Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pro Sample Rate Problems.

From Audio Damage Chris Randall.

This isn’t that huge a deal, but it does manifest as some weird bugs. For instance, Cubasis says it is running, and informs all the AUv3 plugs that it is 44.1, but stays at 48. Thus, all the plugs are sample-rate mismatched and sound broken.

Comments

• edited November 2018

WOOT!

This looks good to me! As someone who has always loathed developers adhering to the internal audio spec... Goodbye headphone jack and internal audio!

Lets just hope the internal speakers go away next...lol
    -is anyone going to code audio apps for the internal speakers? I hope not!

• Pretty soon you’ll only get audio if you buy Beats by Dre Bluetooth headphones.

• Yup can confirm. It only allows 48khz for whatever reason. It’s not a big deal for most instruments but some like Syntronik and Tera synth get pitched up when in 48

• What happens in a sampler app using 44.1khz wav files? Is it up to the app to upconvert it properly?

• Im getting crackling all over the place and weird pitch and tempo mangling

• @ocelot said:
    What happens in a sampler app using 44.1khz wav files? Is it up to the app to upconvert it properly?

Most likely would be crackling on anything other than 48KHz, like when your DAW and interface aren’t both on the same setting.
    It would be interesting to know if songs in the iTunes library that are 44.1KHz crackle in the standard music player...anybody able to confirm if that happens?

• tjatja
    edited November 2018

Was that not already the same problem with some newer iPhones (newer than iPhone 6)?

• @3sleeves said:

@ocelot said:
    What happens in a sampler app using 44.1khz wav files? Is it up to the app to upconvert it properly?

Most likely would be crackling on anything other than 48KHz, like when your DAW and interface aren’t both on the same setting.
    It would be interesting to know if songs in the iTunes library that are 44.1KHz crackle in the standard music player...anybody able to confirm if that happens?

No crackle here

• edited November 2018

It seems apparent Apple really doesn't care about the musicians who use their products. Hopefully apps like Gadget and the upcoming Nanostudio 2 won't be borked. Can anyone confirm if Gadget runs fine, and if so, that Gadget's Vancouver and Bilbao can play 44.1kHz samples normally?

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    It seems apparent Apple really doesn't care about the musicians who use their products. Hopefully apps like Gadget and the upcoming Nanostudio 2 won't be borked. Can anyone confirm if Gadget runs fine, and if so, that Gadget's Vancouver and Bilbao can play 44.1kHz samples normally?

It’s only an issue with the internal speakers on the iPad. Once I attach my headphone adapter I can switch back to 44.1 in my DAW

• Also worth noting is that the Apple Lightning- 3.5mm dongle locks the sample rate at 48K causing the same kind of sample-rate miss match and other 'issues'. I guess the same 48K lock is the same for the Apple USB-C->3.5mm dongle as well.

• @3sleeves said:

@ocelot said:

Never had the crackling with mis-matched sample rates, but had pitch and timing issues that weren't immediately noticeable.

@Samu said:
    Also worth noting is that the Apple Lightning- 3.5mm dongle locks the sample rate at 48K causing the same kind of sample-rate miss match and other 'issues'. I guess the same 48K lock is the same for the Apple USB-C->3.5mm dongle as well.

Are they locked at 48khz (so no other sample rate is available)?
    Or are they capped at 48khz (meaning 48khz is the highest available sample rate but others like 44.1khz can be chosen)?

• @ocelot said:

Are they locked at 48khz (so no other sample rate is available)?
    Or are they capped at 48khz (meaning 48khz is the highest available sample rate but others like 44.1khz can be chosen)?

Locked to 48k, can't even select 44.1k...

• @Samu said:

Locked to 48k, can't even select 44.1k...

Oh my, didn't realize that! Thanks!

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

It’s only an issue with the internal speakers on the iPad. Once I attach my headphone adapter I can switch back to 44.1 in my DAW

Wait, so Gadget (and others) have artifacts when playing through iPad Pro 2018 speakers...? :o

• edited November 2018

@Samu said:
    Also worth noting is that the Apple Lightning- 3.5mm dongle locks the sample rate at 48K causing the same kind of sample-rate miss match and other 'issues'. I guess the same 48K lock is the same for the Apple USB-C->3.5mm dongle as well.

I've also noticed an issue with 44.1 on my setup with 12.9 pro2017 and my ica4 and using Windows at the same time. It seems happiest at 48, even though I can set it all to 44.1, I get what seems like occasional sample rate mismatching when it's at 44.1. So I've always thought something seems to be locked at 48 even when everything is selected as 44.1.

