Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ampify - We're back on Audiobus. Tell us your frustrations (and hopes)

Comments

• OK so if we really do want these things to be addressed then lets help them out a bit. As a developer myself I know that the first thing you need to do when presented with a list like this (after taking a deep breath) is set the order in which you are going to tackle them. As Matt is on holiday for 2 weeks, why don't we use that time to try and put this lot into some sort of order for them ?

We all use apps differently, and will all have different priorities, go by what is important to you !

I think separating bugs from features would make things a little easier. And just because I have put something as annoying bug doesn't mean you have to, for you it could be critical !

Bugs first !

Urgent Bugs
    Any major bugs that you have identified. Major bugs are things that are not working as they should and stop you from doing what you want rather than things that are annoying, be sure to include the App name (LP, BW, GB).

Audio engine freeze issue - We've found this and will try to get fixes out soon.

Annoying bugs
    Any bugs that are there but that do not stop you from using the apps

BW - Fix audio input issue in Audiobus
    BW/LP - Issue with offset timing using Audio Share 'open in'
    BW - Offset errors in audio

Feature Requests
    These are my own personal priorities, if we each do this we can come up with some sort of concensus that Matt can pick up on his return ?

I have added in italics something not on the list that I'd like added as I'm also guessing that this list isn't a promise that these features will appear, just that they have been noted for consideration.
    Feel free to do the same ! If we don't ask, we definitely won't get :D

Groovebox
    1. Automation
    2. Better zooming in the piano roll
    3. Track re-ordering
    4. Import user samples
    5. New 'keyboard sampler/synth' with optional direct access to files in Blocs Wave.
    6. Awesome sampler thing :-) (will this do chromatic sample playback? if so put it above the one above currently)
    7. MIDI export
    8. Simple EQ
    9. User preset saving/loading
    10. Record count in

BW
    1. Better file management
    2. Tuner (Assuming this can be used to set root note for samples)
    3. Better slicing
    4. Sync session switching
    5. Drag and drop sounds
    6. Pitch change on pads
    7. Broader sound content pool (including vocals)
    8. Better discover
    9. Metronome

LP
    1. Drag and drop sounds
    2. Arrange/song mode
    3. Feature parity with iPad version

General
    1. Disable autosave (or better management of versions)
    2. Files support for for all three apps for easy import/export of rendered content (having this may help with the next 2 ? )
    3. Share more easily things between Groovebox, Blocs Wave and Launchpad
    4. Allow backups
    5. Multi-outputs
    6. Sync projects between devices
    7. Keychange per section
    8. Novation hardware support in all apps for all products
    9. MIDI learn (for more hardware)
    10. AUv3
    11. Better background support ?? Not sure what this one means

• @AndyPlankton to me in "General" Allow backups for apps are the first priority , then comes keychange per section, then midi learn, then I don't know. :)

In LP I don't understand the meaning of this feature:

• @crony said:
    @AndyPlankton to me in "General" Allow backups for apps are the first priority , then comes keychange per section, then midi learn, then I don't know. :)

Good start :)

I think that may mean get the iPhone version to have the same functionality as the iPad version

• @AndyPlankton said:

@crony said:
    @AndyPlankton to me in "General" Allow backups for apps are the first priority , then comes keychange per section, then midi learn, then I don't know. :)

Good start :)

I think that may mean get the iPhone version to have the same functionality as the iPad version

Right. I want to use LP mobile with Novation Hardware.

• @robosardine said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Just seen on twitter....10,000,000 app downloads ! They are obviously doing something right ;)

Makes me feel so small.....
    In space no one can hear you complaining.........

I guess you're not married then.

• I guess the issue for me is this.

Novation and Ampify

Please tell us in clear terms the relationship.

Because the free app model with no midi cc actions does not fit a Novation near $700 keyboard with advanced features in my eyes.'

One is shooting lowest common denominator music maker the other a pretty serious artist.

Ironically all other companies are lowering price points and models while Novation did the opposite.

IF the apps and hardware have no connection they should sever the ties and Novation should do some pro model apps for serious artists and hardware users.

