Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Compare/Contrast: Electribe -- Digitakt

I realize Digitakt is the "cool" item and brand as of late.

But, has anyone used both and say the similarity differences uses likes dislikes of these 2 side by side are?

I appreciate YT links but would really like some anecdotal stuff to be honest.

Regards,

RSK

Comments

• I did some research on both a while back, thought of getting one or the other, but neither has a feature set as robust as GR-16. So I’d be paying hundreds of dollars just for “the feel” of physical knobs, etc. Decided that was not enough for a purchase

• Digitakt will be more straightforward to use, much less menu diving and less screens to visit while designing your sounds. It also has less effects, and only uses mono samples. The Electribe can use stereo samples (at the expense of two tracks), and is paraphonic while the Digi is monophonic per track. Downside of the Electribe is that the maximum number of voices fluctuates depending on what effects, filter models, and sample tweaks you're using in a pattern, so you might get unexpected voice stealing right when things are sounding good. Personally I find the Digi sequencer to be more robust and easier to use for performance, though you get nice treats like groove settings per track on the electribe.

Personally I would go for the Digi, it's way easier and more fun to use than the electribe IMO. On paper it looks like the electribe has more functionality, but accessing and using it is tedious at times with all the menus and shortcuts. Plus, in terms of sound shaping I find the digi easier to get good results with.

• I've never owned a Digitakt (but wish i did). But i've had plenty of Electribe experience over the years. I'd say that GR-16 on IOS is a very faithful porting of the Electribe 2/2S workflow. Infact it goes above and beyond what the Electribes can do and addresses many of their shortcomings. So if you've tried GR-16 and you like it, then the hardware versions offer slightly less features, more "quirks" and a real hardware experience, if that is important to you. I'd say if you don't like GR-16, then the Electribe 2 series is not for you. Oh and the sample management on the 2S is dreadful...

The older versions, the EMX/ESX are a little long in the tooth now, but were built like tanks so should be weathering the years if looked after. Up there with the best grooveboxes ever made, basic but powerful sequencers that were great for live use. None of your fancy p-locks and trig conditions, you got out what you put in. The synth version (EMX) could sound massively powerful, even though each of it's 5 synth parts were monophonic. What let it down for me was the drum section, but pairing it up with an ESX for drum duties was tremendous. Both had a pair of underpowered valves on the output stage which were supposed to add "valve warmth" to the sound. The jury is out on that one. But for sure, the EMX could rip your ears off.

As for the even older Electribes, the EA-1 was ported to IOS as iElectribe (the first app i ever bought). Totally bonkers drum machine/drum synth, still great fun to use after all these years.

• @Tarekith said:
    Digitakt will be more straightforward to use, much less menu diving and less screens to visit while designing your sounds. It also has less effects, and only uses mono samples. The Electribe can use stereo samples (at the expense of two tracks), and is paraphonic while the Digi is monophonic per track. Downside of the Electribe is that the maximum number of voices fluctuates depending on what effects, filter models, and sample tweaks you're using in a pattern, so you might get unexpected voice stealing right when things are sounding good. Personally I find the Digi sequencer to be more robust and easier to use for performance, though you get nice treats like groove settings per track on the electribe.

Personally I would go for the Digi, it's way easier and more fun to use than the electribe IMO. On paper it looks like the electribe has more functionality, but accessing and using it is tedious at times with all the menus and shortcuts. Plus, in terms of sound shaping I find the digi easier to get good results with.

Valued opinion.

Check.

;)

• I don't care at all about the age of a device as long as it's good and reliable.
    The Digitakt is a great and fun to use drum sampler that wants to be used with other gear, in my case Korg Gadget and Groove Rider. Sometimes an Electribe MX (EMX-1) too.
    Groove Rider can mostly replace the EMX sound- and feature-wise but the EMX is a lot of fun to use and the hands-on control gives me some different inspiration.
    Groove Rider's "fake stereo" often works well enough, and if not, I'll import stereo samples into Gadget's Stockholm and Bilbao.

I would never buy one of the current Electribes because their hands-on usability really defeats the idea of dedicated hardware imho, but I know that some people do like all that menu diving ;)