Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

apeMatrix: big update incoming

Comments

• Was thinking I could use the Send Recieve AU that the update came with to route midi inside StageLight to use Rozeta but it appears just to be audio routing.

• @Carnbot It’s been that long our have to go and watch the video again to how to use it!

• Oh shit!

This announcement made me drop everything and update the iPad immediately.

Literally.

I'm going to have to play with the audio ins now to see if I can get my Behringer Model D in to apeMatrix without using AUM first....

Hee hee!

• A Cubasis mix bus. How novel!

• So basically added mix busses audio routing capabilities like we get with a AUM as a AU effect. Cool.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    So basically added mix busses audio routing capabilities like we get with a AUM as a AU effect. Cool.

Oh yeah - this is massive. Bussing was one of the few things AUM did that apeMatrix couldn't, but NOW....

• Cool...but...I don’t think that it is a good idea to have implemented the bus as an AU. Why ? Maybe I haven’t well understood how it must be used but as far as I have experiment this, I faced the following situation :
    1. I wanted 3 busses (one for drums, one for synths, one for basses). I wanted a compressor and an eq on each bus. This is already 9 slots used (remember that we have only 10 slots available per page)
    2. I had to use min 3 other slots in the other page to redirect my instrument into the busses. If I have a synth on two different pages, I have to use two slots (one more), so I have to separate my instruments (drums on one page and synth + basses on another page)...

What would be cool is to be able to insert effect on busses but out of the matrix (not sure I’m clear here...). Another solution is to have more than 3 pages...what do you think?

• @Daveypoo said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    So basically added mix busses audio routing capabilities like we get with a AUM as a AU effect. Cool.

Oh yeah - this is massive. Bussing was one of the few things AUM did that apeMatrix couldn't, but NOW....

Can an Ape Matrix Parte Quattro video be far behind?

• Wow. I bought it yesterday and today I have even more AUv3 tools:

Sampler (which functions as an audio file player too)
    Oscilloscope
    View-Meters
    Mixer Send/Receive

My initial reaction to apeMatrix was everything in the GUI is so tiny... Oops, I found the control to make the RAU windows expand to full screen like I can in AUM. Nevermind.

I just keep finding new features... like MIDI Transpose (per AUv3) and Filtering this morning.

• @Philh0954 said:

@Daveypoo said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Can an Ape Matrix Parte Quattro video be far behind?

Assolutamente, mio amico! I've got one in the can for this weekend already, but I'll find some way to work this into the next one.

Fino ad allora aspettiamo pazientemente!

• can you record directly
    into the apematrix sampler?

• edited November 2018

@Jumpercollins said:
    Was thinking I could use the Send Recieve AU that the update came with to route midi inside StageLight to use Rozeta but it appears just to be audio routing.

Wanted to finally take audio from Garageband ,but low star review does the job for me >:) (for GarageBand, apeMatrix is very nice)

The Send Recieve AU works only in a host (Apple sandbox)

• @Korakios said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Was thinking I could use the Send Recieve AU that the update came with to route midi inside StageLight to use Rozeta but it appears just to be audio routing.

Wanted to finally take audio from Garageband ,but low star review does the job for me >:) (for GarageBand, apeMatrix is very nice)

The Send Recieve AU works only in a host (Apple sandbox)

Fair enough I wasn’t trying to come out of the host in this case StageLight, Route Midi app could of been the way but that doesn’t work cross track in StageLight we will just have to wait for the 4.1 update!

• @cuscolima said:
    Cool...but...I don’t think that it is a good idea to have implemented the bus as an AU. Why ? Maybe I haven’t well understood how it must be used but as far as I have experiment this, I faced the following situation :
    1. I wanted 3 busses (one for drums, one for synths, one for basses). I wanted a compressor and an eq on each bus. This is already 9 slots used (remember that we have only 10 slots available per page)
    2. I had to use min 3 other slots in the other page to redirect my instrument into the busses. If I have a synth on two different pages, I have to use two slots (one more), so I have to separate my instruments (drums on one page and synth + basses on another page)...

What would be cool is to be able to insert effect on busses but out of the matrix (not sure I’m clear here...). Another solution is to have more than 3 pages...what do you think?

You already have 2 busses : A and B
    Before going further ,you want different EQ,Comb per bus ?Also how many total instruments you want to use?

• edited November 2018

I still think ApeMatrix definitely needs more buses. There is space (at least in the ipad).
    Also they (the buses) add some latency noticeable on max buffer size (1024) ,same with the new audio routing AUs

• @eross said:
    can you record directly

No. It's only an AU Instrument (that can playback audio files).
    The Sampler can browse for files from iCloud, AudioShare and local iPad file folders.

apeMatrix has an internal record function as does AUM as does all the other AU Hosts so making a recording and opening the resulting file is easy.

