Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NOIR pitch mod & velocity mod

edited November 2018 in Support and Feedback

Hi there,

I’ve been trying out all kind of different settings with these knobs but nothing is changing significant in the sound. Obviously I’m missing understanding of how this is connected. I have the mod checkbox on after the oscillator section. Can someone explain how this drop thing works and the others too. It isn’t doing anything at the moment. And yes I read the manual.

Comments

• I understand as a Dutch guy we love a rotary called “drop” but it has no effect unfortunately 😂

• I'm confused... regardless of other settings those knobs should have a massive impact on the resulting sound.

Start with the "init" sound to be sure nothing else is getting in the way. Then trigger some notes and tweak those knobs. You should immediately hear changes in the pitch-slope, from punchy to chirpy, etc.

The effect of drop is typically more pronounced with positive values, but should always be audible.

• @Bennie
    These presets might help to hear how each individual mod target affect the sound in the simplest forms.

• @recccp said:
    @Bennie
    These presets might help to hear how each individual mod target affect the sound in the simplest forms.

Just to check, are your presets called ‘Toneful’ and ‘Toneful1’?

I’ve made too many presets already, and am forgetting which ones I’ve made!

• edited November 2018

@Longskatedeath said:

@recccp said:
    @Bennie

Just to check, are your presets called ‘Toneful’ and ‘Toneful1’?

I’ve made too many presets already, and am forgetting which ones I’ve made!

Should be 12 presets.
    -6 x pitch to each individual target (constant velocity)
    -6 x velocity to each individual target (constant pitch)
    Just to demonstrate how these targets affect the sound.

• You may need to restart the standalone to sync the imported presets, due to Apple's overly paranoid implementation of app sandboxes (plugins have their own sandbox, which is even completely separated from the sandbox of their container apps, so they can't seamlessly access eachother's documents folder).

• edited November 2018

I’ve tried everything you said but still no suc6. The big DROP rotaries make significant change in sound. But the smal ones are doing nothing. The FM knobs give a slight diffence. I don’t know what I am doing wrong. I’ve reinstalled the app. I’m on iPad Air 2 iOS 12.1. The little square checkboxes are white. Somebody can explain this how it works? I’m confused. I used the presets and tried to adjust every knob. Is it only working in some kind of combination? Am I expecting too much of this? I’m using the internal squencer btw.

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2018

Since the AB forum applies a random name to an uploaded file, you need to download the recccp presets into files. And then you need to rename the (in this case) ssjxlymxvzd1.zip to noir_samples.zip noir_presets.zip

(EDIT after bram pointed out the mistake in a posting below)

Open In/Share With from Files.app to Noir does not work on my iPad 10.5 / IOS 12.1 - Noir opens but does not import the new presets, Brambos is already looking into that.

I therefore download/store/rename the zip in the free Documents.App (by Readle) and use OpenIn/Share from there - this oddly enough works. Noir opens and the 12 new presets ‚pitch to ...‘ and ‚vel to ...‘ are available.

Another app from where import works (on my bugged? iPad) are the Dropbox and GoogleDrive Apps - sharing from AudioShare, FileApp or Files does not work. So for me only apps that show some kind of ‚exporting‘ popup before handing over to Noir will import Noir preset files.

• @Bennie said:
    I’ve tried everything you said but still no suc6. The big DROP rotaries make significant change in sound. But the smal ones are doing nothing. The FM knobs give a slight diffence. I don’t know what I am doing wrong. I’ve reinstalled the app. I’m on iPad Air 2 iOS 12.1. The little square checkboxes are white. Somebody can explain this how it works? I’m confused. I used the presets and tried to adjust every knob. Is it only working in some kind of combination? Am I expecting too much of this? I’m using the internal squencer btw.

If the main Drop knobs are set to zero the drop mod doesn’t seem to do anything. Set the Drop knobs off of zero and the mods work. Then mutate velocity and pitch for additional “stuff”.