These are 2 different business models and they don't work well together.

It is causing discontent for Novation users but I don't think they are paying attention to it.

I wish they would.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    I guess the issue for me is this.

Novation and Ampify

Because the free app model with no midi cc actions does not fit a Novation near $700 keyboard with advanced features in my eyes.'

One is shooting lowest common denominator music maker the other a pretty serious artist.

Ironically all other companies are lowering price points and models while Novation did the opposite.

IF the apps and hardware have no connection they should sever the ties and Novation should do some pro model apps for serious artists and hardware users.

It is causing discontent for Novation users but I don't think they are paying attention to it.

I wish they would.

I agree. As a serial Novation buyer (bassstation rack, KS5, Circuit) I feel this is blurring the brand quite a lot for the future.

• @purpan2 said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    I guess the issue for me is this.

Novation and Ampify

I wish they would.

I agree. As a serial Novation buyer (bassstation rack, KS5, Circuit) I feel this is blurring the brand quite a lot for the future.

Case and point.

No ios apps for my Circuit or Monostation.

No coherent business model or plan as a line.

Not a smart place to be for too long.

Or NI and AKAI Beat you to it.....

• edited November 2018

Sure the double marketing strategy is really odd. There should be also a professional app in this case.

• hm ive never found joy in novation apps. blocs and launchpad just launch clips esssentislly making the music for you. groovebox was ok
    but it feels incomplete and lacking basic features.

• @sysexual said:
    hm ive never found joy in novation apps. blocs and launchpad just launch clips esssentislly making the music for you. groovebox was ok
    but it feels incomplete and lacking basic features.

Ever jammed with other musicians? It's great for those of us who don't get out of the house as much as we used to. :)

BW can also be used to manipulate samples, which is bread and butter for some composers.

I must be one of the 10 million typical users of these apps. I don't own any Novation hardware and don't care to know how they relate. Companies make products for differing markets, and a general indication of that is price.

• Just had a 3 hour beautiful jam with GB and it’s absolutely beautiful tone!
    One thing I really wish though is that when I have a midi keyboard connected, I select say an instrument channel And use that one to trigger its sounds while the whole song plays back!
    It’s a bummer that I have to actually go into the Instrument to be able to play it; thereby removing the ability to switch between sections :( please please allow for this! It’s a huge live playing hinderance.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Just had a 3 hour beautiful jam with GB and it’s absolutely beautiful tone!
    One thing I really wish though is that when I have a midi keyboard connected, I select say an instrument channel And use that one to trigger its sounds while the whole song plays back!
    It’s a bummer that I have to actually go into the Instrument to be able to play it; thereby removing the ability to switch between sections :( please please allow for this! It’s a huge live playing hinderance.

Yup. This.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:

I’m sure I can do this on my keyboard, but maybe it only works with Novation keyboards? I’ll have a play and see whether the changes are midi triggered - might be possible to rig something up with Midiflow...

• edited November 2018

@AmpifyxNovation I forgot, for Launchpad:

Allow copy/duplicate your projects !

• This is big for me also.

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    Please, for the love of God, allow general midi mapping in LaunchPad app!!! I caved, bought the Launch control XL, and it's cool and all, but there's an entire ROW of pots that are worthless as they just duplicate the sliders/faders. If you won't open up LaunchPad to general midi mapping, then at least stop duplicating those pots!

• Just checked the Blocs Wav app again and found sooo good soundpack in there. Since it seemed its abondonware i stopped buying any packs from them. Anyway, Black Friday coming up and maybe they have a sale again. Do you guys still buy their iAPs?!

• @Crawlingwind said:
    This is big for me also.

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    Please, for the love of God, allow general midi mapping in LaunchPad app!!! I caved, bought the Launch control XL, and it's cool and all, but there's an entire ROW of pots that are worthless as they just duplicate the sliders/faders. If you won't open up LaunchPad to general midi mapping, then at least stop duplicating those pots!

Considering Novation seems amazing when it comes to supporting their products, and Ampifi seems pretty horrible, I wonder if the Ampifi folks were essentially the type of employees that were "given the opportunity to pursue their fortunes elsewhere?"