NOTE: I just bought apeMatrix but looking into the GUI I think I got this right.

• @Carnbot said:
    This might help illustrate too:

Didn‘t get it. Where do I open ApeMatrix to do something with the sent signals?
    As stand alone or IAA? Or do I open the AUs in the Host? But there is only the mask, where I can Chose the bus 🚌 (A B ...).

• edited November 2018

@Satie said:

@Carnbot said:
    This might help illustrate too:

Didn‘t get it. Where do I open ApeMatrix to do something with the sent signals?
    As stand alone or IAA? Or do I open the AUs in the Host? But there is only the mask, where I can Chose the bus 🚌 (A B ...).

You don’t need apeMatrix to be opened. The AU is completely independent and the audio can’t go between apps, just inside the host itself, in this case Audiobus. You select the required bus in the AU send receive app.

• edited November 2018

Can ApeMatrix sync to Midi clock In? if so, does it respond to transport start and stop?
    And as a Master clock, does it send full transport information? (clock, start, stop, and it'll start effects that require host clock like Replicant 2)
    Thanks!

• Ah - thanks for the advice. So the update brings group busses not only for apeMatrix, but also for these hosts, that didn‘t support grouping so far (Cubasis, AB ...).👌🏼

• @Satie said:
    Ah - thanks for the advice. So the update brings group busses not only for apeMatrix, but also for these hosts, that didn‘t support grouping so far (Cubasis, AB ...).👌🏼

This is like the time I was sick for a week and the Monday I returned to algebra they were speaking a different language.
    How can you have buses in Cubasis?

• @McDtracy said:

@eross said:
    can you record directly

No. It's only an AU Instrument (that can playback audio files).
    The Sampler can browse for files from iCloud, AudioShare and local iPad file folders.

apeMatrix has an internal record function as does AUM as does all the other AU Hosts so making a recording and opening the resulting file is easy.

NOTE: I just bought apeMatrix but looking into the GUI I think I got this right.

cool, so if i record audio running in apematrix it saves it to files folder. but how do i open that file up in the sampler. i don’t see acess to the same folder to open it from ?

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Satie said:
    Ah - thanks for the advice. So the update brings group busses not only for apeMatrix, but also for these hosts, that didn‘t support grouping so far (Cubasis, AB ...).👌🏼

This is like the time I was sick for a week and the Monday I returned to algebra they were speaking a different language.

I got it working yesterday by placing the plug into the Send Effects of a couple tracks (Zeeon and DRC), then another plug into the Insert Effects of a blank audio track, followed by a regular effect (Eos2). Worked well, though with some crackle on my aging Air1. Each send has a wet/dry slider, too. I'm curious to see how much CPU and latency issues there are on newer devices.

• edited November 2018

@aaronpc said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@Satie said:

I got it working yesterday by placing the plug into the Send Effects of a couple tracks (Zeeon and DRC), then another plug into the Insert Effects of a blank audio track, followed by a regular effect (Eos2). Worked well, though with some crackle on my aging Air1. Each send has a wet/dry slider, too. I'm curious to see how much CPU and latency issues there are on newer devices.

That works really nicely on my iPhone 7 Plus, with several AU send/receive routings/instances in GarageBand for example, see my video:

• @Janosax said:

@aaronpc said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@Satie said:

That works really nicely on my iPhone 7 Plus, with several AU send/receive routings/instances in GarageBand for example, see my video:

Nice! Sorry to side track but what AUV3 EQ is that in your video?

• @aaronpc said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@Satie said:

Yes - routing via Send is nice (Cubasis) - but there is no „Pre“-button, that You can mute the dry signal, to hear only the Send via ApeMatrix-plug.🤯

• Not sure if this has been noticed by anyone else, but this update also changed the color of the text for Bram Bos' Rozeta suite. Before, the green text against the blue background was horrid and unreadable. Now it's been changed to white against blue.

Another minor change but makes apeMatrix far easier to use.

• @no1normal said:

@Janosax said:

@aaronpc said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@Satie said:

Nice! Sorry to side track but what AUV3 EQ is that in your video?

That is GarageBand internal EQ, not AUV3. As an alternative there is that nice EQ from Blue Mangoo which does similar stuff:

https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/parametric-equalizer/id1403326201?mt=8

• This routing and MIDI in AUM and Audiobus is making my hair go greyer every day. I might go for a spin with ApeMatrix this weekend and see, on monday probably my hair is totally white. Or my head will be without hair after beeing thorned and ripped off in frustration...