Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Will Camelot Pro Be like MainStage for iOS?

2»

Comments

• @rs2000 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Haven't> @Jumpercollins said:

Had a email in today about the beta update. Looks like the desktop version is out but unclear how to get it. It’s telling me to go to the audio modelling customer portal but after register and signing in not seeing Camelot listed anyone else had the email and tried ? Is it Mac only or PC?

Haven't tried it but I am putting the iOS version through the paces. Few issues to work out but this one could def be the mainstage for iPad that live players have been looking for.

Interesting. The web page doesn't say anything about the included sample library and synths. Looks more like a successor to "OnSong" from what I understand.

Ah, yes. Good clarification. I'm not interested in the sample library and synths--just the ability to use my existing AU apps in a GUI based around multi-part songs. So, more like OnSong indeed. Note that it's AUv3 plugins only at this point.

• Well, here’s an interesting bit of info:

• Looks like there's going to be some more sorting out of the wheat from the chaff....

• Camelot. Camelot. CAMELOT!

• it’s only a model *

Is there no insert effects? I think I’ll stick with AUM, since I can easily load 20 channels, play everything and just mute what I don’t need.

• It took them a while to figure out how to do the scene changes (between parts of a song) without audio drop-outs on iOS but it works smoothly now. I can control a whole setlist with 4 CCs (prev/next scene; prev/next song). Could even get down to 2 CCs with just "next" buttons. Pretty slick, especially if you don't want to stare at a screen between tunes.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    It took them a while to figure out how to do the scene changes (between parts of a song) without audio drop-outs on iOS but it works smoothly now. I can control a whole setlist with 4 CCs (prev/next scene; prev/next song). Could even get down to 2 CCs with just "next" buttons. Pretty slick, especially if you don't want to stare at a screen between tunes.

If you were asked to describe what it is (what it's best at?) in a few words, what would you say?

• edited November 2018

It's a richly midi-controllable song/part preset-maker and setlist-maker, aimed squarely at the live musician. Walk into a gig, fire up an iPad and a controller and play.

AB3 will still have a considerable edge in terms of compatible apps and features when @Michael rolls out the MIDI support he has been working on (including MIDI controllable preset selection) but Camelot has some slick UI for easily drag/drop of songs in a setlist.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    It's a richly midi-controllable song/part preset-maker and setlist-maker, aimed squarely at the live musician. Walk into a gig, fire up an iPad and a controller and play.

AB3 will still have a considerable edge in terms of compatible apps and features when @Michael rolls out the MIDI support he has been working on (including MIDI controllable preset selection) but Camelot has some slick UI for easily drag/drop of songs in a setlist.

What I love about Camelot is the fact that I can control song (or scene) changes from my controller keyboard with each one loading a different plug-in configuration. Haven’t been able to find anything else on iOS that will do that via MIDI cc. And it sends MIDI clock at different tempos per scene/song. A must have for anyone syncing their apps with a Nord Stage.

• edited December 2018

The release date is in 12th December 2018. $18.99 intro price.

• edited December 2018

Mmmm... I thought it was only for iOS but it’s crossplatform!

This changes everything. Now it only needs implement some synth/sampler engine by itself instead just rely on others (or use it with audio workstation) and probably will steal some Mainstage users for sure.

I need to see it working on windows tablet (to ditch Logic Remote from the equation).

I’m interested!

• Finally it's arrived in apple store. Has anyone bought it?

• Can anyone speak to the hardware synth integration? Do you do Sysex dump of your patch, and Camelot keeps it with you song? Or is it just a program change message? Could be a handy way to recall combi’s with iOS and a hardware synth.

• @Processaurus said:
    Can anyone speak to the hardware synth integration? Do you do Sysex dump of your patch, and Camelot keeps it with you song? Or is it just a program change message? Could be a handy way to recall combi’s with iOS and a hardware synth.

It’s a program change message. Works with my Nord Stage 3, although they don’t technically have that model programmed into Camelot Pro yet. You can attach just about any CC message to a set, song, or scene (song part). Camelot Pro also successfully sent tempo changes to the Nord so the built-in delay and arpeggiator would match tempo of each song/scene.

• Any further experiences using this live with iOS? I'm looking at it as a potential Mainstage replacement myself, so I could just run the software side of my rig from my iPad instead of my MacBook. The setlist/song/scene layout seems great, along with plugin windows, customizable chart view, layers/splits, etc.