So I've never really understood what's happening and why this sample rate mismatch was happening.

• edited November 2018

@R_2 said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Wait, so Gadget (and others) have artifacts when playing through iPad Pro 2018 speakers...? :o

I don’t have gadget to test but BM3 works fine at 48khz through the speakers. I was saying the 48khz problem lies within the internal speakers but not with an adapter (at least the adapter/hub I have)

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@R_2 said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

I don’t have gadget to test but BM3 works fine at 48khz through the speakers. I was saying the 48khz problem lies within the internal speakers but not with an adapter (at least the adapter/hub I have)

Okay, still curious if anyone with Gadget on a Pro’18 can check (imported) 44.1khz samples.

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Phew. Okay, and are bluetooth speakers/earbuds/airpods safe too?

• @R_2 said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@R_2 said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Okay, still curious if anyone with Gadget on a Pro’18 can check (imported) 44.1khz samples.

Anybody with a 12.9 Pro 2018 and Gadget that can check this? I plan to use the internal speakers regularly.

• The Non-Pro iPad's will be better suited for internal audio at 16/44...

• This has totally put me off - if this meens all my project audio at 44.1 will have playback stutter/weird pitch through the ipad pro speakers count me out - I never complain about Apple but this makes no sense - has this issue occured with everyone who has bought the 2018 Pro?

• @stormbeats said:
    This has totally put me off - if this meens all my project audio at 44.1 will have playback stutter/weird pitch through the ipad pro speakers count me out - I never complain about Apple but this makes no sense - has this issue occured with everyone who has bought the 2018 Pro?

I’m not having issues with BM3 except with synths that already have problems running at 48 like Tera synth and syntronik

• https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8626162
    Maybe not a issue to many on here as we need to hear sound but some are saying they still hear sound through the speakers of the new Pro2018 when the sound is turned all the way down Hope this does not cause any weird gltches if you attach an external sound card and sound leaks through the internal speakers .....

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@stormbeats said:
    This has totally put me off - if this meens all my project audio at 44.1 will have playback stutter/weird pitch through the ipad pro speakers count me out - I never complain about Apple but this makes no sense - has this issue occured with everyone who has bought the 2018 Pro?

I’m not having issues with BM3 except with synths that already have problems running at 48 like Tera synth and syntronik

Ok i feel bit guilty cos ive told a friend get the new ipad2018 if he can afford it Hopefully it will be ok - are your 44.1 audiofiles sounding ok through the ipad speakers?

• @stormbeats said:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8626162
    Maybe not a issue to many on here as we need to hear sound but some are saying they still hear sound through the speakers of the new Pro2018 when the sound is turned all the way down Hope this does not cause any weird gltches if you attach an external sound card and sound leaks through the internal speakers .....

Can confirm it’s doing this on my 12.9 model. I had to put my ear on the speaker to notice tho.

@stormbeats said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@stormbeats said:

Ok i feel bit guilty cos ive told a friend get the new ipad2018 if he can afford it Hopefully it will be ok - are your 44.1 audiofiles sounding ok through the ipad speakers?

Yea everything plays fine

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@stormbeats said:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8626162

Can confirm it’s doing this on my 12.9 model. I had to put my ear on the speaker to notice tho.

@stormbeats said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@stormbeats said:

Yea everything plays fine

Ok cheers for info

• edited November 2018

It's not so much a problem with Apple...
    It's developers not coding their IAA's and AUv3's to lock to the host app rates. You can read about it here: http://lijon.github.io/iaa_sample_rates.html

I have been having this problem since day one but in the other direction 96khz. So, I'm glad Apple is forcing hand on it...looks like we finally got a pro piece of hardware...it will get solved but developers will have to update their apps...for Flexible sample rate!

• @nerVe said:
    It's developers not coding their IAA's and AUv3's to lock to the host app rates. You can read about it here: http://lijon.github.io/iaa_sample_rates.html

I have been having this problem since day one but in the other direction 96khz. So, I'm glad Apple is forcing hand on it...looks like we finally got a pro piece of hardware...it will get solved but developers will have to update their apps...for Flexible sample rate!

Ok cool i may have misread the earlier posts and was thinking the new Pro does not playback any 44.1khz files through the internal speakers

• @stormbeats said:

@nerVe said:

Ok cool i may have misread the earlier posts and was thinking the new Pro does not playback any 44.1khz files through the internal speakers

Yea that’s super false. Just went through a bunch of samples in AudioShare. Perfectly fine