Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why You Should Check Out Audulus

Comments

• wimwim
    edited May 2018

@futureaztec said:
    But, then, for me I feel like this might just be one of those things I have to learn to walk away from and continue to work on what I was enjoying and forget about trying to point out some flawed reasoning, when, to me the sound in Audulus is fantastic, so what do I care what you think?

^this.

Pointless sidetrack from an otherwise useful thread.

• edited May 2018

@cian said:
    This programming style was quite hip in the late 90s, I remember the Danish Koblo system, but likely there were more. I'm familiar with such stuff since 2000 and I'm a developer myself - but in the database/kowledge management domain, not audio.

I do do audio/DSP programming and you need to stop now.

I don't need to do anything.
    That my focus isn't audio/dsp has monetary reasons in the first place.

@futureaztec
    you're ridiculous: I've mentioned some folks to defend the usefulness of modular environments and you change this into a statement about myself.

I'm deeply sorry that I spoilt your 'fishing for applause' thread.
    You seem to have missed the attribute 'reasonable' in the sentence that annoyed you most.
    It's about the amount of effort for an equal result in user experience and (opposed to you) I actually have several such devices for comparison and use a modular system for 15 years.

But you're welcome to have a different opinion based on nothing but your first experiments.
    Finally: it was you who quoted me time and again with misinterpretions of my posts.
    I clearly stated my reasons in polite language and you could have just let them just be.
    As I won't make any further attempts to explain anything to you.

But I certainly will not stop to post if I consider something worth mentioning ;)

• ahem... seems this thread has gone a little off the rails.

Just wanted to chime in and thank the OP. Audulus had been sitting gathering digi dust since I purchased it a year ago with the best of intentions - opened it twice, quickly overwhelmed/ intimidated by it. Thanks to your encouragement, and the latest update, I gave it another crack and in short time I was up and running with it building simple patches. Helps to open up existing modules and see what's going on.

Really looking forward to building some Auv3 Effects units with it.

• edited May 2018

Here is a patch using some modules that recently got uploaded:

I usually make keyboard controlled synthesizer patches but this is a generative one. I suppose that part of the addiction there is you can get a sequence going and then explore what the various functions do -- adding logic gates, modulating tweaks. With Reaktor Blocks I was attenuating the "cv" signals, but I was not doing as much exploration of routing and such. Now I can go back into that software or VCV Rack and understand a whole lot more.

I agree with everyone that there is a learning cure, but it seems to get me unstuck from taking routine approaches to synthesis and understanding more than if I hadn't been exploring the modular. These are Reaktor Blocks from the user library btw, which I have been collecting for a couple of years.

• edited May 2018

@tja said ...it is a major crackle fest - even as the CPU is just 50-60%

Here is an update on your iPad Pro 2nd Gen issue.

https://forum.audulus.com/t/revisiting-the-crackling-noise/549

• Thanks a great many bunch!

Going to install the update and check :) :) :)

• Audulus reminds me of the early Max/MSP days (in that I don't get it yet)...

But honestly, Max / MSP was hands down the best thing that ever happened to the computer side of my brain. Its writing a form of pre-packaged code by linking little boxes together. I never studied any coding, and because it was one of the only interesting video options at the time (talking 1998 here) - I just kept at it with a good attitude.

That is sorta the key, unless you are already skilled in this sort of thing - you just have fun learning the little things you can, and don't worry about 'mastering' it or anything, unless that becomes fun for you. I grabbed Audulus, and ironically, soon there after had to jump back into Max/MSP for a work project, taking a few on/off midi notes and turning them into dynamic controls for video.

It is super fun with the right attitude. Dont worry if you don't get it, just get excited when something you make works - does something - and for those not versed in machine style logic, it really does open your brain to things humans with our thumbs and our books and language and whatnot take for granted.

That is ACTUALLY explaining something without missing all the little details that other humans wouldn't notice. My last max hurdle was this - I want to fade the video down when the last midi off note happens. How do you know its the last midi off? That drove me crazy and I had to eventually build matrixs (like excel) and resort to 'comparing' the state of the 'all notes off'' array with the current one every 3 seconds or so, and output a 'yes its the same' message to start the fadeout. Sorta longer explaination that necesary, but I would have never thought about that without my little node programming legos like max and audulus. Computers don't think, (yet) they just do what you tell them. Instructions are everything.

• wimwim
    edited May 2018

It reminds me of my first experiences with a VAX and then UNIX way back in the previous century. I felt like a frigging genius when I finally figured out how to edit a file.

Yay! I can make a sawtooth wave now! B)

• edited May 2018

I didn’t share because it wouldn’t run well on my iPad Mini but now that the Audulus app is running even better, I figured I should.

">

You will have to scroll down in the forum post to find version 0.2 of the patch. The heart is a clone of Akemie’s castle, a Eurorack FM synth classic.

• edited May 2018

Here is another synthesizer patch I made on Mac OSX that is now running well on the iPad because of the Audulus update.

It is keyboard controlled, rather than generative.

