Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Mac Mini reviews are good

Some very good reviews coming out for the new Mini, and even the £799 base model is packing a decent punch speed wise:

"the single-core performance of the $799 Mac mini isn’t far off from the 2017 21.5-inch 3.4GHz Core i5 iMac that sells for $1,499. The iMac is only 4 percent faster. Another interesting data point: The new Mac mini outperforms the 2013 3.5GHz Xeon E5 Mac Pro by 23 percent...." "...In the Geekbench 64-bit Multi-Core test, the $799 Mac mini more than doubled the performance of the three older models. Bottom line: If you use apps that can take advantage of multiple cores, you’re going to see a huge speed increase with the new Mac mini. It’s well worth the cost of upgrading."

https://www.macworld.com/article/3318501/macs/799-mac-mini-review.html#tk.rss_all

I need to replace my Windows work PC - a 9 year old Dell, and this looks like it'll do the job nicely.

Comments

• Seems like it might be a great machine for live streaming to twitch or youtube. Tiny foot print.

• edited November 2018

I personally would see if I could build a faster PC for the $800. Unless I specifically need the small footprint, or Mac OS, for specialized needs. But maybe it's close in value for the money - my continuously overclocked PC CPU/ram/motherboard are going on 7 years old so it's been awhile since I built one.

• I love iOS, but the new Mac Mini was the best thing that Apple announced last week. It even appears to have user-replaceable SSD and RAM. N

• @Hmtx said:
    I love iOS, but the new Mac Mini was the best thing that Apple announced last week. It even appears to have user-replaceable SSD and RAM. N

They're listed as non-user servicable, and a bit of a fiddle, but apparently it can be done.

I've had my eye on an iMac for a desktop replacement for a while now, but the entry level Mini delivers almost the same performance for half the price - plus I can re-use my existing monitor. Also the iMac's are still using the old chips.

Hmmm...definitely worth considering this one. There won't be much, if any speed increase over my Dell PC, but it'll be ok for basic office and graphic work, and I can always sneak a bit of music stuff on it by hooking up the external SSD I use with my Macbook Pro.

• yeah, crazy to see the performance increases. I'm just happy to see that upgradeable RAM is available:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/owc/apple-mac-mini/2018

No way I could afford 32GB now, but I could get by with 8GB until prices come down... :+1:

• @Hmtx said:
    yeah, crazy to see the performance increases. I'm just happy to see that upgradeable RAM is available:

No way I could afford 32GB now, but I could get by with 8GB until prices come down... :+1:

I'll be doing the same with the hard drive - getting the basic 128gb spec for the OS and a few core apps, then hooking on an external £100 external 500gb SSD for other apps and file storage rather than the £360 upgrade.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Hmtx said:
    yeah, crazy to see the performance increases. I'm just happy to see that upgradeable RAM is available:

I'll be doing the same with the hard drive - getting the basic 128gb spec for the OS and a few core apps, then hooking on an external £100 external 500gb SSD for other apps and file storage rather than the £360 upgrade.

Thanks for posting, I've waited an age too for an affordable upgrade, expandable too, great news. Should be fine with a Crucial MX500 1tb SSD @ £160.

• @knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Hmtx said:

Thanks for posting, I've waited an age too for an affordable upgrade, expandable too, great news. Should be fine with a Crucial MX500 1tb SSD @ £160.

Yeah, I've been running a copy of the OS plus music software via a bootable 500mb SSD, in a cheap plastic case, connected via USB3 to my old Macbook Pro for a few months now, and it runs like a dream. 8 - 10 times faster than the internal HD.

• @MonzoPro said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Hmtx said:

Yeah, I've been running a copy of the OS plus music software via a bootable 500mb SSD, in a cheap plastic case, connected via USB3 to my old Macbook Pro for a few months now, and it runs like a dream. 8 - 10 times faster than the internal HD.

Yes and just as with iOS 12, Apple have, for the most optimised OSX in the Mojave release. My late 2012 Mini is doing fine, but Apple didn't offer much in a reasonable upgrade, over the intervening years, until now. The latest iPad I'm in no rush to upgrade, only maybe the second gen Pro 12.9. I'm certainly interested in the new Mini though.

• @knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Hmtx said:

Sounds reasonable, but where did you read this?
    Crucial don't list any current SSD as compatible with the Mini 2018, only RAM.

• The SSD is soldered.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Some very good reviews coming out for the new Mini, and even the £799 base model is packing a decent punch speed wise:

"the single-core performance of the $799 Mac mini isn’t far off from the 2017 21.5-inch 3.4GHz Core i5 iMac that sells for $1,499. The iMac is only 4 percent faster. Another interesting data point: The new Mac mini outperforms the 2013 3.5GHz Xeon E5 Mac Pro by 23 percent...." "...In the Geekbench 64-bit Multi-Core test, the $799 Mac mini more than doubled the performance of the three older models. Bottom line: If you use apps that can take advantage of multiple cores, you’re going to see a huge speed increase with the new Mac mini. It’s well worth the cost of upgrading."

https://www.macworld.com/article/3318501/macs/799-mac-mini-review.html#tk.rss_all

I need to replace my Windows work PC - a 9 year old Dell, and this looks like it'll do the job nicely.

