Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Studio Amplify - looking for new app ideas.

Comments

• edited November 2018

@brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:
    However, an app that hasn’t been updated for over a year starts to look abandoned. My suggestion is to do some quick cosmetic tweaks and create a few presets, which will be nothing compared to the work that’s already gone into it.

I read these kind of things often around here, and quite frankly I don't get it. Just put work into something for the sake of changing a "last updated" date? What if the product is finished and doesn't need extra work? Doesn't necessarily mean it's abandoned. Could also mean it just works as intended and doesn't require maintenance (yet).

Repectfully, that's a somewhat ridiculous thing to demand from a developer.

I think an app will be never be finished in iOS world . (which I agree is unfair for the devs)
    Examples :
    If an app is IAA ,it could switch to AU ,depending on the nature of the app.
    AU now support midi , the app should support AU midi .
    If not then AB3 state saving ,AB3 midi is a must .
    Speaking of midi ,an app can be controlled by hardware ,so a dev should bind all the parameters to the midi specifications.
    Also Ableton Link is a must . Now there is v3 supporting start stop...
    AudioShare is a must . If on iOS >11 file app support is a must .
    Import / export functions are also a standard (depending on the app)
    MPE for synths is a new great feature .

My point is that even an app is finished and the dev has to deal keeping the app working ,
    there are always new features that can be implemented.
    Even if all features are already in and the app is working great , a dev can make cosmetic changes , adding presets , optimizing the code for lower cpu usage etc

It’s unfair I know , but there are solutions

• Subscription (everyone hates it ,but it’s up to the target users)
    • IAPs . IMO this is the best way (and the only IMO ) to add new stuff from user’s feature requests
    • New versions . Like retronyms is making with iMpc (classic->pro->Pro2-iPhone)
    • Crowdfunding. Ask people to support ....
  • edited November 2018

I’d like an all in one groove box app with a new twist on choke group type action.

Let’s say I have 4 melodic instruments on their own track. I can have an option to set instrument 1 for example as the “master” and any of the other instruments as “slaves” for lack of better terms. So when I play a note/record a note on instrument 1 it cuts off the midi/chokes out all the slave instruments when the master is played. This is an arrangement tool.

Now what can be further cool is when you record phrases and such with these functions engaged, what you hear played back to you is what is recorded and stored in the sequencer, meaning things don’t change suddenly if you were to then choose different masters and slaves, etc. it’s all cumulative. Combine this with the aforementioned iKaossilator rip-off with it’s auto erase replace recording and you have a thing where the user can just endlessly cut up, morph, and change phrases across multiple instruments in an arrangement, simultaneously and in real time. You just gotta make sure these functions are easily accessible right from the playing surface. Get that money!

• Id like to +1 the suggestions to rip of iKaossilator, its such a fun way to make riffs but no one else offers it.

@db909 sorry, I dont get it, like why would I want my lead instrument to choke out the support instruments when I play it?

• edited November 2018

@1nsomniak said:
    Id like to +1 the suggestions to rip of iKaossilator, its such a fun way to make riffs but no one else offers it.

@db909 sorry, I dont get it, like why would I want my lead instrument to choke out the support instruments when I play it?

Well you won’t ALWAYS want that of course, and probably not choking out all the instruments at once. But think of it like a mixing/arrangement tool. Things sound a bit busy. I want my lead to poke through and stand out. Instead of painstakingly going around adjusting eqs and such why not just make it so one or more support instruments duck out when the lead plays. It’s the same principal as sidechaining only in this instance, we’re working at the level of midi note events rather than audio. So it’s both a mixing and composition tool in one. And it will actually be easier to use because you won’t be having to adjust thresholds, attack times, etc. just a simple highlight thing: this is the master, this is the slave, etc. I’m sure there’s some conceptual kinks I’m not recognizing regarding the implementation, but that’s the idea.

Maybe there could be a nice sidechain feature as well. Who knows!

• @db909 said:
    I’d like an all in one groove box app with a new twist on choke group type action.

Let’s say I have 4 melodic instruments on their own track. I can have an option to set instrument 1 for example as the “master” and any of the other instruments as “slaves” for lack of better terms. So when I play a note/record a note on instrument 1 it cuts off the midi/chokes out all the slave instruments when the master is played. This is an arrangement tool.

Now what can be further cool is when you record phrases and such with these functions engaged, what you hear played back to you is what is recorded and stored in the sequencer, meaning things don’t change suddenly if you were to then choose different masters and slaves, etc. it’s all cumulative. Combine this with the aforementioned iKaossilator rip-off with it’s auto erase replace recording and you have a thing where the user can just endlessly cut up, morph, and change phrases across multiple instruments in an arrangement, simultaneously and in real time. You just gotta make sure these functions are easily accessible right from the playing surface. Get that money!

Interesting idea. Almost like setting a maximum polyphony on a sequencer but setting one of the tracks to play, no matter what.

Second part sounds like you could reset which track 'always wins' and what the max-polyphony is per song section (or whatever).

• edited November 2018

Roland sp404 clone.

Seriously can't believe there's not one already. Would sell like hotcakes.

