Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

QuantiChord From Laurent Colson

Comments

• Great I love chorder appps in the App Store now.

• Hope Doug does a video on this one .

• edited November 2018

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/quantichord/id1439713799?mt=8

Though I don’t see what it’s actually doing.

• Is AU midi so works on same track in Cubasis 2.

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2018

I just bought it and i am quite disappointed that there are no AU parameters enabled at all - my idea was to cleverly animate the 8 slots (or even the random function) to create changing chords.

Without AU params the chord layout is fixed and therefore (for my usecase) i could have achieved the same by playing a fixed chord and using Rozeta Scaler. Scaler also allows to AU animate note transponsition.
    The new feature of QuantiChord is the free choice of 8 note offsets and quantization.

I hope the developer responds and adds AU parameters for all sliders and the note quantize buttons.

• Do I get it correctly, the main purpose of this app is to add 8 different 'one finger chords' spread across the keyboard or one huge 8-note chord that is transposed by the incoming note?

I honestly fail to see the use case for this app at the moment...

• Looks very useful, but not bought just yet.
    It’s fairly similar in function to scalebud is it not? But looks like there’s a few more options.

+1 for AU parameters.

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2018

It’s one-huge-up-to-9-notes-chord: The app adds up to 8 notes with transpose offsets to an incomming monophonic midi note. The output notes are then quantized (not specified if quantize drop, upper or lowr is used) and the whole chord can be transposed.

I have to admit it was an impuls-buy triggered by Midi AU plugin...

• This seems strange given the excellence and well thought out nature of StepPolyArp and the ChordPolyPad.

Perhaps there is other functionality to come. I would hope something where perhaps the chord or scale could be controlled via midi notes at the remote ends of the range i.e. C-2 & C-1 which could over two octaves issue changes to the computed chord flavour (perhaps from a selection of twelve user defined presets), scale/mode (again from a selection of twelve user defined presets) and perhaps from a third octave - inversions.

• @_ki said:
    It’s one-huge-up-to-9-notes-chord: The app adds up to 8 notes with transpose offsets to an incomming monophonic midi note. The output notes are then quantized (not specified if quantize drop, upper or lowr is used) and the whole chord can be transposed.

I have to admit it was an impuls-buy triggered by Midi AU plugin...

Oki. One thing I immediately came to think about is delay per step for strumming or one-shot arpeggio-sequences.
    The chip-junkie in tells me to apr this 12,7,0,5,12,7,5,0 LOL...

• edited November 2018

Surely you're not restricted to a single chord — can't you program a sequence? It seems to be like an AU Navichord? Seems unfair to frame it this way right out of the gate. Has anybody used it yet?

• Just used it for about 5 minutes. Bought due to past happiness that this developer has brought to me. Setup on AUM with Rozetta Bassline sequence >Quantichord> Laplace, and Zeeon. Used random function on Quantichord for scale. The app generates chords within the scale based on single note input (in this instance - have not tried yet with multiple note input). It works very well in this case as it is ideal for creating chord progressions/melodies from a bass line or other single note input.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Surely you're not restricted to a single chord — can't you program a sequence? It seems to be like an AU Navichord?

You can‘t programm sequences and except for the presets there is no list of chords like in Navichord. To change the chord either manually select another preset or press the random button.

Seems unfair to frame it this way right out of the gate. Has anybody used it yet?

I played around for about half an hour. I have read the pdf manual and the apps website, watched their promo videos - and i am happy user of StepPolyArp AU from the same developer.

I additonally send a copy of my posting above (I just bought it.......) directly to the developer by using the support form on his webpage. His response was, that he is sorry that the app does not do what i expect and that i could do a refund :/

I would have prefered the answer that AU paramters are at least planned - and stated this in my response to his answer.

• @_ki said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Surely you're not restricted to a single chord — can't you program a sequence? It seems to be like an AU Navichord?

You can‘t programm sequences and except for the presets there is no list of chords like in Navichord. To change the chord either manually select another preset or press the random button.

