Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Pro 2018 for USB-C audio out and HDMI video out

When the iPad Pro 2018 is out in the wild, I will be interested to know how this scenario will work. Apple tells us USB-C will handle HDMI video out, and like iPads now, hopefully USB-C would work with a class compliant audio interface. The question is: what will happen when we connect a USB-C hub that has video out to HDMI and also tryto run audio to the USB auidio interface?

In the past it was impossible to run audio out to two audio interfaces.

Will the new iPad have to choose between sending audio to hdmi or to the USB interface? Or will both work?

Comments

• First come first use. Aggregatted devices aren’t implemented in iOS (yet and probably never)

• Its last come first use isn't it ?
    The last device connected gets used for audio.
    If it was first device connected you could only ever use the speakers or headphone.

• @Turntablist said:
    Its last come first use isn't it ?
    The last device connected gets used for audio.
    If it was first device connected you could only ever use the speakers or headphone.

You are right. I messed the order.
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/14877/ipad-and-multiple-audio-interfaces

In the other hand is hardly iPad will bypass video output through usb hub. Or share the audio part (probably will get an error or override the second in this case).
    The way usually Apple makes things point exclusivity for port so if it works as hdmi then no chance of usb audio interface at the same time. Again I can be wrong and maybe Apple releases it’s own hub but probably they want you to connect to an Mac the same way like IDAM works. There’s some hope since iPad pro (2018) seems work as host aside endpoint (charging iPhone) but don’t hold your breath...

• Yeah, I know about the iOS default action for not allowing more than one audio interface. ( ios will not aggregate two devices).

What we don’t know is how iOS will handle HDMI + an audio interface. We’ll just have to see from testing. I guess I started this thread prematurely since it will be a few more days yet.

One reason I’m a bit hopeful is that Michael has somehow managed to make the 3.5mm jack work within Audiobus even while an audio interface is connected. Maybe a similar setting can be used for HDMI output.

• IOS does aggregate audio devices, but in a slightly strange way, it just replaces via availability, so for instance if you plug in an input via Lightning (Apogee Jam) it aggregates this to the built in chipset so that you can still use the built in speakers or headphone jack, but replaces the built in input with new Lightning input.
    So IOS has the ability to aggregate, maybe they will upgrade it to full duplex for the HDMI support.

• @Turntablist said:
    IOS does aggregate audio devices, but in a slightly strange way, it just replaces via availability, so for instance if you plug in an input via Lightning (Apogee Jam) it aggregates this to the built in chipset so that you can still use the built in speakers or headphone jack, but replaces the built in input with new Lightning input.
    So IOS has the ability to aggregate, maybe they will upgrade it to full duplex for the HDMI support.

Aggregate in the way macOS do it should had been said. :wink:

Let’s hope Apple truly makes iOS pro and allow these things. My gut says not at the moment btw...

• edited November 2018

@Dubbylabby said:

@Turntablist said:
    IOS does aggregate audio devices, but in a slightly strange way, it just replaces via availability, so for instance if you plug in an input via Lightning (Apogee Jam) it aggregates this to the built in chipset so that you can still use the built in speakers or headphone jack, but replaces the built in input with new Lightning input.

Aggregate in the way macOS do it should had been said. :wink:

Let’s hope Apple truly makes iOS pro and allow these things. My gut says not at the moment btw...

I really hope that too. I think the hardware finally is there for most of the pro apps (beside the ones which needs a lot RAM and heavy multi-core performance) but what limits the "laptop replacement" is really only iOS and in general the software we can get.
    There is so much missing for me but in theory it should work and some things could work even better on such an iPad.
    But beside the limitations i also see the benefits from iOS like much more easy install, deinstall, no need of tons of different accounts and copy protections etc.
    But also Apple is going into higher speced laptop territory with their prices. So at the point where iPads really could replace my macbook pro it won´t be different in price maybe for the same specs.
    If Apple could add mouse support, i could get some of my tools i miss, a much better file system (the files app is still not quite there) and could use a keyboard for short-cuts and midi input across all apps i could imagine using iOS only in the future again.
    Also i must consider beside the current limitations that Apple for sure will put more power into iOS and mac is more and more a side-project they could leave one day and just offer big workstations like a new mac pro and their iPads as mobile solution.
    I was not sure some time ago but i must say that iOS seems clearly the future in one or the other way.....not sure if i like it but if i won´t change to a windows set-up i think i have to deal with it.
    So i think now also it might be time for Appel to bring Final Cut and Logic to the iPads optimzed for the latest iPads to show that they mean it serious.
    I´m really tempted to buy these new iPads but it´s a bit annoying that i need to go maxed out if i want the 6GB RAM.
    I know i would take the 6GB RAM since i still hope better sample libraries will come to iOS in near future as well.
    Right now i could already change my mind about iOS and an iPad as workstation if i could get at least 4 of my favorite missing FX for iOS (which would be 2CAudio´s B2, Breeze 2 and Precedence and Replika XT delay from Native Instruments....it´s so damn good and huge sounding).
    Investing 2k is gives me still a bad feeling since repairs get expensive if needed and the value for resell goes down more and more as well with Apple products, especially for the high speced devices.
    I guess i will try it again this year and see how it compares to my current notebook workflow.
    What i would hope also is that someone take it really to the next level (i would prefer NS2 here of course) and support f.e. the smart keyboard or any other keyboard as midi input and for short cuts....mainly like i can do it in Logic. I can play much better actually on a computer keyboard i ever could do on a touch screen.
    So i could mimic my current notebook workflow but with multi-touch on top. This could actually be indeed a game changer for me :)

• To me it’s far easy... and works like this.

:trollface:

• It´s already justified as midlife crisis G.A.S. :D

• @Cib said:
    It´s already justified as midlife crisis G.A.S. :D

I should made another draw for professional hobbist and bored oldbies
    :trollface:

• Reviving this thread to address this question for any who might have it, like I did. I’m using the hyper drive hub that has an hdmi out as well as an 1/8 audio jack. It will run hdmi out while u have another audio interface connected to it. However as others have stated it will not run audio thru both.

U have to pick one of the 3 (hdmi, headphone, or audio interface.) using screenflow via camlink 4K, I’m able to have it not use hdmi audio in which allows me to use my iPad Pro 2018 audio interface (scarlet 2i2 gen3) and route it’s outs to my presonus monitor station, which I then run into my apogee element 46. This allows me zero latency screen recording while making beats, without relying on iPad screen record. I also can configure a microphone and make the set up more complex via loopback and a desktop daw if I want to commentate live while recording.

So to recap, on a 2018 iPad Pro with a hub, you can use hdmi out visually and have the audio interface for audio. Standard practice is connecting your audio interface last though. Using the hyper drive with a headphone jack, the headphone jack won’t work if u are using hdmi audio out or the audio interface. Hope this helps anyone who has the same question.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    So to recap, on a 2018 iPad Pro with a hub, you can use hdmi out visually and have the audio interface for audio. Standard practice is connecting your audio interface last though. Using the hyper drive with a headphone jack, the headphone jack won’t work if u are using hdmi audio out or the audio interface. Hope this helps anyone who has the same question.

Just to add to this, the hubs with headphone jacks have their own d/a and can have some intermittent take-over problems. I use a hub without a headphone jack and wanted to recommend the Kingston Nucleum as a decent choice :)