• Guitar arp strum like app. Guitar riffs, variations a la ample guitar or Orangetree .. Hoping @ikmultimedia comes out with a guitar version of “Mondonass”.
    Or something along to lines of harmonic editing like Studio One . Audio analyzer ...
    Not too many jazz oriented app on iPad. Jazz horn section etc

• Au/ iaa Foley sound generator...i love use Foley as drums and stuff, nothing I know it works as even iaa

• An AU Kaossilator style app would be great .
    Adding a second xy pad would be great , or at least some more buttons for further tweaking audio or rhythm or both :)
    But only as AU to have multiple tracks and more sophisticated control , meaning not another iPhone thumb playing machine like Figure

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @d4d0ug said:

@legsmechanical said:
    Roland sp404 clone.

+1

What’s so special with sp404 ? I had one for a while found it limited, preferred the 606 505 series ....

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @oldschoolwillie said:
    I WANT an AUv3 dirtbox.....
    SP1200........MPC60 .......SP303 dirty
    That makes anything sampled into it sound PHAT and DUSTY
    IT could be an AUv3 effect unit as well with full access to the LO-FI dirty effect
    load it on an effect slot in Cubasis and your synth will be PHATTER and Dirtier.
    give it VINYL, HALFTIME, WARBLE. LO-FI, CRACKLE, etc 12 BIT FILTER
    Make it a standalone beast as well sample into it
    Manipulate each sample independently, TUNE down a snare or kick foe extra PHATNESS
    GiVE it unorthodox SWNG Humanization, enable programming off the grid in standalone
    Audiobus and Audioshare integration open in enabled
    Give it the ability to output to 8 tracks to Cubasis or Auria Pro tracks or to Audioshare
    WE NEED a super duper LO-FI app
    Please make it thanks

@oldschoolwillie said:
    IT could be an AUv3 effect unit as well with full access to the LO-FI dirty effect
    load it on an effect slot in Cubasis and your synth will be PHATTER and Dirtier.
    Manipulate each sample independently, TUNE down a snare or kick foe extra PHATNESS
    GiVE it unorthodox SWNG Humanization, enable programming off the grid in standalone
    Give it the ability to output to 8 tracks to Cubasis or Auria Pro tracks or to Audioshare
    Please make it thanks

YES x 1000

• @syrupcore said:

@db909 said:

Interesting idea. Almost like setting a maximum polyphony on a sequencer but setting one of the tracks to play, no matter what.

Second part sounds like you could reset which track 'always wins' and what the max-polyphony is per song section (or whatever).

Yup you got it!

• @Korakios said:
    An AU Kaossilator style app would be great .
    Adding a second xy pad would be great , or at least some more buttons for further tweaking audio or rhythm or both :)
    But only as AU to have multiple tracks and more sophisticated control , meaning not another iPhone thumb playing machine like Figure

Let’s just do both, why the hell not

• @d4d0ug said:

@Korakios said:

@d4d0ug said:

@legsmechanical said:
    Roland sp404 clone.

+1

What’s so special with sp404 ? I had one for a while found it limited, preferred the 606 505 series ....

SPs are very popular with lofi creators, but especially SP404 and SP303. Not sure why, but 606 and 505 maybe less so.

Vinyl/sim comp effect.

I have a SP303, fun toy I haven't used in a long time. A port of the vinyl sim/compressor would be great ala vulf compressor but the sampler itself is not needed. BM3 kills it in functionality.

• 1- Ribn AUv3 with host bar sync option.

2- simple AU midi looper with host sync to bar + mangling features

3- simple AU audio looper with host sync to bar + mangling features

4- simple AU midi step sequencer for any type of midi signal + mangling features for sequence and destinations

5- kaossilator AU with sample import and customization of x and y axis.

• edited November 2018

@Philippe AU midi looper is coming soon ;)
    Can’t find the thread ,sorry !
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28149/real-time-sequencer-aum/p1

• @Philippe said:
    1- Ribn AUv3 with host bar sync option.

2- simple AU midi looper with host sync to bar + mangling features

3- simple AU audio looper with host sync to bar + mangling features

4- simple AU midi step sequencer for any type of midi signal + mangling features for sequence and destinations

5- kaossilator AU with sample import and customization of x and y axis.

Beautiful!

• @BroCoast said:
    I have a SP303, fun toy I haven't used in a long time. A port of the vinyl sim/compressor would be great ala vulf compressor but the sampler itself is not needed. BM3 kills it in functionality.

I’d say that its popularity is due as much to the lightning fast workflow that combines no fuss RESAMPLING and trimming with a grab bag of interesting effects (of which the vinyl sim is just one).

For what it’s worth, I don’t know anyone who cares much for the sequencer on the hardware.... it’s kind of a bolted on afterthought that few would miss in an integrated software environment

• This is Studio_Amplify , Amplify is another team :)
    Unless you mean they should make a groovebox

• Haha , thats right! Funny, sorry Studio_Ampify!

• I’ve spent ~$600 on iOS music production apps since I got my iPad Pro last year. Krft is my #1 favorite app (and I don’t even use the included sounds that often, it’s a great sequencer) so I’m super hyped about seeing this thread.

