Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Stroke Machine - I’m starting a cult.

edited November 2018 in General App Discussion

Hey all drum box lovers. Yes, yes I know. Old news and all that but...

Going through all of my cloud drum synth boxes I’ve dug up SeekBeats and StrokeMachine. Wow so.
The former we all know is an absolute treasure and if it was ever to be released as a AUV3 it would be a little game changer...well, maybe not since it already has individual outs for each drum it kind of kills off most of the competition anyway. It has suitably high cpu footprint but it also sounds suitably amazing.

Back to Stroke Machine though.

I just love the way it sounds and all of its routing possibilities. Each sound has its own midi channel? All parameters CC mappable? Have you seen the effect section? Wow.

Do you, SM lovers think there is a chance of this being develop further or maybe released as an AUV3?

I would love to see this as an AU but can imagine it being quite a task. I don’t mean it solely because of the latest AU fad but mostly for reasons of stability, loading etc. Fingers crossed.

Stroke Machine by Wolfram Franke https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/stroke-machine/id773218050?mt=8

Comments

• @supadom , I’m just happy to have the ‘subdued’ display setting working 😀

• @gsm909 said:
    @supadom , I’m just happy to have the ‘subdued’ display setting working 😀

Is it generally stable for you?

• Just redownloaded this morning, runs stable so far in AUM with Grooverider and Noir, no glitches. I’m getting ready to attend a ‘speed awareness course’ , so I’ll maybe have time for a better play later this evening

• edited November 2018

@gsm909 said:
    Just redownloaded this morning, runs stable so far in AUM with Grooverider and Noir, no glitches. I’m getting ready to attend a ‘speed awareness course’ , so I’ll maybe have time for a better play later this evening

Don’t be late as apparently they’re very strict on punctuality. In fact last time I’ve attended one I had to really cane it to be there on time :D

• I absolutely love Stroke Machine's synth engine for its sound, which feels warm and rich to my ears (I like to consider it kind of my virtual Juno 60... it definitely has some character to it) and for its immense flexibility (waveform manipulation, modulation possibilities, everything is MIDI mappable...).

As for seeing a Stroke Machine inspired AUv3 synth... I recently had a chat with Wolfram and he said that he would do it if he had the time, but he's too busy right now making plug-ins for Tracktion, "but maybe in the future, must see".

• @janogarcia said:
    I absolutely love Stroke Machine's synth engine for its sound, which feels warm and rich to my ears ...

yes, it's quality is outstanding - as are the options (immediately available) to set the level just right.

• Stroke Machine <3
    One of the Greats!

• Yes, for me probably still the best drum synth and would be used a lot more if AU :)

Strangely the recent update didn't fix it for me and it's crashing, but emailed Wolfram and he's on it.....

• @gsm909 said:

Yep, finally 👍🏼

@supadom said:

@gsm909 said:

Is it generally stable for you?

The built-in keyboard does not work properly at the bottom (i.e. high velocities), otherwise it seems to work quite well.

• I love this app and need to spend more time with it.

• I remember commenting on another stroke machine thread asking people to explain why they love it so much. I finally caved and realized the sound and design capabilities really do outweigh the 80s Tron interface.

• @Telefunky said:

@janogarcia said:
    I absolutely love Stroke Machine's synth engine for its sound, which feels warm and rich to my ears ...

yes, it's quality is outstanding - as are the options (immediately available) to set the level just right.

I think this (one page edit) with a decent sound that comes out of it that makes me like it so much. I’ve just bought Noir and I’m rather disappointed. I expected it be be like the rest of the line only to find out I need several instances to get the full kit. This makes editing a nightmare, moving from instance to instance etc.

• edited November 2018

@DCJ said:
    I remember commenting on another stroke machine thread asking people to explain why they love it so much. I finally caved and realized the sound and design capabilities really do outweigh the 80s Tron interface.

Yeah, I had a bit of a WTF moment when I first opened it. After a little fiddle it went up to the cloud. Now that I’ve just bought McMillen’s BopPad I’m finding it to be the best synthesised drum partner for it in the whole iOS. That’s pretty amazing for an app released when iPad 3 was the cat’s pyjamas.

• Stroke Machine and Attack make great fodder for BeatHawk, which is AUv3 :)

• edited November 2018

@Carnbot said:
    Yes, for me probably still the best drum synth and would be used a lot more if AU :)

Strangely the recent update didn't fix it for me and it's crashing, but emailed Wolfram and he's on it.....