• edited November 2018

Performance by user 'biminiroad'

• edited November 2018

I love user focused programmable toolkits: musical erector sets. I got the Mac and iOS versions just to play assembler in the musical sandbox. SunVox scratches this itch too. I grabbed TC-DATA to configure new GUI’s for old apps. Keeps me from just playing with myself... musically. Or maybe that’s what this is. As you were.

• @futureaztec I like what you posted, but I cannot seem to download anything of this.
    Could you not offer a zip version?
    Right now, I cannot save or share the links in this forum.
    :/ :(

• @tja said:
    @futureaztec I like what you posted, but I cannot seem to download anything of this.
    Could you not offer a zip version?
    Right now, I cannot save or share the links in this forum.
    :/ :(

I shared the link to Aloha, could download there and then shared the download to Audulus!

• I shared the link to Aloha, could download there and then shared the download to Audulus!

So you are good?

• @futureaztec said:

I shared the link to Aloha, could download there and then shared the download to Audulus!

So you are good?

Yep, thanks :)

• @Audulus_Mark
    How are things going with Audulus as an AUv3 FX or generator plugin?
    I've purchased Audulus in May and hoped for AUv3 soon, so may I ask if you would consider releasing it even when there are still a few apps that have issues hosting it?
    I guess you'll never reach perfection in software anyway ;)
    I would even be happy to only have preset selection and a selection of macro controls on the AUv3 screen, with full editing being possible in the standalone app.

• Ok, I know this is Audulus thread but I guess chances are some of you will own Zmors modular. I’m leaning towards that for the sample import option but wanted to make sure it can be triggered via midi and has the ability to assign values to velocity etc.

• @supadom said:
    Ok, I know this is Audulus thread but I guess chances are some of you will own Zmors modular. I’m leaning towards that for the sample import option but wanted to make sure it can be triggered via midi and has the ability to assign values to velocity etc.

Of course it can be triggered via MIDI.
    The "Midi Filter" module can extract a velocity value from an incoming note-on message.

• @rs2000 said:

@supadom said:
    Ok, I know this is Audulus thread but I guess chances are some of you will own Zmors modular. I’m leaning towards that for the sample import option but wanted to make sure it can be triggered via midi and has the ability to assign values to velocity etc.

Of course it can be triggered via MIDI.
    The "Midi Filter" module can extract a velocity value from an incoming note-on message.

Nice one. Can it be configured to a multitimbral mode to be triggered by BopPad via its 4 quadrants transmitting 1 note each and other CC values?

• @rs2000 said:
    @Audulus_Mark
    I've purchased Audulus in May and hoped for AUv3 soon, so may I ask if you would consider releasing it even when there are still a few apps that have issues hosting it?
    I would even be happy to only have preset selection and a selection of macro controls on the AUv3 screen, with full editing being possible in the standalone app.

+1

I have been waiting to buy Audulus for this feature alone.

• @Jocphone said:

@rs2000 said:
    @Audulus_Mark

+1

In fact I did because I have other modulars that work well but don't support AUv3.

• @supadom said:

Sure, and here's the manual:
    http://www.zmors.de/zMors_Modular_Manual.pdf

• @rs2000 said:

@supadom said:

Thanks, I think I was subconsciously scared of the manual but since it is right in front of me I might have to open that door..

• edited November 2018

@supadom said:

@rs2000 said:

@supadom said:

Thanks, I think I was subconsciously scared of the manual but since it is right in front of me I might have to open that door..

In iOS world, we can be lucky that there is one :D

• @Jocphone said:

@rs2000 said:
    @Audulus_Mark

+1

In fact I did because I have other modulars that work well but don't support AUv3.

It depends, if SonVux achieves this first then I am sorted.

We have been promised things before..

• @rs2000 said:

@supadom said:

@rs2000 said:

@supadom said:

In iOS world, we can be lucky that there is one :D

I didn't find it in the manual but I did send an arrow to the app support.

• @Jocphone said:

@Jocphone said:

@rs2000 said:
    @Audulus_Mark

+1

It depends, if SonVux achieves this first then I am sorted.

We have been promised things before..

Hopeful for that one too. I don’t have time for all of the things and SnxOuv is the Lego set that I’m comfortable with. Plus I really like the developer’s mindset, attitude etc.

Heels dug firmly in.

Not that everybody shouldn’t jump on the Audulus train. It looks amazing, and it’s a bargain for sure ;)

• edited November 2018

For some reason I wasn't getting any notifications of this thread happening! Hey y'all.> @rs2000 said:

@Audulus_Mark

Sorry - wasn't getting any notifications so just saw this!

We're really really close with AUv3 for Audulus. It will just be effect and instrument. You'll be able to do full editing in it, not just preset selection.

MIDI AUv3 will come with Audulus 4.

AUv3 hosting within Audulus is something that will come to Audulus 4, hopefully right at release, but not sure.

We're in the design phase of Audulus 4 right now. If you guys could know what I know, you'd be flipping out about what's coming. It's a huge change that I think everyone will really love, and it will draw in more of the skeptics who feel like Audulus is overwhelming or complicated (and yet it won't alienate current users - everyone will love this new thing).