Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Chordflow Update Scale Mode, Key wheel, Chord lock!

Excellent app by an excellent developer that doesn’t get enough love.

ChordFlow by Dmitry Klochkov https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chordflow/id1219789464?mt=8

Comments

• Yeah, this one just keeps getting better!

• edited October 2018

This was the one part of the app that didn't flow, but now it's one of its best features. So good now, and I'll be using it a lot more. Might even finally get my head around music theory a bit.

• Have it 5 stars of attention. ‘cause updates. ⭐️

• Awesome awesome update!
    Anxious to get home and play with this

• This app is so much better than I remember. Guilty I’ve left it neglected so long. Wow. So underrated.

• This was clearly the missing feature. Now this app is “almost” complete

• Excellent update!

• edited October 2018

Now if it only had an easy way to do odd time signatures. Tricky to shoehorn in there, I'm sure.

EDIT: Check that. I'd forgotten about the little steps/beats/rate dialog you get by pressing the top left of the grid.

@Artefact2001 Can't help, but if you reach Dmiti on Twitter, he was very quick to help me, and would probably like your feedback.

• I’m confused about the chord selector wheel...
    if I’m in C major why is the 2 chord represented as D major ‘II’, rather than represented as ‘ii’ and being D minor? There is no D major in C major, right? Doesn’t this defeat the object of keeping the chords ‘in scale’?

• @Artefact2001 said:
    I’m confused about the chord selector wheel...
    if I’m in C major why is the 2 chord represented as D major ‘II’, rather than represented as ‘ii’ and being D minor? There is no D major in C major, right? Doesn’t this defeat the object of keeping the chords ‘in scale’?

I’m not sure this app makes the distinction between upper and lower case Roman numerals which is fairly typical. I see this type of thing in some music theory books.

I haven’t had a chance to use the update yet but I think the color has something to with chords being in or out of key.

• edited October 2018

@yowza said:

@Artefact2001 said:
    I’m confused about the chord selector wheel...

I’m not sure this app makes the distinction between upper and lower case Roman numerals which is fairly typical. I see this type of thing in some music theory books.

I haven’t had a chance to use the update yet but I think the color has something to with chords being in or out of key.

In relation to the chord colours, I’m sure Dmitry won’t mind me sharing an earlier email reply...

Hi!

No manual yet. The colors of the chord types mean the following:

Green - all notes of the chord match the scale.
    Yellow - one note of the chord is out of the scale.
    Red - two or more notes out of the scale.

The notes of the selected chord are also shown as little dots inside the key wheel. You can see there which notes exactly match the scale or not.

Best wishes,
    Dmitry

• @SpookyZoo It’s hard to understand why this hasn’t been implemented in a conventional circle of fifths way. Surely the most user friendly route would have been auto-select the chords that are actually in the scale, with the option of changing. :/

• edited November 2018

Hi there!

About the wheel

At first I thought to make the key wheel structured in fifths but then decided to go chromatic.
    I preferred chromatic because, this way, I think, it is more clear in terms of seeing the structure of the scale and the structure of the chords. With a chromatic wheel you can see the actual intervals between the scale steps and between chord notes. Also, as the wheel could be used for transposing the entire chord sequence (by rotating the wheel), it is imho more convenient when you can gradually lower or raise the chords instead of jumping by fourths and fifths.

And if the wheel was implemented as a circle of fifths all the steps would be squeezed together(visually).
    This way you could not see intervals of the scale nor intervals of the chord nor how the out of scale notes relates to the scale notes.

There are some advantages in circle of fifths certainly. It is useful for finding closely related scales(scales wich share all pitches except one). And for counting how many accidentals are in a scale key signature.

I decided that chromatic wheel is more suitable for the task.

It is though, I think, possible to add some option for switching between chromatic and fifths view if you see any use of it.

What do you think?

About chord types

For now the selected chord type is not changed when you change the key(root) of the chord. Say in the C major scale you selected a C major chord. And then you tap on A key of the wheel. The resulting chord will be A major not A minor( which is more appropriate for the C major scale in terms of matching notes).

It is not hard to implement it the way that the most closest to scale chord type is selected when the chord root is changed, but for me it seems it will introduce some confusion. I prefer the way when you can see which chord type is best fitted for the scale in terms of matching notes but it is up to you to choose which one you need.

So it is again a question of preferences. I could also add some option in the setting to choose the appropriate behaviour.

• I would prefer it to default to the ‘right’ chord but with the option to chose a different one if wanted.

• @Dmitry_Klochkov I love this app, it is really cool and I personally like the weel as it is.

One thing that will bring even more power to this app would be a “jam intensity” function that will put some randomizations in the played notes. This intensity should be customizable (0% to 100%).