Seems unfair to frame it this way right out of the gate. Has anybody used it yet?

I played around for about half an hour. I have read the pdf manual and the apps website, watched their promo videos - and i am happy user of StepPolyArp AU from the same developer.

I additonally send a copy of my posting above (I just bought it.......) directly to the developer by using the support form on his webpage. His response was, that he is sorry that the app does not do what i expect and that i could do a refund :/

I would have prefered the answer that AU paramters are at least planned - and stated this in my response to his answer.

Wow, thanks for the thorough report. It's a little disappointing.

• Laurent taught me how to make my own music theory through his other apps.
    They make a space to work in, with tools that have more than one way of being used.
    So if this is where his work is going, I’ll trust him and see what I can find in it.
    Experience has taught me there are few developers worth investing in, Laurent is one of them.

• @Jumpercollins I have a demo finished, it will be live later this evening

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    @Jumpercollins I have a demo finished, it will be live later this evening

Great thanks Doug, you can actually chain this with other AU midi processor apps to combine their effects.

• Good news :

In response to my second email the dev stated that „plugins automation is on the list of things to do“ :)

• edited November 2018

@_ki said:
    Good news :

In response to my second email the dev stated that „plugins automation is on the list of things to do“ :)

Nice! Ok. I probably won't be able to resist spending yet more money this week (after Noir, Phase Three and Autony) and pick this up.

Edit: yeah I bought it. Currently playing around with autony feeding this app feeding volt. Autony+QuantiChord are quite a pairing.

• Bought given the developer. Surprised it's so basic right now given his pedigree. Maybe it won't be in the future.

• @_ki said:
    I just bought it and i am quite disappointed that there are no AU parameters enabled at all - my idea was to cleverly animate the 8 slots (or even the random function) to create changing chords.

Without AU params the chord layout is fixed and therefore (for my usecase) i could have achieved the same by playing a fixed chord and using Rozeta Scaler. Scaler also allows to AU animate note transponsition.
    The new feature of QuantiChord is the free choice of 8 note offsets and quantization.

I hope the developer responds and adds AU parameters for all sliders and the note quantize buttons.

Whoa... really?! That sucks big time. I was just about to pull the trigger as this looks perfect for what I need, but not being able to automate or change chord shapes via cc is a huge limitation that as you say really makes this no more useful than cells or my Senode chord sequencer... poop...

• In reading the manual this AU seems pretty weak... Laurent’s stuff kicks ass so it’s odd this seems so watered down at release.

A wayyyy better solution would be just to use Senode and scaler.

Have several emitters all bound to different midi notes or cc that trigger a cell with a different chord or voicing then run the output of that through Scaler...

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2018

@MonkeyDrummer I‘ll keep my copy and wait for an update :)

I am just too lazy to programm something myself with the tons of combinations of apps i already own.

The current version of the QuantiChord AU app already has all the needed features. I can manually achieve what i want - generate changing chord-types from mono note and transpose. The dev even thought of the problems arising when transposing a sustained whole chord - there were no hanging notes in my tries with fast slider movements B)
    Sooo - i‘m looking forward to a bright future where this solid app can be driven by parameter automation.

• It seems similar to other chord apps. But building custom chords is different (but maybe not unique), and AU is too ( this is unique, most likely).

• Here is my demo for QuantiChord

• @thesoundtestroom Wow, hearing you demo those presets really made me want this.
    Seeing it in action was eye-opening as well.
    Thank you, Doug.
    :)

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    Here is my demo for QuantiChord

Just as I suspected...

Nice video but to bring this app to a 'must have' status for me it could use a strum/one-shot sequence mode.
    (I've become a lot more picky in my road to curing my app-o-holism).

This could be done by setting the 'step interval'. At 0 it would be just as it is and with other values it could strum or step-thru the notes.

• Does QuantiChord map the same chord to every note played, or can you map it to a scale and have it play the correct chords up and down the scale?

• I would use this but I think as you can get most of the functionality of this in Step Poly arp already, I'd like to see a few more unique features added before purchasing.