• Oops... didn't realise that opening these presets could be an issue. Can make them AUM or AB3 presets if that helps.

• edited November 2018

The presets file should be named "noir_presets.zip". Just a precaution to avoid creating a mess by accidentally importing a random zip file. iOS file management is a huge pain, and if a rogue zip unzips and creates a mess in the app's documents folder you can't simply access it to clean up the rubble. So I'm making it a bit harder to break things by accident :)

@_ki said:
    Open In/Share With from Files.app to Noir does not work on my iPad 10.5 / IOS 12.1 - Noir opens but does not import the new presets, Brambos is already looking into that.

Indeed, but so far I have not been able to figure out what iOS is doing differently to the files when it's opening/importing from various sources.

• edited November 2018

Thanks for the presets they make it better understandable. I do find however the effects of these modulations are minimal in the sound and not really hearable unfortunately. In the ruismakers there is more a distinction in the range of the knobs. Well can’t have it all I guess. Thanks Bram for this amazing app. Will try to experiment with the mods a little bit more and after that it’s random time in AUM 🤣

• edited November 2018

If I’m understanding the problem, try this first: Load the Init patch, turn Noise volume up, and set Pitch -> Noise to max. In the sequencer, put low notes (at full velocity) on step 1 and 9; put high notes (at full velocity) on 5 and 13. This should give you a “four on the floor” beat.

The Balance and FM knobs won’t do anything unless Osc 2 volume is turned up, and the Noise control won’t do anything unless the Noise volume is turned up.

Edit: by default the sequencer is set to 8 steps so disregard what I said about steps 9 and 13. A low note on 1 and a high note on 5 will give you the same effect.

• @Bennie said:
    Thanks for the presets they make it better understandable. I do find however the effects of these modulations are minimal in the sound and not really hearable unfortunately. In the ruismakers there is more a distinction in the range of the knobs. Well can’t have it all I guess. Thanks Bram for this amazing app. Will try to experiment with the mods a little bit more and after that it’s random time in AUM 🤣

These are mostly useful as tutorials to experiment with 'useful' ranges at different states of the target parameter, in some cases reliant on other parameters to be set accordingly.
    In use it's quite hard to predict the exact effect when several of them applied, which is part of the charm with this approach of noise making... running into happy accidents :smile:

• @brambos said:

:)

Hey Bram, What % of the parameter's full range do the mod knobs cover?

For instance, it seems if I set cutoff on a LP fully closed, then have velocity cutoff knob fully right positive, it's not opening the cutoff all the way.

So if cutoff is closed (i.e. =0) and velocity mod is set full positive 99, when a full velocity hit is sent, what would the cutoff value actually be under the hood? It doesn't seem to go to 100

Is that by design to have a smaller modulation "window" so it's not quite so crazy? That was one thing with the DFAM I had. Soooo touchy to mod settings.

• It would also be really useful if in addition to the main randomizer, there was a randomizer just for velMod and one for pitMod.

• edited November 2018

@brambos said:

:)

Hey Bram, What % of the parameter's full range do the mod knobs cover?

For instance, it seems if I set cutoff on a LP fully closed, then have velocity cutoff knob fully right positive, it's not opening the cutoff all the way.

So if cutoff is closed (i.e. =0) and velocity mod is set full positive 99, when a full velocity hit is sent, what would the cutoff value actually be under the hood? It doesn't seem to go to 100

Is that by design to have a smaller modulation "window" so it's not quite so crazy? That was one thing with the DFAM I had. Soooo touchy to mod settings.

The synths setting determines the maximum modulation you can get. So if you set the cutoff frequency knob to 50% the value coming out of maximum modulation will never exceed this 50%.

If the cutoff value is set to 0, then modulation will always result in 0 regardless of the note value (after all, the maximum value is 0 ;) ).

You should be able to fully open the filter using modulation with the right settings. Keep in mind that different parameters influence the cutoff value (pitch mod, velocity mod, filter env).