Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Kleverb by Klevgränd

Comments

• edited November 2018

@ExAsperis99 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    (Sorry if I repeated some points. I skimmed the thread and need to quickly get out my thoughts...)

"We must always be supportive of our devs. I'm sure we can pay higher prices for our professional kit, right everybody? :smiley: "

"They want $10 USD for the sale price and $20 for full?!? :confounded: Wah wah, it's too expensive! We were supposed to only pay $0.99 like we used to before IAA! Oh, muh first world problems! I might have to skip Starbucks for a week! :disappointed: Life is so unfair!"

This is the crux of the argument, and it took me a while to understand. The personal attack on people who who want things for a bargain, and the weird shaming of somebody who spends money how he likes — the dreaded Starbucks!
    I get it.

The idea is that if everybody pays as much as possible — apparently there are even the virtuous who skip sales so they can pay full price! — then the developers make more money, which draws more developers to iOS, which means more and higher-quality things to buy.

So in this argument, if you're a bargain hunter, you're not pulling your weight. You're the reason we can't have nice things on the iPad.

It's kind of a weird situation. I'm not sure what the solution is.

But it's kind of bratty to have opinions on how other people should spend their money.

Maybe I'm misreading it, but my opinion is we have a free choice to spend our money as we please. The "shaming" was in the HYPOCRISY, not in how people choose to spend their money.

Now I've read through your post and if I understood it correctly, you're going on your social justice high horse, accusing me of personally attacking people and saying that I'm being bratty for "having the wrong opinions". Judging by how much you quoted me, you obviously didn't give enough of a fuck to read through my entire post and form a proper response.

Now if I've misread your response, then I duly apologise post haste. Maybe you can clarify what you meant if I misread it. However, if I'm spot on in my interpretation, kindly shove the social justicism and forum politics up where the sun doesn't shine.

• @kinkujin said:
    Here is question that has often perplexed me - why do reverbs cost so much? I'm not singling this one out at all. But, it seems that good reverbs tend to cost more than other effects.

Reverb algorithms can be very (!) complex - it takes a lot of experience to get things right.
    The dude from Relab Developement needed about 10 years to finish his virtual Lexicon L480.
    Also required: good hearing abilities and gear for comparison.

A check of EOS2 on IOS versus a demo of Valhalla Plate on PC/Mac (both are by the same developer, EOS an early work licenced to AD) will reveal how much out favourite tablet misses. But it's quite reasonable.
    If you're curious about the very details you may follow some talk of those reverb junkies on gearslutz.

• Price is relative but i also see it in terms of competition etc.
    I mean i´m all for higher prices going well for iOS developers because that might motivate to get my favorite reverbs one day on iOS as well (which cost me less than the full price Kleverb will be on mac and is not quite as good or versatile so i find it expensive there....for the intro price it´s O.K. but not an outstanding good sounding reverb).
    But i must say it´s is def. one of the better reverbs for iOS so there it is a very welcome tool.
    It´s really great for small and medium sized reverbs. For really huge and lush and the creative ambient thingies it is not usable. But that would be my use case only.
    So i still recommend this as reverb junkie to iOS users. Grab it now!

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    (Sorry if I repeated some points. I skimmed the thread and need to quickly get out my thoughts...)

"We must always be supportive of our devs. I'm sure we can pay higher prices for our professional kit, right everybody? :smiley: "

"They want $10 USD for the sale price and $20 for full?!? :confounded: Wah wah, it's too expensive! We were supposed to only pay $0.99 like we used to before IAA! Oh, muh first world problems! I might have to skip Starbucks for a week! :disappointed: Life is so unfair!"

This is the crux of the argument, and it took me a while to understand. The personal attack on people who who want things for a bargain, and the weird shaming of somebody who spends money how he likes — the dreaded Starbucks!
    I get it.

The idea is that if everybody pays as much as possible — apparently there are even the virtuous who skip sales so they can pay full price! — then the developers make more money, which draws more developers to iOS, which means more and higher-quality things to buy.

