Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy (HD) / AUM Best Practices?

Comments

• edited November 2018

@syrupcore said:
    @Janosax Sorry, I was off (but close). Said it had been a while. :) If you connect your iPad to iTunes and go to File Sharing->LoopyHD all of your sessions are there in folders. The folders consist of an XML file with the session data (bpm, track offsets, etc) and a "Media" folder with your loops (aif format, not wav). I think I was conflating an old request/wish (export as zip). So I guess that's still a wish! Considering LoopyHD's age, I somehow doubt changing its internal storage mechanism to FILES.app would be a trivial undertaking but I reckon that'd be the cleanest path forward.

Ok thanks you, that's still useful with Ableton Live even if I prefer Audioshare Wifi sharing over iTunes for PC!! ;)

Loopy is still young is my heart B) ... I'm sure @Michael will not resist the challenge!! :p

• @Janosax said:
    @tja

Loopy session recording uses AAC format, but loop recording uses 44.1 kHz 16 bits. So AUM is better mostly for Loopy session/live gigging audio recording. This is the main purpose of Loopy if you want to use it for production: making some loops/music material in realtime. It will let you make multiple loops playing at the same time like if it was a mini DAW. AUM allows for recording loops, but you need to load each time each loop in a file player node to listen to your whole production. And Loopy allows for easiest recording process via touchscreen, or you can even uses a pedalboard/midi controller for advanced triggering via midi learn. Only thing missing is multi loop export, as you have to export each 44.1/16 loop individually. And 12 loops is not a lot for a full song. So it’s more a live tool than a production tool, but it all depends on your needs. Blocswave is also ideal for that purpose with more slots and multi export, but it’s less reliable than before since iOS 12 and no midi control.

Edit: Here is an AB preset. I use AB beta and AUM beta, so perhaps this will not open correctly, let me know. With this preset, you need to keep Loopy monitoring settings off, and Ruismaker Noir in AUM can be replaced by anything else.

Audiobus preset 'Loopy AUM': http://preset.audiob.us/pU3nTRig1LXFsnz

Many thanks for this explanation, i start to grasp the loop topic!

And @espiegel123 it would be nice, to get your preset too!
    Thanks a bunch.

• @tja Here is my preset. Word of advice, turn off monitoring in Loopy to avoid potential feedback.

http://preset.audiob.us/eSGo5csSGH1trxi

Here are some screen caps with notes. It is all very simple once you are set up. The AB3 palette lets you do just about everything without needing to leave AUM. You can set loop lengths. Loop record. The loop recording starts at beginning of a cycle on the next empty track. So repeatedly recording lets you create multiple loops without switching apps.

Basic setup in AB3

AUM with SoftDrummer engaged to send to Loopy and Bias Amp and Sunrizer disengaged. Flick left or right on the send bus node to determine what gets sent to Loopy. (I wouldn’t normally send a soft Drummer, fwiw)

Almost everything you want to control in Loopy is here in the AB3 palette. And if not, the palette makes switching back and forth a breeze:

You can bring in just the master l/r output or individual tracks:

• @Janosax : I think that you can run Loopy and Loopy HD together on the iPad and not just the iPhone:

I haven’t tried it, but I was able to set it up

• I think this thread makes it very obvious:

AudioBus is a walled Garden!

But it started by creating sledgehammers for the other developers to create openings in the walls so everything can be adjacent to the property and access the "users".

"Now supporting over a thousand Apps." Have you bought one that doesn't? And kept it? (Serious question, that).

We just keep running through the AudioBus Garden and Apple open'ed the "Audio Unit" playground right next door! I love it when a community has effective "commons".

I'm not sure what we'd have without that initial AB garden and the free sledgehammers.

This Forum is also a bit of a Walled Garden. I like to walk through every morning now to catch up on community news.

• edited November 2018

@espiegel123 said:
    @Janosax : I think that you can run Loopy and Loopy HD together on the iPad and not just the iPhone:

I haven’t tried it, but I was able to set it up

Ok that’s cool to know thanks !! :) if I decide myself one day to get an iPad :D

• edited November 2018

@supadom said:
    maybe @Michael could put some light almost in the ideas he’s considering for Loopy MasterPiece or maybe @j_liljedahl is considering add some kind of loop recorder as insert...