Novation should really consider splitting off that anchor so as not to damage their otherwise good brand image.

Orrrrrr.. Ampifi could take some of the revenue they get from those 10 million users and actually support them?

• edited November 2018

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@Crawlingwind said:
    This is big for me also.

@MonkeyDrummer said:

Considering Novation seems amazing when it comes to supporting their products, and Ampifi seems pretty horrible, I wonder if the Ampifi folks were essentially the type of employees that were "given the opportunity to pursue their fortunes elsewhere?"

Novation should really consider splitting off that anchor so as not to damage their otherwise good brand image.

Orrrrrr.. Ampifi could take some of the revenue they get from those 10 million users and actually support them?

:lol:

edit for avoid mistakes: I'm laughing to how the truth from my POV is well described in this comment. Glad to see it wrote from another damnified...

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Just had a 3 hour beautiful jam with GB and it’s absolutely beautiful tone!

Where you been?

I was actually thinking about not seeing you lately.

• @Dubbylabby said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@Crawlingwind said:
    This is big for me also.

@MonkeyDrummer said:

edit for avoid mistakes: I'm laughing to how the truth from my POV is well described in this comment. Glad to see it wrote from another damnified...

It there a way to not have a demo sound play when selection of sound occurs?

Very problematic live because you always have that riff play.

• GB groove Box. Not GarageBand right ;)

• @david_2017 said:
    GB groove Box. Not GarageBand right ;)

Gig Bag

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@Crawlingwind said:
    This is big for me also.

@MonkeyDrummer said:

Wow....zing

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@Crawlingwind said:
    This is big for me also.

@MonkeyDrummer said:

It there a way to not have a demo sound play when selection of sound occurs?

Very problematic live because you always have that riff play.

IDHAIAYAT´B...

I Dont Have Any Idea About You Are Talking 'Bout... but I love to believe that sound is something related to my usual :trollface: just one of the few times I didn't use it...

• Here’s my suggestions (warning - May contain unicorns)
    1. Allow to Select and Delete multiple projects at once (LaunchPad app)
    2. Option to download pack without creating a Project. (LaunchPad app)
    3. Keyboard Shortcuts - Open Project Browser, Navigate Browser with arrow keys
    4. Keyboard Shortcuts - Open Sample Bowser, Navigate Sample Browser with Arrow Keys
    5. Keyboard Shortcuts - Toggle FX & Mixer Panels.
    6. Keyboard Shortcuts - Toggle Transport Controls Record/Start Stop, Link/Sync On-Off, BPM, Key.
    7. Keyboard Shortcuts - Navigate Grid with Arrow Keys
    8. Record Audio Option on each mixer & Mute (LaunchPad App)
    9. Long press on app icon - allows to select from recent projects to open.
    10. Record Audio in to a selected Pad. (Support MultiRoute)
    11. Might be mistaken here - but sync feature shared between LaunchPad app & LaunchKey app would be nice between the other apps.
    12. I’d like to see equivalent of follow actions on LaunchPad & Blocs Apps - would be great to have some automation options, maybe link to volumes and even fx groups in LaunchPad App. Similar idea is more song mode to build out longer patterns with more variation, and easier on-the-fly swapping out of individual samples, or having multiple presets within a Project that could be loaded up instantly, or end of current pattern like Circuit etc.
    13. Love to see an AU breakout of the LaunchPad app FX, coupled with the Blocs Slicer & Loop Recorder type functions. I think that would be a neat Multi-Fx.
    14. On My iPad & Cloud storage for all apps.
    15. A LaunchControl Editor with shared file/storage/compatibility with desktop version. (Same with other hardware synths).
    16. Access to programmer, User & Other modes for LaunchPad hardware/app. Allow easy RGB/MIDI Functionality input via app. Allow after touch adjustment via LaunchPad app. Drum Mode on LaunchPad app to build and save Drum Mode Projects. Toggle between LaunchPad app & Live Mode / other modes.
    17. Would be terrific to have Blocs/LaunchPad sample export options of Direct Open-in to, for example, a Circuit/Monostation Sample Slot in a given Session or to the general browser pool of the desktop app. And in general would be nice to have full editor options from iOS to desktop, which would then sync with the web Components site, including packs/projects/samples/categories & labels - and of course with shared file system between Cloud/desktop/web editors.
    18, Enable Continuity for Copy/Pasting Samples & other files between macOS & iOS. Drag and Drop sample exchange between apps as well. Would be nice to have split screen / slide over optimized for sample browsers to quickly drag and drop between apps. Batch editing, selection, and tagging of samples would be welcome.
    19. Shortcuts integration - would be very nice to have an ID3 or some sort of detailed property list of app Samples to be “donated” to the Shortcuts app - this would allow for advanced filtering of samples - by BPM/Length/Key/Dates/Genre/User generated Tags & any other metadata - this could potentially make for quick creation of Projects, Sample Libraries, Batch editing, encoding, cropping, and the like.
    20. Support for external monitors on new devices.
    21. More Presets & Ability to make them in LaunchKey app.
    22. MIDI Capability Inquiry by Projects for LaunchPad app - This way you could have project templates with different Fx/other options, especially helpful if you’re building out songs/sets. Program change messages between project presets, and Responding to Song Position Pointer messages by Pad/Mixer Channel would also be nice. Oh, and Start/Continue transport option, with Stop/Return to 1st position options.
    23. WIsh there was a “Bloc” labeled External that was a direct audio input from external or AB3 etc input, allowing for playing the audio in time or independently of the blocs playhead, and allowing recording/processing through the slicer etc/saving to sample library.
    24. Bring the now-iconic? BassStation and V-Station VST’s to iOS!

