Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Octatrack + iPad Sessions

So it begins. For the next several months i plan to use the Elektron Octatrack MKII exclusively with Korg Electribe Wave with the intent of creating a new EP or album. Along the way i am going to provide glimpses into the creative process.

The postings will be a mix of photos, videos, snapshots of loops and blips and miscellaneous moments during the journey.

For today, though it’s been a busy day with the boys, i was able to capture a few minutes of something I’ve been noodling with over the last several days.

Let me know if this sounds interesting or if there’s something specific you’d like to see. This is all rather new to me...exposing the process to a final build. I do it daily at work so hopefully the journey in music will be similar.

Many thanks in advance for your time and patience during this process.

Cheers.

Installment 1
It started with a few loops of probability:

Comments

• edited November 2018

Cool! Following thread with interest. 👍

BTW, dId the KORG controller automatically map to KEW?

• Really interesting idea. I’m always interested in others processes. Curious to see the final product as well. Happy travels!

• @SpookyZoo @waynerowand thanks for the curiosity. The Korg controller maps directly to KEW so the encoders allow you to tweak certain parameters in the app

• @echoopera said:
    @SpookyZoo @waynerowand thanks for the curiosity. The Korg controller maps directly to KEW so the encoders allow you to tweak certain parameters in the app

Cool. I’ve not got KEW, but I have the nanoKontrol Controller. Maybe I’ll pair them up in future.

Nice start to the music btw.

• I always find it exciting to combine hardware with software.
    In your case, you're free to either use KEW's internal sequencer and sync it to the OT via MIDI clock, or sequence everything from the OT over MIDI. Both are useful options, like starting out with your first standalone KEW patterns on the couch and later add some organic samples with the OT.
    I wish you lots of fun and good sampling sources :)

• No use of scenes - the Octatrack's most powerful and unique feature! I'd say that for this type of melodic sequencing without sample mangling, in hardware an MPC500 / 1000 would be preferable - more polyphony, midi file import export - even better MPC or Command Station with rack sampler. - akai z or EMU ultra. Would cost less than an OT.

• Yep. Will be exploiting more features of gear over time. Love using the OT for crazy sampling and will showcase more. Thanks for feedback 🙏🏼

• Tip:
    You can map midi controls on OTs midi page, and use it as controller/p-lock values on additional patterns to create variations or use trig condition 'fill' to spice it up.

• Excited to see your first live video @echoopera !👍
    I’m very interested to see your workflow exploring KEW, looking forward to see more...

In this Video you use OT just for sequencing KEW or also for (drum)sounds? Which bpm you normally use for your ambient tracks so far?

I’m curious what comes next from you. I think this will be an interesting thread! 😊

• edited November 2018

@recccp said:
    Tip:
    You can map midi controls on OTs midi page, and use it as controller/p-lock values on additional patterns to create variations or use trig condition 'fill' to spice it up.

Yep. But with KEW the OT mapping affects all channels at once. I’m using the Korg controller since it only affects the selected synth (part of the special sauce Korg has with their controllers). This allows me to only noodle the cutoff for the lead synth instead of affecting the cutoff for all synths.

Hopefully a new update will resolve Midi Learn being global and make it per channel instead.

• @chandroji said:
    Excited to see your first live video @echoopera !👍
    I’m very interested to see your workflow exploring KEW, looking forward to see more...

In this Video you use OT just for sequencing KEW or also for (drum)sounds? Which bpm you normally use for your ambient tracks so far?

Using it to sequence and add Delay and Reverb to the audio coming into the OT. I’m doing 65bpm on this one.

I’m curious what comes next from you. I think this will be an interesting thread! 😊

Thanks. It should be a fun process. 👊🏼™️

• Very cool. Interested. Any reason you chose kew for this project? Haven’t even read much about it because i have 3-4 different methods at the moment that work and that i enjoy so don’t want to necessarily go down another rabit hole. You prefer kew to gadget for example? Why?

