Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM / Kosmonaut Frippertronics style“ Loopstation “ Setup by Martinjneuhold.

May be old news to some, sorry if it is but I can highly recommend this AUM loop station setup inside AUM shown here in the U Tube link by MartinJNeuhold.

Ive had so much fun the last couple of days trying it out using different apps for looping. It’s great for ambient stuff. It’s standard midi CC learn inside AUM so any midi controller with 6/8 knobs will work. Also works great without a controller manually tweaking.

See the u Tube description for the AUM template link.

Comments

• Thanks for posting!

• edited August 2018

I’ve used setups like this for dynamic effects routing before. I think that it can be done a bit more elegantly but nice demo video with cool use case — I was actually a bit disappointed with Kosmonaut (mainly because of no wet/dry control — didn’t really suit my use case) but this made me see it in a different way and revisit it more deeply.

• @OscarSouth said:
    I’ve used routing like this for dynamic effects routing before. I think that it can be done a bit more elegantly but nice demo video with cool use case — I was actually a bit disappointed with Kosmonaut (mainly because of no wet/dry control) but this made me see it in a different way and revisit it more deeply.

How would you do it more elegantly our be interesting to know?

• @Jumpercollins, glad you liked the setup, thanks for sharing it here. I‘d be interested in seeing what you (and others) do with it.
    @OscarSouth I‘d also be interested how it can be done more elegantly...my main aim was to have the possibility to send audio from an input to different Looper channels (without having to press a pedal, since I totally suck at pressing a pedal in time)

• I haven’t done much with this style of routing for a while — I’ll have a play and see what I come up with. I used to have an effects setup which I could move audio through in quite interesting ways or feedback loops (got quite complex and I trimmed it back later).

I’d usually go for this kind of this thing ‘off the cuff’ and then start sketching how I can use less busses or design in more control flexibility or whatever I feel is lacking from the setup at that particular time.

• @OscarSouth said:
    I haven’t done much with this style of routing for a while — I’ll have a play and see what I come up with. I used to have an effects setup which I could move audio through in quite interesting ways or feedback loops (got quite complex and I trimmed it back later).

I’d usually go for this kind of this thing ‘off the cuff’ and then start sketching how I can use less busses or design in more control flexibility or whatever I feel is lacking from the setup at that particular time.

Great be good if you can post any results.

• @OscarSouth said:
    I’ve used setups like this for dynamic effects routing before. I think that it can be done a bit more elegantly but nice demo video with cool use case — I was actually a bit disappointed with Kosmonaut (mainly because of no wet/dry control — didn’t really suit my use case) but this made me see it in a different way and revisit it more deeply.

I've come back around to Kosmonaut, too, for its looping ability. The no wet/dry is a bummer, because I can never get the delays prominent enough when trying to use a Kosmonaut track in a mix.

• @oat_phipps said:

@OscarSouth said:

I've come back around to Kosmonaut, too, for its looping ability. The no wet/dry is a bummer, because I can never get the delays prominent enough when trying to use a Kosmonaut track in a mix.

I have issues using it as a send effect too, because if I’m sending audio from my sending iPad the slightly latency on the dry signal is too noticeable. Wouldn’t be an issue on a 100% wet send effect.

• In this Setup I use Kosmonaut ONLY as a looper (Delay is done by DubStation 2). The possibility to go up to 127 beats (127 beats don’t make sense, of course...it works fine up to 32 beats) and set the amount of decay on the loop makes it perfect for this kind of looping. Until the arrival of RE-1, Kosmonaut was the only AU effect app that could do this (and RE-1 has no decay and only fixed loop lengths of 1,2,4 and 8 bars).

• @OscarSouth said:

@oat_phipps said:

@OscarSouth said:

I have issues using it as a send effect too, because if I’m sending audio from my sending iPad the slightly latency on the dry signal is too noticeable. Wouldn’t be an issue on a 100% wet send effect.

+100 for wet/dry in @brambos Koz...

• @Drümünkey said:

@OscarSouth said:

@oat_phipps said:

@OscarSouth said:

By the way... is Bram something new cooking!? Fresh from the neatherland cuisine !?

• @Martinj said:
    In this Setup I use Kosmonaut ONLY as a looper (Delay is done by DubStation 2). The possibility to go up to 127 beats (127 beats don’t make sense, of course...it works fine up to 32 beats) and set the amount of decay on the loop makes it perfect for this kind of looping. Until the arrival of RE-1, Kosmonaut was the only AU effect app that could do this (and RE-1 has no decay and only fixed loop lengths of 1,2,4 and 8 bars).

So to go past 8 beats, just hook up hardware MIDI, assign it to 'tape length', and crank the knob up?

• @Drümünkey said:

@OscarSouth said:

@oat_phipps said:

@OscarSouth said:

I asked this of the man himself and he let me know that some of the spatial 'circuitry' wouldn't work with a wet/dry blend. I wouldn't mind a 'loop mode' or some such though, where only the loop circuit is sounded and passed through the effects section.

• @OscarSouth said:

@Drümünkey said:

@OscarSouth said:

@oat_phipps said:

@OscarSouth said:

I asked this of the man himself and he let me know that some of the spatial 'circuitry' wouldn't work with a wet/dry blend. I wouldn't mind a 'loop mode' or some such though, where only the loop circuit is sounded and passed through the effects section.

Yea, I guess i can see how wet/dry might sound a little weird with the HAAS effect. Prob. cause some phase cancellations or some other DSP "badness."

• @Martinj said:
    In this Setup I use Kosmonaut ONLY as a looper (Delay is done by DubStation 2). The possibility to go up to 127 beats (127 beats don’t make sense, of course...it works fine up to 32 beats) and set the amount of decay on the loop makes it perfect for this kind of looping. Until the arrival of RE-1, Kosmonaut was the only AU effect app that could do this (and RE-1 has no decay and only fixed loop lengths of 1,2,4 and 8 bars).

Hi Martin, How did you mapped CCs in Kosmonaut? I didnt find a midi learn option, or a list of CCs in the website of the app. Hope you can help. Best regards.

• @omar_soriano said:

@Martinj said:

Hi Martin, How did you mapped CCs in Kosmonaut? I didnt find a midi learn option, or a list of CCs in the website of the app. Hope you can help. Best regards.

Kosmonaut can be fully automated using AU Parameters instead of CC. If you’re using e.g. AUM you can map your MIDI CC to AU Parameters using the MIDI CTRL feature in the menu.
    :)

• @brambos said:

@omar_soriano said:

@Martinj said:

Kosmonaut can be fully automated using AU Parameters instead of CC. If you’re using e.g. AUM you can map your MIDI CC to AU Parameters using the MIDI CTRL feature in the menu.
    :)

That’s exactly how I did it 😊