So in this argument, if you're a bargain hunter, you're not pulling your weight. You're the reason we can't have nice things on the iPad.

But it's kind of bratty to have opinions on how other people should spend their money.

Maybe I'm misreading it, but my opinion is we have a free choice to spend our money as we please. The "shaming" was in the HYPOCRISY, not in how people choose to spend their money.

Now I've read through your post and if I understood it correctly, you're going on your social justice high horse, accusing me of personally attacking people and saying that I'm being bratty for "having the wrong opinions". Judging by how much you quoted me, you obviously didn't give enough of a fuck to read through my entire post and form a proper response.

Now if I've misread your response, then I duly apologise post haste. Maybe you can clarify what you meant if I misread it. However, if I'm spot on in my interpretation, kindly shove the social justicism and forum politics up where the sun doesn't shine.

Yeah, I think you misread it. But I accept your apology.

• edited November 2018

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Are you looking at a group and seeing 'HYPOCRISY' or specific individuals? As near as I can parse reality it is unwise to accuse large unorganized groups of 'HYPOCRISY' particularly when we are not talking about political parties compelled to follow party lines. The forum is a healthy scattered rabble of diverse opinion.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

I get it.

Yeah, I think you misread it. But I accept your apology.

Then I apologize again. Cheers. :)

• @AudioGus said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Are you looking at a group and seeing 'HYPOCRISY' or specific individuals?

Neither really. Just pointing out hypocrisy as a whole, using "people" as a character rather than generalising an actual group of people. Hope this makes some sense. :lol:

• does this reverb glitch if you move the decay knob? If not I'm sold

• Also, just a thought - I bought it now at the introductory sale price. But, beyond helping the developer by purchasing, I'm also possibly helping to sell a few units by letting others know how pleased I am with my purchase - which I am.

• @midiSequencer said:
    does this reverb glitch if you move the decay knob? If not I'm sold

At least on the mac demo it works well. Even modulate it with a midi LFO, no glitch.

• edited November 2018

To add something....you actually can modulate anything without glitches (only slightly clicks if i modulate the size which i anyway don´t do).
    So i have high quality reverbs which sounds much better but for the price that you can´t modulate parameters because they have to calculate too much.
    So if you are in search of a decent reverb with live tweaking of parameters this is a good one indeed.

• @ALB said:

@kinkujin said:
    Here is question that has often perplexed me - why do reverbs cost so much? I'm not singling this one out at all. But, it seems that good reverbs tend to cost more than other effects. They often cost more than fully featured synths here on ios (eg. D-1). Why is this? Do they require more work? Do effects take as much work and research as putting together a synth? This is not to say that they cost alot, i'm speaking relatively here and this is not a bitching about price post.

I’ll hazard that there is a fair amount of coding that goes into trying to make a believable space and all the algorithms that go into that, as well as being able to make that adjustable and so on. Users are picky about this effect, perhaps more so than a synth filter. Just a guess - I also wonder the same thing.

It’s an interesting question. I agree with ALB: users are particularly picky about reverbs. Reverbs are also everywhere. We all need reverbs and we need them to do a whole bunch of different tasks. Other thing, they not only need to be efficient, they need to be easy to tweak while getting good results.

AFAIK, what makes great ones so prized is that we are dealing with a) a scarce skillset (not that many people with both the ears and programming skills for the job) and b) (at least for algorithm based approaches) tons of time even for the rare people with the skillset (for the hard work of coming up with simple controls that give a wide range of great, useable results, and weeding out the countless unappealing results any given algorithm would produce if poorly tuned.)

• @Dawdles said:
    Yeah probably my favourite iOS dev for ‘go to’, good sounding, workhorse fx. Dawcasette, degrader, gotoEQ, this reverb...I don’t feel like I need to send iOS stuff to desktop/hardware like I used to...they covered a lot of ground recently and brought stuff to the table that I was missing hard in iOS before. The only one I didn’t fully gel with or use much so far was the vinyl one, will revisit at some point and see if I missed the point. The rest have been really, really good though.