• edited November 2018

@vpich said:
    Very cool. Interested. Any reason you chose kew for this project? Haven’t even read much about it because i have 3-4 different methods at the moment that work and that i enjoy so don’t want to necessarily go down another rabit hole. You prefer kew to gadget for example? Why?

Thanks for chiming in. I dunno. For some reason KEW just seems to click with me. Over the last couple months it has been my go to tool for creation. Maybe it’s a phase or maybe it has legs...either way I’m sticking with it for this project so we’ll see where it goes.

If you’re interested you can hear work i created using it here on SoundCloud:
    https://soundcloud.com/policarpo-wood/sets/korg-electribe-wave

• Heard the tracks. They sound good. Let me know when you start putting the videos together, always interested in octatrack plus anything.

• Here's some additional work...today at lunch the light in the sky and the chill in the air allowed me to settle into a bit of a mood.

• How's this going? :)

• @SpookyZoo said:
    How's this going? :)

Was wondering the same! This is precisely the kind of project that is a complete win-won for the spectator: The Man either forges ahead, day after day, waving his arms at time, enduring, relentless, and thus is an inspiration to those of us soft fiddling on the shore OR The Man collapses into his ratty sofa after a few short days and thus is order properly restored amongst the weak and all is well.

• edited November 2018

Hahah. I’ve gotten a little sidetracked with StageLight to be honest. And I’m fighting an upper respitory infection so I’m operating on power saving mode.

Thanks for the inquiry though. Much appreciated 🙏🏼

• @echoopera said:
    Hahah. I’ve gotten a little sidetracked with StageLight to be honest. And I’m fighting an upper respitory infection so I’m operating on power saving mode.

Thanks for the inquiry though. Much appreciated 🙏🏼

• Hahaha. Love it. 👊🏼™️🤪

• edited November 2018

@echoopera said:
    Hahaha. Love it. 👊🏼™️🤪

:) Good.

Quick Korg Wave (no doubt stupidly simple) question oh Master of the KEW....when in a sequence and liking the pattern playing on one synth (S2), say a bass, and wanting to duplicate the exact same sequence to another (S3) so it could be doubled with, say, a piano.....how so?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@echoopera said:
    Hahaha. Love it. 👊🏼™️🤪

Quick Korg Wave (no doubt stupidly simple) question oh Master of the KEW....when in a sequence and liking the pattern playing on one synth (S2), say a bass, and wanting to duplicate the exact same sequence to another (S3) so it could be doubled with, say, a piano.....how so?

Go to the utility page...you can copy tracks and bars around in there ;)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@echoopera said:
    Hahaha. Love it. 👊🏼™️🤪

SHOUTS: TOLD YOU IT STUPIDLY SIMPLE!

(Whispers: Thank you sir :) )

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@echoopera said:
    Hahaha. Love it. 👊🏼™️🤪

SHOUTS: TOLD YOU IT STUPIDLY SIMPLE!

(Whispers: Thank you sir :) )

That utility screen is pretty useful....transpose can be found in there too ;)

• Well what do you do when the meds have the opposite affect and keep you up instead of putting you to sleep?

Well...you break out Korg Electribe Wave and hope something coherent emerges 🤪

• And then you continue to push it a little further:

• Is this all KEW? It’s lush!

• @waynerowand said:
    Is this all KEW? It’s lush!

Yes sir. 100%

• @echoopera said:
    And then you continue to push it a little further:

Great stuff! 😊 Well done @echoopera !
    The video fits well in the music. You are getting better and better, love it! 👍

As I understand you use the OT here as a sequencer for KEW?
    So KEW provides just the sounds? Or do you still sequence in KEW?

• @echoopera said:
    And then you continue to push it a little further:

Wonderful! Love it!

Great backdrop to the relaxing music. Super impressed.

Where did you source the timelapse stuff?