Weird article
    "The CPU in the $799 Mac mini is a 3.6GHz Core i5."
    On the Apple website
    3.6GHz quad-core 8th-generation Intel Core i3 processor $799

• @rs2000 said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Hmtx said:

Sounds reasonable, but where did you read this?
    Crucial don't list any current SSD as compatible with the Mini 2018, only RAM.

Boot via USB to the SSD

• @knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Hmtx said:

Yes and just as with iOS 12, Apple have, for the most optimised OSX in the Mojave release. My late 2012 Mini is doing fine, but Apple didn't offer much in a reasonable upgrade, over the intervening years, until now. The latest iPad I'm in no rush to upgrade, only maybe the second gen Pro 12.9. I'm certainly interested in the new Mini though.

Mojave is still buggy even Ableton doesn't run on it (yet). Enormous problem because 9 is incompatible with Mojave and 10 (the only Ableton version avaible) is still in beta. Most Macheads I know are still using El Capitan.

• @greengrocer said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Hmtx said:

Mojave is still buggy even Ableton doesn't run on it (yet). Enormous problem because 9 is incompatible with Mojave and 10 (the only Ableton version avaible) is still in beta. Most Macheads I know are still using El Capitan.

Logic Pro X is fine, a few Plugins need upgrading, but that's pretty much the usual case.

• @greengrocer said:

@MonzoPro said:

Weird article
    "The CPU in the $799 Mac mini is a 3.6GHz Core i5."
    On the Apple website
    3.6GHz quad-core 8th-generation Intel Core i3 processor $799

Yeah just noticed that when I was checking processor charts, they've listed it correctly in the results graph though so just a typo.

Looks like the processor speed is comparable with my 8 year old Dell (that's fine, it's fast enough for me), but I'll get a boost from the SSD as the Dell is an old HD. The entry level Mini is also clocked faster than my 2012 Macbook Pro, which again runs ok with an external SSD.

Wish it had more storage and a faster CPU for the price, but at least £799 will get me a Mac based desktop replacement.

I'll chew it over for a bit and keep an eye on Black Friday sales, but it's top of my list at the mmoent.

• @o_imseng said:
    The SSD is soldered.

Yeah, I just realized this. I would go with 256GB for the main SSD.

The other SSD options mentioned in this thread are referring to external SSD storage connected via Thunderbolt. It is very fast, and will be good enough for those who don't want to pay $1,400 for Apple's 2TB SSD.

• @knewspeak said:

@greengrocer said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Hmtx said:

Logic Pro X is fine, a few Plugins need upgrading, but that's pretty much the usual case.

Yes....i would say Abelton is buggy since all tools and DAW’s i own runs well in Mojave.

• @knewspeak said:

@greengrocer said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Hmtx said:

Of course the bugs will be ironed out. But in my opinion nearly all new Mac OS realeses are beta versions. And that's not a good thing. btw with Mojave it seems harder to downgrade than ever. iOS policies seems to be implemented also on Mac OS nowadays.

• @greengrocer said:

@knewspeak said:

@greengrocer said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Hmtx said:

Of course the bugs will be ironed out. But in my opinion nearly all new Mac OS realeses are beta versions. And that's not a good thing. btw with Mojave it seems harder to downgrade than ever. iOS policies seems to be implemented also on Mac OS nowadays.

You could run several different versions of Mac OSX via external USB if you wished.

• @knewspeak said:

@greengrocer said:

@knewspeak said:

@greengrocer said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Hmtx said:

You could run several different versions of Mac OSX via external USB if you wished.

That would be a „GAMECHANGER“ on iOS :)

• Waiting on a tear down to see how difficult it is to replace RAM
    Could be my next machine mid/late 2019

• @Cib said:

@knewspeak said:

@greengrocer said:

@knewspeak said:

@greengrocer said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Hmtx said:

That would be a „GAMECHANGER“ on iOS :)

That'll be the day! :D

• edited November 2018

@knewspeak said:

@greengrocer said:

@knewspeak said:

@greengrocer said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Hmtx said:

This is what I'm doing now - I run an older version of OSX on the SSD, and a later version on the MBP internal HD.

• What version of an older mac mini would be good to run multiple vsts on?

• @knewspeak said:

@greengrocer said:

@knewspeak said:

@greengrocer said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Hmtx said:

Source or link or a Youtube example movie would be nice

• @greengrocer said:

@knewspeak said:

@greengrocer said:

@knewspeak said:

@greengrocer said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Hmtx said:

Source or link or a Youtube example movie would be nice

Look up cloning OSX via disk utility, this creates a clone to USB external drive, you can then enter the boot menu and select which drive to boot from. You can then use different drives with versions of OSX for compatibility with older/newer software.

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    Waiting on a tear down to see how difficult it is to replace RAM
    Could be my next machine mid/late 2019

It doesn't sound any more difficult than my Mac Mini late 2012 drive replacement, but it would be interesting to see if the PCI-e is just a sata-bridge.

• @knewspeak said:
    ... it would be interesting to see if the PCI-e is just a sata-bridge.

that would be unfortunate. At the advertised SSD speeds, you would think this has to be a true PCI-e nvme.

• @greengrocer said:

Doesn't run on Mojave? Live 10 (non-beta) over here works pretty good as far as I can tell...