What I'm concerned about is the ability to fine-tune MIDI scaling and offset amount (important for using, say, Moog Model D with my Seaboard), as well as some other non-essentials that I like about Mainstage, like panning layers. I've messed around with the desktop demo, but it's hard to know how it will behave with auv3 apps...

• @samuelblupowitz said:
    Any further experiences using this live with iOS? I'm looking at it as a potential Mainstage replacement myself, so I could just run the software side of my rig from my iPad instead of my MacBook. The setlist/song/scene layout seems great, along with plugin windows, customizable chart view, layers/splits, etc.

What I'm concerned about is the ability to fine-tune MIDI scaling and offset amount (important for using, say, Moog Model D with my Seaboard), as well as some other non-essentials that I like about Mainstage, like panning layers. I've messed around with the desktop demo, but it's hard to know how it will behave with auv3 apps...

I know it's not a full-fledged replacement but have you had a closer look at AudioLayer and its preset management which is said to switch seamlessly?
    For gigging live, I wouldn't mind relying on samples completely.

• @samuelblupowitz said:
    Any further experiences using this live with iOS? I'm looking at it as a potential Mainstage replacement myself, so I could just run the software side of my rig from my iPad instead of my MacBook. The setlist/song/scene layout seems great, along with plugin windows, customizable chart view, layers/splits, etc.

I'm in the Camelot beta and there's a lot to like about the experience. The setlist and scenes all make sense intuitively and the workflow is quick as a result. Unfortunately I have found the app to be buggy and it causes me to be cautious about using live right now. The AUv3 plug ins disappear sometimes (white screen only) and I do get occasional crashes. FWIW, I'm using AudioLayer with MidiFire for my live rig and it's been rock solid.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@samuelblupowitz said:

I'm in the Camelot beta and there's a lot to like about the experience. The setlist and scenes all make sense intuitively and the workflow is quick as a result. Unfortunately I have found the app to be buggy and it causes me to be cautious about using live right now. The AUv3 plug ins disappear sometimes (white screen only) and I do get occasional crashes. FWIW, I'm using AudioLayer with MidiFire for my live rig and it's been rock solid.

@lukesleepwalker, Did you notice any problem using Audiolayer? If I have a two scenes and the second one is an AudioLayer with high memory requirements (like a >512MB piano), every time a change the scenes I have a long delay until I hear the sound.

• @lano said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@samuelblupowitz said:

@lukesleepwalker, Did you notice any problem using Audiolayer? If I have a two scenes and the second one is an AudioLayer with high memory requirements (like a >512MB piano), every time a change the scenes I have a long delay until I hear the sound.

Yes, while I saw some improvements in performance over the course of the beta, loading big AudioLayer scenes either caused an unacceptable lag or a crash. I suspect it's a tough thing on iOS to manage scenes like this. I've noted that loading presets with the new MIDI learn features in AudioBus 3 can take a while in some cases. I am interested to see if @Michael figures out how to do "scenes" within a preset without a big performance hit in AudioBus. That might be the only way to manage live sets: load in a "big" preset and then manage slices of the big whole as a scene.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Yes, while I saw some improvements in performance over the course of the beta, loading big AudioLayer scenes either caused an unacceptable lag or a crash. I suspect it's a tough thing on iOS to manage scenes like this. I've noted that loading presets with the new MIDI learn features in AudioBus 3 can take a while in some cases. I am interested to see if @Michael figures out how to do "scenes" within a preset without a big performance hit in AudioBus. That might be the only way to manage live sets: load in a "big" preset and then manage slices of the big whole as a scene.

I agree that AudioBus 3's new features like MIDI Learn make the need for Camelot Pro less necessary, especially if Michael can nail the MIDI Out aspect (i.e., for integrating hardware). Still, the design and flow of Camelot Pro is nice if they can iron out a few more bugs. Personally, I am waiting for it to support MIDI AUFX before attempting to use it in place of AB3 live.

• @rtuckr said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

I agree that AudioBus 3's new features like MIDI Learn make the need for Camelot Pro less necessary, especially if Michael can nail the MIDI Out aspect (i.e., for integrating hardware). Still, the design and flow of Camelot Pro is nice if they can iron out a few more bugs. Personally, I am waiting for it to support MIDI AUFX before attempting to use it in place of AB3 live.

Yep, same. We'll see how it works out but I have to believe their plan for cross-platform apps will take some time to work out, in addition to the iOS specific bugs to squash.