Nice one. I get a random sounds out of nowhere but not sure whether it is this app or the BopPad I’m using to trigger it. I’ll try to clean all midi assignments before contacting the dev.

• I drank the KoolAid on this one long ago.

• That 'subdued' business is still pretty damn-neon-nightclub-hangover-in-the-morning though...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    That 'subdued' business is still pretty damn-neon-nightclub-hangover-in-the-morning though...

Fortunately/Unfortunately those times are more rose-tinted now, rather than the unhealthy pallor of the alternative UI.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    That 'subdued' business is still pretty damn-neon-nightclub-hangover-in-the-morning though...

I can live with neon blushed goods if right kind of frequencies tickle my sacrum.

• Now I know why I love Stroke Machine! It’s so similar to Impaktor. Basically with BopPad connected to it is like having 4 Impaktors across 4 pads. There are no resonator models etc but it makes up for it with clarity of sound. This makes me look even more forward to Drambo or whatever that monster is going to be called.

Being able to assign any parameter to velocity is genius for a percussive instrument and having 4 times as many parameters to choose from makes my head spin.

One thing though. I have a random note just self trigger out of nowhere while playing. It comes at max velocity and takes no prisoners. I’ve turned all of the additional midi messages on the BopPad, exclusive midi channel etc, but it is still happening. Seems absolutely random.

Anyone else having this?

• Anyone else seen this? Happened after the update, I’ve deleted and redownloaded but still having the same issue.

• @Mmmwahaha said:
    Anyone else seen this? Happened after the update, I’ve deleted and redownloaded but still having the same issue.

This happened to me on the last but two updates, but it's weird different ipads are having different issues for different updates. You should contact Wolfram info(at)frankemusic.de

• edited November 2018

@Mmmwahaha
    I’m not having this happen, but it may be due to device or iOS?

Either way, Definitely worth reaching out to Wolfram Franke
    One reason I’ve loved this app for so long is that he’s quite responsive to emails (the last hotfix came within 24 hours of sending him analytics)
    [email protected]

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @Mmmwahaha
    I’m not having this happen, but it may be due to device or iOS?

Either way, Definitely worth reaching out to Wolfram Franke
    One reason I’ve loved this app for so long is that he’s quite responsive to emails (the last hotfix came within 24 hours of sending him analytics)
    [email protected]

I have an air 2 on 12 with step grid missing. All good on 10.5 12 though. Weirdness.

• @Mmmwahaha said:
    Anyone else seen this? Happened after the update, I’ve deleted and redownloaded but still having the same issue.

I have the same thing on air 2 but all good on 10.5. Both iOS 12

• Same here air 1 with ios 12. Anyway, it's an awesome drum machine. I remember people not liking it though on here cuz of the GUI mainly. I always though it sounded awesome.

• @paradiddle said:
    Same here air 1 with ios 12. Anyway, it's an awesome drum machine. I remember people not liking it though on here cuz of the GUI mainly. I always though it sounded awesome.

On previous iOS versions, Stroke Machine has always been one of my favorites.
    I didn't worry about the neon art design as soon as the subdued UI variant appeared, that one looked good enough to me.

But now on a recent iOS version, how can an app be awesome when essential UI elements are missing?
    How are you even using it properly?
    This looks even worse than my keyboard velocity issue!

• I would love to see an update of this.... at least Ableton Link O
    Latest version on my 2018 ios11 ipad is working good.

• @bresk said:
    I would love to see an update of this.... at least Ableton Link O
    Latest version on my 2018 ios11 ipad is working good.

Can you play long notes on the bottom of the melodic keyboard?

• Yes I know, it's all messed up now on my air 1 so I can't use. Waiting for a fix.

@rs2000 said:

@paradiddle said:
    Same here air 1 with ios 12. Anyway, it's an awesome drum machine. I remember people not liking it though on here cuz of the GUI mainly. I always though it sounded awesome.

On previous iOS versions, Stroke Machine has always been one of my favorites.
    I didn't worry about the neon art design as soon as the subdued UI variant appeared, that one looked good enough to me.

But now on a recent iOS version, how can an app be awesome when essential UI elements are missing?
    How are you even using it properly?
    This looks even worse than my keyboard velocity issue!