• Hi Chaps,

I'm back. Firstly a big thanks to Andy Plankton and Audi_iOS for the huge efforts to order the request that you guys have raised. This helps us so much.

I noticed a question on the relationship of Ampify to Novation. I can answer this a long way...

I joined Focusrite in 2006'ish. It had purchased Novation a few years earlier, and the company had pretty much gone bankrupt. At this time, Focusrite new that the world of music making was changing in big ways. However, it didn't know at the time how much synths would 'matter' in the future with the rise of electronic music. I become Head of Novations products in 2009'ish. Now, just about every Novation hardware product you see, I mostly lead, including the kinda big deal release of the Novation Launchpad. Yes, that was me performing the first videos back in 2009.

It's hard to understate the impact Launchpad had on getting Novation back on its feet, and this in turn helped to fund getting synthesizers back onto the Novation roadmap. In fact, I started Peak and Circuit around 5-7 years ago. It takes a while to make innovative and awesome products. During this time I took the role as Head of Focusrite & Novation helping to introduce the current Focusrite Products you see today Scarlett / Clarett / Red etc and Also REDnet. However, given my musical background (see 'Introducinglive' / DJ Shadow / Daft Punk) and my fondness of the success of the Launchpad, we new we wanted to make music making software as a business. So 6 years ago, we started to build (slowly), a software team and out popped Launchpad for iOS.

It become a huge success. However, one thing became immediately apparent. The majority of the users of these apps we're NOT the same customers as the Focusrite or Novation ones. Their needs and attitudes were quite different. As such, we needed for our apps to succeed, given a large paradigm shift in technology, and a different user we needed to separate the project off from the Novation and Focusrite brands and start to focus on the unique needs of these new customers.

As you can see, there is a tension between our huge global new music makers and the more 'traditional' needs of the 'classic' music producer and creator. Ampify (the first attempt 'Blocs' met with a challenge) was the name and set of values we have chosen to tackle Music Creation Software for this 'newer' to music creation user. Our goals are to ensure that everything feels smoother and easier to user/make for this new customer, whilst at the same time adding features that are more advanced for the Innovators (You guys! and ourselves as we are like you!).

I find it interesting, even from my own perspective that I soo WANT the iPad to replace my Macbook. However, it's still just not there yet. Our goals, are to make the right strategic choices (some of which are hard to make, and cost you guys features), but will pay off big time in the future, as we build things ready for that future.

