Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Polyphonic Synths: UNDER $900

Ideas or things you own.

Checking his list....checking it twice........

Comments

• edited November 2018

I own a KingKorg, which of course isn‘t „the real thing“ for many purists, but it is very very versatile and I use it on live gigs (classic rock stuff).

• @LeonKowalski said:
    I own a KingKorg, which of course isn‘t „the real thing“ for many purists, but it is very very versatile and I use it on live gigs (classic rock stuff).

It's funny but I've like going to watch 80s bands and none of them use the 'real thing' live so I guess if it's good enough for them...

• I’ve got three Matrix 1000 units in the attic, awaiting a time I can dig them out (buried under lots of stuff with Roland SH-09 and CSQ-600 on top) to implant the 1.20 firmware and give the batteries another check (weren’t leaking last time I looked). They’re hexaphonic and have a mode where I can use a guitar to midi unit to drive six consecutive midi channels independently per string.

BTW, anyone with vintage gear – check the internal batteries if applicable!

• edited November 2018

A mint, used DSI Prophet 08, perhaps https://reverb.com/item/15601106-dave-smith-instruments-prophet-08-pe-synthesizer-module

or a new Studiologic Sledge (I looked at this but it was too large for my available space)

• Well, does paraphonic count? Listen to these ocillators!!!! I love the sound of this synth and golly gee that matrix would keep one busy for a fornight, fortnite? Anyhow ... good fun with Nick Batt.

• edited November 2018

I thought of that Pulse 2 - you can get one used for a more reasonable price. I almost did. But it's actually kind of limited, if I remember, and the paraphonic part only applied to square waves or something. Or it was digital not analog when paraphonic. Something odd.

Honestly, the 2 I posted are among the best in the range as far as everything I've read. I was doing a TON of research, before scaling back the price range.

The Prophet is analog, the Sledge 2 is a very-analog sounding digital (it's a Waldorf sound engine but controlled more through a Moog-ish layout rather than the matrix).

• Waldorf blofeld keyboard. Versatile, fat, aggressive, can sound very "analog" and very "digital", whatever you want it to.
    You can import your own wavetables and up to 60MB of your own samples if that's not enough.

• @cyberheater said:

@LeonKowalski said:

It's funny but I've like going to watch 80s bands and none of them use the 'real thing' live so I guess if it's good enough for them...

My band plays stuff from the 60s to the 90s, and that little synth can easily cover all that except the pianos and tonewheel organs, which I have other gear for.

• edited November 2018

Sledge or Deep Mind. Have heard good about both from people I respect. Go to the store and try them out. And change back from your $1k.

• Deluge has built in synth engines, and so much more!

• Diva + Serum + midi controller

• Real thing in hardware under 1000€....maybe the only new and versatile option is Novation Peak if you want new gear

• Minilouge all the way.....even some cash leftover for a nice reverb pedal

• @u0421793 said:
    BTW, anyone with vintage gear – check the internal batteries if applicable!

Good tip.
    Also, it’s good to switch them on once in a while.
    I left the JP-8000 switched off for a few months and the cheap crappy capacitors leaked.
    Now it sounds horrible.

• Alesis Ion, ms2000, blofeld...all great VA synths, much more versatile than the "real" thing

• @breilly said:
    Minilouge all the way.....even some cash leftover for a nice reverb pedal

yeeeeep, minilogue+ ventris dual reverb pedal and create a new genre
    or anything and a ventris pedal for that matter

• edited November 2018

Roland SH-01A and JU-06. I have both and they sound amazing, both 4-voice. I also have a MicroMonsta, nice little 8-voice synth.

• I’m very fond of my Roland Gaia which I got for £300 second hand. Very versatile and great sound.

• If you don’t need a keyboard, check out AudioThingie’s Micromonsta. Amazing little beast.

• Anti-Minilogue here! Don't do it! If you want to know why I will be glad to go into it, but I feel like I have a lot of times before on this forum.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Anti-Minilogue here! Don't do it! If you want to know why I will be glad to go into it, but I feel like I have a lot of times before on this forum.

I played one for a short while in a store, those keys are awful. I couldn’t deal with that alone.

• As for the Sledge, I had one once, it sounds kind of thin sounding but isn’t bad. It is kind of large, it’s a bit harder to find a case that fits it, it doesn’t fit well on a lot of tiered keyboard stands. When I got the Sledge I was debating getting an iPad instead. I didn’t get the iPad, I regretted it, got an iPad, and sold the Sledge.

• edited November 2018

Sledge v2 is supposed to be a noticeable upgrade over v1 - not sure which you had. shrug

I'd probably get the Prophet. Or try a Pulse2 + Micromonsta. Hmm.

• I'm gonna chime in my support for the Micromonsta. It's the absolute best for the money. It's crazy what this little thing is capable of.

• def get one of these

• @LeonKowalski said:

It is a fantastic sounding synth. I just wish it had the synth controls and effects controls positions switched.

• Minilogue is cool if you can pick one up cheap. It's basically a 4 voice poly ARP...

The keys are a sin but you can chop them off if space or just the fact they're there is a concern.

• Oh, I probably should also have mentioned you should be able to get a used Access Virus TI Snow for under $900 as well.

• @syrupcore said:

@LeonKowalski said:

It is a fantastic sounding synth. I just wish it had the synth controls and effects controls positions switched.

yes right. no problem for me, as I don’t make synth music, but rock music with presets that I tweak in advance, but for the live knob twisters it‘s a bit awkward indeed.

• @LeonKowalski said:

@syrupcore said:

@LeonKowalski said:

yes right. no problem for me, as I don’t make synth music, but rock music with presets that I tweak in advance, but for the live knob twisters it‘s a bit awkward indeed.

Not that I'm complaining. I bought it used from some 20-year-old that got it as a gift from his grandma and didn't want it because it didn't have one button dub step master maker controls, bro. For 200 bucks (with a case and shitty practice amp). :)