Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best sample slicer apps

Hey..

Doing a bit of research on what's out there. I've used Blocs Waves but don't find it incredibly inspiring. I'm looking for something where you basically import a long loop and then you can trigger all the slices in a keyboard/launch pad style interface.

Thanks!

Comments

• This is exciting :)

Check Egoist, ReSlice and Samplr for starters.

Good luck Alex!

• Samplist is really cool too. Manual slicing though.

• Although it’s capable of much more, BM3 is hands down the best sampler. I highly recommend Egoist also.

• Sector’s worth a look for some inspiration.

• I think we're imagining something a bit like these with the simplicity of blocs wave. Similar to our original Junglator but with more stylistic breadth and recording layers.

Of course with some Studio Amplify magic on top

ヽ(⌐■_■)ノ♪♬

• I think an auv3 version of a single pad or bank in BM3 would be awesome.

• @gmslayton said:
    I think an auv3 version of a single pad or bank in BM3 would be awesome.

Hell yeah.

• @gmslayton said:

Yes!

• Yep. AU from the get go would be great. Awesome to see you guys getting busy on iOS. KRFT is such a great app. You obviously have buckets of talent.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@gmslayton said:

Yes!

This right here.

• @gusgranite said:
    Yep. AU from the get go would be great. Awesome to see you guys getting busy on iOS. KRFT is such a great app. You obviously have buckets of talent.

How would you use a beatmaker as an AU exactly? Wouldn't you just export the stems and then add to your DAW?

If someone has a video of an example of this work flow that'd be very useful.

We're planning to build this app in a month so we'll see what makes into the final cut and then add more as we go.

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    We need to get this guy to build a slap chop audio app

https://image.11street.my//editorImg/2016/11/18/2016111816351853474.jpg

All in favour of calling the app SlapChop..

• Quanta, Tardigrain and AudioLayer are worth a look too.

• edited November 2018

Spacecraft! I could imagine some sort of transient detection in it and step fx yum yum... oh wait that is Egoist.

• edited November 2018

@Alex fox said:

@gusgranite said:
    Yep. AU from the get go would be great. Awesome to see you guys getting busy on iOS. KRFT is such a great app. You obviously have buckets of talent.

How would you use a beatmaker as an AU exactly? Wouldn't you just export the stems and then add to your DAW?

If someone has a video of an example of this work flow that'd be very useful.

We're planning to build this app in a month so we'll see what makes into the final cut and then add more as we go.

You will get different opinions on this but for those of us who have gone the ‘all AU apps within a host’ route, the benefits are:

Parameters exposed for midi modulation.
    State saving so no need to individually save patches. Just save the session and all apps state saved.
    Less crashes.
    Full screen AU.
    Let the host do all the work when it comes to Ableton Link and midi sync etc.
    [Edit: run multiple copies as well of course]

Many people here and on the FB iOS Musicians group are only buying AU apps these days.

Not everyone though so it’s a healthy discussion! 👍

• Spacecraft and Quanta are very compelling. Is it possible to make rhythmic and melodic music with these? Spacecraft just looks like something everyone should have. Has anyone come across anything soulful, melodic, groovey, hip hop, or rump shaking made in either of these?

• @WillieNegus said:
    Spacecraft and Quanta are very compelling. Is it possible to make rhythmic and melodic music with these? Spacecraft just looks like something everyone should have. Has anyone come across anything soulful, melodic, groovey, hip hop, or rump shaking made in either of these?

Spacecraft is really good for rhythmic stuff, as well as soundscapes. I’ve made complete tracks just with this one app.

• Yes, Spacecraft, Egoist, Reslice, AudioLayer are all AUv3 workflows that are worth looking at.

• @MonzoPro said:

@WillieNegus said:
    Spacecraft and Quanta are very compelling. Is it possible to make rhythmic and melodic music with these? Spacecraft just looks like something everyone should have. Has anyone come across anything soulful, melodic, groovey, hip hop, or rump shaking made in either of these?

Spacecraft is really good for rhythmic stuff, as well as soundscapes. I’ve made complete tracks just with this one app.

Would be so cool to hit ‘analyse transients’ and turn on snap so that it jumps between transients as you scrub the waveform.

• +1 for reslice......i didnt gel with quanta but wish i did 😟

• @MonzoPro said:

@WillieNegus said:

Thanks. Been on the fence with this one for awhile.

• @WillieNegus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@WillieNegus said:

Thanks. Been on the fence with this one for awhile.

One of my favourite apps of the year so far, great fun.

• Quanta has more of a subtractive synth workflow imo, pretty far from what I think of as a sample slicer.

Besides the excellent suggestions above, you might get a kick out of E-l-s-a. She is a strange creature, with a bit of a lofi vibe. But she can do all sorts of musical things to longer samples, and allows for different sample settings (start point, pitch, etc) per key or per octave so it’s easy to set her up to play different slices from a same sample. She’s also super cheap...

• wimwim
    edited November 2018

If you just ignore everything else about BM3 but the sampler/slicer and the pads, that’s what I’d like to see as an AUv3.

• Load samples directly to pads (with pitch zones and velocity layers.
    • Slice samples with transient detection, with option to auto-save slices to pads.
    • Sample accurate audio editor with at least trim and fade in/out.
    • Real-time audio stretch
    • As many automatable parameters as possible per pad / sample. (Envelope, filter, sample start / end, fine and coarse tuning, reverse etc.
    • Loop points.
    • Accept and save AIFF or acidized files with bpm and slice markers.
    • Pads can be opened up to keys mode and be played chromatically.
    • Scales support for keys mode
    • Midi in and out with selectable channel per pad.
    • Etc, etc, etc.
  • If you haven't seen @gmslayton's recent video demo of BeatMaker 3's transient detection, do so. It has me contemplating getting BM3 which I had really hoped not to do as I have too many apps for the time that I have already -- but the beat slicing and ability to export to other apps that can read loops (like BeatHawk and GarageBand) is very tempting.

• I'd suggest not to re-invent the wheel and use what is tried, true, and tested.
    also remember that beatslicing is an instrument unto itself and that is where it's popularity has come from, it's not just a feature so having a self contained option in addition to an au option is vital.

• basically if you create serato sample as an app and add to that elektron style p. locks and conditional trigs and probability you'll have a run-away success of an app.

• I’ll second Reslice and Samplist.