What I’d like to see in the future are more unique drum machines. Nothing rivals Patterning 2 imo, and I love the sound of the bram bos drum apps but don’t enjoy using drums as auv’s for some reason. I like stand alone drum apps with iaa. I’m thinking of something like elastic drums, using unique synthesis engines rather than samples. If I could make it I’d do a component level recreation of the Pearl Syncussion.

The only other thing I wish I had was a simplified app switcher, like the tab popup audiobus uses. Switching between music apps is still a pain in the ass half the time and I’d love a small overlay with just the icon of the apps I’m using that I can quickly switch between, even better would be if I could assign midi values and use a hardware controller and hit a pad and switch between apps, I doubt this is even possible to do though.

Also I can never have enough reverbs and delays, I’ll buy almost any you devs decide to give us.

• @lairdhenn - not exactly what you want but if using an external keyboard you can Press + Hold CMD & Tab to quickly toggle between open apps.

• @Aud_iOS said:
    @lairdhenn - not exactly what you want but if using an external keyboard you can Press + Hold CMD & Tab to quickly toggle between open apps.

Oh that’s good to know. I may have to grab one just for a consistent switcher. There are so many app switching options but I constantly have to stop and think which one I need to use: can’t swipe up from the bottom on apps with on screen keyboards, can’t four finger swipe in apps with no empty space, AB popup doesn’t appear sometimes in certain apps. The home button double tap is the only consistent one and now that’s gone.

• @lairdhenn said:

@Aud_iOS said:
    @lairdhenn - not exactly what you want but if using an external keyboard you can Press + Hold CMD & Tab to quickly toggle between open apps.

Oh that’s good to know. I may have to grab one just for a consistent switcher. There are so many app switching options but I constantly have to stop and think which one I need to use: can’t swipe up from the bottom on apps with on screen keyboards, can’t four finger swipe in apps with no empty space, AB popup doesn’t appear sometimes in certain apps. The home button double tap is the only consistent one and now that’s gone.

Yep! I use the Logitech KBD480 - Switches between 3 different sources - which is great for the Continuity features with the Mac, along with Windows support.

There’s other Shortcuts - one pulls up the dock, one returns to Home Screen, and one to bring up the Search function, between those you can navigate, open & close without tapping. Unfortunately not enough music apps with keyboard shortcuts, but maybe more will follow now that GarageBand does.

• @weepy said:

Do you think that perceptions have shifted a little re: subscription model. I think 2 years ago you'd be trolled to death for even suggesting this ... !

My 2 cents is that I hate the subscription model. There are a lot of apps that I buy and never (or rarely) use. Subscriptions would prevent me from doing that. IAPs for new features or content works better since I will spend what little income I have on the apps I actually use regularly.

Apps I want:
    • Patch Librarian/sysex to organize patches for iOS apps and MIDI hardware. The few I have heard of have poor reviews. This really should be something that we have in 2019.
    • a good app for getting MIDI & audio into and out of iDevices so that it is easier to use MIDI hardware with iOS DAWs.
    •A Roland JD-800 with all expansion waveforms/patches and a way to add more (not limiting the JD-800 to an emulation only). Update the features. I realize this is probably impossible, but maybe Roland would lease the rights? I won’t hold my breath.

• edited November 2018

The Best Prescription is NO Subscription...........instant NO-BUY
    In-app purchases are cool (updating my previous post)

Patterning 2 is a beat of a drum app.
    There is room for improvement even there
    1. more tracks 8 is ok but imagine 24 tracks .......?
    2. randomness ....imagine if patterning just played the beats elements randomly..........?
    3. it does not make the sounds PHAT or DUSTY...........needs 12 bit filter
    4. The ability to nudge some elements of the beat is ingenious
    5. I love the ability to control dynamics in volume of elements of the beat..........RANDOMIZE IT
    6. LO-FI 12 bit Filters RANDOMIZED when you sample into an SP1200 the result will NEVER be the exact
    7. SP1200 has analog Filter so the output will always be different ..imagine this in an app RANDOM filter processing
    8. I love how in Patterning the elements can rotate in different directions totally throwing the beats off/on/off
    9. DIRTY PHAT LO-FI and RANDOM processing of all elements simultaneously
    10. What would be the out come of that, of course we must preserve the user ability to not program RANDOMNESS
    11. Randomized perimeters of how sounds are processed level of the effect applied , wet/dry etc. etc.
    12. I'm just bouncing ideas perhaps some of these can be incorporated somewhere, somehow.
    13. Synth? .....chord progression library?.....MIDI import?export.....instruments?
    14. Sample import? export Audioshare....open in....etc ....????

Please make it thanks

• @weepy said:

On second thought, forget the IAP. 4.99 a month subscription!

Do you think that perceptions have shifted a little re: subscription model. I think 2 years ago you'd be trolled to death for even suggesting this ... ! But yeah an app like you suggested would be pretty awesome !

Subscription is a no-go for me. That would be when I walked away. I'll pay more for the apps I like but would not sign up for subscription service. IAP is also cool to me.