Klev. for my clean good
    A Damage for my dirty good
    Numerial Audio for my boutique good

GOODIES AT ALL TIMES!

I personally would like universal for all Fx apps since I use phone for vocals many times.

I also want more instrument apps from KLEV!

• ALBALB
    edited November 2018

It made me think of one more thing: Users don't necessarily want something that sounds realistic, they want something that is pleasing, ideally in all use cases. That's a tall order...

• edited November 2018

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@AudioGus said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Are you looking at a group and seeing 'HYPOCRISY' or specific individuals?

Neither really. Just pointing out hypocrisy as a whole, using "people" as a character rather than generalising an actual group of people. Hope this makes some sense. :lol:

@Samu said:
    This is one of the best demos of Kleverb so far...

Cool, thanks for the vid. Well I am thinking of getting the iOS version for sure. It sounds pretty good and the sparse number of easy to understand parameters seems nice and chill for reducing cognitive overload. Having it on PC and being able to dial in the same parameters quickly seems like a workflow win when mixing on desktop. Would rather be prolific than perfect.

Edit: just snuck in the PC demo in Reaper at work... yes, very very nice.

• Ok, so I caved as anticipated. I have an apeMatrix instance going with all the various AU reverbs I have running so I can hear them all next to each other. I did this last night and noticed a considerable difference in the tone of each reverb, enough to convince me that I may have room for yet one more.

So far Kleverb has it's own unique flavour, so I feel like this will be useful to me. I'm considering doing a reverb comparison video now....

• @Daveypoo said:
    Ok, so I caved as anticipated. I have an apeMatrix instance going with all the various AU reverbs I have running so I can hear them all next to each other. I did this last night and noticed a considerable difference in the tone of each reverb, enough to convince me that I may have room for yet one more.

So far Kleverb has it's own unique flavour, so I feel like this will be useful to me. I'm considering doing a reverb comparison video now....

That would potentially get me off the fence! Can you do it before it goes off sale. ;)

• @Philh0954 said:

@Daveypoo said:
    Ok, so I caved as anticipated. I have an apeMatrix instance going with all the various AU reverbs I have running so I can hear them all next to each other. I did this last night and noticed a considerable difference in the tone of each reverb, enough to convince me that I may have room for yet one more.

That would potentially get me off the fence! Can you do it before it goes off sale. ;)

;) this :)

• I'll try but honestly it's unlikely I'll get it done before the sale ends...

• Does anyone know when the sale will end? I’ll be experiencing cash flow problems until next Friday. 😔

• Mr Haq sold it to me in his latest missive.

Initially I was not needing another reverb but this is clearly the result of some very hard work.

• @Beathoven said:
    Does anyone know when the sale will end? I’ll be experiencing cash flow problems until next Friday. 😔

November 15 according to a website.

• While this beyond ignorant conversation still exists for some reason I am enjoying a sweet new reverb.
    So ashamed.
    So guilty.
    So depraved.
    I need help.
    I'm drowning in debt with this reverb app purchase.
    How will I pay my sons tuition now for rabbit school?
    Help me god, please.
    My marriage will fail.
    My Hummer will be repossessed.
    What I wouldn't do to get that $15 back..

• This thing sounds really great.

• edited November 2018

Here is PlugInGuru using it (and i think he likes it). Starts at about minute 20:

• Well i’m still on the fence, ridiculous really as i was crazy in heat for an au reverb a few weeks ago. Eos filled that hole for me but although i am swayed by this, there is just a never ending short list. Just spent 40 bucks on midi cables and pedalboard attachments. So not spending 10 is more about “do i need it?” (I don’t) vs “do i want it?” (I do), and what other damage have i done these last two weeks.