• @Dmitry_Klochkov said:

So it is again a question of preferences. I could also add some option in the setting to choose the appropriate behaviour.

I believe options to be the key to a well and balanced life so I vote a toggle in settings. Thanks for chiming in and keep up the great work on this App!

• @Dmitry_Klochkov thanks for the info! Would be great if there was an option to keep the chords in scale. The wheel could be the same layout but the chord type would auto-select based on the scale. This way you could play the progression on the wheel, with all the correct chords. :)

• @Artefact2001 said:
    @Dmitry_Klochkov thanks for the info! Would be great if there was an option to keep the chords in scale. The wheel could be the same layout but the chord type would auto-select based on the scale. This way you could play the progression on the wheel, with all the correct chords. :)

Yes, this seems quite useful. Added this to the TODO.

• @cuscolima said:
    @Dmitry_Klochkov I love this app, it is really cool and I personally like the weel as it is.

One thing that will bring even more power to this app would be a “jam intensity” function that will put some randomizations in the played notes. This intensity should be customizable (0% to 100%).

The two biggest blockers for me using this app all the time are the lack of swing and velocity variation. Even if the latter was a global setting along the lines of your random idea, it would help with the "mechanical MIDI" feel of the current app. I currently only use this for early sketches but could use it much deeper in the process with some controls to make things groove a bit. Not complaining! This app is great for what it does, but we can always dream, right?

• I brought my ipad pro to the brink with it and 6 synths today. love this app.

• @Dmitry_Klochkov said:

@Artefact2001 said:
    @Dmitry_Klochkov thanks for the info! Would be great if there was an option to keep the chords in scale. The wheel could be the same layout but the chord type would auto-select based on the scale. This way you could play the progression on the wheel, with all the correct chords. :)

Amazing, thank you 🙏

• edited November 2018

@lukesleepwalker said:

The two biggest blockers for me using this app all the time are the lack of swing and velocity variation. Even if the latter was a global setting along the lines of your random idea, it would help with the "mechanical MIDI" feel of the current app.

Interestingly, when I exported a Chord Flow midi file a few days ago into Xequence I was surprised to see that the velocity of notes was varied.

I'll be able to check again later, but pretty sure that was the case.

• edited November 2018

Yep. Just did a quick test and the velocities are varied...

But not drastically.

• Velocity automation and volume controls for individual tracks are the main features I am planing for the next development iteration. There are currently some hardcoded randomisation of velocities in the range from 100 to 110 just to make it a little less mechanical. But it will be much better when we are able to adjust it manually for a specific sequence.

Swing/Grove would also be very nice. I should think out what is the best way to integrate it in the app. Should it affect a whole song, a section or a track...

Would be nice to here your opinions.

• Great! Yes please I vote for this too. Great app loving it so much and Thanks for iPhone version!

@Dmitry_Klochkov said:

@Artefact2001 said:

• Also, Dmitry, how difficult would it be to add Ableton Link Start Stop version? Would love to get this going with Lumbeats awesome drum apps.

@Dmitry_Klochkov said:
    Velocity automation and volume controls for individual tracks are the main features I am planing for the next development iteration. There are currently some hardcoded randomisation of velocities in the range from 100 to 110 just to make it a little less mechanical. But it will be much better when we are able to adjust it manually for a specific sequence.

Swing/Grove would also be very nice. I should think out what is the best way to integrate it in the app. Should it affect a whole song, a section or a track...

• @Dmitry_Klochkov said:
    Velocity automation and volume controls for individual tracks are the main features I am planing for the next development iteration. There are currently some hardcoded randomisation of velocities in the range from 100 to 110 just to make it a little less mechanical. But it will be much better when we are able to adjust it manually for a specific sequence.

I'd be happy with swing/groove setting by song--would be very cool to have it by section, though, if you can make it work.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Also, Dmitry, how difficult would it be to add Ableton Link Start Stop version? Would love to get this going with Lumbeats awesome drum apps.

@Dmitry_Klochkov said:

I forgot about Ableton Start Stop feature. Should not be very difficult to add. Already added it in my metronome app . Will try to include it in the next update.

• @Dmitry_Klochkov that’s so awesome! Thanks for making this great app even better!

• My favorite thing about the new Chord wheel is how it shows you the previous and next chord notes around the current chord notes.
    I think you made the right choices on the chord wheel design @Dmitry_Klochkov. It totally works for me, being chromatic and using colors to grade chromaticism.
    The other chord wheel suggestions would be cool as an option, but I really like what you have decided on for the initial switchover to the Chord Wheel.

This app is so great. I am excited to learn about its further development.