Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pros 2018 look like :-) USB-C heaven (-: for musicians

edited November 2018 in Other

OK, I'm tired of posting info on that "USB-C hell" thread (no offense to the OP) but I wanted to keep the topic going. Its an important discussion, but I think it deserves a more positive outlook ;-)

I honestly think USB-C is going to be amazing. We've got a few reports from new owners that USB-C is working well. I'd love to see people post screenshots with details of what is working. I don't have a 2018 iPad Pro... yet. But here's my dream setup:

This large, bulky hub can just sit permanently on my studio desk with:

• 5 USB devices (4 MIDI + audio interface) .
  • plus ethernet for fast transfers from my NAS files.
  • plus external monitor when I'm working on video/photo.
  • plus 80 watt power to charge iPad and power all the peripherals

At $100 its not any more expensive than the lightning dongle when I want USB + the HDMI dongle when I want external monitor + different charging situations, USB hubs, etc.
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TCDK10PMHSG/

Post pics below if you have USB-C working its magic on your new iPad Pro

Comments

• Here's what I'm using:

This plugs into the iPad and provides headphone/audio output and a USB-C pass-thru which then feeds the hub below:

This hub provides:
    Instant Expansion: USB-C Hub with charging port, HDMI Port, 3 x USB 3.0 Ports, SD Memory Card
    100W Power Delivery: Charging your MacBook Pro or other type-C port devices while connecting multiple peripherals and transferring data
    4K Video Adapter: Mirror or extend your screen with USB C Hub HDMI port and directly stream 4K UHD or Full HD 1080p video to HDTV, monitor or projector
    USB 3.0 Ports: Allow you to connect keyboard, mouse, thumb drive to MacBook Pro or other Type-C devices, and access files from SD card reader
    Mac-Style Design: 2.5D unibody aluminum alloy exterior, ionized finish, reinforced TPE cable coating, and Mac-style LED activity indicator. EMI protection to prevent interfere with wireless devices

• Interesting approach ;)
    I am really excited about the development of this thread. This may be the final reason to ditch my pro 2017 for a new shiny 2018 “11 - the removal of the headphone jack is my biggest hindrance though.
    So keep post coming. Looks interesting!!

• I forgot to mention, on that OWC hub I posted above it does have a 3.5mm headphone jack on the front side :+1: as well as a SD card slot.

I don't honestly see the 3.5mm jack as a huge loss. We have decades of plugging in 1/4" to 1/8" dongles (or whatever we called them before dongles were invented) so USB-C to 3.5mm is just a new required adapter when we're out on the go away from the studio.

• @sch I'm impressed that the headphone splitter/ charger actually passes through the USB-C data not just charging. That looks like a good setup!

• @Hmtx said:
    OK, I'm tired of posting info on that "USB-C hell" thread (no offense to the OP) but I wanted to keep the topic going. Its an important discussion, but I think it deserves a more positive outlook ;-)

I always like the half full Glas much more than the half empty Glas! 😊👍

• edited November 2018

Is there right now somewhere a dongle available that will enable me to still use my lightning stuff? During the transition time to usb c

Not a big friend of dongle in dongle.

• edited November 2018

@david_2017 said:
    Is there right now somewhere a dongle available that will enable me to still use my lightning stuff? During the transition time to usb c

Not a big friend of dongle in dongle.

Funny thing is that USB-C actually eliminates dongles.
    up to now we needed at minimum:

• lightning to USB adapter (our dearly beloved dongle of old)
    • USB cable to ... USB hub or MIDI controller

Now the new minimum is:

• one USB-C to USB cable (just with the correct USB format on the other end for your MIDI device or USB hub). This is an industry-wide standard, so its just a matter of finding the right cable and you should be good.

But to answer your question... this item can easily replace your lightning to USB 3 adapter with no other gear change needed. It will power your iPad and provide a standard USB output for all your current stuff.

• Interesting. The cool Apple accessory is mine for only 80€ oh Apple...

One more question: is USB c the end of mfi?
    I HATE it when some cables work and some stop working after the next update (had this also with Apple original cables)
    So basically: is USB C just USB C and will work with the es ipad?

• @sch Whats the name of the first apadter that you posted? That looks like the perfect small solution for me.

• @metal_monk said:
    @sch Whats the name of the first apadter that you posted? That looks like the perfect small solution for me.

https://www.amazon.ca/Charging-Splitter-Headphone-Essential-More-Silver/dp/B07FVMCX7J/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1541003263&sr=8-4&keywords=USB-C+headphone+splitter

He posted it on the other thread...

• If I ever meet the guy who had the idea to remove the headphone jack I just might hit him on the forehead repeatedly with my newest dongle until one of them breaks. 😘

• Like to show support to @Hmtx and everyone else posting here 😊 I’m v.interested + excited to see how usb-c can change the iOS game so to speak..💕

• @sch Does the headphone jack in that dongle preclude using a usb audio interface plugged into the hub?

I ask, as you could only ever use one interface at a time on previous iPads.

• Last audio device connected, connect one should bypass any already in the hub.

• Thanks for this thread 👍 I see some good options

• This is a guess, but all that stuff that used to be in the bezels — the screen backlight circuitry etc, had to go somewhere. That might be the reason Apple removed the jack.

I’m actually less annoyed by the jack removal here than on the iPhone. I’m definitely looking forward to a less cluttered setup on my desk, too. And maybe with USB-C, the iPad battery won’t drain, even while it’s plugged into the lightning Camera Connection Kit

• @mistercharlie said:
    @sch Does the headphone jack in that dongle preclude using a usb audio interface plugged into the hub?

I ask, as you could only ever use one interface at a time on previous iPads.

Dunno... but if I was using my Duo Capture EX, then I'd skip the headphone dongle and plug the phones into the EX.

• schsch
    edited November 2018

I'm pretty sure that you can also use a passive splitter USB-C/audio cord, rather than the device I opted for. The Apple headphone dongle itself is a simple (very shot) cable with the appropriate connectors on each end. I went with an active interface to have more isolation etc that the DAC provides.

• Currently using a J5 create USB C connector on the 12.9 iPad Pro and it works just like the USB 3 CCK

• If they put the port in the same place as the headphone jack I would be cooler with ditching the headphone jack. Why the center? Why? Why etc

• edited November 2018

@YZJustDatGuy said:
    Currently using a J5 create USB C connector on the 12.9 iPad Pro and it works just like the USB 3 CCK

“just like the USB 3 CCK” ... except without the “Apple tax” high prices. :+1: 👏🏼 Excellent, thanks for posting.

• [off-topic: and seeing that photo @YZJustDatGuy I now hate my fat bezels on the old 12.9 even more than ever :lol: ]

• edited November 2018

Gonna need a nice dongle at some point
    but so far dongle free feels good too😬

I’m really happy with how the new case holds up under some serious finger drumming. Provides a nice little angle when tapping notes on screen.

• @echoopera said:

I’m really happy with how the new case holds up under some serious finger drumming. Provides a nice little angle when tapping notes on screen.

Built in speakers ?
    A quick review of them, volume, quality and so on ?

• The speakers sounds really good.

• @echoopera said:
    The speakers sounds really good.

Agreed. Like noticeably better compared to last generation

• Crazy how much better they sound I thought too, and loud.

• R_2R_2
    edited November 2018

@echoopera said:

You got 12.9 right? Why isn’t Gadget filling up the screen 100%? I see black bars on the side.

• @R_2 said:

@R_2 said:

@echoopera said:

You got 12.9 right? Why isn’t Gadget filling up the screen 100%? I see black bars on the side.

@echoopera said:

New aspect ratios on the iPads because of the rounded corners