I do appreciate a nice reverb, spent about an hour playing my op-1 through tons of strymon big sky presets, just lost myself. That thing is beyond beautiful. But i do enjoy most reverbs. I also Have a boss rv5 with a beautiful modulated setting and pretty nice hall. Even the op-1’s shitty reverb is good for
    Some things.
    The only reverb that bothers me (apart from the rv5’s spring setting) is ddmf. That one is too bright and tinny. I don’t know, i’m sure i could make it work but it kinda throws me off when i fire it up and i don’t try. Also i usually am not working with trying to create real spaces, i’m about weird soundscapes, washes, etc so am not sitting critically listening to the super long tails, unless i’m on the big sky of course.

• Re: universal app issue.

I reached out to the folks at Klevgr to ask if there was any plan for a universal version of the app. Out of curiosity, I also mentioned that I’d be glad to hear their take on the AU market on iPhones and their approach to figuring out when to make releases iPad only vs universal.

They promptly responded with a detailed answer. To me their position is really sensible. I also find it really helpful in trying to understand the current situation of the audio plugin market for larger screens vs small screen. Here’s a summary in my own words:

• So far they don’t know whether there will be a universal version.
    • The issue is that the way they design the kind of incredible UI that we all love from them requires separating the tasks of creating the large desktop/iPad UIs and the much smaller iPhone UIs. So a universal app that doesn’t compromise on UI quality would require designing the iPhone UI from the ground up.
    • Based on their experience so far, designing an iPhone UI for an app like the reverb would likely cost them more than they expect to make from the sales..

[To me, their UIs have the kind of unique and coherent look that I associate with the best graphic design: where the location and proportions of every single line and character takes into account the dimensions of the end product. It’s a lot more simple to port things when you rely on more generic proportions and layouts. But I, for one, am glad Klevgr. arent making that kind of compromise.]

• edited November 2018

Thanks, ohwell.

If you start off developing and designing your product for Universal then "the money is baked in". Universal isn't a snap of the fingers - it's more work than one or the other. But it's generally easier than 2 separate products in the long-term. It's a CHOICE up front to not design and develop Universal, not a limitation or restriction. It wouldn't surprise me if they also re-used components/objects/code from other non-Universal apps of theirs (common practice to ship faster), which also means you inherit limitations.

There's plenty of well-designed Universal music apps in the app store right now and I own quite a few of them. I can respect that choice they made, but that doesn't mean I agree as a customer, or feel the need to buy something from a company making that choice. :shrug: (apparently as an iPhone user, my choice doesn't much matter to them anyway!)

• that's a helpful point @vitocorleone123. I misspoke if I made it sound like it’s not a design choice on their part. Not only do I agree with you, from their message, I think Klevgr agree as well. I was just trying to convey my understanding of their choice.

Let me give it another shot, it seems to me like they

• (1) have very high standards when it comes to UI graphic design at different sizes
    • (2) go to great lengths avoiding generic layouts, and custom tailoring UIs for each new product (which rules out lots of the time saving tricks in adapting UIs to different scales without compromise on (1)),
    • (3) as of yet, haven’t found a way to meet their standards for (1) and (2) for all of their new products without sometimes needing separate, from the ground up designs for desktop/iPad vs iPhone scale.
    • (4) as of yet, have found holding off on the iPhone scale for some of their new products to be the more viable business decision.

(Each of these points is a choice.)

My 2 cents is that the unique UI aesthetic of their products is unlike anything else. Which puts me in the weird position of believing that on the whole, devs should prioritize universal designs from the outset; but that, in their exceptional case, I’m glad to see them keep pushing UI design doors, even if that means making choices that require holding off on universal.

Fingers crossed, the iPhone AUv3 market will eventually become lucrative enough for them to create more universal plugins. Who knows, they might also come up with new solutions to meet their UI design goals for both larger and smaller screens from the get go.

• @Samu said:
    This is one of the best demos of Kleverb so far...

Nice video, I'll have to check out his others.