Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apps that support state-saving

Comments

• You can see the badge if you tap "Compatible Apps" at the top left corner of the AB2 screen.

• @Brain said:

@Zymos said:

@Brain said:

Need to see a LOT more apps added to this list - NLog MIDI Synth, guitarism & Remaster are all I have from the list. Do we need to start e-mailing devs to get this ball rolling?

Maybe you just need to buy more of these apps!

Considering that most of of the apps are for iPad (there it is again), it's a moot point. Of the four I can use, guitarism was icksnayed in favor of iFretless Guitar - and it is not there yet.

I hear you, my iPhone gets jealous and lonely next to my iPad....

• I have updates for AUFX with state saving ready to submit, but for some reason it fails validation by Apple unless I drop iOS 5.1 support. I might have to do that, but hoping to get another solution.. currently waiting their email reply.

• edited April 2014

Final Touch added.

• @Sebastian said:

Final Touch added.

I can't get it to recall either a preset or any parameters. So save state seems like a no-go in Final Touch (or is there an update inbound?).

• The update should be live any time now.

• @Sebastian said:

The update should be live any time now.

Ah, awesome :)

• iSEM doesn't support state-saving yet. When I export an AB preset and open it with another iPad, it loads the default iSEM preset, not the one from the AB preset.

• edited April 2014

I hear you, my iPhone gets jealous and lonely next to my iPad....

At least you HAVE an iPad...

And further: what ARE the restrictions for devs to make universal apps of all their products? Again, I would not miss the opportunity to sell my product to another market, unless there are durned good reasons that I could not do so.

(Let me add, lest someone make a comment along such lines: When I needed a new phone, I chose the iPhone. It was not until after having it that I discovered the iOS music scene & Audiobus; and if I'd known about such I still wouldn't have had any decision to make - I needed a new phone. So please bear with me whilst I metaphorically shove my hands in my pockets and kick at the dirt from time to time)

• @Phil999 said:

iSEM doesn't support state-saving yet. When I export an AB preset and open it with another iPad, it loads the default iSEM preset, not the one from the AB preset.

I can't try it with 2 iPads. But the Audiobus preset definitely saves all the iSEM parameters and recalls them correctly on the same iPad (no need to even save the new preset inside iSEM, which is how a proper state save should work). Weird that it won't carry over to another iPad tho

• @Phil999 said:

iSEM doesn't support state-saving yet. When I export an AB preset and open it with another iPad, it loads the default iSEM preset, not the one from the AB preset.

Are you sure you're running the latest version of iSEM?

• edited April 2014

ah, I see now. The iSEM preset does indeed load correctly with the AB preset, on every iPad. Only the name of the iSEM preset can be wrong (if iSEM was closed with another iSEM preset, before loading the AB preset).

Sorry about the false report. I was just testing the preset-saving functionality and saw the wrong preset name in iSEM. Nave for example shows the exact preset name (the one that is stored in the AB preset).

In other words: iSEM can show the wrong preset name. Just a minor detail that probably will be fixed by Arturia some day.

• edited April 2014

iVCS3 with State Saving support is in review by Apple now :-)

• edited April 2014

Final Touch updated, and works great. AB recalls every parameter, wether it's been saved inside Final Touch or not.

I think the way iSEM, Final Touch etc works is what should define a "state save". Mixing in simple recalls of a preset like in DM-1 could get messy and confusing (not knowing what apps will actually do a real proper state save (iSEM) and what apps will not (DM-1) etc. Two different distinctions and naming conventions here perhaps? I dunno, maybe it's just me overthinking it...it's not even been out for a whole day yet :)

• Definitely not overthinking. We're launching this in such a way to get a feel for what users like and what works and what doesn't.

• edited April 2014

Cool. Spontaneously I do feel that for an app to use the state save badge it would need to do exactly that, save its state. And apps doing simple preset recalls would be called and marked as something else.

The first would move AB alot closer to working in your typical software based desktop daw. Where you save the project, all the synths and effects have their state saved along with it. Next time you open that project, everything loads up exactly like you left it. Imagine Gadget or Caustic, but on much more open basis within Audiobus (well kinda, but you get the idea:)

Bit tired here, getting late, but hope some of that made sense!

• @ChrisG kind of what I have been wondering since the DM1 confusion.

So it's preset/song recalling as apposed to state saving.

It could be a good option for the likes of Cubasis to recall projects by name as DM1 seems to recall songs by name.

• Agree with Chris. If for nothing else than a support perspective. That's going to confuse a lot of people.

That said, does DM1 really need to save state within the AB preset? I mean, it saves its state on every change with or without AB. What would it save in addition? We already know that most apps containing samples aren't really portable state saves and DM1 uses samples so perhaps the distinction is 'portable' states?

• edited April 2014

@syrupcore Well, people could share a DM1 preset on the forum and then we could load up their killer drum pattern. There's so much potential in save states for sharing synth patches, FX design, etc.

• @syrupcore said:

That said, does DM1 really need to save state within the AB preset? I mean, it saves its state on every change with or without AB. What would it save in addition?

What if I have DM1 in 3 separate projects ?

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@syrupcore Well, people could share a DM1 preset on the forum and then we could load up their killer drum pattern. There's so much potential in save states for sharing synth patches, FX design, etc.

I think saving of DM1 patches within the AB2 would probably need Dropbox for custom kits etc.....saying that Sector saves the loop so who knows?

• @DaveMagoo Well, it should be possible for the standard kits at least. :)

• Any news on when Garageband will update to allow Save States?

• @DaveMagoo said:

@syrupcore said:

That said, does DM1 really need to save state within the AB preset? I mean, it saves its state on every change with or without AB. What would it save in addition?

What if I have DM1 in 3 separate projects ?

Each project would point to whichever song you have saved (could be the same for all three or could be three separate songs).

• I hope they do this with Auria projects and the like, that would be great news :)

• For simple "badges" for the dropdown menu that opens after pressing the plus sign, may I suggest a green dot for complete state-saving to the right of the app name and a yellow dot for partial state-saving (doesn't save samples for instance).

A filter option to choose only state-saving apps would also be useful for setting things up quickly.

• Not a big fan of adding coloured dots. You might know what they mean but for new users they're very confusing. We've got to find a different solution.

• edited April 2014

When you save a preset it gives you a message at the bottom advising what has been saved.

Can it not just advise eg: DM1 'preset' saved , Nave 'state' saved, Auria 'Project' saved?

• edited April 2014

@Sebastian said:

Not a big fan of adding coloured dots. You might know what they mean but for new users they're very confusing. We've got to find a different solution.

I don't disagree that a better solution is out there waiting to be found but something like dots are unobtrusive to new users. It's ok if they don't mean anything. I wouldn't use color though.