...or maybe @Michael should focus on Audiobus masterpiece instead and think of even further Loopy integration where Loopy is basically baked into Audiobus. This way Loopy Pro (masterpiece) ideas are more likely to come true instead of something that might have been the Holy Grail but is in real terms very far away.

Yes, it could be another option but it will need subgroups and other interesting things from AUM. I’m ok with supporting both even when I didn’t use any of them :sweat_smile:
    ITOH AUv3 looper will be useful also for any other hosts.
    Also special mention to Stagelight which could be a solution being loop recorder+song composition+clip launcher... just sayin’...

Just to add the AUv3 idea into this topic (derail but for good purposes) which could be implemented by Audiobus or AUM as internal processor. Excuse the mistake patch.

This one proposes a group bus routing by color selection instead too much menu diving.

Finally this approach talks about multiple audio outputs from GTL into AUM (could be AB3 too) but it could be applicable for any looper app out there (without multiple outputs)

The full GTL topic for anyone interested.
    http://forum.grouptheloop.com/index.php?p=/discussion/190/iphone-version-let-s-talk-again

• edited November 2018

What I’m also searching for, speaking of AUV3 hosts live oriented, is something in which you could build effects racks with ability to toggle between racks presets with PC or midi notes like in VoiceRack FX. I try to do that with AUM and Midifire, but if I remember well @Michael wants to add midi control to Audiobus so that could also do it for me.

• Yup!

Will respond to the rest in a bit - currently got a toddler on my knee!

• @Michael said:
    Yup!

Wow Michael that looks so cool, we need this so much, thanks for that B)

My toddler sleeps deeply in his bed, lucky me I’m in the good time zone :D

• @espiegel123 That was an impressive tutorial, many many thanks!

Things are much cleared now.
    I think, i know enough now to try myself.
    I even got Loopy, in addition to Loopy HD ...

• Have fun! I just got lost in a loopy/AUM session putting together some loops for practicing against. I wish I had realized I could do this months ago.

@tja said:
    @espiegel123 That was an impressive tutorial, many many thanks!

• @espiegel123 said:
    Have fun! I just got lost in a loopy/AUM session putting together some loops for practicing against. I wish I had realized I could do this months ago.

@tja said:
    @espiegel123 That was an impressive tutorial, many many thanks!

Yes, there is much knowledge, but sadly often hidden for others.
    We should have a Wiki for some basic questions and directions, to get some topics more easily started for new members.

• @tja said:

Yes, there is much knowledge, but sadly often hidden for others.
    We should have a Wiki for some basic questions and directions, to get some topics more easily started for new members.

A wiki would be great. The forum has a lot of valuable information but even with patient searching, it is hard to find the most current best info.

• @espiegel123 love Loopy, although not playing with it much currently, BUT have copied your generous screenshot tutorial. Appreciate the effort. Thanks so much.

• @Michael said:
    Yup!

.....and everything ends up on (the wheels on) the bus :)

• @Michael said:
    Yup!

I’ve seen that before not so long ago so excited for the rest in a bit
    Btw feeling happy to see the topic evolving and devs involved :heart:

• edited November 2018

@espiegel123 said:
    What method do you use to record perfectly time loops within AUM? I know how to do it by trimming after recording in AudioShare. Is there another method?

@reasOne said:
    I feel like apr matrix should let you record directly to loopy but I haven't tried it, as you can record perfectly timed loops within AUM

I didn’t feel this was answered fully, but yes, you can record perfect loops in AUM without having to do the trimming thing on existing files.

Basically if the transport is already running and you press ”rec”, it’ll start recording on the next revolution/cycle. If it records and you press ”rec” it will stop recording at the end of the current cycle/revolution. If you combine those two things you’ll get a perfect loop.

Check out AUM manual here on the topic.

http://kymatica.com/aum/help.html#toc68

• @hellquist said:

@espiegel123 said:
    What method do you use to record perfectly time loops within AUM? I know how to do it by trimming after recording in AudioShare. Is there another method?

