Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM AU automation

I've been away for a while and don't recall whether AUM allows automation of AU parameters. Playing with Ruismaker noir

Advice please !

Comments

• Welcome back. B)

It definitely does. Start at the menu on the top-right > midi control > channel that the plugin is in. You can manually map cc numbers, or midi learn them.

• Or did you mean does it allow you to draw in or record automation? If so, then the answer is no.

• Thank you - it was recording automation so thanks for the response - over to Cubasis 2 for that then........

• Yeah no automation, would be good if AUM had built-in record and playback of midi. Like a node you could add to track. This would be the best solution however there is a new app coming called photon which will record/playback/loop midi.

• I've bumped into an 'interesting' issue with AUM and AU Automation...
    If the AUv3 contains 'a lot' of parameters AUM chooses not to show them at all?!

For example SquareSynth 2 contains 'a lot' of AUParameters and none of them are visible in AUM!!

BM3 also struggles to show all the SquareSynth 2 parameters and stops at 256 or so.
    GarageBand also has issues showing all the AU Parameters...

In Cubasis I can automate all the parameters without issues by recording the automation from the UI.
    ApeMatrix is also able to show all the parameters.

So it seems we have a new 'bench mark AUv3' for hosts to deal with when it comes to AU Automation :)

• Just get Xequence and use it with AUM?

• edited November 2018

@vitocorleone123 said:
    Just get Xequence and use it with AUM?

Xequence isn’t AUv3 and it would be more elegant and compact if automation was internally recorded within AUM but you are correct, using Xequence would work with AUM.

• edited November 2018
  • Apematrix however does!

• @SheffieldBleep said:
    Apematrix however does!

Dang I need to go back and look - didn’t realise it did!

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@SheffieldBleep said:
    Apematrix however does!

Dang I need to go back and look - didn’t realise it did!

Admittedly uses the LFO's to do this but can be manipulated to the same effect by adjusting the LFO waveform

• @Samu said:
    I've bumped into an 'interesting' issue with AUM and AU Automation...
    If the AUv3 contains 'a lot' of parameters AUM chooses not to show them at all?!

For example SquareSynth 2 contains 'a lot' of AUParameters and none of them are visible in AUM!!

BM3 also struggles to show all the SquareSynth 2 parameters and stops at 256 or so.
    GarageBand also has issues showing all the AU Parameters...

In Cubasis I can automate all the parameters without issues by recording the automation from the UI.
    ApeMatrix is also able to show all the parameters.

So it seems we have a new 'bench mark AUv3' for hosts to deal with when it comes to AU Automation :)

AUM only shows AU parameters marked as "writable" by the plugin. Many devs seem to ignore this. But there's no reason to list parameters that can't/shouldn't be changed by the user. However, considering the number of times both users and devs has asked me why parameters are not showing up in AUM, I might list them greyed-out and display a note about it if the user taps it! :)

• edited December 2018

@j_liljedahl said:

AUM only shows AU parameters marked as "writable" by the plugin. Many devs seem to ignore this. But there's no reason to list parameters that can't/shouldn't be changed by the user. However, considering the number of times both users and devs has asked me why parameters are not showing up in AUM, I might list them greyed-out and display a note about it if the user taps it! :)

Could this also be the reason why only a few 'random' parameters are shown in GarageBand?(it's not always the same parameters either which puzzles me).

I'm not god enough at 'Dev Speak' so I don't know how to properly explain this to the dev :)
    http://www.sonickitten.com/about/ (Feedback form)

The AU parameters seem to work fine in Cubasis (ie. it's possible to both record and play back automation) and ApeMatrix has no issues automating them meaning they surely must be 'writable' even if they are not tagged as such?

NB. An update to SquareSynth 2 just dropped and most of the parameters are now visible in AUM too :)

• @Samu said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Could this also be the reason why only a few 'random' parameters are shown in GarageBand?(it's not always the same parameters either which puzzles me).

I'm not god enough at 'Dev Speak' so I don't know how to properly explain this to the dev :)
    http://www.sonickitten.com/about/ (Feedback form)

The AU parameters seem to work fine in Cubasis (ie. it's possible to both record and play back automation) and ApeMatrix has no issues automating them meaning they surely must be 'writable' even if they are not tagged as such?

NB. An update to SquareSynth 2 just dropped and most of the parameters are now visible in AUM too :)

In dev speak, here's what AUM does:

if(!(par.flags & kAudioUnitParameterFlag_IsWritable)) continue; // ignore this parameter

• So how do we write automation in AUM?

• @RajahP said:
    So how do we write automation in AUM?

We simply don't, we just use other apps to automate the parameters thru AUM :)

• wimwim
    edited September 2019

@RajahP said:

Photon can be used to record and then play back any cc automation you can generate in AUM. No editing though, just playback.

• @Samu said:

@RajahP said:

@wim said:

@RajahP said:

Photon can be used to record and then play back any cc automation you can generate in AUM. No editing though, just playback.

Thanks... would be nice to just hit record and turn knobs on the instrument.. maybe in the future..

Peace..

• @RajahP said:

@Samu said:

@RajahP said:

@wim said:

@RajahP said:

Thanks... would be nice to just hit record and turn knobs on the instrument.. maybe in the future..

Peace..

😃 Maybe- it’s funny how we just take for granted that it isn’t there given the sackload of feature requests that arise. You would think it would have been a standard by now. I mean is it difficult to build in or what’s the problem? It would be a giant leap forward...... can they not just reverse the wires or something?

• Guys I’m in the future now :)
    2 Auv3 that actually doing it:
    LK
    Aum midi mixer

• edited December 2020

I‘m no iOS dev but as far as I know AUv3s have got some resource restrictions (quick lookup: 360 MB on 64-bit devices). So IMHO you could never expect an app that is as complex as Xequence 2 to be an AUv3. Moreover I think such an app should make use of the available screen estate and go fullscreen. I agree with Jakob Haq that many small windows do not make up a good UX. But I think an app like Xequence could probably come with a sidecar AUv3 for deeper integration with an AUv3 host like host sync etc.

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    Guys I’m in the future now :)
    2 Auv3 that actually doing it:
    LK
    Aum midi mixer

And next year, Atom 2

• @krassmann said:
    I‘m no iOS dev but as far as I know AUv3s have got some resource restrictions (quick lookup: 360 MB on 64-bit devices). So IMHO you could never expect an app that is as complex as Xequence 2 to be an AUv3. Moreover I think such an app should make use of the available screen estate and go fullscreen. I agree with Jakob Haq that many small windows do not make up a good UX. But I think an app like Xequence could probably come with a sidecar AUv3 for deeper integration with an AUv3 host like host sync etc.

I know big sample based apps hit the limit but I don’t think Xequence2 is that much of a resource hog? Regarding screen size, full-size AUv3 does me fine. We’re talking pixels difference to full size standalone. Add all the benefits of AUv3 and Xequence2 is one of the biggest wishes for an upgrade to AU for me (although I know it’s not going to happen).

• The 360MB restriction has been lifted for AUv3 since iOS 13 as far as I'm aware.
    I'm not a developer but in theory I don't see any reason why any audio app couldn't be AUv3 especially going forward as iPads get more and more Ram and better performance.