduction, which happens to be a well respected app. Not an approach I would take, personally :|

• Looks like it could have had much simplified design if made in to a MIDI AU for multiple instancing, seems a lot of developers are boxing themselves in to a corner, the days of one trick ponies are gone.

• Cool, more people creating the better, i always find it inspiring.

• @brambos said:
    Odd that it explicitly mentions a "rival" app in the introduction, which happens to be a well respected app. Not an approach I would take, personally :|

I took it more as a nod to a source of inspiration, but yeah, even in this era of Norm Destroying, it was somewhat odd.
    That said, as much as I enjoy Fugue Machine, it hasn't been updated in a year, and the developer has been deep into his next project, so fair game, I say.

• @brambos said:

Care to explain why it's wrong@brambos

• edited November 2018

@Kkani said:

@brambos said:

I'll field this one? It's a little nervy to kind of reinterpret someone's innovation — the fugue paradigm — and then say you're going to challenge it.

• edited November 2018

I just took it that he mentioned Fugue specifically, but I will let him speak for himself. Due to the global nature of communication, there may be some misinterpretation.

I can say something like “ I rival at your accomplishments”, which means more along the lines of, I am amazed, and it’s a compliment, as opposed to a strong competition. Its like they give it up to you in praise. It’s more like saying I wish I was able to do what you have done, to imply a desire to replicate or be as good as.. inspire.

• Rivals = As good as.
    It comes across as egotistical at best, let your users decide if it is as good as or better than, no need to tell them and invoke a competitors name, it is extremely petty.

• Seems standalone only which is a shame or am I missing something apart from midi out.

• @Breezee said:
    I just took it that he mentioned Fugue specifically, but I will let him speak for himself. Due to the global nature of communication, there may be some misinterpretation.

I can say something like “ I rival at your accomplishments”, which means more along the lines of, I am amazed, and it’s a compliment, as opposed to a strong competition. Its like they give it up to you in praise. It’s more like saying I wish I was able to do what you have done, to imply a desire to replicate or be as good as.. inspire.

I'm sure it wasn't an outright dis. It's just a little bit weird. Like if Behringer had referred to its Mode D not as a "legendary analog synthesizer" but as a "total Minimoog ripoff."

• Just jumped on the beta for this. It’s much more of a Turing Machine. It’s way different from Fugue. Loads of generative options.

• edited November 2018

@ExAsperis99 said:

@Kkani said:

@brambos said:

I'll field this one? It's a little nervy to kind of reinterpret someone's innovation — the fugue paradigm — and then say you're going to challenge it.

Yeah, "will rival Fugue Machine" sounds a bit aggressive to me. Doesn't seem in the spirit of the music app dev community, which from a customers perspective always comes across as more mutually supportive, than competitive. I'm sure it'll be a great app though.

• Just a quick spin, and I agree that it rivals Fugue Machine.
    It seems to do all that Fugue Machine does, but goes way, way beyond that app.
    Pretty exciting, as Fugue Machine has been one of my top apps since I first bought it a couple of years ago.

• edited November 2018

@MonzoPro Yep, the language sounds a little aggressive. Young, cocksure? Maybe just trying(poorly) to put his app in context...he mentions Turing Machine and Ornaments and Crime also.....

That said, I’m really liking the ideas in this thing.

• @waynerowand said:
    @MonzoPro Yep, the language sounds a little aggressive. Young, cocksure? Maybe just trying(poorly) to put his app in context...he mentions Turing Machine and Ornaments and Crime also.....

That said, I’m really liking the ideas in this thing.

Exactly! Is the app good? All is forgiven!

• app is awesome 👏 happy it exists

• It doesn't seem to be AB/IAA. Can't find it in AB3, AUM, Apematrix or Cubasis.
    Worth noting: Fugue Machine is!

• Just read that it’s the developers first app and he has to learn how to implement auv3/audiobus/iaa. He seems to be listening to what folks are telling him over on the Elektron forum.

• Hi, this is my app. By rival I meant it would match the ease of use / functionality of those sequencers (that's the goal at least), not that it was better than them or would make them obsolete.

• edited November 2018

@mekohler said:
    Hi, this is my app. By rival I meant it would match the ease of use / functionality of those sequencers (that's the goal at least), not that it was better than them or would make them obsolete.

Just been playing with your app, it’s frickin awesome 👏 I guess the first step is to ask if you can get it working as a IAA?

• @mekohler said:
    Hi, this is my app. By rival I meant it would match the ease of use / functionality of those sequencers (that's the goal at least), not that it was better than them or would make them obsolete.

Thanks for making the beta open and first five minutes with the app was impressive. Hope you can add Audiobus support soon.

• Thanks! I need to look into how to integrate it with IAA, AUv3, etc. It was meant to be only a MIDI sequencer, but I added the synth at the last moment for users with no hardware. I didn't think people would want to use the synth in production. This is my first app with Audio, so I'm still learning :o

• edited November 2018

@mekohler said:
    Thanks! I need to look into how to integrate it with IAA, AUv3, etc. It was meant to be only a MIDI sequencer, but I added the synth at the last moment for users with no hardware. I didn't think people would want to use the synth in production. This is my first app with Audio, so I'm still learning :o

I’m sure you already have been informed by now but there is a developer section to audiobus forum you can join and obviously there people can actually advise you somewhat on various integration methods I would imagine.

• Yep, I'm sure I'll be needing their help soon enough! :#

• @mekohler said:
    Thanks! I need to look into how to integrate it with IAA, AUv3, etc. It was meant to be only a MIDI sequencer, but I added the synth at the last moment for users with no hardware. I didn't think people would want to use the synth in production. This is my first app with Audio, so I'm still learning :o

It definitely takes Sequencers functionality to the next level seems pretty stable no crashes for a beta. The other immediate addition that springs to mind is Ableton Link support a must for a Sequencer.

• Yep, Ableton Link is on the list. The first update after release will add selectable interfaces per Track, instead of just MIDI Channels. Once I feel everything is stable and I clean up the code, I will tackle integrating it with the outside world (Link, IAA, etc).

• Good to see it plays whilst in the background and shows up as a virtual connection inside Audiobus.

• @mekohler said:
    Yep, Ableton Link is on the list. The first update after release will add selectable interfaces per Track, instead of just MIDI Channels. Once I feel everything is stable and I clean up the code, I will tackle integrating it with the outside world (Link, IAA, etc).

Good start! Congrats