Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cannot get iSem to load into the effects slot.

Hi there,

I cannot get Audiobus to recognise Arturia iSem in the effects slot. I have the latest version of both iSem and AB and iOS. Using an Air.

iSem appears as an effect under the compatible apps list and loads fine into the input slot, but if I load it as an effect I am taken to the AppStore. I have tried launching iSem first, launching AB first, rebooting iPad. No luck.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Pretty sure it's nit an effects capable app.

• @bennorland said:

iSem appears as an effect under the compatible apps list

No, it does not.

How did you get it into that position? Maybe from a shared preset?

• i didn't even know that you can use iSem in the effect slot.Could be a bug because it doesn't show up in my list of AB effect.I'm using the latest versions and iOS 7.1

• off-but-sorta-on-topic: Interviews with Tom Oberheim re: Sem http://www.wiretotheear.com/2009/10/24/interview-with-tom-oberheim/ I didn't realize he had started production of hardware again: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/Tom_Oberheim

• Yes, it was a shared preset. Via Twitter, I was searching under #abpreset.

Actually the behaviour with loads via Twitter is getting weirder. Launching presets from the Twitter app is causing me to get sent to the AppStore to purchase Audiobus (!!!) even when I have AB running. V strange.

• @Crabman said:

i didn't even know that you can use iSem in the effect slot.Could be a bug because it doesn't show up in my list of AB effect.I'm using the latest versions and iOS 7.1

It would definitely be a bug if that happened.

• edited April 2014

Actually now iSem is refusing to appear in the input slot. I'll try another reboot.

• It's certainly to do with preset loading.

This has just happened.
    1. Reboot iPad
    2. Launch AB load iSem as input - this is fine
    3. Load a preset with iSem as input and Audiobus has the "go to AppStore" message in the input slot
    4. I can even load a normal instance of iSem in a different pipeline alongside the instance telling me to go to the App Store. See photo.

• Always use a condom guys...

• edited April 2014

I do think opening presets from Twitter might be something to check. I am opening via the official Twitter app and (as far as I can tell) every first time I click on the "open preset in Audiobus" button I get sent to the AppStore to purchase AB. If I return to Twitter then I get an iOS "open in" dialogue and that opens the preset as expected. I assume the problem must be in the Twitter app, so perhaps nothing can be done. Perhaps I'll try Twitter via a browser, or a different client?

Edit: The problem doesn't seem to appear when using Twitter from the browser. Presumably the Twitter app is at fault?

2nd Edit: I suspect that the preset in question doesn't actually use iSem in the effects slot, but that somehow my installation is getting confused. This was the preset that I tried and that stared all my confusions: http://t.co/GGBgko56dV Anyone care to try it (@PaulB 's warning notwithstanding)

• I've done a tiny bit more testing. For some reason, when I load any preset that contains an app that I do not own, AB is "seeing" that preset as an instance of iSem. Which is mildly annoying but not the end of the world.

Is this a bug?

• Very interesting. We're having a look at that.

• @bennorland said:

Is this a bug?

Definitely. Thanks for pointing it out.

• Bug fixed, new version of Audiobus is waiting for review from Apple.

• Wow that was fast. Thanks.

• @Sebastian said:

Bug fixed, new version of Audiobus is waiting for review from Apple.

Watch out, too many updates, some devs may be upset ;)

• @supadom said:

Watch out, too many updates, some devs may be upset ;)

I know you're joking here, but just to clarify, Audiobus app updates (for users) are different than Audiobus SDK updates (for developers). An issue can be fixed via an Audiobus app update without requiring other devs to update their own apps.

• Exactly. Thanks for the clarification. :)

• @busker said:

@supadom said:
    I know you're joking here, but just to clarify, Audiobus app updates (for users) are different than Audiobus SDK updates (for developers). An issue can be fixed via an Audiobus app update without requiring other devs to update their own apps.

Why?

• edited April 2014

Because Audiobus has two parts: the app itself and a software development (the SDK) kit that has to be included in third party applications. If we have a bug that can be fixed by just updating the Audiobus app itself it's not a big deal. If we create a bug that is in the SDK then every app with that version of the SDK has to update to a newer one.

Basically it means we can never make any mistakes in the SDK.

• Thanks for clarification :)

• You're very welcome.

• Cool, learned something new today.