@reasOne said:
    I feel like apr matrix should let you record directly to loopy but I haven't tried it, as you can record perfectly timed loops within AUM

I didn’t feel this was answered fully, but yes, you can record perfect loops in AUM without having to do the trimming thing on existing files.

Basically if the transport is already running and you press ”rec”, it’ll start recording on the next revolution/cycle. If it records and you press ”rec” it will stop recording at the end of the current cycle/revolution. If you combine those two things you’ll get a perfect loop.

Check out AUM manual here on the topic.

http://kymatica.com/aum/help.html#toc68

Yes, this. Good explanation. Sync Quantum is the setting, and I think it’s turned on by default.

Just to add, if you keep your ‘AUM Recordings’ folder tidy and save your project at the beginning (i.e. give it its own sub-folder - maybe even name the tracks if you like the setup) it can be very quick to set these loops going in the same session. While not instantaneous as OP is after (it takes me 5-10 seconds) it might be workable for some as a composition technique. Good knowledge, anyway.

• @hellquist : Thanks for the tip. That is very helpful to know. That will be just the ticket for some case. For working out ideas seamlessly on the fly, the Loopy/AUM combo is magic, but I can also see using native AUM loop-recording, too.

• @Michael :Really loving Loopy. I have only two wishes for Loopy:

• being able to access the Sessions files from the Files app (for easy access to the recorded loops)
    • option for non-aac recording
  • @espiegel123 said:
    @Michael :Really loving Loopy. I have only two wishes for Loopy:

• being able to access the Sessions files from the Files app (for easy access to the recorded loops)
    • option for non-aac recording

Yes please, yes please :)

• @espiegel123 said:

@reasOne said:

Arm the track for recording by pressing the R in the channel (s) and then press the rec button in the transport.... It will start recoding on the next bar , indicated by the small line in the transport control area.... When you want to stop recording, not immediately, but at the end of the current bar, press the record button again in the transport, not the play button as that stops it immediately, but if you press record it'll stop recording at the end of your current bar

• Whew! Okay, lots to address there -

Good idea on the multi-loop export, and ties in with my plan to do session export anyway. It's in the pipe. Files support is a bit more involved, but when I have a spare brain cell I intend to poke at it and see what I can do; already started looking into it. I have had some thoughts about Audiobus/Loopy crossovers, but they're just idle ponderings right now. Oh, and I'll just go and switch session recording to AIFF, pretty easy to do.

• @Michael said:
    Whew! Okay, lots to address there -

Good idea on the multi-loop export, and ties in with my plan to do session export anyway. It's in the pipe. Files support is a bit more involved, but when I have a spare brain cell I intend to poke at it and see what I can do; already started looking into it. I have had some thoughts about Audiobus/Loopy crossovers, but they're just idle ponderings right now. Oh, and I'll just go and switch session recording to AIFF, pretty easy to do.

Really cool to read this, thanks Michael :)

• Btw, I am working on a few AUM/Loopy tutorial videos. In the process, I confirmed that on an iPad 6th Gen, it is no problem to run 24 loops (12 in Loopy and 12 in Loopy HD). CPU use was under 30% including a Bleass Reverb.

• Here is a rough draft of a tutorial/demo I am working on. There will be a minute or so of overview that will precede this when I get it finished and there will be another short video walking through the setup:

• @espiegel123 said:
    Btw, I am working on a few AUM/Loopy tutorial videos. In the process, I confirmed that on an iPad 6th Gen, it is no problem to run 24 loops (12 in Loopy and 12 in Loopy HD). CPU use was under 30% including a Bleass Reverb.

@espiegel123 said:
    Here is a rough draft of a tutorial/demo I am working on. There will be a minute or so of overview that will precede this when I get it finished and there will be another short video walking through the setup:

Dope stuff man

• @espiegel123 said:
    Here is a rough draft of a tutorial/demo I am working on. There will be a minute or so of overview that will precede this when I get it finished and there will be another short video walking through the setup:

Excellent. Really looking forward to seeing the whole thing as well.