Ampify, is our software bet. We're getting there, but we don't have 300 people like Ableton, or 600 like NI ... yet. Also, we a super small team in a different place to the Focusrite and Novation Brands, and we have a lot more users than both of them put together. We know we need to connect with out users better, and somehow figure out how to deal with the huge volumes of customer communications and requests. We do need to get better at this, clearly.

// Matt

• edited November 2018

@AmpifyxNovation said:
    Hi Chaps,

I'm back. Firstly a big thanks to Andy Plankton and Audi_iOS for the huge efforts to order the request that you guys have raised. This helps us so much.

I noticed a question on the relationship of Ampify to Novation. I can answer this a long way...

I joined Focusrite in 2006'ish. It had purchased Novation a few years earlier, and the company had pretty much gone bankrupt. At this time, Focusrite new that the world of music making was changing in big ways. However, it didn't know at the time how much synths would 'matter' in the future with the rise of electronic music. I become Head of Novations products in 2009'ish. Now, just about every Novation hardware product you see, I mostly lead, including the kinda big deal release of the Novation Launchpad. Yes, that was me performing the first videos back in 2009.

It's hard to understate the impact Launchpad had on getting Novation back on its feet, and this in turn helped to fund getting synthesizers back onto the Novation roadmap. In fact, I started Peak and Circuit around 5-7 years ago. It takes a while to make innovative and awesome products. During this time I took the role as Head of Focusrite & Novation helping to introduce the current Focusrite Products you see today Scarlett / Clarett / Red etc and Also REDnet. However, given my musical background (see 'Introducinglive' / DJ Shadow / Daft Punk) and my fondness of the success of the Launchpad, we new we wanted to make music making software as a business. So 6 years ago, we started to build (slowly), a software team and out popped Launchpad for iOS.

It become a huge success. However, one thing became immediately apparent. The majority of the users of these apps we're NOT the same customers as the Focusrite or Novation ones. Their needs and attitudes were quite different. As such, we needed for our apps to succeed, given a large paradigm shift in technology, and a different user we needed to separate the project off from the Novation and Focusrite brands and start to focus on the unique needs of these new customers.

As you can see, there is a tension between our huge global new music makers and the more 'traditional' needs of the 'classic' music producer and creator. Ampify (the first attempt 'Blocs' met with a challenge) was the name and set of values we have chosen to tackle Music Creation Software for this 'newer' to music creation user. Our goals are to ensure that everything feels smoother and easier to user/make for this new customer, whilst at the same time adding features that are more advanced for the Innovators (You guys! and ourselves as we are like you!).

I find it interesting, even from my own perspective that I soo WANT the iPad to replace my Macbook. However, it's still just not there yet. Our goals, are to make the right strategic choices (some of which are hard to make, and cost you guys features), but will pay off big time in the future, as we build things ready for that future.

Ampify, is our software bet. We're getting there, but we don't have 300 people like Ableton, or 600 like NI ... yet. Also, we a super small team in a different place to the Focusrite and Novation Brands, and we have a lot more users than both of them put together. We know we need to connect with out users better, and somehow figure out how to deal with the huge volumes of customer communications and requests. We do need to get better at this, clearly.

// Matt

Today, Info like this is probably as important as a big fix or update. Our society is hyper connected now. Everyone expects to know everything now. When people loyally support or invest in anything, anyone or any product they expect updates. When no features or updates, an update (info).

Same time, you must prioritize and do what you gotta do. Best wishes and continued support. Also, Thanks for sharing. I dig your stuff and am looking forward to hearing or seeing what’s next.

• edited November 2018

@AmpifyxNovation said:
    Hi Chaps,

// Matt

That's it? You mean you're not going to restore Novation's good name by following the direction of us big time classic music producers and creators needing Ampify apps for our much more important work? :)

I think many of us here can tell what market Ampify is focusing on, and we're happy playing with the apps as much as the new kind of customer. Anything that can be added or improved is appreciated, and may you have continued success with your venture.