Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mellowsound, new app by Fingerlab

Comments

• Cool I’ve always liked fingerlab apps.

• That Strawberry Fields(ish) demo was good - very close to the original sound.

• Nice! That's a hefty download but when you read that each note of each instrument was sampled for this I guess that explains that.

• But, but it doesn’t even seem to be AU.....and there’s a half dozen Mellotrons already

• Great sounds for £2.99 a no brainier def one of the better mellotrons out there. Seeing the UVI sample pack normal price is £6.99 this is worth it I think. Ok no AU but sits well with other apps for mult midi playing.

• Virtual midi appears to be broken ? Also no background audio in settings so maybe not so good !

• The Fingerlab folks are nice people. Mellowsound is built with AudioKit.
    It's based on the same tech as the original FM Player!

Great to see people using my code. 🤘

• It's a tough one, I'm a 'collector' but while it's hard to say the iOS market is mature it does have a lot of versions of a lot of things now which means even indiscriminate magpies like myself have begun to slow down somewhat....

• Also there is a octave limit on sounds which is quite restrictive on plugging a midi keyboard in so must be sample based !

• Although I have Manetron2, MellotronXL, and lots of soundfonts loaded into bs-16i and SoundFount Pro, I went ahead and took the plunge. Mellowsound sounds VERY good.

• @JeffChasteen said:
    Although I have Manetron2, MellotronXL, and lots of soundfonts loaded into bs-16i and SoundFount Pro, I went ahead and took the plunge. Mellowsound sounds VERY good.

Me too :) And agreed. It does sound lovely....dammit :)

• @Jumpercollins said:
    It must be sample based !

You are correct. The Mellotron is one of the original ROMplers – Created in 1963. All modern Mellotron apps & hardware samples those samples. i.e. Sampling a vintage sampler.

• edited November 2018

Works great duel playing alongside with the St. Just church organ turned my studio into a church Hall this afternoon, also good with D1.

• The delay feedback is crazy, for looping seems to go to infinity.

• Certainly don’t need it, as I have M3000, which sounds great (and looks awful, which somehow seems à propos for a recreation of this old beast).

Curious however, for all the usual reasons. Installed the free Temptationware version, which is already 394 MB. Does it balloon further with the IAP, or is all the content already there, and the IAP simply unlocks it?

Also, would be a no brainer were it AU.

• @Cliffy said:
    Certainly don’t need it, as I have M3000, which sounds great (and looks awful, which somehow seems à propos for a recreation of this old beast).

Curious however, for all the usual reasons. Installed the free Temptationware version, which is already 394 MB. Does it balloon further with the IAP, or is all the content already there, and the IAP simply unlocks it?

Also, would be a no brainer were it AU.

396MB with the IAP

• @analog_matt said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    It must be sample based !

You are correct. The Mellotron is one of the original ROMplers – Created in 1963. All modern Mellotron apps & hardware samples those samples. i.e. Sampling a vintage sampler.

Do all the Mellotron apps use the same sample sets? I’ve listened to a few, but the ‘Strawberry Fields’ demo on this one sounds better than others I’ve heard.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Do all the Mellotron apps use the same sample sets? I’ve listened to a few, but the ‘Strawberry Fields’ demo on this one sounds better than others I’ve heard.

That's a good question. I'd suspect it has to do with how much access/rights a developer has to the original samples. And/or the condition of the original machine they sample, if they process/restore the samples, etc

• edited November 2018

Currently can only get it to work outside of Standalone is in AB3, doesn’t work in AUM, or Cubasis 2 freezes or crashes.

• @analog_matt said:

@MonzoPro said:

That's a good question. I'd suspect it has to do with how much access/rights a developer has to the original samples. And/or the condition of the original machine they sample, if they process/restore the samples, etc

Ah ok cheers Matt. My mate used to have one in his front room (used to belong to Genesis), I should have recorded it!

• I just downloaded it and paid the $3 for the IAP. I like it - hoping AUv3 comes down the road but even if not this fills the Mellotron slot nicely. M3000 is way too over-priced for me and this sounds just as good on a quick listen.

I'm a fan of Fingerlab - soundpacks for DM1 were some of the few IAPs I've made. Great app - wish they'd make it AU. And their app Musyc is brilliant - if only they'd make it IAA at least....

• @MonzoPro said:
    Ah ok cheers Matt. My mate used to have one in his front room (used to belong to Genesis), I should have recorded it!

WOW!!!!

• @Daveypoo said:
    And their app Musyc is brilliant - if only they'd make it IAA at least....

I have the current version of Musyc Pro installed and working as IAA inside AUM on an iPad Air 2 running iOS 12.1. The Musyc App Store description says it has IAA and is the same size as the Pro version of the app.

• @InfoCheck said:

@Daveypoo said:

I have the current version of Musyc Pro installed and working as IAA inside AUM on an iPad Air 2 running iOS 12.1. The Musyc App Store description says it has IAA and is the same size as the Pro version of the app.

Hmmm - I'll have to try again then....

• @Daveypoo said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Daveypoo said:

The midi out in the next update...
    been waiting like a year for that now.

• I don‘t need another Mellotron. I have Manetron, Mellotron XL, M3000 and the sounds in Module, so ... I just bought it anyway. Damn.

• @LeonKowalski said:
    I don‘t need another Mellotron. I have Manetron, Mellotron XL, M3000 and the sounds in Module, so ... I just bought it anyway. Damn.

The Beathawk Mellotron IAP is on sale right now, btw. >:)

• @CracklePot said:

@Daveypoo said:

@InfoCheck said:

@Daveypoo said:

The midi out in the next update...
    been waiting like a year for that now.

MIDI out for Musyc would be genius. If only....

• @aaronpc said:

@LeonKowalski said:
    I don‘t need another Mellotron. I have Manetron, Mellotron XL, M3000 and the sounds in Module, so ... I just bought it anyway. Damn.

The Beathawk Mellotron IAP is on sale right now, btw. >:)

Don‘t do that! DON‘T DO THAT! 🤯